Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post just night be a rant but I will do my best to convey my thoughts. Being a guitar player I have noticed especially in the modren rock world with bands like Coldplay, U2, and Radiohead how music has become very atmospheric and spacey. This has been mainly contributed by effects like delay echo reverb. So what I'm trying to grasp from knowing this is two things.... One is musics future determinded base simply on technology with examples being above... Two as a guitar player I feel like I would like to know what I'm doing musically since my sound is modren, Am i trying to create music that allows for a big experience feel or taking the listener on a journey like atmosphere and ambience does which relates to the Coldplay U2 radiohead sound or am I just trying to create audio pictures with sound like ambience or atmosphere?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
What do you exactly want from this question?

What YOU want from your music is up to you, and not someone else.

On the other hand, I prefer the newer generation of music over old-school style. This has something to do with my love for electronic music and technology and clean recording.

Listen to this. It's just one guy. It wouldn't have been possible without 'newer' technology

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me be more specific how has this "modern" sound of atmospheric and ambience in our music arised? And if the answer is because of technology then why specifically have delays and echo become so dominant in our music when there is so many other guitar effects or other technologies that produce other sounds? Very broad question I know but that's what I want to know!

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
Technology that can be used for music will obviously influence contemporary trends. People like to experiment with new things, this is nothing new.

As for the second question, you need to decide that for yourself.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Let me be more specific how has this "modern" sound of atmospheric and ambience in our music arised? And if the answer is because of technology then why specifically have delays and echo become so dominant in our music when there is so many other guitar effects or other technologies that produce other sounds? Very broad question I know but that's what I want to know!
Experimentation. There's a few Muse songs with a somewhat wacky feel to them. Llama toenails, for instance. If you listen to the instrumental at the end of Space Dementia, you can clearly hear a zipping noise. That would be the sound of Matt Bellamy's fly. I think it's just technology getting more advanced, so musicians can mess around a bit more beyond playing their instrument.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you to both CosmicJalapeno, and Bazinga 187 for your help great insight for both posts,

To CosmicJalapeno, Yes I do need to, lol its just that I'm curious why things the way they are...the only answer that I could up with is that delays and echoes allow us to create worlds of sound, or audio pictures, or experiences because they allow us to manipulate sound to whatever degree we want and by and musicians want to convey these audio pictures worlds of sound because thats what musicians are really trying to do is convey a point or idea, or a setting. If your a guitar player, you might know that effects like phasers, and chorus don't allow us to do that....

To Bazinga 187 your right on target, experimentation is key. Also coming from a music standpoint experimentation is really creativity just as a different word, it seems in my mind if it were not for technology, musicians would still have experimented except music would have been a little bit more organic, instead technology came along and allowed musicians to manipulate sound the way they want, in my eyes technology is one of the best things that could have happen to music....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I meant to say in my response to CosmicJalapeno. If your a guitar player, you might know that effects like phasers, and chorus don't really allow us to do that near as much as delays and echos....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My orginal post was mean to say this by the way.. This post just might end up seeming like a rant but I will do my best to convey my thoughts. Being a guitar player I have noticed especially in the modren rock world with bands like Coldplay, U2, and Radiohead how music has become very atmospheric and spacey. This has been mainly contributed by effects like delay,echo, reverb. So what I'm trying to grasp from knowing this is two things.... One is music's future determind by technology with the examples of the usage of delays, echos and reverb listed above... Two as a guitar player I feel like I would like to know what I'm doing musically since my sound is very similar to the modren sounds that these bands have. So I guess I am I trying to figure out am I creating music that allows for a big experience feeling or taking the listener on a journey through using more amtmospheric and ambient styled textures which is similar to Coldplay, U2, and Radiohead's sound or am I just trying to create audio pictures (a.k.a settings and moods of the song) with textures similar to ambient or atmospheric music?

For the second part of the question, it really is up to me I guess I was just getting my thoughts out.
:happy:

·
Registered
867 Posts
I don't understand alot of this, and I can't understand why I don't understand. What is it about music that makes me go brain dead?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts