Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is my absolute favorite Emily Dickinson poem. (Which if you're also an admirer of her work, then you're certainly quite aware of how meaningful such a distinction is.)

"The soul selects her own society,
Then shuts the door;
On her divine majority
Obtrude no more."

"Unmoved, she notes the chariot's pausing
At her low gate;
Unmoved, an emperor is kneeling
Upon her mat."

"I've known her from an ample nation
Choose one;
Then close the valves of her attention
Like stone."

-Emily Dickinson

As an INFP, just as Dickinson was, I've always felt a desire to know my friends as fully, and deeply as possible. This approach to forming relationships with others has always limited the quantity of the friends I've had, but never their quality.

I once had a magical friendship with a female INFP. And while we referred to our connection as our, "Terabithia", (From the children's novel, "Bridge to Terabithia"), this Dickinson poem is the one piece of writing that most reminds me of what it felt like to be by her side.

I'll always miss my "Leslie".

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I remember learning about Emily Dickinson in school & the teachers always mentioned how reclusive she was, like that was so weird to them. It piqued my interest though because I thought "She's like me! I understand her." So I read all I could find on her in the library.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
That's an interesting interpretation! I can see how some lines lend to that...and I can say that I relate to just wanting those few special people in my life, just one even, with whom you can create a little world together.

I have to admit I previously saw this as being about preferring solitude, being very selective in what ideas she accepts, & resisting outside influences, however impressive or influential they may be to others. It is very Fi in that sense too.

Reactions: K._

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's an interesting interpretation!
Your interpretation is interesting!

I've read and loved this poem hundreds of times, but never once have I thought that it could also be interpreted as one's thoughts and values.

Thanks for sharing your insight!

Damn! Now I love this poem and Miss Dickinson even more!

P.S. My absolute favorite line, of my absolute favorite poem, is:

"Unmoved, an emperor is kneeling Upon her mat."

When I was with my INFP in our "Terabithia", I couldn't have cared less if god herself had been calling me to divine providence and enlightenment!

My soul already had her society!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Aahhh, I love Emily Dickinson! My aunt and uncle gave me an anthology of her poetry when I was about 17 and I remember poring through it for hours, underlining certain parts with a pencil, marking pages with scraps of paper, and just generally thinking, "She gets me!" I used to make cards for people (especially my grandma) using my own photographs, and I'd go through that book and look for relevant poems to quote inside.

Anyway, thank you for sharing this one! I like your interpretation. :)

Reactions: K._
1 - 5 of 5 Posts