Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're a rare personality type, but I'm curious about the ranges of ENTPs on here, specifically as far as leadership, dominance and not-taking-shit-from-people is concerned. I rank myself high on all of those three, but I'm not sure if it is naturally so or if it is due to the large amount of research I've done on human behavior and human communication, since I WANT to rank high on all three.

So where do you guys lie on the scale? And what are some other differences between us?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I can't think of any other differences at the time, because I am actually not that obsessed with these personality types. I know what I am, and that is all.

Leadership- I tend to be high; I like to lead, and I rally people around whatever I want to.
Dominance- I personality like equality.
not-taking-people's-BS- I don't do that AT ALL unless they are really crazy and have a gun pointed to my head.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I only take the leadership role if there isn't an established leader or if the current leader is stupid.

I'm only dominant when pushed.

And I don't take shit from anyone, I tend to be giving the shits, actually. Har, har, har~

·
Registered
137 Posts
Practically the same as Monte here.

I only take leadership if its a stong skill of mine, if I believe my skill is stronger than the leader, or if no one will step forward.

I dont try to be dominant unless challenged.

I do usually dont take any BS, just dish it out.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Leadership: I am in the position where I do it fairly often, but don't get excited about it, except in certain situations: troubleshooting or problem solving. When everyone is panicking or dumbfounded, I eagerly assume leadership and seem to turn into some kind of ENTJ/ESTP/ENTP super combo.

Dominance: Most of the time

not-taking-people's-BS: I take it, but give it right back.

·
Banned
8,597 Posts
As far as leadership is concerned, I've always found the concept of leadership to be nebulous and what essentially amounts to persuading others to your POV or to get others to do what you want them to. I consider myself to have a fairly effective leadership style, meaning I like to build relationships and create mutually beneficial situations. So long answer short: I consider myself to have a democratic, mutually beneficial leadership style.

Dominance: See above. Gorillas dominate, humans collaborate. :tongue:

Take-no-BS: I'd like to say I don't take BS from anyone, but that'd be a pretty bald faced lie. The truth of the matter is, working with other people is going to create friction and what amounts to perceived BS due to miscommunication, personality conflicts and just plain 'ol not liking someone's directions. So I don't take BS from others whenever possible but there are times when I have to suck it up and just accept it. (Thankfully that seems to be pretty rare these days.)

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Leadership: I don't like dictating actions to people. I set a direction and expectations and frame the problem and then turn people loose to solve it. If obstacles arise I address them. If someone is unhappy or can't deliver I find a way to manage them out of the equation. If I need to constantly monitor and motivate someone like a fast food worker I start to hate life very quickly.

Dominance: I'm dominant in indirect ways. I am the one gathering info while keeping his mouth shut and smiling, or saying outlandish things to get people to tip their hands for me. Being outwardly dominant is a sure way to fuck up and make myself a target, I find.

Take No Shit: At this point in my life and career I take quite a bit of shit. But I'm mining data in that shit. And the more that gets thrown at me the more I have to sink whomever is doing the throwing.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Leadership: Somewhat reluctantly, and as SlowPoke and others have stated, I like to give the directions and the persons are being handed own responsibility. Then they work independently unless some problem arises. I check up on them and steer a bit if the path strays or if I decide that we must alter course. But it does come naturally, of sorts....

Dominance: Equality is better. But with respect for competence. I f I a more competent than someone who tries to dominate, then I really have to bite my tongue... Sexually it varies: Can be dominant at times f I REALLY FEEL SAFE with a person. I do NOT feel the need to dominate anyone to feel better about myself...

Take shit: That is part of being a man, and evolving. The question is: What will you do with it/about it? Is it merited?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Hmm....
Leadership: I used to do it a lot more, but after a while realised that for other people. having a leader can be an excuse to fail to take responsibility for their own decisions and stop pulling their weight. Being the named leader means more work. I find myself better placed having someone else in that role, and then giving them the benefit of my opinion often :wink:
Say it myself, I am a brilliant chair of committees though.

Dominance: doesn't interest me as much as it interest certain others in the workplace or in life, so I am happy to let them think they have it, as long as I can have my own way when I really want to, which is usually achievable. Being able to recognise what is not in fact important and step aside is a useful skill.

Taking no bullshit: absolutely, I never do without returning serve:tongue:. I usually reflect on what I thought might have been bullshit though, and can accept if there was an element of truth in it, and own up to that. How else do we grow?

Seems to me if you are always a leader, always dominant, always taking no BS but giving it out....you are always giving your energy out and can't see what others are putting in. That makes you a little blind.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Leadership - I am usually a leader in various situations, but if it is in an area of expertise that I am not confident in, then I try and just help out and give suggestions and do what I am told.

Dominance - To some extent, but only subtly.
I get things done by being assertive. eg. I am willing to step aside if the person has something that I can agree/ partly agree with etc.

Not-taking-shit-from-people - I would like to think I don't take shit from people. Sometimes it does get to me. But for the most part, I know when someone has crossed the line and so will they.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Leadership: What MisterNi and Slowpoke said.

Dominance: Oh yeah! I love this shit....especially when my wife does it to me in the bedroom. Thank you ma'am may I have another!

Taking shit?: Hell yeah I take shit from other people...and then I give it right back with extreme prejudice.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
As far as leadership is concerned, I've always found the concept of leadership to be nebulous and what essentially amounts to persuading others to your POV or to get others to do what you want them to. I consider myself to have a fairly effective leadership style, meaning I like to build relationships and create mutually beneficial situations. So long answer short: I consider myself to have a democratic, mutually beneficial leadership style.

