Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am studying psychology, and the more I read about the psychodynamics of the schizoid personality, the more I find it fits me - introversion, detachment, interest in spiritual / philosophical matters, a fear of being too close to people, a very 'calm' appearance, lack of being driven towards one's goals, only a few relationships, lack of social skills, and so on.

Do all INFPs consider themselves as having a schizoid personality? In my framework a schizoid personality is different from a schizoid personality disorder, the latter being a diagnosis that may be given to the former when it is reasonably dysfunctional. The schizoid person comes with certain strengths.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I admittedly do not know much about it. But just from your description there.. Somewhat?

I am definitely very introverted (duh) and perhaps a little detached, or I guess I come off that way. And I do like philosophy.

But I fear the opposite of being too close to people.. Although I generally only have a few relationships, I am usually much more interested in other people than they are in me. I become very infatuated, even in friendships, because once I like a person I find them infinitely fascinating. I intensely fear losing them, or them not wanting to be close to me.

I don't really lack social skills so much as I lack a desire to interact with people. When I am forced to socialize, I'm actually quite charming, if I can say so myself. :p I'm good at small talk, despite hating it. My job entails meeting a lot of new people every day and I'm good at it. I just come home exhausted.

So yeah, some of it is there. I should read up on it and give you a better answer; Again, this is just going off the few things you listed. I'm vaguely aware of what schizoid personality disorder is supposed to be like, but I won't pretend to know enough to really say whether I identify with a schizoid personality type or not.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Somewhat like me - I mean, yes, the characteristics you describe are all like me - but I would think that a personality 'disorder' would be defined by the degree to which it interferes with a person's life or ability to form meaningful relationships, which, I believe only very minutely fits me. Perhaps Schizoid Personality Disorder Lite...

Okay, so I just reread what you actually wrote and realised that you were talking in terms of a personality rather than a personality disorder...yes, this sounds like me...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I used to consider I had a schizoid personality, but I found that I was only using that sort of self-diagnosis as a defense mechanism to avoid reckoning with the loneliness I didn't know how to express. I spent most of my childhood with no indication that anyone wanted to spend time with me, so I wanted to embrace some sort of identity that said "fine, I don't need them anyway." But then I found people who were actually interested in building a meaningful relationship with me - feelings that I had to realize I reciprocated.

I guess it sounds really condescending to say "you probably just need to wait until you find the right people," but I think it's a very real possibility.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Please don't start diagnosing yourselves, especially if you feel fine. Nothing good comes of it.
^This, a thousand times this.

You could open up the DSM and find that you match a lot of surprising things, but the devil's in the details. That said, no, I have never felt that I have a schizoid personality despite matching most of the given qualifications. And even if I did? What I do for myself, how I view myself, the ways I'm trying to learn to be a better person, how much I like learning about myself and the rest of the world? That's not going to change and if someone lets a diagnosis do that to themselves...they're probably just looking for a reason to act a certain way or an excuse. I have a bit of personal experience with excuses and diagnosis', sometimes in tandem.

And the exception would be if said mental illness was one you actually had and you were not living a healthy life conducive to your own mental and physical health in the first place.... so, there's my thoughts on it. It sounds pretty objective, but I don't really feel like going back and changing my wording - I know everyone's different, but that's my experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
those with a schizoid personality don't really care about others and have a limited emotional range....seems very un-INFP to me..
The above description to me is limited and based on the DSM. Actually the psychoanalytic and object relations view has quite a different approach, expecially when it is considered a psychology and not neccessarily "pathological". Like other things in psychology, there is a range of functioning. I feel I have "schizoid dynamics" and have a large emotional range, have great social instincts but am quite a afraid of relationships other than a couple select friends. I also think I am an INFP.

I would suggest reading the essay "Some Thoughts on Schizoid Dynamics" (Google it) which opened my eyes. It's author is highly respected in the psychoanalytic world. (and I saw her for a consult).

The main thing is not to focus on "pathology". I also was brought into this concept by it's focus on sensitivity and susceptibility of being overwhelmed and losing "self integrity".

Interesting stuff...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Please don't start diagnosing yourselves, especially if you feel fine. Nothing good comes of it.
I completely agree with this. What can be diagnosied as a disorder by someone else, may not be a disorder but just another way of traversing the world. If no one ever told me that I had a fissured and geographic tongue, I would have never known anything was wrong with me. Now I know that it's not normal to have your tongue hurt after eating a banana, but it's not really a "disorder" it doesn't affect me.

Same with these "schizoid" tendencies, so what you're a little more cautious, if it isn't preventing you from living your life normally then its fine. If you can't trust ANYONE, or you seriously think this world isn't reality etc. or there's people watching you... go get help. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it!

·
Registered
529 Posts
The above description to me is limited and based on the DSM. Actually the psychoanalytic and object relations view has quite a different approach, expecially when it is considered a psychology and not neccessarily "pathological". Like other things in psychology, there is a range of functioning. I feel I have "schizoid dynamics" and have a large emotional range, have great social instincts but am quite a afraid of relationships other than a couple select friends. I also think I am an INFP.

I would suggest reading the essay "Some Thoughts on Schizoid Dynamics" (Google it) which opened my eyes. It's author is highly respected in the psychoanalytic world. (and I saw her for a consult).

The main thing is not to focus on "pathology". I also was brought into this concept by it's focus on sensitivity and susceptibility of being overwhelmed and losing "self integrity".

Interesting stuff...
I wrote that almost 3 years ago doing my psych rotation at med school...thankfully I have changed my opinions on personality "disorders". I agree with your post.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've read up on schizoid personality disorder and could relate on the autonomy and loner aspects BUT schizoids are devoid of feeling where infps as introverted as our feelings may be, are and will always be deep down in our wells. We can do a venn diagram and compare our sims and diffs but in the end, the feeling thing is what disqualifies us and we're stuck with having only infp personality disorder.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Nope. I enjoy socializing as much as possible and have good social skills even if I am really shy. This sounds very un-INFP like to me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't think schizoid is similar to the INFP type at all actually. That being said I still absolutely think any type can develop any mental illness but I do also believe certain personality traits (not types) are more prone to developing certain disorders.If I had to give an example of how I believe schizoid personality disorder looks like I would relate it to the character Sheldon Cooper from the Big Bang Theory. I have been studying mental illness in a few psychology classes and I have given the subject of which types are most similar to which personality disorder (just for fun I know they aren't related) I would call INFP looking more like Schizotypical personality disorder. But I don't believe types are related to disorders. That being said you personally being an INFP could still have traits of the disorder or have the disorder itself but I don't think all INFPs look like any particular disorder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts

That's a really apt way of putting it. I'm also a psychologist.
Disconnection doesn't necessarily come from the intent of being cold, but can also be a result of not being able to handle the consequences of connection.

It's interesting to use the CBT lens to understand what we broadly term as 'personality disorders' because you start seeing linkages to core beliefs about people, the world and society based on early interactions or recent stressors. These terms can (as is true with most diagnostic labels) be reductive about a much richer story.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm INFP and literally developed Schizophrenic symptoms
Ppl freak out and I'm like okay you're ESFJ? OCD. Next

Sadly the site that lists all of the dispositions was destroyed, CelebrityTypes

1 - 20 of 20 Posts