Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
tl;dr: Skip to the dashed line below!

Picking a Username: The Quest for the Holy Grail

That username is already in use or does not meet the administrator's standards.
Aww, taken. Well, I'd rather have a unique(ish) nick, and I feel like this site warrants something besides my usual aliases (also, why let search engines associate even more of my accounts? :wink:).

*Searches a thesaurus for ideas while listening to music from the ISFP whatcha-listening-to thread; three to five minutes pass*

Hmm, this one's kinda clever.
  • Play on words? Check!
  • Something that somewhat describes me? Check!
  • Something I can relate to? Check!
...but I don't like the implication or deeper meaning of one of the word combinations. I don't want to associate myself with that, even if it might be true at the moment. Alrighty then, moving on...

*Browses around various threads on PerCafe, indulging in both the content and other peoples' usernames as possible suggestions or guidelines*

Still nothing after another ten minutes!? And what do you mean I need 15 posts before I can share links!?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!! :angry:

FINE! I'll register now! I'll just go with the simple one...:mellow:

Why must choosing a username be so complicated? :tongue: (rhetorical question - because it "has to be" the perfect one!)
</ramble>

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys,

Stumbled upon PerCafe two days ago. So far, I like what I see!

I've been pegged by most of my recent MBTI tests as an ISFP, although I feel I might be part INTP. Type 4w5 sounds fairly accurate for my Enneagram type.

Oh, and $%#@ the SLOAN types. I'm more interested in the positive side of things. It's way too easy to find and focus on the negatives, IMO.

Background-wise, I'm halfway through third year software engineering, although I've been resenting it more the farther I've gotten in the program. Currently taking a year off school, working full-time as a web developer (not designer), and more or less wandering through life looking for clues to the seemingly elusive question: "Who am I?".

That's enough text for now, so I'll end it here.

Besides, the less I type, the less I'll compulsively go back, reformat, rewrite, rephrase, and edit! :crazy:

EDIT: D'oh, too late!

- Wayfarer

·
Registered
179 Posts
Welcome to PersonalityCafe :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
LOL it is very long and rambly :3

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I regret nothing!

Achievement Unlocked: "I found my Way!"
Read the entirety of Wayfarer's intro thread.

·
Registered
145 Posts
the name choosing also took me a lot of time....hehehehe XDXDXD

·
Registered
NiTe 549
5,321 Posts
@Wayfarer :

I like your name.

If you're really interested in figuring out your type (or just exploring what else it might be), it might be best to go with a cognitive functions perspective, which delves a bit deeper than MBTI. I doubt it'd be easy to be an ISFP (Fi>Se>Ni>Te) and yet part INTP (Ti>Ne>Si>Fe), seeing as the cognitive processing is entirely different.

Then again, you wouldn't be the first to report not fitting a theoretical model.

The What's My Personality Type? subforum has more personalized typing efforts, if that interests you.

In any case, welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, thanks for stopping in! :D

You're funny. Hi and welllllcommmmeeee*&^!#*&!^!
Glad I could help. :p

the name choosing also took me a lot of time....hehehehe XDXDXD
Lol, so it's not just me who obsesses over "little things" like this! xD

Out of curiosity, what does your username mean or represent to you?

@Wayfarer :

I like your name.

If you're really interested in figuring out your type (or just exploring what else it might be), it might be best to go with a cognitive functions perspective, which delves a bit deeper than MBTI. I doubt it'd be easy to be an ISFP (Fi>Se>Ni>Te) and yet part INTP (Ti>Ne>Si>Fe), seeing as the cognitive processing is entirely different.

Then again, you wouldn't be the first to report not fitting a theoretical model.

The What's My Personality Type? subforum has more personalized typing efforts, if that interests you.

In any case, welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay.
Figuring out more about myself is part of what brought me to PerC. To be honest, I barely have any background knowledge regarding the MBTI, or how the various introverted & extroverted variations of the different dimensions supposedly manifest - it's just another lens to look through to gain new insights and perspectives about myself and people in general.

"I doubt it'd be easy to be an ISFP (Fi>Se>Ni>Te) and yet part INTP (Ti>Ne>Si>Fe), seeing as the cognitive processing is entirely different."​
I'm not even sure how this works myself, nor how to describe it. At times, I'm primarily logical, rational, and down-to-earth. Other times, especially as of recent, I care more about how I feel than whether or not something makes rational sense, more creative, and more focused on being present, rather than getting caught up in my thoughts. Could be that two decades of repressed emotions are finally starting to make their way out of me, kicking and screaming, bringing me more in tune with my right brain, my feelings, and my emotional self. Either way, it feels like some sort of strange dichotomy where I can end up anywhere on or between two distinct "ways of being".

Anyways, thanks for the tip about the personality type subforum - maybe something more specific might be a good complement to what I'm currently aware of.

·
Registered
NiTe 549
5,321 Posts
I'm not even sure how this works myself, nor how to describe it. At times, I'm primarily logical, rational, and down-to-earth. Other times, especially as of recent, I care more about how I feel than whether or not something makes rational sense, more creative, and more focused on being present, rather than getting caught up in my thoughts. Could be that two decades of repressed emotions are finally starting to make their way out of me, kicking and screaming, bringing me more in tune with my right brain, my feelings, and my emotional self. Either way, it feels like some sort of strange dichotomy where I can end up anywhere on or between two distinct "ways of being".

Anyways, thanks for the tip about the personality type subforum - maybe something more specific might be a good complement to what I'm currently aware of.
Hum. Two decades of repressed emotions? Reaction to circumstance, or personal choice?

Never mind if you don't want to answer, I won't take offense.

Anyhow, cognitive development seems capable of bringing different functions to the fore at different times in a person's life. It doesn't mean personality type changes (theoretically), just that a person has different elements of their native mentality they discover and fortify to stay in balance/adapt to change.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum :happy:
Thanks! Psychedelic avatar! :crazy:

Hum. Two decades of repressed emotions? Reaction to circumstance, or personal choice?
Bit of both, I'd say. Partly as a way to deal with circumstances, partly because I wasn't (am not?) comfortable expressing my emotions around other people, partly because I was attached to the thought that expressing emotions made one "weak" (especially in public), and partly because I don't want to burden other people with my problems.

Anyhow, cognitive development seems capable of bringing different functions to the fore at different times in a person's life. It doesn't mean personality type changes (theoretically), just that a person has different elements of their native mentality they discover and fortify to stay in balance/adapt to change.
Fair enough. It's probably my lack of understanding of what "personality" encompasses.

I read through some of the cognitive function stickies, and came to the conclusion that my top four cognitive functions are:

Fi > Se > Ni > Te, which matches my current MBTI profile (ISFP).

Upon further reflection, it's quite likely that my brother is an ENTJ, which would make sense, given how we're more or less polar opposites.

·
Registered
NiTe 549
5,321 Posts
Bit of both, I'd say. Partly as a way to deal with circumstances, partly because I wasn't (am not?) comfortable expressing my emotions around other people, partly because I was attached to the thought that expressing emotions made one "weak" (especially in public), and partly because I don't want to burden other people with my problems.
Ah.

Much of your perspective here echoes that of my INFP friend, a fellow male Fi/Te type. "Male" descriptor added because societal pressure seems to be against males expressing emotion most of the time.

Fair enough. It's probably my lack of understanding of what "personality" encompasses.

I read through some of the cognitive function stickies, and came to the conclusion that my top four cognitive functions are:

Fi > Se > Ni > Te, which matches my current MBTI profile (ISFP).
Cool beans. Perhaps you have a better grasp than you thought, at least of this particular personality theory.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Out of curiosity, what does your username mean or represent to you?
my name is actually from an anime character who i do not put his full name ^^
maybe i'll change it someday, some....day..........

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
welcome to the forum, fellow ISFP. I edit my posts a lot too :p

Reactions: Stephen

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for stopping by! :)

I'm not sure where else to post this, so I guess I'll stick it here.

Part of my confusion is a result of my belief that I've developed my Thinking (probably Te, but not 100% on that) and possibly even iNtuitive functions more than my Fi or Se, which could well be the case.

Between two to 8 years ago, I took a few MBTI tests and scored as an INTJ, and back then, I remember firmly believing that to be true. I find that interesting...same top four cognitive functions, different order.

As best as I can tell, I only started noticing, paying attention to, and nurturing my Fi within the last couple months. Se, at least, I've been developing for maybe 2-3 years.

While I tend to go with my gut feeling nowadays when making most decisions, I (still) tend to rationalize things, to see if they logically make sense or not. At the same time though, I'm able to rationalize in trusting my instincts rather than (not-so-)common sense/logic with a rationale along the lines of "My instincts will point me in the right direction, whether I currently recognize it as such or not, because my subconscious knows what it wants even if I'm not consciously aware of it, and there's usually too much information to filter, sort, and process to make a rational decision in a timely manner. As such, after the fact, my decision(s) will make sense rationally" - which to me, makes sense.

I think what I was referring to when I said the following relates to the development / strength of my cognitive functions being different than those of a "typical" ISFP:
At times, I'm primarily logical, rational, and down-to-earth. Other times, especially as of recent, I care more about how I feel than whether or not something makes rational sense, more creative, and more focused on being present, rather than getting caught up in my thoughts.
There's much more that I'd like to say regarding my cognitive functions, but I'm not able to express at the moment.

Feels nice to realize this, and be able to express even some of it. :proud:

Also, I wonder if I'd be better off creating a blog for posts like this...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts