About to retire? Explain yourself.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I don't get why people dramatize "retiring." So you're temporarily leaving the forum. :/ Also, why do so many PerC members even do it?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I don't get why people dramatize "retiring." So you're temporarily leaving the forum. :/ Also, why do so many PerC members even do it?
I planned to leave, forever. *cue dramatic background music*

As you can see, these plans didn't match up with reality.

Reactions: Ista

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I could maybe see myself retiring if I had a lot of important things to do and deadlines to meet, but seeing as I'm barely active in the first place, and PerC is barely a distraction, I don't see myself retiring anytime soon. Maybe someday I'll get tired of this place but not yet.

·
Registered
451 Posts
My cat is attacking my knee

I guess I can understand why people “retire.”

It's a symbolic gesture. “Don't expect me back any time soon, if at all,” is what the tag says to me.
It can serve as an extra hurdle to posting; an aid to self-control for people who've found themselves in a compulsive pattern. I believe you have to email an admin to un-retire, so just that bit of an inconvenience can in theory be the extra straw to stay away.
And then, maybe those things and the act itself, and the rabble that surrounds it, causes some sense of closure.

But... I don't see why I would bother to. The only closure I need for the internet is the identification that there's something else I'd rather be doing. If I get tired of a site, I stop going to it!

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Why did I want to retire?

- A shitload of work. Currently graduating from Gymnasium. Basically I should have been working on some tasks (I have to accomplish to graduate) since september - I procrastinated succesfully for half a year. I thought I couldn´t make it til deadline, which would mean I can´t graduate. I made up a schedule, talked with teachers and started working. Right now it seems to me, that it will be no problem.

- I have financial problems, virtually no friends and no girlfriend, I am a fucking loser - I wanted to change something in my life.
Among other things, I deleted all my online profiles and went to interviews for a part-time job. On my first interview I got the job immediately. (It´s not even bad: 12 euros the hour for a pupil) Yet I have to find those friends and a girlfriend.......... (Btw If someone has tips concerning those matters - Go ahead)

Why am I back?

I saw that I had more enough time to be at least at one forum. I chose this one.

Why would I retire in the future?

- When I start studying I´ll surely go
- When forum gets boring
- When I spend too much time here

·
Registered
207 Posts
For those who have retired, what made you choose it versus just logging off and not receiving/responding to any notifications? I tried asking this in the Confessions thread (where JPS and Orchidion announced their retirements), but all I got was flak from Graficcha basically saying it was none of my business.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
For those who have retired, what made you choose it versus just logging off and not receiving/responding to any notifications? I tried asking this in the Confessions thread (where JPS and Orchidion announced their retirements), but all I got was flak from Graficcha basically saying it was none of my business.
I felt that I needed to be on my own, and I didn't plan to return. Not much later I contradicted myself.

·
King of Seduction
ENTJ
7,535 Posts
I don't know why I'd ever retire from an internet forum.
Seems pretty simple to get bored and move on or realize it's a distraction and move on.

The interesting thing is I've been on internet forums for a long time and it seems to turn out that either the forum is deleted or I get banned (only happened once). Off the top of my head I can't think of a forum I posted in frequently and I just decided enough was enough.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I felt that I needed to be on my own, and I didn't plan to return. Not much later I contradicted myself.
Yes, but why not just log off?

Reactions: NeonBomb

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts