Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoon_theory
The spoon theory is a disability metaphor used to explain the reduced amount of energy available for activities of daily living and productive tasks that may result from disability or chronic illness.

Spoons are an intangible unit of measurement used to track how much energy a person has throughout a given day. Each activity requires a given number of spoons, which will only be replaced as the person "recharges" through rest. A person who runs out of spoons has no choice but to rest until their spoons are replenished.

One of the tenets of the spoon theory is that many people with disabilities or chronic illness must carefully plan their daily activities to conserve their spoons, while most people without any disabilities or chronic illnesses don't need to worry about running out.[1]

Because healthy people do not feel the impact of spending spoons for mundane tasks such as bathing and getting dressed, they may not realize the amount of energy expended by chronically ill or disabled people just to get through the day.

=========================================================

I can't help replacing something, so "spoons" aren't the best measuring tools for me, but all the rest is spot on for what I need to do, and am just learning:
I very often don't know what I feel--something learned early, then chronic illness has made it worse and vice versa.

My husband is always telling me, "You need to pace yourself!" but I don't:

I go full-tilt boogie, then slam into a wall, and the wall hurts more and more.

Still, recently, very recently, I just stopped, turned and faced it squarely:

I'm not going to get better; I am aging rapidly; I won't likely live what others call, and count on: a long time... and if I continue doing what I've begun to do:

Saying, "I'm small; I want; I can have X; I cannot have Y; these are the priorities; I have today..."

My life will go as well as it's started to, just better, that's all anyone can hope for, "maybe" with work:

No guarantees.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts