Personality Cafe banner

6021 - 6040 of 37960 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Edit: OMG there are new kindles too! I'm about to faint.

@FlaylexFayte - New kindles!
I KNOW!

What am I gonna do noooow? :(

Oh well. We already sent the Nook back and we got $249 credit which will pay for the new one that is supposed to be the same price. I am not messing around with technology anymore, I am going to get my Nook Color 2 and be done with it!

And in the meantime, hijacking my mother's NColor for my own purposes is proving to be fruitful.

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,401 Posts
Damn that sucks :/ I have been sitting pretty on the fence, patiently waiting for a new camera and wondering when to buy a kindle. Now I have to go do some massive research and see what kind of features these things have and if it's still worth buying, as I just got the news. I'm such a technological whore.
Yeah my camera which busted was an older canon powershot. We did enjoy our time together though. RIP.

·
*Triple Thanks*
3,287 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have manly legs. Heh.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Protein synthesis? The herpes zoster virus? Acromegaly?
man, fuck that acromegaly shit. somebody needs to get to curing that like yesterday

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,401 Posts
I'm really stressed at the moment. I'm excited and going through stages of grief all at once. This house selling business (the beginning of) and the finality of an era has brought about unexpected feelings. The loads of work I've done and the loads more which I have to do in order to make this reality is just so overwhelming. I've found an agent. I've achieved more in two weeks than I did in 2 years. I'm achy and grumpy but really happy all at once. This is like PMS.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
You people and your eBook readers. I'd invest into that market if I wasn't paying the same price for a digital copy that I was for a physical copy.

I'll just get the physical copy. It's not like I need to lug around my entire library anyway. If I'm on the bus or the train, I usually have my laptop or my Evo 4g smartphone, and I bring a couple books to read.

If I was going to invest in a touchscreen tablet, I might pick up a cheap iPad - but personally, I think tablets are abominations. We have smartphones. We skipped tablets and went straight to computers-that-fit-in-your-pocket. Then, tablets came out.

What is this, I don't even.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
You people and your eBook readers. I'd invest into that market if I wasn't paying the same price for a digital copy that I was for a physical copy.
If you are like me currently interested in "old" literature, you find all the texts for free (70 years after the death of the author in France). There are enough libraries on the net for those old books.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
If you are like me currently interested in "old" literature, you find all the texts for free (70 years after the death of the author in France). There are enough libraries on the net for those old books.
I can already do that with my smartphone though. Amazon released a kindle app for Android phones that lets you download tons of free classic literature. There's other eBook apps for Android and iPhone as well that offer free classic literature, so it's not something exclusive to the eReader market.

There's other factors as well of course, which I may not even be aware of. Based on what little I know about eReaders, I haven't been sold on them yet, nor have I been sold on touch-screen tablets. I'm content with my laptop and my smartphone. I might consider investing in a tablet once the technology drops in price significantly.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
There's other factors as well of course, which I may not even be aware of. Based on what little I know about eReaders, I haven't been sold on them yet, nor have I been sold on touch-screen tablets. I'm content with my laptop and my smartphone. I might consider investing in a tablet once the technology drops in price significantly.
I already work all day on a computer screen (LCD), and ebook (e-ink) allows my eyes to rest (no eye-strain at all).

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
This may seem weird but i hate kindles, tablets and smart phones.
There is no reason , i just hate them all. They get on my nerve. They represents consumerist and materialistic values. Most people buy them because they are hip and cool, no one stops to appreciate the knowledge and technology behind them ...
plus why would I want to buy something highly expensive, poorly made that won't last and will soon be outdated by a newer version that could be barely considered an improvement of the current version?! And lets not forget the impact of the industry on the environment.

on a brighter not, I have found a solution to avoid meaningless annoying chit chat during lunch breaks at work and university. Bring your laptop and leave it open in front of you while you're eating . Every one will assume you're working and no one will bother you. You can quietly enjoy your meal alone :proud:

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
This may seem weird but i hate kindles, tablets and smart phones.
There is no reason , i just hate them all. They get on my nerve. They represents consumerist and materialistic values. Most people buy them because they are hip and cool, no one stops to appreciate the knowledge and technology behind them ...
plus why would I want to buy something highly expensive, poorly made that won't last and will soon be outdated by a newer version that could be barely considered an improvement of the current version?! And lets not forget the impact of the industry on the environment.

on a brighter not, I have found a solution to avoid meaningless annoying chit chat during lunch breaks at work and university. Bring your laptop and leave it open in front of you while you're eating . Every one will assume you're working and no one will bother you. You can quietly enjoy your meal alone :proud:
I use my smartphone to avoid/end all arguments.

Whenever anyone debates me about anything which can be cited online, I literally interrupt them by holding up my smartphone and saying, "Let's ask the internet."

I then press the talk-to-search button and vocalize my inquiry to Google through my phone.

Google tells me the answer to my question by visually providing me with links to various websites I can then browse with the touch of a finger and read aloud from.

"LET'S ASK THE INTERNET!"

I wish I could be more epic about it when I do it. Like I was asking the Gods. It's pretty awesome enough as it is though. The fact that I can do that.

·
Banned
2,005 Posts

Whenever anyone debates me about anything which can be cited online, I literally interrupt them by holding up my smartphone and saying, "Let's ask the internet."

I then press the talk-to-search button and vocalize my inquiry to Google through my phone.

Google tells me the answer to my question by visually providing me with links to various websites I can then browse with the touch of a finger and read aloud from.

I wish I could be more epic about it when I do it. Like I was asking the Gods. It's pretty awesome enough as it is though. The fact that I can do that.
This is totally the only reason I've ever considered getting a smartphone.

·
Registered
INTP sp/so 9w1 6w5 4w5
5,424 Posts

I bet you have NT women fawning all over you whenever you do that. :laughing:

I got a smart phone because my computer was dying and I was tired of not being able to surf the internet without major issues. I've since gotten two slightly less crappy computers, but I still use my phone to keep in touch with people, both via phone and by email or whatever. And I don't care if new technology comes out - so long as I have the internet on my phone, I'm satisfied.

Also, if it dies or malfunctions the phone company just gives me a replacement which is ideal as I'm not paying that much to have to do it again any time soon.

Reactions: Abraxas

·
Registered
111 Posts
Convo with the boss:

Boss: Here's the thing: You are not as smart as you think you are, and I am not as dumb as you think I am.
Me: Well, there are different types of intelligence.

What I am thinking while I spit that sentence out:

Seriously? How exactly do you KNOW how smart I think I am? I'm pretty self aware, so I'm EXACTLY as smart as I think I am. I may not be as smart as you think I think I am. (chew on that). As for how dumb you are or how dumb I think you are, how do you KNOW how dumb I think you are. While you sometimes say dumb things, or have dumb ideas, I can live with that. I don't really think about how dumb you are as a person, but after this conversation, I may have to consider it.

6021 - 6040 of 37960 Posts