Dominance: See above. Gorillas dominate, humans collaborate. :tongue:

Take-no-BS: I'd like to say I don't take BS from anyone, but that'd be a pretty bald faced lie. The truth of the matter is, working with other people is going to create friction and what amounts to perceived BS due to miscommunication, personality conflicts and just plain 'ol not liking someone's directions. So I don't take BS from others whenever possible but there are times when I have to suck it up and just accept it. (Thankfully that seems to be pretty rare these days.)
Leadership: I don't like dictating actions to people. I set a direction and expectations and frame the problem and then turn people loose to solve it. If obstacles arise I address them. If someone is unhappy or can't deliver I find a way to manage them out of the equation. If I need to constantly monitor and motivate someone like a fast food worker I start to hate life very quickly.

Dominance: I'm dominant in indirect ways. I am the one gathering info while keeping his mouth shut and smiling, or saying outlandish things to get people to tip their hands for me. Being outwardly dominant is a sure way to fuck up and make myself a target, I find.

Take No Shit: At this point in my life and career I take quite a bit of shit. But I'm mining data in that shit. And the more that gets thrown at me the more I have to sink whomever is doing the throwing.
I love being lazy

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Leadership ~ Yes, I almost always prefer to be the leader in any situation. I'm often appointed leader too because I'm very good at it. If I'm usually kind of irresponsible, in a leading position I become super-responsible and get excited about whatever the goal/project is, and make sure people work cohesively ...

Dominance ~ It really depends on my mood. Most of the time I think I tend to be either quietly dominant or on equal terms with people. It depends on the other person. If they're kind of slow & quiet, I'll be very dominating (usually in a considerate way, sometimes not). If they're dominant themselves, I get sort of inwardly competitive and I match their level of assertiveness. But with most people who are just in-between, I prefer a more equal, mellow interaction style.

Taking shit ~ No I don't take shit from people. I always argue my side. The only occasion where maybe I'd sit and take it would be if the shit-giver is almost laughably stupid, and it's just not worth my energy.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Leadership- I don't like to lead...I stay in the background if someone is competent. I prefer to influence. However I probably am likely to but heads with someone in a leadership position as if I want to be leader but in reality most of the times I have no interest.

Dominance- I don't like to dominate. I treat people as I would like to be treated.

not-taking-people's-BS: When it's important I don't but if it can avoid conflict and it's not worth my time then I just let it go.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I knew dominant was the wrong word when I typed it. Couldn't remember "assertive". So replace dominant with assertive. Basically the ability to hold your own and not be a pushover. That's what I meant by it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I knew dominant was the wrong word when I typed it. Couldn't remember "assertive". So replace dominant with assertive. Basically the ability to hold your own and not be a pushover. That's what I meant by it.
I certainly don't just let other people treat me any old way they want to. I used to but i've become more assertive over the last few years. I'm probably not as assertive in some situations as other people might be but I definitely don't take crap from people where I feel it's really important.

·
Registered
83 Posts
"Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower." - Steve Jobs

When I'm at my best, I can innovate and lead people.

I'm dominant, but I like what someone else said about 'not being outwardly dominant because you can become a target.' I think that's great advice.

I don't take shit from just anyone. Added, I know when and how to play politics.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Leadership - I don't really like having to lead as most people like to be tol what to do and I prefer to tell people what needs done and leave them to think it out. In the same way I hate being told what to do I much prefer that people tell me what needs done and let me figure out how to do it best! So far in life I've not found any solutions for these preferences as most people seem to fall in they tell others exactly what to do or let others tell them what to do catagories!

Dominance - Never really care tbh. I know I'm the shiz I don't feel the need to prove it to anyone.

Taking BS - Hmm I used to never take BS but now rather than correct people I've just got to the stage where I dismiss people who BS me cause its not worth the hassle to correct them most the time!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
We're a rare personality type, but I'm curious about the ranges of ENTPs on here, specifically as far as leadership, dominance and not-taking-shit-from-people is concerned. I rank myself high on all of those three, but I'm not sure if it is naturally so or if it is due to the large amount of research I've done on human behavior and human communication, since I WANT to rank high on all three.

So where do you guys lie on the scale? And what are some other differences between us?
Lets see, leadership I'd rank myself medium. I don't take orders well, so if I'm placed as a "follower", then I will still be up there with the leader either arguing or helping brainstorm or pointing in a direction I think is better. I prefer working WITH somebody as equals rather than everybody relying on me, but if a group is going in circles running into each other, I'd be the one to create some form of order and make it more productive.

Dominance, I think again a medium. I'm a neutral person. I don't like to be dominated and I don't like to dominate either.

Not taking shit off people is high. I will not be used as a doormat and I will not be manipulated for your benefit and if you try, you will be sorry.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Leadership - Medium. In a group assignment or things like that, I tend to take the lead. Socially, I kick back and relax; I'm mostly the clown in a group, the one who supplies laughter and endless randomness. I'm way too lazy to compete with people who want to be the center of attention.

Dominance - High. I hate being dominated.

Not taking BS - Low, actually. Growing up with an odd variety of people with clashing personalities and constant drama in the air, I've learned to just chill out and let whatever BS they pull fly right over my head, unless they've really done something to piss me off big-time, like spread false rumors that I actually care to correct. But the closer I am to a person, the less I take BS from him/her, since I expect that person to be better than to dish out BS at me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts