Personality Cafe banner

38201 - 38220 of 38267 Posts

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
^ Good question. Here in the states, at least, I think we're in for about another year or so. Cases are spiking again in my area of the country and we're going backwards.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
^ Good question. Here in the states, at least, I think we're in for about another year or so. Cases are spiking again in my area of the country and we're going backwards.
Ya, I'm finally starting to accept that there will be a distinct line of life before covid, and life after, and that this isn't just a "wait a couple months and life will be normal again" situation.

·
Registered
INTP sp/so 9w1 6w5 4w5
5,479 Posts
Landlord: There are two types of people in this world.

Me: Oh yeah?

LL: Yep, and I don't like either one of them.

·
Registered
INTJ
2,169 Posts
After a long (tearful) conversation with my mom, and letting my brain work through things, last night it kind of "dawned" on me that this is nothing like my previous situation. Previously I had been left with nothing - a pile of unsecured debt, no money, no marketable skills, not even a reliable vehicle. That is not my situation now at all. I've got the "stuff" - a lack of employment may mean living off shoe strings and playing the "what gets paid this month" game for awhile, but WORST case scenario, my credit score gets bad again. Once I have a job, I can get right back to my life - it's not going to take years of struggle to get here again - all it will take is a job.
Preach, girl.

I literally just had the “I’m not gonna be poor again” convo with INTP but took that same step back and came to a similar conclusion: I’ll survive this. I just get uncomfortable when things aren’t on my terms and/or can’t be willed to be how I want them. Discomfort can lead to mini panic because it feels like perhaps I’ve planned poorly, I’m wasting time, I’m off-track and altering my trajectory in an irreparable way, and I feel momentarily helpless and vulnerable. The reality is that the ship I’m trying to right is in nowhere near the peril I’m apprehensively perceiving it to be. Normally, I fuel my determination with my hatred of feeling this way but I can’t figure out where to aim it so all this normally motivational energy is just backed up with nowhere to go.

On that note, I really feel like I’m so distracted by, well, everything and it’s preventing me from working out an unconventional solution to things. I am clamoring for that conventional 9-5 brand of security. Not that I’m like “follow your dreams and become a professional cat petter” (or am I?) but I could be hustling more. I think my brain needs to simmer down and focus and not concern itself so much with OCD laundry and dishwashing “matters.” I hate cleaning but it provides tangible evidence of accomplishment that soothes me on some odd level. I’m creative, I’m smart, I know I’ve got things brewing on the back burner but lately my mental process feels like a swirling snow globe. I can’t settle it down long enough to establish the architecture I need to manage this.

Being awake at 3 am isn’t helping.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Preach, girl.

I literally just had the “I’m not gonna be poor again” convo with INTP but took that same step back and came to a similar conclusion: I’ll survive this. I just get uncomfortable when things aren’t on my terms and/or can’t be willed to be how I want them. Discomfort can lead to mini panic because it feels like perhaps I’ve planned poorly, I’m wasting time, I’m off-track and altering my trajectory in an irreparable way, and I feel momentarily helpless and vulnerable. The reality is that the ship I’m trying to right is in nowhere near the peril I’m apprehensively perceiving it to be. Normally, I fuel my determination with my hatred of feeling this way but I can’t figure out where to aim it so all this normally motivational energy is just backed up with nowhere to go.

On that note, I really feel like I’m so distracted by, well, everything and it’s preventing me from working out an unconventional solution to things. I am clamoring for that conventional 9-5 brand of security. Not that I’m like “follow your dreams and become a professional cat petter” (or am I?) but I could be hustling more. I think my brain needs to simmer down and focus and not concern itself so much with OCD laundry and dishwashing “matters.” I hate cleaning but it provides tangible evidence of accomplishment that soothes me on some odd level. I’m creative, I’m smart, I know I’ve got things brewing on the back burner but lately my mental process feels like a swirling snow globe. I can’t settle it down long enough to establish the architecture I need to manage this.

Being awake at 3 am isn’t helping.
Yeeessss, all of this.

