Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing how some/most of ''us'' enjoy chaos I was wondering....Is it just me or do others have trouble with the abscence of sound?

Can't stand it myself tbh, NEED some kind of ''white noise'' in the background in order to be able to relax.

What about you lovely people?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I can relate. I think it's an introvert/extrovert thing, because whenever I communicate with people (in person, Skype, Tinychat, etc.) I always find that while an extrovert might be really uncomfortable with lulls in conversation and find it awkward, an introvert won't mind at all. In fact, upon asking one of my introverted friends about it, he just thinks a lot and just because he doesn't respond to me doesn't mean he's not listening, but I can never really tell. Introverts don't seem to find awkward silences "awkward" at all.

And yeah I need noise as well. Whenever I need to accomplish anything or I'm just sitting around I'll be doing a bunch of things at once. I have music/TV/video games on and possibly socializing all at the same time and not mind it whatsoever. My mom is an ISFJ and she says that would drive her absolutely crazy. I get overwhelmed by a lack of sound however. It's unsettling.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I generally prefer silence. When reading or browsing the internet I don't play music.

However when writing or drawing I like noise and activity around me so I go to Starbucks. It lets me take a little break from time to time and watch people.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
It depends on what I'm doing.
Like, right now I don't have source of noise, but I think that's because I have enough to think about.
Sometimes I knit, and when that's happening I need something to watch/listen to, or else it's boring.
Often times when I'm just messing around on the computer I want some noise. When reading or doing homework I prefer silence.
I think it just depends on weather or not I want to be focused on something.

·
Registered
441 Posts
It's not necessarily noise, but I do need some background activity. For example, in class, when people make a lot of noise, oftentimes someone would say that they can't focus like that, but to me it's part of the background. I can't walk without music, unless there are people I can talk to or listen to, but I also can't read something on PerC (for example) with music, so I guess it varies. I think it depends on how much I need to focus on something to accomplish it. Some stuff just don't require a lot of effort from me so I need something to be in the background to feed up my Ne a little. I can't do homework while listening to music, but I also can't do it in my regular, boring, quiet room. I go outside to do it in a park or in a cafe, someplace with people. It requires less attention than music, but it's still something in the background.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
No, I work pretty well with silence. It depends I think on whether you need to cut out distraction, or whether you need energising. In the former case, I do find concentration hard and silence can help me stay on task; in the latter, I like some buzz, it can help me be more creative.

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ ♂
18,699 Posts
Seeing how some/most of ''us'' enjoy chaos I was wondering....Is it just me or do others have trouble with the abscence of sound?

Can't stand it myself tbh, NEED some kind of ''white noise'' in the background in order to be able to relax.

What about you lovely people?

I have a fan for when I sleep. I've experimented with a metronome app on my phone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts