Personality Cafe banner

38001 - 38020 of 38041 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've been thinking; while I know some of you want me to sue him to oblivion, I don't think it's actually worth it. I already told a member here that obsessive anger is unhealthy, and I really believe it. I think it's good enough to report all malicious domains and publicly denounce the false claims. That's the main thing, my integrity is really important to me, and the false claims was a huge bother. I feel much better after calling it out. Also, there's a huge history now, so if I ever encounter him again it's easier for me to get a restraining order on his ass. But yeah it's not worth it, takes up way too much brain power, and I don't really enjoy messing with the mentally unwell anyway

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Two new tires and brake work today. Eventually I'll have this car up to my standards. Whoever owned it before me (and got it repo'ed) needs taken out behind the woodshed.
In other non-news, it went from like 94F earlier this week to like 66F today and raining. I'm about to freeze. First week of August it's typically around 88-90 during the day.

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
heh. watching something or other on youtube and someone is actually saying 'he had done left' with a straight face. not a stupid person which is why i like this. i feel like it's good for me to crank my definiton of what 'smart' sounds like a few inches broader.

i

Reactions: Sela

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
heh. watching something or other on youtube and someone is actually saying 'he had done left' with a straight face. not a stupid person which is why i like this. i feel like it's good for me to crank my definiton of what 'smart' sounds like a few inches broader.
Really like this. When I'm at work, I put on my best academia hat and speak their language, but once I'm off work, it's "he done left", or "he went and done left" and I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person.
In other non-news, we were informed Friday that homecoming has been canceled, and that non-exempt staff will not be receiving raises this year no thanks to the 'Rona. ... which, to be honest, I saw months ago, given that I work with a bunch of economists all day. Not sure yet on exempt and/or faculty.

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
once I'm off work, it's "he done left", or "he went and done left" and I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person.
i love colloquial speech, dialects, jouals, regionalisms - any of that kind of thing. i tend to pick them up wherever i hear them and hold onto them, from whatever context. accents are sort of temporarily fascinating but it's really the ways language gets moulded to serve a particular population's mindset and purposes that i like best.

i'm especially fond of this kind of verbal redundancy. my afrikaner community had a highly cultured, intelligent, sensitive ex-dominee about half a generation older than me, one of hte most remarkable people i've ever been acquainted with. he had grown up barefoot on some patch of forsaken dust in namibia, and he still had the same kind of thing in his speech. he liked to prefix most of his verbs with 'ga' loop sta'. same kind of thing. go walk stand [actual verb].

i loved that. loved it even more because a couple of the others were also old enough to remember that speech, so they'd tease him by asking him solemnly if he was PLANNING to go walk stand do [actual verb], and he'd demonstrate all the inventive swearing he'd learned on that same patch of dust :D

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
after weeks of blossoms that just go nowhere, i think my mystery melon plant may be pregnant.

idk what it's going to have but i hope it's healthy because i'm hungry.

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
@lilysocks go look up the "Hoosier Apex". That is where I live. Some more off the top of my head:
  • I ain't got none.
  • Jeet yet? (Did you eat yet) Nope, ju? (Nope, did you?)
  • Ope (Oops, excuse me, etc.)
  • warsh (wash)
We tend to drop our g's at the end of words a lot (gettin', doin', readin', etc.)
"d" instead of "t" in many cases
"Come again?", "Do what?" (I didn't hear you, please repeat.)

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
@lilysocks go look up the "Hoosier Apex". That is where I live. Some more off the top of my head:
  • I ain't got none.
  • Jeet yet? (Did you eat yet) Nope, ju? (Nope, did you?)
  • Ope (Oops, excuse me, etc.)
  • warsh (wash)
We tend to drop our g's at the end of words a lot (gettin', doin', readin', etc.)
"d" instead of "t" in many cases
"Come again?", "Do what?" (I didn't hear you, please repeat.)
lol. i hear 'warsh' from a friend who grew up in saskatchewan and i have to close my eyes and remind myself what a stellar human she is every time and how unimportant things like this really are. for some reason it really bugs me, but the rest of these are great. i like 'ope'.

some off the top of my own head:
  • i'm just hearing this one lawyer in my current real-life trial saying 'what now' a lot. idk where it's from but i really like it. "okay, so this is what now."
  • "some" as in 'some cold out there today, huh'. picked this one up in prince edward island.
  • "buddy". usually-random male human whose actual name you don't know, can't be bothered to inquire about, or can't be bothered to use. from a nova scotian friend. "so then buddy in the purple sheet tries to convert me to [fill in the blank]."

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
i'm wearing a t-shirt in that turquoisy swimming-pool colour, and sweatpants of dark greyish blue. i feel like a social criminal.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I've fully transitioned into the new role this week, and surprise(!), while the plan was we would have a 1-1.5 weeks of me doing the tasks with the soon-to-be-mom still around, her baby apparently decided otherwise, and she went in for a c-section yesterday.

So, tossed into the deep end of the pool, having to figure a few things out the hard way, but thus far I've been fairly successful.

Took (and passed) my licensing test for the side-hustle this morning before work, so that is out of the way.

Already feeling the stress starting to melt. Slowly mind you, this role is still only temporary, but I'm loving a nice back end role where I'm out of the line of fire, can just do my stuff and don't have all kinds of people breathing down my neck or trying to blame me for their lack of planning.

Totally unrelated to that, picked up a little dirt bike off a friend who was selling it pretty cheap, and will be using that to do some drills for my road racing that will hopefully help me get/feel a bit more confidence on the big bike.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I could watch the magic flute. Or I could.... not. Hmm. edit: oh what a shame, it's already tuesday and so it's too late.
So, I've been immersed in my Animal Crossing island but I thought you'd be at least mildly amused to know that my town's tune is from everyone's favorite aria from the Magic Flute

If you divide my bedroom into quadrants, I'm halfway done after 3 days - although, technically, it's likely more as purging/packing (mostly packing, really) my calligraphy desk was exceedingly tedious. Still, I'm starting to feel overwhelmed and I'm running out of staging room. I know I'll make it and I know everything is fine and if I had to throw everything away or crammed into boxes/trash bags, so be it. I'll make it. Just my patience and motivation is waning.

I definitely feel like I'm being too neat and organized at this stage. Again, I think it's just because it's the calligraphy stuff. I wish Nash or my sister were here, if anything just to help and keep me engaged. I realized that doing every step from beginning (sorting/purging) to end (wrapping/tetris-ing into boxes) bores me and wears me down. Unfortunately, I don't have many options due to lack of space

I'll just keep fantasizing about one month from now when I'm on the other side of this.

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
i'm not happy that the mosquitos are on, but it's not like i'd cancel summer to be free of them. i've rigged up a fan to blow 12 knots over me all night and I kept half-waking, picturing them getting tumbled off course as they home in on me, and sinking back into satisfied sleep.

Also, TWO. I have two infinitely tiny mystery melons now, ha ha ha ha.

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
I swear, I would live in a box on the street before I moved into any kind of strata situation... Even if the unit was handed to me. The shit that tends to go down when your neighbours are also your de facto landlords, and legislation gives them the power to make pretty much their own laws ... 25% of the litigation I read about seems to be some strata council telling some person or other they can't install vertical blinds or grow the wrong colour plants in a window box.

·
Registered
INTJ
819 Posts
I lost ALL of my saved data on my PS4 for no goddamn reason and boy am I pissed. That's so much SO MUCH hours of my life just gone. I feel like those hours have been a waste of my time now. Being an RPG-mostly gamer who grinds... this is frustrating. Witcher 3 alone was months of my life lol.

On the plus side, I got pissed enough that I finally justified buying a Switch. Maybe not such a plus for my wallet, though...

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
you know those times where you suddenly run out of All The Main Grocery Items at once? and you're craving something you don't have ingredients for.

yeah, those times.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I am in PlanningTM mode. (Will I accomplish any of it? Who knows.)

If I ever wanted to start my own business, i would need a website, and on that website I would need proof of my skills, in the form of completed personal work. I have projects I want to complete. I am getting good at planning in steps what I want to do in my fave mmo, now I just gotta do that with my hobbies/projects.

I also want to make a different website to assist people with healthy eating. I am basically in brainstorming stage. Websites like EWG.org have lots of information, but maybe too much, and too disorganized. (It vibes me the wrong way too for some reason) I like the mychemicalfreehouse.net organization and content better.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
For being in a pit, I'm not doing so bad. There have been deeper pits than this. I have been in darker places before. This one is going alright. I still have sunny skies and swimming pools and books and jigsaw puzzles.

38001 - 38020 of 38041 Posts