I think I've managed to channel my pent up energy into something productive - the "new" (side) hustle. If I really work it, push it, and jump on that struggle bus, I could potentially fully replace my income by the time my paychecks and PTO payout would run out (not even considering UI as apparently GA is so far behind on that it's not even funny).

My mood has definitely improved at least a little bit once I made the decision to actively start pursuing that course. I'm still applying for that 9-5 job, still doing interviews, and still hoping that happens so the 'side' can take more time to build up (like I had originally planned), but since I've been applying for nearly 6 months now, not counting on that happening.

I think just feeling like I have SOME kind of control, something I can drive, push, and make happen is making me calm down and focus. It's made a huge difference in my overall mood - a lot less cranky and far less depressed.

Control what you can, you know? I can't control someone else hiring me. I can control getting my financial professional hustle going.

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
you know when you have a coffee maker? and it's the kind where the lid has to be closed, otherwise there's not enough pressure under the basket to open the shut-valve and let the coffee run out.

well, if you don't close the lid, the basket fills up and eventually gets to the point where water-with-coffee-grounds-in-it starts getting sucked BACK into the mechanism. sooner or later, what with heat and the way coffee grounds will swell up, the tubes get plugged up.

i've done this a number of times. it's like plunging a clogged toilet: not something you actively try to create but at least it's routine enough for a small sense of contentment to come out of it. only this time the machine was so jammed i turnd it over and took the base off it . . . discovered a handful of things about how they're put together, which was satisfying enough in itself. and then my pliers gouged a pair of small parallel holes in one of the feeder tubes so it's all moot anyway.

off to some drugstore for a new machine. in a really perverse kind of way, been a satisfying sunday morning so far.

·
Registered
INTJ
2,169 Posts
I can't control someone else hiring me.
I have had so much difficulty accepting this but you’re right. It’s not necessarily due to a detriment on my side and I need to stop stressing out about it. Thank you!
_

One fun thing about INTP is that he loves to learn. Last night, I started teaching him the basics of making bread from scratch. A simple recipe: yeast, salt, flour, and water. Showed him how to mix, shape, score. Explained fermentation, rising, resting, retarding. We took 2 of the 3 loaves over to his parents’ because his dad made a very Southern soup for dinner and our bread complemented the meal nicely. I’m a tad envious because his loaf was the nicest looking of the 3 haha

Living together has been easy and really nice, despite everything going on. Granted, it has only been 2 months but I’m glad I made the move.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
<<<<<<<-------------take it frum a koon!

Trying to figure out why there is sooooo much bitchin about job/employment related stuff on this thread..........
Makes no sense to me that an intj, being supposedly most independent individualistic of all types - seeking & desiring to be "masters of their world".............

Aren't in the process while in their teens & 20's of being/becoming self employed and by at least the age of 30 - not attained this?

I've pretty much been takin care of me since I've been 14, and began to build my life from scratch & by design as envisioned from the time I was 16 and by the time I was 28ish it was in place - "Master of My World". Self Employed, Licensed Professional Engineer the route I took.
Were there some setbacks - sure; but the basic plan I adhered too and kept at it and had it basically, pretty much fulfilled at 27 or 28ish. That was around 40 years ago now.
WTF is wrong with you so-called INTJ's or maybe you're not INTJ? IDK but too much job related bitchin & bs from supposedly All World personality types who aspire to optimum independence & individualism but can't seem to ever attain to it?

Ain't sayin; jus sayin............
There's my bitch for the day, now back to my great Beach Bum life.
Ciao............INTJonn

·
Registered
Introverted intuitive type
5,561 Posts
I would be far more active on this website if it had a section for discussing the Big 5 traits, or any modern trait-based model for that matter.

EDIT: I guess it actually does, I just wish it had a bigger one.

·
Registered
INTP sp/so 9w1 6w5 4w5
5,479 Posts
[bread stuff]

Living together has been easy and really nice, despite everything going on. Granted, it has only been 2 months but I’m glad I made the move.
If you haven't already, you might enjoy the book Ratio. Never finished it myself because life happened, but I did read the entire chapter on bread and found it very helpful in baking the beginnings of my bread knowledge.

Glad to hear it's going well for you guys. I was going to make some dumb metaphor about nurturing your relationship like you would a sourdough starter, but I just can't seem to rise to the occasion. (I'll just see myself out now.)

Reactions: stathamspeacoat

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
These days, this is how I analyze a person's personality.

I don't use MBTI, Socionics, or Enneagram at all anymore. I've gone back to a purely Jungian method, which looks at personality as attitudes (conscious/unconscious, and functions), which are simply habits of the ego drawn toward its libido (i.e., a clear attraction or intention). This is to say that whenever I am conscious, I am conscious in such a way that I feel more motivated by my internal subjective concerns, or my external worldly concerns. This alternates depending on circumstance, but overall I tend to want to default to a certain set of concerns that is either internal and subjective or external and worldly. This determines the overall general attitude of consciousness for a personality, either introverted or extroverted. Remember, moment-to-moment the attitude of consciousness is circumstantial, so you have to get to know someone before you can pass judgment. Jungian analysis requires you to respect the dynamic nature of the psyche at-play while studying it, which necessarily injects a certain amount of interpretation and subjectivity on behalf of the observer.

Supposing the general attitude of a person's consciousness can be clearly differentiated, then you can say they belong to either an introverted or extroverted type. It is possible to have people who float back and forth between the internal and external world with such frequency that you might as well say they are an ambiverted type, which is something that tends to happen with age over time anyway. You can also differentiate a function attitude in most people who can be differentiated into rational and irrational types based on whether they demonstrate an attitude of observing information (irrational) versus defining information (rational).

Irrational observation in the introverted conscious attitude is like visualization and directed imagination along with an aesthetic sensory preference for certain stimuli. Irrational observation in the extroverted conscious attitude is like following after trends and discussing new things along with experiencing as much sensory data and having as much power over it as possible. Rational definition in the introverted conscious attitude is like having a built-in, instinctual understanding of what you like and don't like, along with whether something really makes sense to you deep down or not. Rational definition in the extroverted conscious attitude is like having a built-in, instinctual understanding of what other people like and don't like, along with whether something really works or not.

From there, you can break it down a step further to differentiate a function attitude, and thus get a Jungian type.

For introverted irrationals who show an attitude of spending more time focused on directed imagination, you see the inferiority of their equally defining unconscious attitude for experiencing sensory data and having power over it.
For introverted irrationals who show an attitude of spending more time focused on attention to their aesthetic preferences, you see the inferiority of their equally defining unconscious attitude for following trends or discussing new things.
For introverted rationals who spend more time focused on whether something makes sense or not, you see the inferiority of their equally defining unconscious attitude for having a built-in, instinctual understanding of what other people like and don't like.
For introverted rationals who spend more time focused on what they like or don't like, you see the inferiority of their equally defining unconscious attitude for having a built-in, instinctual understanding of what makes sense to other people or not.
For extroverted irrationals who show an attitude of spending more time focused on following trends or discussing new things, you see the inferiority of their equally defining unconscious attitude for having a sensory aesthetic preference.
For extroverted irrationals who show an attitude of spending more time focused on experiencing as much sensory data as they can and having as much power over it as possible, you see the inferiority of their equally defining unconscious attitude for spending time visualizing or imagining information.
For extroverted rationals who show an attitude of spending more time focused on what works in practice, you see an equally defining unconscious attitude for having a built-in, instinctual understanding of what they like and don't like.
For extroverted rationals who show an attitude of spending more time focused developing a built-in, instinctual understanding of what other people like and don't like, you see an equally defining unconscious attitude for having a built-in, instinctual understanding of what makes sense.

Knowing this much is enough to get by in most cases. You don't need to know what secondary or third functions a person shows an attitude for, but one is typically present if you look for it. Usually a person, as Jung predicted, favors a complimentary function attitude to go along with their dominant function attitude, being partially conscious, without ever demanding more attention than the dominant one does. However, it's also important to remember the basics and not forget that the psyche is dynamic, so whatever the "auxiliary" function attitude will be in a given circumstance depends very much on understanding a person across a broad spectrum of conditions. If, for instance, I know a person is introverted when I encounter them most of the time, and they seem to be so in such a way that they are always seeking comfort and being lazy, that's enough to tell me they are either really extroverted whenever I'm not around, or they are some sort of introverted irrational type. Then if I get to know them a little better and I can see they spend most of their time locked into self-discovery and daydreaming rather than creating a comfortable physical environment to live in, I know they're probably an introverted intuitive type. From there, if I get to know them even better, I might begin to notice that they struggle with how they and others feel about things, but have an easier time analyzing and understanding theories or what works, telling me that they have a thinking auxiliary attitude, so I can narrow them down to an introverted intuitive thinking type.

I don't worry about whether the auxiliary and third functions are introverted or extroverted. The attitude of consciousness determines that at all times, so whatever functions are being differentiated by a person will have the same attitude, and the undifferentiated unconscious functions will become a mixed-up blur within the opposite attitude of the inferior function. Always recall that the psyche is shifting dynamically in response to the demands of the environment, so you have to look at a person's overall attitudes in both work and play scenarios and for at least 6 to 8 weeks in my opinion. After that much time, you can see the pattern clearly in where the source of libido is for a person, because it is what defines their ego.

It's also important to remember that function attitude is independent of conscious attitude, the two are not linked. This means that if I am an introverted intuitive type because I have an introverted attitude and an intuitive attitude most of the time, then you might catch me in cases where my conscious attitude is extroverted by my function attitude is still intuitive, making me appear to be an extroverted intuitive type under those circumstances. Or, I may be introverted and be conscious of my intuition at one moment, then shifting my attention to my thinking while still having an introverted attitude, then back to my intuition, or perhaps to my feeling, or sensation, without ever breaking the overall introverted attitude of my consciousness. Similarly, this can be seen reflected outward where I am switching my extroverted conscious attention to whatever the situation seems to me that it calls for in a given moment. What you are looking for are trends and patterns that subjectively emerge through interpretation and time.

If I want to do even more work than this, I also employ the HEXACO model. This is another Big 5 derivative that I won't get into the specifics of here, but I find it useful because it gives me a statistical average for certain objectively measured personality traits that have a definition I can use to correlate with the findings of my Jungian analysis. Essentially, I can expect that if I am correct in estimating a person's general attitudes, there should be some alignment within an expected public range result in the HEXACO inventory (but I suspect any Big 5 inventory will suffice as long as it gives public range results). The idea here is that the combination of the two systems gives me a very high degree of insight into a person. The Big 5 is definitely worthy of the characteristic "un-fun" that it gets because it isn't nice. It's brutally slanted toward what society defines personality to be, but that can be a blessing in disguise if you use it to your advantage. It means you have a clearly extroverted set of definitions to work with or around as you need to, which you can always fall back on to ground yourself in the reality of what a person's attitudes are as far as the world is concerned. Together, Jung and Big 5 form a kind of axis of objectivity in my mind, which is perfectly complimentary to one another. Jung is the self viewed from the inside out, and Big 5 is the self viewed from the outside in.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Wondering if there are any INTJs living or used to live with narcissistic family members here and how to deal with them.

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 514
1,084 Posts
Wondering if there are any INTJs living or used to live with narcissistic family members here and how to deal with them.
My advice, stop taking the narcissist seriously.
They are going to get angry, but just hold your ground.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Too bad he ended up being a typical man that I should have left on the street. Lost too much respect for him to last either way, so good riddance and goodbye!

·
Registered
300 Posts
My advice, stop taking the narcissist seriously.
They are going to get angry, but just hold your ground.
Follow up question: How can I set boundaries with the narc while not arguing with them, being defensive, or trying to "prove" ourselves?

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Let us begin with a beginning and call it the Tao.

