Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
“He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words.”
Elbert Hubbard

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Albert Einstein

“A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows public opinion.”

“Sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down.”

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
Yoda

“To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”
Isaac Newton

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
Napoleon Bonaparte

Imagination rules the world.
Napoleon Bonaparte

Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools.
Napoleon Bonaparte

We must laugh at man to avoid crying for him.
Napoleon Bonaparte

“The evil men do lives after them. The good is oft interred with their bones.”
Julius Caesar

·
Registered
330 Posts
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.
Otto von Bismarck

Every great advance in science has issued from a new audacity of imagination.
John Dewey

If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible, he is almost certainly right; but if he says that it is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
Arthur C. Clarke

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'
Isaac Asimov

A subtle thought that is in error may yet give rise to fruitful inquiry that can establish truths of great value.
Isaac Asimov

·
Banned
2,877 Posts
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.
-Calvin & Hobbes

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
-Winston Churchill

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
-Winston Churchill

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Over specialize and you'll breed in weakness- The Major in Ghost in the Shell (not sure if I wrote it right)

The reason I talk to myself is that I'm the only one whose answers I accept. - George Carlin

Difficulty is the excuse history never accepts.-Edward R. Murrow

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.-Benjamin Franklin

Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out.-Benjamin Franklin

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.-Lao Tzu

I've never let my school interfere with my education.-Mark Twain

It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.-Albert Einstein

got most of these from Famous Quotes and Quotations at BrainyQuote

·
Registered
344 Posts
"My fault, my failure, is not in the passions I have, but in my lack of control of them."
— Jack Kerouac

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

"Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing.
What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance." – Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician:
he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie (1867 - 1934)

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

— Bertrand Russell

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude."

— Ralph Waldo Emerson

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

— Theodore Roosevelt

"The most important thing to do in your life is to not interfere with somebody else's life."

— Frank Zappa

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST."

— Frank Zappa

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

— Buddha

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be."

— Kurt Vonnegut

"Just because some of us can read and write and do a little math, that doesn't mean we deserve to conquer the Universe."

— Kurt Vonnegut

“Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?”

— Hunter S. Thompson

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

— Jack Kerouac

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
"Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends." -Woody Allen

"It is impossible to experience one's own death objectively and still carry a tune." -Woody Allen

"Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does." -Jean-Paul Sartre

"The ultimate and most important revolutionary aspiration: to see human beings liberated from their alienation." -Ernesto 'Che' Guevara

"Being entirely honest with oneself is a good exercise." -Sigmund Freud

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed." -Carl Gustav Jung

·
Registered
479 Posts
See my signature.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
(This was an actual Churchill quote, it just looks so much better in this format.)

(They asked for total war, let us make sure they get it!)

·
Registered
427 Posts
"If it weren’t for electricity, we’d all be watching television by candlelight. —George Gobel

"Repeat an action - you develop a habit. Repeat the habit - you develop your nature. Repeat your nature - you develop your destiny." ...or something along those lines

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
With a little twist.

I'm a big fan of tesla, here are his thoughts on other types.

ISTJ
If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search. ... I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.

INTJ/INTP
"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality."

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt
The problem for me with this one, is that it's discussing people. It's a small-minded quote.

I love every single thing that Terry Pratchet has ever written but since I'm short on time...
here's something from a book I read.

“No more words. An act. I’ll never write again.” - Cesare Pavese

But I love simply:

No more words. An act.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts