Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I frequently have to go back on a response I've written and had to take out some of my favorite comments simply because they didn't meet the topic of the thread at hand. I would suspect this to be a pretty common problem for us ENFP since we draw such non-obvious connections between things that they can seem almost random to the outside world.

Also, I've seen a bunch of threads on wanting to improve small-talk and conversational banter. So I had this idea for a possible solution.... Let's make a thread whose whole purpose is that of a free conversational style that has no rules, no topic. The Seinfeld Thread! A thread about nothing, but yet about everything.

So, tell a story or talk about the weather or muse about theoretical physics. Post 10 words or 1,000 words or anything in between. Most of all, have fun.

Now that that we have ground rules (or lack thereof), I'll try and start things off by telling one of my favorite stories.

When I was a teenager, our church choir went on a trip to South Dakota. Yep, nothing but the most exotic locales for our group! If you've ever driven in South Dakota, you'll know that about every 100 yards in South Dakota is a billboard for Wall Drug. Wall Drug is the home of all things tacky. A great big section of Wall, South Dakota that is one big tourist mall.

I had been to Wall Drug when I was about 8 years old, so I was familiar with the monstrosity. In particular, I remembered a coin operated game in which you could fight a virtual gunfight with a gunfighter puppet. On my return to Wall Drug, I looked all over town for this thing with one of my friends.

After searching for almost an hour, we found it. There he was, in the back corner of a trinket shop. The black haired mustached puppet was calling me into battle. I proudly dropped my quarter into the slot. The machine lights up what looks like a miniature bowling alley between me and the virtual outlaw. There's a fake revolver in a holster near my right hand. He springs to life! "So you think you're fast? Come on you yellow-bellied sucker, DRAW!" Oh, I'm fast... Very fast.... Billy The Kid would have blushed at my speed.

I draw, aim and pull the trigger all in one smooth motion. Simultaneously, a few lights go out in the back corner of the store.... No matter though, I won the round! "OOOOHHHH You got me," moans the puppet. "I bet you can't do it twice in a row though! Come on, DRAW!"

Oh, I am so up to the task. No puppet is going to intimidate me! This time Wyatt Earp would have been impressed. I am so smooth, I am even able to convince myself at this point that I was born in the wrong century. I could have been a legend, damn. This time again though, simultaneously as my trigger squeeze, the virtual bowling alley between me and my puppet nemesis goes dark. "OOOOHHHH YOU GOT ME AGAIN! You must have cheated!!!" "One last try! DRAW!"

I am so good. In my head I hear children gasp and women cry. This time though, simultaneous with my trigger pull the entire store goes dark! No response from Puppet Man, I think I must have killed him. My buddy and I are in complete shock. I look at him, he says "Let's get out of here." We promptly bolt out the door and run 2 blocks to a lemonade stand. We figure we're far enough away from the scene of the crime and thirsty enough now to order a lemonade.

"Two lemonades, please." The nice lady responds, "I'd love to get you lemonades, but the power just went out and I can't open my cash register." OMG!

So, we go to a little mini-mart grocery store where some teenage worker is looking around the store with a flashlight. Meanwhile the old store owner is in the background moaning, "I've been running this store for 50 years and I've never had the power go out like this! It's the busiest day of the year and now we can't even sell anything!"

The power was still out an hour later when we had to board our choir bus to move on to the next town. One of the other choir kids who wasn't with us at the gunslinger game said that he heard that two teenage boys did something that took the power out to the town.

My buddy and I were happy to see the bus leave the dark town. I've never been back to Wall, SD. Somehow, I bet there's Wanted posters of me up on the wall at the post office there.

Eat your heart out Billy The Kid.

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
I just spent 1 hour explaining the difference (in pronunciation) between cheap, sheep and ship. :bored:

I got the cutest new mug that is contributing to my coffee addiction.

De profundis has really changed the way I view Oscar Wilde. :dry:

Reactions: AgAu

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just spent 1 hour explaining the difference (in pronunciation) between cheap, sheep and ship. :bored:
Yay, someone else wants to talk about nothing with me!

OMG One day I had to explain to my deaf sister how two, to and too sound the same. Also, I had to explain to her that I couldn't make a piano call out a dog's name.

mmmm coffee, tall dark roast black for me. Getting colder here now, I think I'll brew up a pot in the morning. I got an awesome bag of French Roast beans that I've barely tapped into.

I'm not much of a literary buff, but I just finished reading all 50,000 words based on your recommendation. Fascinating read, what a tortured soul this poor man had. I find it amazing that someone going through such misery could write with such clarity of thought.

Reactions: starri

·
Registered
601 Posts

Reading at the momment. It thundering through my being as I grast each sentence

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
After going out rollerblading, I came back with the eeriest scar on my leg resembling a sad face.

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
Yay, someone else wants to talk about nothing with me!
HAHA, on any day :D

OMG One day I had to explain to my deaf sister how two, to and too sound the same. Also, I had to explain to her that I couldn't make a piano call out a dog's name.
I keep stumbling on these oddities and many more. ( as I am doing a TESL job nowadays) The piano part suggests something either about your sister's age or IQ.. :p

mmmm coffee, tall dark roast black for me. Getting colder here now, I think I'll brew up a pot in the morning. I got an awesome bag of French Roast beans that I've barely tapped into.
My problem with American coffee, is that no matter how strong it is.. it can't be half the strength of turkish..

Or the strength of a cup of 3 shots espresso :p

<< addict.

I'm not much of a literary buff, but I just finished reading all 50,000 words based on your recommendation. Fascinating read, what a tortured soul this poor man had. I find it amazing that someone going through such misery could write with such clarity of thought.
often misery brings the clarity. don't u notice that while in pain you know exactly what you want?

Reading at the momment. It thundering through my being as I grast each sentence
I am glad everyone's reading it :D but it simply is very different from the rest of Oscar Wilde's work!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
My problem with American coffee, is that no matter how strong it is.. it can't be half the strength of turkish..
OOOh I loooove Turkish coffee. My cezve is the only coffee maker I have in the house and I use it almost everyday. A splash of cardamom goes really well together.

Reactions: starri

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
This thread makes me want to go brew some sort of stimulant drink, and curl up with good book. I'll let you know when I settle on which drink and book.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Green tea and Graham Greene works.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Green tea and Graham Greene works.
Which book? Lately, I've been making a greater effort to take time to read.. I have a very short attention span, and some times it's just hard for me to sit and read. I want too.. just can't sit to do it. :sad:
Currently I'm trying to read The Witching Hour by Anne Rice.
But I've also been looking for other good book recommendations. Have any? :happy:

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Let's make a thread whose whole purpose is that of a free conversational style that has no rules, no topic. The Seinfeld Thread! A thread about nothing, but yet about everything.
Um...I thought this was every ENFP thread?

Now, you're giving us license? Pfft, where's the fun? :dry:

My goal shall be to make this thread cohesive. I gotta be a rebel, ya know...

Reactions: AgAu

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
Which book? Lately, I've been making a greater effort to take time to read.. I have a very short attention span, and some times it's just hard for me to sit and read. I want too.. just can't sit to do it. :sad:
But I've also been looking for other good book recommendations. Have any? :happy:
Have you read anything by Terry Pratchett or Haruki Murakami? They're the two authors I always recommend right off the bat because they're ridiculously amazing. c:

Murakami - Dance Dance Dance, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, A Wild Sheep Chase (+ others, but these are the only three I've read yet, so they're the only ones I feel comfortable reccing)
Pratchett - Everything. No, seriously. Maybe start with Night Watch, Going Postal, or Thief of Time - those three are my absolute favorites and they're all hilarious and infinitely rereadable.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I've got my (not-so-)Portable Graham Greene here, and I opened it to the short stories section.

I totally sympathize. Since I finished college, I just kind of forget about reading, unless I make a ritual of it.

Good books? Well, I'm all about Greene, Conrad and Forster---maybe The Power and the Glory, The Secret Agent, and Where Angels Fear to Tread, respectively. How about Pynchon's Crying of Lot 49? There's always McCormack's First Blast of the Trumpet Against the Monsterous Regiment of Women, to throw a local author at you. There's also a good translation of Ibargüengoitia's Two Crimes floating around, if you can find it. Some short stories by Borges perhaps? Oh, you can't go wrong with the Quixote (unless you get a bad translation that is).

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now, you're giving us license? Pfft, where's the fun? :dry:

My goal shall be to make this thread cohesive. I gotta be a rebel, ya know...
hahahahaha I know it happens in all of our threads, but I always feel guilty doing it. Can't really help it, guilt has had a heavy hand on who I've become. GUILT FREE ZONE HERE THOUGH!

Cohesion? hahahahaha You'll have better luck herding cats.

In closing I have a few words to say...

lunch, fantasy football, beer

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
hahahahaha I know it happens in all of our threads, but I always feel guilty doing it. Can't really help it, guilt has had a heavy hand on who I've become. GUILT FREE ZONE HERE THOUGH!

Cohesion? hahahahaha You'll have better luck herding cats.

In closing I have a few words to say...

lunch, fantasy football, beer
What is this "guilt" you speak of? Can you serve it cold?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Have you read anything by Terry Pratchett or Haruki Murakami? They're the two authors I always recommend right off the bat because they're ridiculously amazing. c:

Murakami - Dance Dance Dance, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, A Wild Sheep Chase (+ others, but these are the only three I've read yet, so they're the only ones I feel comfortable reccing)
Pratchett - Everything. No, seriously. Maybe start with Night Watch, Going Postal, or Thief of Time - those three are my absolute favorites and they're all hilarious and infinitely rereadable.
I actually have the Discworld series by Prachett on my "must read list". I haven't heard of Haruki Murakami. What genre would Haruki Murakami be in?
I'll add Night Watch, Going Postal, and Thief of Time to my Prachett must read list. Thank you so much!! :happy:

·
Registered
830 Posts
I've got my (not-so-)Portable Graham Greene here, and I opened it to the short stories section.

I totally sympathize. Since I finished college, I just kind of forget about reading, unless I make a ritual of it.

Good books? Well, I'm all about Greene, Conrad and Forster---maybe The Power and the Glory, The Secret Agent, and Where Angels Fear to Tread, respectively. How about Pynchon's Crying of Lot 49? There's always McCormack's First Blast of the Trumpet Against the Monsterous Regiment of Women, to throw a local author at you. There's also a good translation of Ibargüengoitia's Two Crimes floating around, if you can find it. Some short stories by Borges perhaps? Oh, you can't go wrong with the Quixote (unless you get a bad translation that is).
I used to read for pleasure almost non stop when I was younger. I think college killed my "reading for pleasure" too. I just got so used to reading X number of chapters for whatever class that I pretty much stopped reading just because it's fun.
I'm (no kidding), making a list of books to read in the future and have added your suggestions to it. Thanks!!
I think the title "Where Angels Fear to Tread" will be the first one on my list of the books you suggested.. because who wouldn't want to know where angels fear to tread?!!!
I also drive 45 minutes each way to work each day.. so I've started listening to books while I drive as well..
Basically I'm just trying to broaden my horizons by being more well read..

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
OOOh I loooove Turkish coffee. My cezve is the only coffee maker I have in the house and I use it almost everyday. A splash of cardamom goes really well together.
Try it with nutmeg :proud:

Reactions: Agile

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I think the title "Where Angels Fear to Tread" will be the first one on my list of the books you suggested.. because who wouldn't want to know where angels fear to tread?!!!
The answer is Italy. :tongue:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts