Personality Cafe banner

12061 - 12080 of 38040 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
:p

That's the spirit...you haven't "lost your shit"...you "are the shit"!

Of course, we will require video of you performing your new hobby...you know, purely for instructional purposes. ;-)

There shall be no video of me, but I can substitute a video of the ESF_ who got me into this if you like

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
You INTJ girls are much too modest...and then to give credit to the ESF_'s? Unthinkable!

But a boy's got to try, don't you think?
dammit, I thought of too many responses and now I can't pick one. foo and fie on my sleepy brain

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,406 Posts
Reading the previous 20 posts or so makes me feel like an introvert among introverts socializing INTJ style. I'm not sure I'm lamenting it - it's just that I've only thought of myself as introvert in the past when with people IRL.
I've now been in the same city nearly a fortnight. I know someone here who's just a few key-strokes away on this keyboard and yet... I've still not tried to contact him. In the previous city I was in I had an invitation to drop by and have dinner (single mother and 3 teenage kids). There I also stayed a long time in the city but never got around to looking them up. A big town before that it took me nearly 2 months before looking up an old man (ISTJ) I knew there. We got along fine despite age difference. Both extremely introverted. I was his first visitor in 2 years. Stayed 11 days. The problem is that in the [ast I've looked up people in the places I've visited and afterwards asked myself why?
I'm finding it hard to imagine even a minimal social life once I return to my country. Even the few times I saw my sister during the half year... I think that'll disappear as well. Meeting fellow travelers once a month doesn't have an appeal anymore as I realize that they travel and visit countries in another way than I do. After an hour with even this crowd and I really want to leave but as I've spent hours getting there and back I feel obliged to stay longer. They're big on photos - often with people on them.They fly there and fly back. So I'm guessing that the only socializing I'll be doing when I one day return would be when buying groceries and work-oriented conversation at work.
alhamdulillah for the internet.
My mother unit was thinking of buying a jacket for my birthday this week......but then she says, you don't have a social life so what is the point of buying jackets, you have enough. I said hmmmmm....I do still feel the cold though. Then....then she says you can just wrap a blanket around yourself and pin it with a safety pin.

I said well....just buy me some tickets to social life so I can wear the jackets I have.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I wasn't around when the first doctor was and haven't watched them....the doctor played by Jon Pertwee (I barely recall) and Tom Baker (squee) onwards were my daily dinner ritual with the family. I think they base more on Tom with the newer doctors.
The first Doctor is pretty much the opposite of the brash adventurers that the modern Doctors are. He's rather subdued.

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,406 Posts
The first Doctor is pretty much the opposite of the brash adventurers that the modern Doctors are. He's rather subdued.
I vaguely remember Jon Pertwee (in a velvet smoking jacket with front ruffles). I kind of remember him as more of a "what if we do this" type of fellow and a little more like a dandy rather that the next doctor (Baker) who was more like a friendly science teacher with an endless bag of jelly babies and a scarf to end all scarves (I think there was a blooper reel with him tripping over it a zillion times). They are all very particular about their fashions what what.

Are you in love with the props yet? It was an under-funded BBC program back then too. I can remember some of the cardboard props moving around when they shouldn't have.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I vaguely remember Jon Pertwee (in a velvet smoking jacket with front ruffles). I kind of remember him as more of a "what if we do this" type of fellow and a little more like a dandy rather that the next doctor (Baker) who was more like a friendly science teacher with an endless bag of jelly babies and a scarf to end all scarves (I think there was a blooper reel with him tripping over it a zillion times). They are all very particular about their fashions what what.
I've seen a couple of Tom Baker stories. I like what I've seen of him. That scarf is epic!

Are you in love with the props yet? It was an under-funded BBC program back then too. I can remember some of the cardboard props moving around when they shouldn't have.
You've got to love the corny props and effects they used in old sci-fi shows.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Don't knock Billy Heartnell, if you watch all his stories (I know they arent all available) then you will see, he is THE Dr, "the original you might say" totally eccentric, as off the wall as Tom, as capable of being dandyish as Jon, as sarcastic (possibly THE most sarcastic of all), as flash and just as proud as any of them. As kind and as caring... AND he got engaged at one point ...

It took me a while, but watching his portrayal unfold, I was left in no doubt, he IS the doctor.

But Tom is and always will be, MY Dr.

Pertwee is up there, and Eccelston is pretty fantastic. McGanns dr is my favorite in the books, the destruction of the Tardis was devastating though.

But if you want a genius.. A loveable wonderful watchable genius of an actor, it's hard to beat Patrick Troughton!

The first 4 nailed it, it took until Eccelston to get that back.

Edit. If you watch Billy's first arrival on Skaros, he fakes Tardis trouble, just to have a look around, risks the Tardis crew with radiation sickness and almost gets them all killed .. Or should I say exterminated.

Any thought of subdued needs to be taken in the context that .... It was 50 years ago, next year... And for kids.

IMO a lot of the current dr who is as tame as can be.. Or equally tame.

Has it started in the uk yet?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Or simply walking. Forwards, on the sides and backward which helps relaxing the muscles.
Absolutely!

I used to have a perfect system of staying in shape, I walked everywhere. Simple.

I can't walk as much now, health suffered a few years back.. It's taken me years, but I've "recovered" to passably human levels of fitness, via use of bicycle. As a number of people have remarked "if he can do it, then I can do it" ... So I have seen other peoples health improve as well.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Don't knock Billy Heartnell, if you watch all his stories (I know they arent all available) then you will see, he is THE Dr, "the original you might say" totally eccentric, as off the wall as Tom, as capable of being dandyish as Jon, as sarcastic (possibly THE most sarcastic of all), as flash and just as proud as any of them. As kind and as caring... AND he got engaged at one point ...

It took me a while, but watching his portrayal unfold, I was left in no doubt, he IS the doctor.

But Tom is and always will be, MY Dr.

Pertwee is up there, and Eccelston is pretty fantastic. McGanns dr is my favorite in the books, the destruction of the Tardis was devastating though.

But if you want a genius.. A loveable wonderful watchable genius of an actor, it's hard to beat Patrick Troughton!

The first 4 nailed it, it took until Eccelston to get that back.

Edit. If you watch Billy's first arrival on Skaros, he fakes Tardis trouble, just to have a look around, risks the Tardis crew with radiation sickness and almost gets them all killed .. Or should I say exterminated.

Any thought of subdued needs to be taken in the context that .... It was 50 years ago, next year... And for kids.

IMO a lot of the current dr who is as tame as can be.. Or equally tame.

Has it started in the uk yet?
Don't get me wrong, he's a fine doctor. But, he is quite a bit different from doctors 9-11. It might not be that he takes less risks, so much as a difference in personality. The modern doctors are far more outgoing and expressive in their damn-the-cannons attitude.

I understand the difference in the contexts. That's kind of my point, in fact: Doctor Who has evolved with the times.

This is why I started watching from the very beginning, so I could gain an understanding of where it has come from.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Don't get me wrong, he's a fine doctor. But, he is quite a bit different from doctors 9-11. It might not be that he takes less risks, so much as a difference in personality. The modern doctors are far more outgoing and expressive in their damn-the-cannons attitude.

I understand the difference in the contexts. That's kind of my point, in fact: Doctor Who has evolved with the times.

This is why I started watching from the very beginning, so I could gain an understanding of where it has come from.
I believe you mean that THEY are different from HIM :)

Yes, damn the cannon... Some old fans weep, some refuse to watch it... Me, I don't care, there is new dr who on TV the world is a better place for it, if it gets to the point where I can't watch it any more, I shall be happy for those that now love it :)

Where are you up to? And are you listening to the audio only stories as well?

I managed to re watch everything and just managed to cram it all in before the first episode was broadcast in 05 ... It was a matter of timing :)

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,406 Posts
Why do we never hear talk of ISFPs being good matches for INTJs?

They have all of the same cognitive functions as us except in a different order.
I have no idea. I like ISFPs...I want to be one....I'll make that my new project.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I believe you mean that THEY are different from HIM :)

Yes, damn the cannon... Some old fans weep, some refuse to watch it... Me, I don't care, there is new dr who on TV the world is a better place for it, if it gets to the point where I can't watch it any more, I shall be happy for those that now love it :)

Where are you up to? And are you listening to the audio only stories as well?

I managed to re watch everything and just managed to cram it all in before the first episode was broadcast in 05 ... It was a matter of timing :)
New Dr. who being what I started with, that formed my initial perspective of what Dr. Who is.

I've only watched a handful of the classic episodes so far.

12061 - 12080 of 38040 Posts