Personality Cafe banner

37641 - 37660 of 37775 Posts

·
Registered
11,014 Posts
lol. seems like it doesn't matter how old i get, some things happen and i go right back to being a hand-flapping out-freaking four-year-old.

why do i have a headache???? how does this happen? oh my jebus what causes headache?

not like i don't have a good guess as to where it came from. but i'm actually googling neck-and-head musculature because i am not going to be doing with this.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I just want to say how weirdly discouraging it is, as an artist, to hear people that need illustrations/art for a project or publication, and when I offer services they say something along the lines of, "nah, I'll just grab a picture off of google." You know, how no one gives a shit about attributing artists or copyrights anymore.

It's been sort of a like that boiling frog analogy... where I didn't notice how much this sentiment started affecting me on a deeper level until it became the default response almost every time.

A while ago, I did a logo for someone for their business that they advertised on Facebook, and it was stolen and misused by other 'businesses' eight times. Copyright on it didn't stop them. Calling them out didn't stop them. Having their pages taken down didn't stop them.

I mean, fucking hell, despite art being plastered everywhere, being oooh'd and aaaah'd, artists are treated like non-entities that have no rights to their work, and it is just so frustrating.

EDIT: YouTube comment is at 1.8K now. I wonder at what point the number of likes on a post hits a 'critical mass' for the bandwagon effect to take over. :laughing: I'm pretty sure my dumb comment is past that point...

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
I mean, fucking hell, despite art being plastered everywhere, being oooh'd and aaaah'd, artists are treated like non-entities that have no rights to their work, and it is just so frustrating.
^ Had something similar happen to me many years ago, except it was stuff I wrote up for a sci-fi fan club I was in. Sure enough, it was appropriated and all over the internet. Jackasses. It's like... "I did XYZ, what gives you asswipes the right to steal it?!" I even went so far as to confront one of them and of course they never replied.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
^ Had something similar happen to me many years ago, except it was stuff I wrote up for a sci-fi fan club I was in. Sure enough, it was appropriated and all over the internet. Jackasses. It's like... "I did XYZ, what gives you asswipes the right to steal it?!" I even went so far as to confront one of them and of course they never replied.
It's extremely pervasive. I understand what can be done about it, which isn't anything new, and it basically requires a strong identity/name recognition/branding strategy, so whenever work is used without permission it is clear to all the viewers where it came from.

One of the reasons this strategy has lost traction for the majority of new artists is the tendency/encouragement/incentives to publish (to a large crowd that can easily duplicate the work, i.e. on the internet) a volume that is still in development and has not been distinguished yet. Essentially, artists do need to protect themselves more and not throw everything out there under pretenses of collaboration or prematurely seeking validation for their merit (at least, if they don't want their work misused constantly with no credit to them).

It won't prevent all theft, or anything, but it does help curb the negative effects of it. I could go on and on about the rampant plagiarism in all fields on the internet, though...

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
Am still trying to more-or-less secretly type S8. Best guess so far is ISFP. There are days where I think I "might" get her, and then.... nope. Although I have to say my respect points for her went up about 100x yesterday; my internet has been really wonky for the past 4 days and is only working about half-ass right now. She suggested/is letting me work on offline projects half the day and then I'm finding a public place to work the other half day that is strict about social distancing. Considering that I need the internet to do like 523354621% of my job, I'm impressed. Tech should be out to my house this evening so hopefully the problem will be rectified tonight.

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
Eww though, eww. Someone else in your house.
I wasn't thrilled either, but fortunately, they weren't in here very long. Determined it was outside. A squirrel chewed through the line. They replaced the line and are going to come back next week and bury it in the yard so the squirrel(s) don't get a second crack at it.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
The default color scheme is ugly, but the site update is a welcome change.

Quick! Someone tell me how I see notifications. [nvm, I found it.]

·
Registered
INTP sp/so 9w1 6w5 4w5
5,409 Posts
The default color scheme is ugly, but the site update is a welcome change.

Quick! Someone tell me how I see notifications. [nvm, I found it.]

I just want to know how to go to the first post I haven't read. Marked this thread to follow it, but can't find that feature either (went through the little tutorial thingy and it's not where it said it would be).

Changes like these can be annoying, but I remember going through a couple changes before (I've been here way too long, I really ought to leave; honestly if I checked in with my friends half as much as I do with this thread I probably wouldn't feel such a pull to stay here) and within a few weeks or maybe even days I didn't even think about it anymore. So I figure I'll just give it time and then I'll suddenly be used to it. I certainly love the dark mode already.

Oddly enough, I still have a page from the old format open because I wrote a mini-novel and have yet to organize it the way I want or even decide on whether it's worth posting because it makes me sound like a lazy good-for-nothing (which I somewhat am and undoubtedly comes across a bit no matter how I might present myself otherwise, so not sure why the ego would take a hit for admitting it). Wonder what would happen if I tried to post using the old interface.

In any case, bring back the old robot icons! It's bad enough we lost the neutral expression that :mellow: used to be. I haven't been able to convey that I'm completely innocent/don't know what someone is talking about without that li'l guy.

·
Registered
INTP sp/so 9w1 6w5 4w5
5,409 Posts
Also, it will be interesting to see how users of various functions will react. I suspect we Si-users are going to be very grumbly for a while. :LOL:

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Also, it will be interesting to see how users of various functions will react. I suspect we Si-users are going to be very grumbly for a while. :LOL:
Oh yeah, the first thread it offered me was a bunch of people who are not pleased and ready to ship out.

I just put it in dark mode and said I guess this is what we're doing now. I'm neutral. Change is going to happen whether I like it or not.

·
Registered
11,014 Posts
@Napoleptic, the eye icon next to a thread seems to jump to 'first unread'. I hate the kindergarten presentation so far. And the conflation of 'retired' with 'banned' is of course FRAUDULENT and DEFAMATORY, which makes it ILLEGAL and UNLAWFUL too.

Otherwise, will be over here in the corner sulking.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I decided I wanted to make a hollowed out book. I looked and looked for books that were 1. thick 2. hardcover 3. fit in with my book collection 4. cheap

I picked one out - total spent $3. Book arrived today. I made the mistake of browsing through it and now I'm kinda into it and don't want to cut it up haha :LOL:

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
Do. Not. Like. Signed on earlier, saw new format, said f**k this, signed out... signed back on a few hours later; still not a happy camper. No patience to deal with this right now. Will come back later when I have the time to spare to check out all of the site functions, etc.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Do. Not. Like. Signed on earlier, saw new format, said f**k this, signed out... signed back on a few hours later; still not a happy camper. No patience to deal with this right now. Will come back later when I have the time to spare to check out all of the site functions, etc.
Spoiler alert: it's weird

·
Registered
INTP sp/so 9w1 6w5 4w5
5,409 Posts
@Napoleptic, the eye icon next to a thread seems to jump to 'first unread'. I hate the kindergarten presentation so far. And the conflation of 'retired' with 'banned' is of course FRAUDULENT and DEFAMATORY, which makes it ILLEGAL and UNLAWFUL too.

Don't forget BLASPHEMY and LIES.

·
Registered
11,014 Posts
Don't forget BLASPHEMY and LIES.
more seriously though, if i 'd retired and then found myself being presented as 'banned' to the world, id be pissed. from someone I know in this boat there seems to be a material as well as an inferential difference. so, yeah. precision, people!

·
Registered
INTP sp/so 9w1 6w5 4w5
5,409 Posts
I cooked the last two nights, and ate no junk food today. I think that's the first time I've cooked more than one night in a row in...weeks. I've also stashed some stuff in the fridge to make future cooking/not eating horrible-for-me food easier for the next few days (though some of it will be fried rice; I'm not sure how not-unhealthy that really is). Hopefully now that my new job (Job 1.2? 1.5? How many iterations of new-ish is this thing going to take?) is much less stressful (though still aggravating as hell at times) I'll be less inclined to just reach for the fastest and easiest food instead of something healthier. Which is great, because I've gained a bit of weight. I blame the birthday brownies. And my complete lack of self-control. But mostly the brownies.

Mmmmmm, brownies.

37641 - 37660 of 37775 Posts