Beginning as such implies ending, so the beginning implies duality. The beginning becomes a duality, but it only does this based on our logical assumption. This is an important distinction that needs to be made before we go any further, for it needs to hold as much importance in your mind as you would consider the importance between fact and fiction. There are two kinds of sets of laws that govern reality which overlap but in unclear ways: natural laws that are our objective observations, and social laws that we impose as our subjective assumptions. This distinction is so important, because metaphysically we are talking about the distinction between free-will and determinism. We hold ourselves and others morally accountable for their choices because we perceive ourselves as having some kind of influence over natural laws. That implies the influence of a non-natural law, which we will call a social law, and I will go on further to define as the essence of the subjective domain that is the origin of the archetypes. This aspect of reality is just as "real" as its dual domain, the objective domain that reflects the archetypes in the true names of "10,000 natural kinds".

Let us call this dualism within the Tao, Yin and Yang.

Let "yin" refer to the introverted source of real creation and definition, the fathomless origin of all archetypes within the collective unconscious, the introverted "libido." This is a real creative power that in every sense must be understood and respected as a totally differentiated domain of reality that is the essence of the subjective factor. Let "yang" refer to the extroverted source of real creation and definition, the fathomless origin of the 10,000 natural kinds, the extroverted "libido." Yin libido is introverted, shaping and creating the subjective aspects of reality from within. Yang libido is extroverted, shaping and creating the objective aspects of reality from without. Yin reflects the social laws that we create and impose as conscious agents to demonstrate power over yang, which is natural law. Yang reflects the natural law that creates us and imposes itself upon us to demonstrate its power over yin, which is social law.

Do you see, these twin libido energies, reinforcing each other endlessly?

This is to glimpse the Tao itself.

Now, these two libido energies, yin and yang, further sub-divide themselves into greater yin and greater yang, along with lesser yin and lesser yang, in the following way. What is yin libido begins first in an irrational way, let us call it a lesser yin state. This irrational form of the libido comes before apprehension, it is the bedrock of experiences out of which we formulate our beliefs or convictions. Therefore first there is lesser yin and lesser yang libido, which are both irrational forms of libido. Lesser yin and lesser yang are irrational introverted and irrational extroverted function attitudes that are not yet differentiated as functions themselves. When we speak of lesser yin libido for instance, we are talking about the undifferentiated subjective perception function attitudes as one single attitude. Such an attitude would be a combination of both directed imagination and a strong aesthetic preference, in the case of lesser yin. Lesser yang would be the undifferentiated objective perception function attitudes as one single attitude. So, such an attitude would be a combination of attachment to direct sensory excitement and indirect power or influence.

Tao begins as something formless and irrational, as lesser yin and lesser yang energy. These two libidos, emerging as one irrational thing, form the basis of of the rational world, which is made up of greater yin and greater yang energy. These two energies become the libido of the rational, which is the domain of social and natural laws. The libido of these laws flows from both the essence of the subjective factor, which is the archetypes, and the essence of the objective factor, which is the origin of 10,000 natural kinds. hence it is yin and yang like lesser yin and lesser yang, connecting back to the origin of the Tao itself, which is the whole of everything in reality that can be called "real". Let "greater yang" refer to the extroverted rational domain of function attitudes that define natural laws through the use of thinking or feeling. Such an attitude would orient itself entirely by way of objective facts about both the world and other people using as much lesser yang energy as it can, and suppress as much as possible any subjective influence from any yin energy. Let "greater yin" then, refer to the opposite, the introverted rational domain of function attitudes that define social laws through the use of thinking or feeling. Such an attitude would orient itself entirely by way of their own subjective factor with regards to their theories and their passions. using as much yin energy as it can, and suppress as much as possible any objective influence from any yang energy.

It is important now to break and give examples of this in practice under observation.

Tao splits into lesser yin and yang. Lesser yin and yang become the foundation of experience itself. Greater yang defines the extroverted world by advancing first and creates the negative space that defines greater yin which follows after it. It can just as easily be said that the direction of flow is reversed, it doesn't matter if greater yin comes before greater yang, we only proceed as if the objective world forms the basis for the other as a means to convey the idea that even though they occur simultaneously and hold equal "authority" over what constitutes and defines causality, one always comes before the other when making up any kinds of assumptions about lesser yin and yang. This is why everyone is either a yin type or a yang type, an introvert or an extrovert, by nature. Because by default, one will always start with yin or yang as the origin of their libido, which defines their entire ego and worldview. For the introvert, who is dominated by yin attitudes, greater yin, the social law, takes precedence over natural law, which is yang energy, and yang energy is pushed down into the unconscious of the introvert. Vice versa for the extrovert, who is dominated by yang attitudes, and so pushes down yin energy into the unconscious. Greater yin and yang form the basis of the rational world, and it is made up of natural laws and social laws, which govern and define the objective natural world and the subjective social world.

Now I will define the types.

A yin type of personality favors the social laws and lesser yin. By default, you can expect the yin type personality to have differentiated aesthetic preferences that govern which sensory experiences they seek to eliminate or include in their environment, and differentiated imaginary constructs that organize what they spend time imagining or don't spend time imagining, and to prefer to experience or work on those things more than exciting new external sensory stimulus or new and influential concepts or external events. You can also expect the yin type personality to have differentiated their own subjective theories and rationalizations for their theories, and to take them more seriously than consensus of opinion or direct experimentation, as well as having strong passions that compel them to act in defiance of the expectations of others.

A yang type personality favors the natural laws and lesser yang. By default, you can expect the yang type personality to have differentiated pleasure-excitement seeking sensory preferences along with always chasing after influential ideas or new external events, and this governs the environment they seek to place themselves in as much as possible. They suppress yin energy, and so push down into their unconscious their awareness or interest in building imaginary constructs or creating a comfortable environment. The yang type personality favors greater yang energy, so they have differentiated a strong preference for factual accuracy of their statements and practical efficiency in their actions, as well as a sense of honor and respect for others and trust correctly placed in others. They will suppress into unconsciousness yin energy that encourages indulging in their own strongest passions that would compel disobedience, and yin energy that encourages them taking their own theories and rationalizations more seriously than factual accuracy or practical efficiency.

You can break yin and yang, introvert and extrovert respectively, down further into lesser yin types, lesser yang types, greater yin types, and greater yang types. I will not go too much further into this, because I have do so enough to make the pattern apparent, so instead I will skip ahead to the next important point and leave off there for now.

Lesser yin and yang, representing the irrational domain of libido energy, represent the libido of objects (lesser yin) and events (lesser yang), in their essence.

For example, the sensory libido of an object that originates from within and is directed inward is what I call its "aesthetic", and the sensory libido of an object that originates from outside is is directed externally is what I call its "excitement". Aesthetic is a sensory yin energy because it retreats from the influence of the object and intensifies the influence of the subject. The subject then influences the object more than the object is allowed to influence itself, creating a sense of artistic expression or sensory preference in the yin type. The opposite of this, excitement, is the acceleration and yang sensory momentum of the object carrying itself through and "punching" into the subject, forcing itself as the dominant expression of libido over an awareness of the subjective yin aspect of the object we already covered. Thus, it carries with it a kind of intensity, and a clarity, which allows the differentiation of fine details about the object, its fine properties and distinctions all carry greater weight than an inward bias that would cause us to instead only pay attention to the inward reaction generated by our contact with the object.

Greater yin and yang, representing the rational domain of libido energy, represent the libido of natural law (greater yang) and social law (greater yin), in their essence.

For example, the thinking libido of an object that originates within and is directed inward is what forms the basis of an idea, which I will call an "assumption", that is not based on yang energy, thus it is not derived from external observation or a consideration of external factors. This is what Jung calls introverted thinking. The thinking libido of an object that originates outside and is directed externally is what forms the basis of a fact, which is not a belief, but rather, a direct report, thus it is not based on yin energy, and tries to ignore all forms of yin energy, such as passion, assumptions, personal aesthetic, or imagination.

