Personality Cafe banner

37921 - 37940 of 37956 Posts

·
Meh.
8,045 Posts
the mango is such a tease. it's growing a leaf; that's pretty clear. but the whole thing is basically like a huge bean, so it's doing that thing where first you get days' worth of only the stem sticking up in a loop, before the leaf finally breaks out and stands up. based on the size of this seed, by the time that stem is strong enough to lift it, we could be back into winter clothing.
You're growing a mango tree in Canada??

·
Registered
INTJ, 5w4
37 Posts
I'm reading a book about the enneagram. I'm getting bored. I'm looking forward to the next chapter. I think I'm a 5. I don't know my wing, but 5 seems a lot like INTJ.

·
Meh.
8,045 Posts
I could probably read back and find my answer but is it doing well? I imagine it might be cold for it to bear fruit even in summer. Even here in Australia they only grow in the warmer parts of the wet tropics and the crop is crap if the wet season hasn't been good enough. One of the things on my list of Things I Look Forward To when we move north: mango trees, growing bananas and custard apples etc.

----
@Sela Thanks. Its not been all bad this past month. Lots of good stuff happening too. The lows have just been rather low in comparison.

-----
I have finally deactivated social media. Great decision. Much time saved and ED thoughts are much more under control when not being confronted with insta perfection. No matter how carefully you select your hashtags to follow, you can't escape it and it wasn't doing me any good.

Coming out has also been good for my head space. I seem to be more accepting to myself now that I'm creating more space in my head for who I am. More work to do in that area, but benefits have been noticeable. And that's good.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
I could probably read back and find my answer but is it doing well?
'well' is a pretty relative word. nothing i've read has given me reason to think i'll get fruit out of it, for pretty much what you said. it's just a pure cussedness project for me.

the loop unfolded itself over the course of the day; it was kind of cool to go out there every hour or so and see differences so visibly. by this point it's straightened right out. it's about 4 inches tall and there's six leaves on it. idk if it will survive the woodbugs, but maybe it's already too big for them to be bothering with.

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
Made it out tonight and played trivia with a few acquaintances. I suspect one of them is an ESFP, fwiw. We did well enough to warrant third place, which meant that our team received an in-store gift card for $10. Anyway, she does not have an off switch, and I spent two hours and got MAYBE three complete sentences in edgewise. I'm exhausted. I like her a great deal but BE QUIET!
Anyway, "my" question of the night where I was one of maybe two people in the whole place to get it correct. The question was: Name the (U.S.) capital city and state that has the most letters in it. Any takers? No cheating, and no Google.

·
Registered
597 Posts
My current mood: just imagine the song "Step in Time" from Mary Poppins but replace "Step in Time" with "Sleep Deprived" and add rising anxiety to the mix. I'm running on 5+1/2 hours of sleep and had to wake up at 4am for my 6am opening work shift."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
every so often i think up an expression so shiny and clever, i go around polishing it to myself and giggling at it. then i start prowling the earth in search of just sit back and wait for a situation that's worthy of it.

i've got one right now. giggle smirk snicker prowl wait.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Might have a little time bought at work - not approved or anything yet, but someone else on our account is going on maternity leave a couple weeks after I am currently scheduled to "fall off" the books. They have been approved for a temporary position to back fill her role - so my coworker is looking to bring me into the temporary position, which would buy me effectively another 2 months of time to find a job.

Since most positions I was finding as "better" possibilities weren't really starting until September time frame anyways, it could work really well for me. If nothing else, buys me some time with covid still creating a lot of unease in the hiring market.

If this works out, then I won't have to sweat money until this fall. Race season will be wrapping up, I'll have gotten through the hot months, and gives me more time to consider (and find) a roommate if I think I need one. And hopefully the job market will be improving a lot more by then....

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
for everyone thinking they've had a bad day: here's today's dose of schadenfreude courtesy of can lii:

i just read this legal decision where, lemme see if i can get this straight. accused is a dealer with (possible) connections. victim goes to buy big bale of dope from accused. for reasons unknown, accused shoots victim in head. allegedly. accused disposes of body, allegedly. cops interview neighbour and associate, and neighbours-and-associate deny any knowledge at all.

so far so standard; but then. but then at some point and for some reason ( i got distracted here) accused is arrested adn charged anyway. in the process of trial preparation ( i think ) person x, who is a private investigator working for the defence figures out that neighbour-and-associate (remember them?) actually know a whole lot. he cosies up, gets their trust, and they confide what they saw but say they've been scared shitless and therefore lied to the cops and say they saw nothing at all.

person x goes and blabs to the cops. cops re-approach neighbour-and-associate, n-and-a talk, and become crown witnesses. so far so standard, even now. but then in mid-trial it comes out that the only reason the crown even has these two witnesses is 'tainted', i.e. information obtained by very un-okay process indeed.

by the time i read about it, it was in the form of an appeal. at trial, the defence said the fault was egregious; the whole thing should be a mistrial. the trial judge disagreed, he was convicted and then he appealed. by this time of course, the whole world is aware that mr x not only acted 'unethically' by violating privilege, not only massively crossed the guy up, but also now n-and-a know why the cops decided to call them again.

and then the guy wins his appeal. conviction thrown out and the whole thing is sent back for new trial.

i guess that's a better outcome than 'conviction thrown out and the guy's free to hunt mr x down.' but even so, no matter how bad your own problems are i'm ready to bet you're sleeping better than mr x is these days.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Why do people desire/hate/fear power?
"Power corrupts."
Power distorts.
Or does it just reveal our true inclinations?
Do we all have a black seed that, when watered, bears the appropriate fruit?
Does one carrying a black seed not instinctively seek out its nutrients even in the most arid spaces? We frequently see abuse of power and violations happen in the most powerless communities every day.
Is power worthy of our caution? Or is man?
Which plays the part of vessel for the darker, stronger force?

Gosh, I only ever have questions. Never answers.

·
Meh.
8,045 Posts
Ah studying is fun. The first course is a study skills course and works towards writing a report on a topic related to my discipline. Its so nice to engage this part of my brain again.

Week 2 is starting after the weekend and I'll be halfway through week 4 by Sunday.

Next couple of nights are campfires and marshmellows in the Snowy Mountains. Not very cold here considering the time of year. I'm going on a solo hike tomorrow morning. Can't wait.

@lilysocks very keen to hear about the mango progress. It would be great if it grows a fruit.

For me it's snowpeas, leeks and kohlrabi at the moment.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
It would be great if it grows a fruit.
well, i'll keep you informed till it dies or over the next several years, whichever come first :p but it's really not going to. in the wild they grow to three storeys or something, and i'll be lucky to get away with three feet before the landlord starts wittering about it collapsing the deck. and they don't deal well with cold or wet. i do think i have a small chance with pomegranate and granadilla, but it will take me some time to locate a granadilla around here. and i am willing to try a lychee soon as they come available.

still, the six mango leaves are well over an inch long today. new leaves are always pretty because they're still extremely perfect.

buttface status: she had a deadline a few days ago, to file something mandatory for the next stage. which is some kind of hearing or case conference, where it MIGHT all just die on the vine. best i understand, anyway. in principle, it's where both sides show their basic cases and someone neutral weeds out the ones that are a complete waste of time before they can, um, get into the real system and waste people's time.

i'll be honest; what scares me is, among our lawyer's materials is a few of the emails i sent my sister. i sent them to him but at NO time did i say it would be okay to expose them to her. now i may be in for a new dose of shit. 'eh, let her inherit the vaporware billions, and then I'll just get her share of it by suing her once again personally'. Bleh.

·
Meh.
8,045 Posts
Whyyyy did I have to chip a tooth. Now I have to go spend hundreds on getting decent enough to walk around with.

There's a lot that I would do with a full lottery win like buy a house and set my kids up for the future but amongst the few shallow things I'd do with excess funds would be having cosmetic work done on my teeth.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
ah, my own personal computer. how nice it is to unplug the laptop and come home to you at the end of a week.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Not sure how I feel about my weekend - finally got out racing again after a 10 month hiatus due to covid (primary issue), moving, money, etc.

My expectations for myself and what I actually produced did not align. I know how and where I can find the time I expected to find with a few changes to the bike, but I still didn't come close to what I expected (2 seconds/lap between what I did and what I expected to produce by the end of the weekend).

In my head all weekend. Going through a bad case of "homesickness" - less about the location and more about the people. I had good friends, battle buddies, and lots of "history" with my racing friends and team in CA. Out here I know basically no one - just a couple people in passing. The only people I really hung out with at all were guys I had raced with last year in Texas who came up for this round.

I dropped a fair bit of time off my times last weekend, but - and then there's the but.

Add in that one of the few people I had met out here proved to have a rather extreme temper - don't get me wrong, racers can all get a little wound up, but he proved to be a full on drama queen. So the local people I at least knew enough to chat with got cut in half (there were only 2 people I felt comfortable enough to just randomly pull up and talk to before that).

So ya. Just sitting here not even sure how to feel. There were good things, bad things, but nothing great or really bad, either.

37921 - 37940 of 37956 Posts