Personality Cafe banner
39021 - 39040 of 39079 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Okay, so this happened a few years ago. I woke up last night and my brain started thinking about it.
To give you some context, I am the most oblivious person you'll ever meet once you give me romantic implications. My IQ drops to 64.

For example, I was asked out a fair bit in high school. I wasn't interested in a relationship at the time, so most of the time I would decline as politely as I could.
But there were a few occasions were my brain would spontaneously turn into liquified paste when someone would give me objective signs of interest.
But there this one instance that eluded me until very recently. If anything, it might be another story to make fun of me for. So here goes.

Okay, this girl I knew throughout high school recently broke up with her boyfriend. She then asked for me to go on a drive with her, alone, because she needed someone to spend time with.
I was busy with my college courses at the moment, but I agreed because I thought she needed a "friend." I was initially slightly annoyed, but I made time anyways.
So we went driving alone for a few hours talking about random things. Nothing happened of course. After the day was over, I'd go back home.
This repeated a few more times, where we would spend a few hours together every few days. I thought I was doing her a favour, and she seemed relatively happy. So I thought I was doing a good job.

On one occasion, we drove around until the evening. She then randomly said she needed to go home to "change her clothes."
I thought that was weird, since her clothes looked relatively clean. Despite that, I said "sure" and then we arrived at her place. Sure enough, nobody else was home.
She then dropped her stuff, and told me she is going to get changed into different clothes. Again. I reply "Okay, sounds good. I'll just wait in the living room."
She then told me not to worry, as her Dad would "not be home until the next day." My response was "That's fine, I won't touch anything or make a mess"
I remember she may have reiterated a few more times that she needed to get "changed" in her room to be more blunt. I told to just "change her clothes already, I'll wait outside."

So sure enough, she goes into her room to take off her clothes.
After waiting in the living room for 10 minutes or so, I'm just thinking "She is sure taking a long time in there"
View attachment 886584

Long story short. Nothing came out of it. Eventually we decided things would be better if we remained friends, so things were called off.
I probably would have declined anyways if I did figure it out, but the cringe is unimaginable lol.
View attachment 886583
I went thru same thing in high school. Girls would ask me to skip class with them and hit the class skipping spot for a cigarette and to "talk". I be like yeah sure, ok....... I'm thinkin Have a smoke and chat awhile. Some of them would be aggressive, too & i'ld be like WTF!?!

So word gets around school from the chix: Ask intjonn to go with you to the smoke/skip spot and he'll actually just have a cigerette and just talk..............

🤷‍♂️........intjonny

·
Registered
Nemophilist
2,508 Posts
Okay, so this happened a few years ago. I woke up last night and my brain started thinking about it.
To give you some context, I am the most oblivious person you'll ever meet once you give me romantic implications. My IQ drops to 64.
I went thru same thing in high school. Girls would ask me to skip class with them and hit the class skipping spot for a cigarette and to "talk". I be like yeah sure, ok....... I'm thinkin Have a smoke and chat awhile. Some of them would be aggressive, too & i'ld be like WTF!?!
I recall boys being pretty dense in general about girls expressing interest in middle and high school, and girls being pretty confused about how boys would express interest (which often started with teasing or acting obnoxious).

Once I tried to be not-so-subtle in expressing interest by making sure one guy got a very nice view of my legs while we were waiting in the hallway for class to start (he was sitting and I was standing). He looked at my legs, then looked at me perplexed. I looked at him, and there was a silence, and then I saw the lightbulb go on in his head. :LOL: Later, after class, we exchanged phone numbers.

Normally I'd just be so impatient and intolerant of those games I'd outright ask someone if they were interested, which was probably too direct for most people's sensibilities. That hallway moment was memorable as that one, successful experiment of youthful, flirtatious intentions, lol.

·
Registered
11,974 Posts
i have found a bike ride. by telling myself the nearest milk is at the big generic store around four miles away (as opposed to other generic store only three blocks away), i am making it so i get out of the house and do something sweaty at least the requisite number of days per week for roughly the requisite stretch of time. four miles is a pretty mickey-mouse distance to ride, but it's about what my whateveritis can handle right now, and so is-what-it-is rules apply. it's a start.

and it is a very nice ride so i'm very motivated to just accept what it is and not set myself back. just really really a really nice ride. mild uphill most of the way going there, and corresponding gentle swoops-and-dips downhill most of the way coming home. i use the downhill parts to do sprints :p it still counts. i'm very gently pushing the pissy hamstring as well, and i'm just not going to mess it up with anything more at this point.

and doing it means i'm buying more of those things they call groceries too. which is good. man cannot live by coffee and home-made yogurt alone.

feeling good. it's sort of pitiful how little it takes to make me feel there's a shape and a point to my life.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Well, roommate located - deposit received, and agreement signed, she is looking to move in on the 24th. We only met over Zoom though (for a few reasons, not the least of which is distance), but I've got the money (through PayPal) and seems like she may be a good enough fit - about 10 years older than me, has family in the area, seems laid back, says she is - recently divorced, but her ex is in another state and it doesn't sound ugly.

Not that I'm thrilled to have a roommate, but between that and the side gig I should be able to start rebuilding my savings and racing savings pretty well and still have a teensy bit more spending money (but still need to be strict on that if I want to be racing next year).

Not really any changes on the work front, some days are more stressful than others, but I enjoy the type of work so I don't cringe at the idea of going to work like I did at my in-between job. My CAPM study guide arrived, so need to buckle down on myself and get through that so I can get that certification under my belt and promote up or out.

Just a realistic glimmer of hope in the financial realm has improved my mood quite a bit - while I knew that was the root of the majority of my moodiness, "everyone" seems to act like money shouldn't control our outlook, but unfortunately, when the things you LOVE to do, the things that you are passionate about, require a certain amount of money to participate, it's hard to slave away day in and day out with no hope beyond just paying your bills. To be fair, I've lived on similar levels of income, BUT, my bills were a lot lower to begin with due to that fact. Now, after years of a higher income, I've tied myself into a number of bills I can't afford to unload (with the exception of my race bike, which I refuse to sell at this point since I can't replace it with anything remotely as good for what I'd get for it), so that same level of income did NOT go anywhere near as far.

·
Meh.
ENTJ
8,157 Posts
My heart is a bit full at the moment and it’s a good feeling. I’m seeing my kids thrive in this environment and it makes me smile. Watching E set off on her first school excursion this morning was so good. She had the biggest, beaming smile on her face when we waved her off. I can see such a change in her. She’s no longer the little baby, toddler, preschooler whose development is intertwined with what I expose her to but she is becoming an individual who is learning to experience the world on her own and to learn lessons that don’t come down from mum/dad. She has done an absolutely amazing job at school these past 10 weeks. We had the first parent teacher meeting yesterday and she has made it to the top of the class for literacy and numeracy. And this is in a class with kids who started school in February vs her late June. They aim for 100 sight words by the end of Prep, she got to 200 in the space of one term. I wouldn’t be any less proud of her if she hadn’t but I’m really happy to see that she likes learning and that she has some smarts in that little head.

Going for a first walk around on the block of land tomorrow. Finally get to see what fruit trees we are actually inheriting. I’m hoping that my suspicion about a black sapote is correct. There’s definitely mango, banana and citrus. Two more weeks and it will be settlement date. Waiting on the building contract to be finalised and then we should hopefully be able to start building in the second half of October.

Things will probably shake up a bit again work wise in October. SO has offers of full-time work that add up to more money than we can make doing a combined part time thing. And right now, money is just a priority. Me quitting this job would also free me up to throw myself at the new master’s degree and knock it out in two years. I’d be sad to give this job up. Not so much because the work is riveting, because it’s not, but I really like the people I work with in the office here and it would cut down my social interaction to school parents.

My temporary vegetable garden in our current rental is doing so well. I planted out some zucchini seedlings 3 weeks ago and I already have zucchinis growing on them now. My cucumbers were put in at the same time and have just started flowering. Tomatoes are ripening up. Lettuce is picked daily. It’s just the radishes that don’t really want to take off here. Take ages to sprout, if they sprout at all.

·
Registered
11,974 Posts
I just ordered a huge sack of protein powder from one of those websites that make you go 'well, I hope to hell they're legit'.

I may also need to hope that customs will let the stuff through. Damn. That's why I always ordered through that other place. I forgot.

Also bought myself a new pair of waterproof hikers for winter time. Guess I'm serious about this get to work by bike thing again.

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w6 Sp/Sx 593
1,658 Posts
Recently, our provincial government established a mandate which requires masks be worn in public indoor locations. My town has a massive anti-mask presence, so this was bound to cause some trouble. So came in this guy while I was working today's shift. Muscular dude. Big beard probably to hide a weak chin. You know, the standard. He came in not wearing a mask, and he went to look at the movies. Okay, fine. After I decided to go easy on a customer for not wearing a mask because their were no customers inside the store, I finally decided to ask him to wear one when the store became crowded (and because he was loitering in the movie aisle for the past 20 minutes).

Me: "Hello sir, can you please wear this mask? It's getting crowded" (I proceed to hand him one).
Customer: "I would rather not."
Me: (Oh for fuck's sake, here we go) "I'm not asking. There is a mandatory mask-wearing policy in all public indoor locations. Our store is by all accounts one of those."
Customer: It's not really a law...
Me: Yes it is.
Customer: No it isn't.
Me: "Yes. It is. Why would a mandate be called mandatory if it wasn't enforced? Our store (and yourself) can be fined by OHS for not following the guidelines. Now please, wear the mask or you can choose to leave."
Customer: Snorts
Me: (Getting tired of his bullshit, I then place the mask on his hand)
Me: "Thanks for your cooperation"

But it wasn't over I guess. After the fact, I can see him wearing the mask everywhere besides his mouth.
He had it hanging on one ear, on the top of his head (what the fuck?), and below his chin. I was too tired to argue past that point.
I'm just saying if he gets fined $2,000 CAD for not listening to me, I'll pull out the world's smallest violin.

Hair Eye Cartoon Vertebrate Organ

I don't know, I just find it strange that this is the hill people just choose to die on. There are bigger things to fight against. On the topic of mandated vaccines for example, I disagree with that on the principle that even if we had the cure to all diseases in the world with the use of a single vaccine, people should still have the freedom/ right to choose whether they take it or not. People should be able to determine what they can do with their own bodies, and the government has no right to dictate in those regards. That's a fair complaint to have, and something I'm willing to fight against if necessary (and I'm fully vaccinated). But when people choose to moan about wearing a piece of cloth over their face for 5 minutes, I just have no respect for them. To me, it's the equivalent of a toddler throwing a tantrum to their parents. It's just disappointing to watch. Like watching a bad stand-up routine that goes on for too long.

At least, if you disagree with a store's implementation of masks, then choose to leave. That's well within your right, and I can respect a person choosing to stick to their principles (no matter how petty they seem).
Also, it prevents me from having to deal with your whining. I already have limited patience on shift, so you leaving may make me roll my eyes, but that's about it.
But when people bitch to me about masks, concede in wearing them, and then proceed to whine the whole time about how the mask is "strangling them," my eyes start rolling to the back of my head.
It's also like these people only believe that they alone have rights. Businesses also have those too you know. They have the right to uphold any standard they want, and you are forced to abide by those while in the premises.

My personal favorite excuse is the famed "is this what our troops in WWII died for?" That's a common one I see on Facebook at the very least.
No Susan. Billy probably did not get conscripted to the beaches of Normandy and get his legs blown off, all because he was fighting against you having to bear the unimaginable suffering of putting on a mask. You idiot. It's also strange that you now seem to idealize all those men who got forcibly conscripted to fight in WWII by government mandate, but chose to do it anyways despite their feelings. But no, when you are asked to do something you are uncomfortable with for a matter of minutes, it's like I'm shipping you off straight to the gulags.

·
Registered
Nemophilist
2,508 Posts
Saw this at my last stop yesterday at a high end restaurant
made my day😊 View attachment 886684
Why is that?

On my commute as a teen, there was a small sidewalk tree with a dead pigeon tucked between the fork of its trunk. For months, I watched the carcass decompose as I passed by on my walk home. It was odd no one removed it - especially as it was right at eye level in front of a bistro. Still, I looked forward to its uninterrupted presence every school day… a natural course of life that had (quite literally) slipped through the cracks in an otherwise artificial landscape. One can find comfort in the strangest things in the strangest places, it seems.

·
Registered
11,974 Posts
heh. friday midday i'm [preparing to pee, if you really have to know] and i realise i can hear this drip drip drip noise. think oh fuck, now the shower need washers or something. uh, not. i track it down and there is a picture-perfect little hole in the ceiling over the bathtub, with water doing the dripping from it.

i'm afraid to touch the entire flimsy-looking slab of drywall or whatever it is, lest the whole thing come crashing/soggily down upon me. so i don't.

it is so nice to be able to just scuttle downstairs to a nice impersonal office and report it to them. as opposed to calling a nice foggy-minded old man who's approaching 80 and whose back hurts, who will wobble up on his bicycle with a box full of the wrong kind of tools. and spend half the day looking at it and being indecisive at me out loud; and then ultimately (days later) call me up and tell me it's fixed - he thinks. and he took the liberty of also turning the water heater thermostat down to one degree colder than blood 'to be safe'.

i don't really like living in an apartment building, i think. it keeps me from going outside a lot mroe than i like. i have to make a conscious decision i'm going to do it, and for fucksake remember my keys . . . but it does have its perks.

·
Registered
11,974 Posts
a few weeks ago, i bought a bottle of iron pills. i may have talked about this. i don't know if anaemia is my thing, but it does have some of the hallmarks i know. my brain has been acting the way that my cat used to act when she met a spider. it just kind of paws feebly at complex ideas that it can't figure out, adn then takes a long nap.

so i went and bought these iron pills. there's 150 of them in the bottle, they're twice what health canada says a woman of 'childbearing age' [ick. they mean menstruation but they're too lilylivered to say it out loud] should ingest per day, and apparently it can take up to 3 months to fully replenish 'systemic' iron. so i reckon the simplest course is just to take one a day till the bottle is empty and then see if i feel perkier. things have already begun looking up but it's sure introduced this little extra piece of low-level concentration into my life.

you can't take iron on an empty stomach unless you enjoy a very specific and unpleasant kind of stomach 'ache'. you also can't/shoudln't take it with calcium, potassium, or probably any of the other main minerals as they all compete for the same uptake receptors (or something to that effect). OR COFFEE, but bugger that one.

so every morning i now have to figure out a way to get iron into me. for a person who hasn't drunk a glass of milk since idk when, i sure lead a life littered with calcium. i've been eating coleslaw for breakfast and saving the smoothies for lunch, which is as sophisticated as i've been able to get with this fix.

i'm going to do teh whole bottle. i am. but i can tell it is going to turn into a mental strain.

Reactions: Coonsy

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
My bike part (shift drum arm spring) arrived in Saturday's mail, so Saturday ended up being crazy busy - all morning was spent on rearranging my office, moving out some shelving sets in there to other areas in the house, and then moving my guest bed and stand into the "office" so the roomie room was empty. Cleaned that room so it's set, just have to clear out the cupboards I'll set aside for her use.

Then the mail showed up, so the entire afternoon and evening was spent getting the bike all back together with a quick test ride in the neighborhood to be sure it was all functioning and wasn't going to try to kill me.

Since I got the bike together, decided Sunday to finally head up to the mountains. It ended up being a longer day than planned, and certainly didn't go "smoothly" as I ended up helping out at two different crashes over the course of the day (one self induced, the other a car rear-ended a bike stopped behind a line of cars) and I lost my tailbag early on in the day (was able to recover some stuff out of it, but the bag was toast) - but despite all of that, it was an overall good day for me. Bike ran great, I had fun riding, and was nice to run into some faces I hadn't seen all summer.

·
Spam-I-am
13,974 Posts
Why is that?

On my commute as a teen, there was a small sidewalk tree with a dead pigeon tucked between the fork of its trunk. For months, I watched the carcass decompose as I passed by on my walk home. It was odd no one removed it - especially as it was right at eye level in front of a bistro. Still, I looked forward to its uninterrupted presence every school day… a natural course of life that had (quite literally) slipped through the cracks in an otherwise artificial landscape. One can find comfort in the strangest things in the strangest places, it seems.
My theory is as follows
the rat had to much to drink at the bar and fell asleep in the road
resulting in a beer/food delivery vehicle running over the overly intoxicated rat
orrrr the mafia placed a hit for squeeling to the pigs👨‍✈️

·
Registered
Nemophilist
2,508 Posts
My theory is as follows
the rat had to much to drink at the bar and fell asleep in the road
resulting in a beer/food delivery vehicle running over the overly intoxicated rat
orrrr the mafia placed a hit for squeeling to the pigs👨‍✈️
I love it.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
My school is brilliant. I've been told that the final exam is due "at the end of the month", previously.
Today I learned it's due Monday, next week. shucks
I was hoping to get at least one more week. Since I was ill all last week; unable to practice/prepare.

Will see what goes as the week proceeds. Will just have to try my darnedest until then, I guess.

·
Registered
INTJ | 5w4 | sp/sx
2,803 Posts
Yeah, so I'm happy that I don't have a job right now. Currently waiting to see how far these mandates are going to go before folks put an end to it, if ever. And seeing what's going on in France, I'm damn near jubilant that I was hit by a car, otherwise I'd be over there and ass TF out! I'm sure the civil unrest will get worse over winter.

Anyway, now that I've embraced my kooky new age side fully (book me for a reading), I'm starting to think that the Atlas Shrugged project I entered last year served as a necessary wake-up call. As horrid and terribly written as that novel is, I was able to reaffirm my core values and... as silly as this sounds, fall in love with America again?

I'm also finding parallels with the government of that novel and real life right now. Scary, but at least my eyes are open again.

Oh, did I say that I'm reading the Bible again? It's sort of a bet. NYC received a tornado warning a couple of weeks ago, so I said I'd read the Bible again if that happened... The flooding in midtown Manhattan and the Bronx was crazy and a few tornadoes touched down on Queens and parts of Jersey. So one of my friends shipped a Bible to me right away that I started reading last night lol

Lots of internal changes, anxiety and optimism over here. Despite the strife that's happening outside, I feel that everyday that I'm alive is a great day.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
<<<<<<<<<------------------take it fru m a koon!

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Sky
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Sky Tire
Tire Wheel Water Car Land vehicle

One of my fav Lake Michigan beaches - from about a month ago.
Life's a BEACH! :cool:
Intjonny Luzsha baybee

Reactions: Squirt

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I really haven't been in too shabby of a mood this week, but this afternoon just kinda suddenly feeling really "blah." Not sad, or down, just blah. Might just be the overcast day combined with midweek and a case of burnout going on. I've resolved the worst of the money woes for now, so overall a lot less stressed and "sad," but still feel like I'm severely underpaid for the work I'm doing where I'm at, at least compared to my previous roles in this line of work. At least I like the work itself well enough - still better than my previous "in between" job where I loathed the idea of just going to work...here's it's more just typical work stress.

Had a strange dream/nightmare last night. My family (me, mum, 'brother' - but not my IRL brother, sister made an appearance much younger than she is) were doing poorly financially and my mum found us a house to move into. We do, and my room is in the downstairs, but it is haunted by demons. The other rooms downstairs were even worse, and the attempts at exiling the demons from my room I tried didn't seem to work for very long. So my 'brother' and I with some help from mum were trying to find out why these demons kept showing up. We discovered that the house was built above a crossroads in hell, and two demons couldn't always pass by each other, so one of them would get booted into the house (WTF brain?!?).

Then for some reason the "solution" to our demon problem was based in having to face your inner demons (more like your inner darkness than an actual demon)...about that time I finally woke up.

Haven't watched a demon movie or video game for ages, none the less one along those lines, so really no idea why on earth my brain felt the need to have this big, long, very detailed dream.....rooms of the house were weird, but it was a dream - it made sense then LOL.

·
Registered
Nemophilist
2,508 Posts
Someone asked me "How are you?" and I said, "Okay."

Then they asked me, "Why is that?"

To tell you the truth, I am immediately put off by this question. I get it rather frequently, I guess because "okay" is too neutral of a response. I don't want to meditate on offering much more, as often there is nothing that interesting to report. If there was, and I wanted to share, I'd probably have shared already.

However, I think I've finally found a way to address that question to satisfaction. I responded,

"Because it is my default mode."

The person started laughing and let me be. I think I'll respond with this every time someone asks that annoying question. :sneaky:

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I have an aunt who is a One, comes across as hardcore SJ. There is always a Right Way

Mr. & Mrs. John/First (Last) Del Something
I'm a one and hardcore SJ, and I would never force someone into using a name solely for my comfort level. That would be like someone only using my full first name, when literally zero people other than the folks over at payroll and other legal stuff use.

39021 - 39040 of 39079 Posts