You should begin to see the pattern of my system going on from here. It can be as complex or as simple as it needs to be, for it follows a simple exponential pattern of repeated duality.

·
Registered
INTP sp/so 9w1 6w5 4w5
5,479 Posts
Landlord says his sister might move to Canada depending on how the election goes. He said he's not sure how that would play out, and listed a number of possibilities, including selling his home. That would include the property it's on, which is where I'm currently living.

Good thing I was already taking time off work to deal with mental health, because being dropped straight to Maslow's basement tends to eat up all my resources trying to convince myself that I am, in fact, safe at this particular moment.

I really don't like the thought of property ownership because (it being financially out of reach anyway aside) I don't see myself staying in any one place for more than two or three years, let alone the five most advice mentions when weighing home ownership vs. renting. (And hell, until I'm able to apply for citizenship, I don't even know what country I'll be living in.) But I admit the idea of not having to worry about a landlord kicking me out would be a beautiful thing indeed.

I can afford a used RV, maybe that's the way to go.

The likelihood of me needing to move appears pretty low at this point and the chances of me needing to move in a short timeframe are very low indeed, but I really wish landlord had kept his mouth shut. I doubt he has any idea whatsoever the effect his offhand comment had on me. I guess as an Ne-user I need to learn the lesson that thinking out loud can actually have some pretty large consequences at times.

·
Registered
INTJ
2,169 Posts
If you haven't already, you might enjoy the book Ratio. Never finished it myself because life happened, but I did read the entire chapter on bread and found it very helpful in baking the beginnings of my bread knowledge.

Glad to hear it's going well for you guys. I was going to make some dumb metaphor about nurturing your relationship like you would a sourdough starter, but I just can't seem to rise to the occasion. (I'll just see myself out now.)
I own that book! I reference it now and then but I think it’s possibly for someone who is a little more willing to try their hand at creating a recipe. It’s the coolest book but I know I would experience frustration and feel like I wasted my time if I tried creating my own entire recipe and have it turn out bland or weird or, worse, not at all. I’d rather take someone’s proven as a base and then tweak. I’m much more about paint and upholstery vs restoring a car from the ground up.

The bread book that’s my go to at the moment is Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast by Ken Forkish. I have learned an amazing amount of info from just the first chapter. I think about 20% of it might be too pro/technical for me to fuss with (I’m not ready to figure out this poolish and preferment business). I’m not planning to open a bakery - I just want bakery quality bread without having to go to a bakery.

Well, one thing our relationship has in common with a sourdough starter is that I am always feeding him haha

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
While I'm feeling a lot more empowered with my decision to take the 'side' gig full time rather than spending that energy on job applications (which have been completely unsuccessful in our current state of affairs), there is definitely still some stress involved in trying to get a business going from new to full income replacement in a matter of a few months. There's a good leadership team behind me, and my trainer is going above and beyond to help make it happen, but it's still making for a rather crazy month!

Still have the old "day job" the remainder of this month, and this position ends come December. I still have no formal termination papers, however, so I have no idea what they are thinking they will do with me.

·
Registered
INTP sp/so 9w1 6w5 4w5
5,479 Posts
The bread book that’s my go to at the moment is Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast by Ken Forkish. I have learned an amazing amount of info from just the first chapter. I think about 20% of it might be too pro/technical for me to fuss with (I’m not ready to figure out this poolish and preferment business). I’m not planning to open a bakery - I just want bakery quality bread without having to go to a bakery.
I've wanted to read that book. Though I'm at a point now where I'd just rather put the stuff in a breadmaker and have it take care of the dough part, then bake it in the oven. Though even that I'm not willing to do these days. I seriously want a kitchen where I can spread out and use all of my tools whenever I want.

Well, one thing our relationship has in common with a sourdough starter is that I am always feeding him haha
Ha! I've heard the way to an INTP's heart is through their stomach, so maybe you're on the right track. ;)

Reactions: stathamspeacoat
38201 - 38220 of 38267 Posts