Personality Cafe banner

9181 - 9200 of 9250 Posts

·
Registered
INTP
5,269 Posts
I'm so excited for the result of the US election.

As a Brit I don't have a right to make comments on American politics but: I sincerely hope Donald Trump is utterly decimated. He signifies the worst of what this generation of western society has given us. Yes, okay, he wasn't super-special Hitler evil by any stretch, but he is a demonstrably not nice human being, and his election just lit the afterburner on rampant right wing populism, hatred and ignorance in an already painful post-2008 society (and since us Brits have a common language with America, we have been greatly influenced by it too). I can't fucking wait for him to go. I don't even care that sleepy Joe Biden appears to be basically the Democrat version of George Bush - a useless idiot. At least it will signify a return to boring politics as usual, and will hopefully let society come together again in some way. I'm just fucking sick of political populism.

·
Registered
29,166 Posts
I'm so excited for the result of the US election.

As a Brit I don't have a right to make comments on American politics but: I sincerely hope Donald Trump is utterly decimated. He signifies the worst of what this generation of western society has given us. Yes, okay, he wasn't super-special Hitler evil by any stretch, but he is a demonstrably not nice human being, and his election just lit the afterburner on rampant right wing populism, hatred and ignorance in an already painful post-2008 society (and since us Brits have a common language with America, we have been greatly influenced by it too). I can't fucking wait for him to go. I don't even care that sleepy Joe Biden appears to be basically the Democrat version of George Bush - a useless idiot. At least it will signify a return to boring politics as usual, and will hopefully let society come together again in some way. I'm just fucking sick of political populism.
I hope Trump wins. After 8 years he definitely can’t come back. :alien:

·
Registered
INTP
5,269 Posts
I hope Trump wins. After 8 years he definitely can’t come back. :alien:
Ha, yeah that's a fair point.

I don't think it would bode well for society though. This is my screaming inner lefty doing the talking here, but from experience I can say that "just a little bit more" of any right wing government just results in utter ruination. The UK is in its tenth year of Conservative leadership and the nation has undergone irreversible damage, at the social and political level. Literally nothing has improved since 2010. Oh, unless you're in the top 1%. Cliched to say it these days, but they are the only folk who have done well. Sad indeed. Fuck modern right wing politics.

·
Registered
29,166 Posts
Ha, yeah that's a fair point.

I don't think it would bode well for society though. This is my screaming inner lefty doing the talking here, but from experience I can say that "just a little bit more" of any right wing government just results in utter ruination. The UK is in its tenth year of Conservative leadership and the nation has undergone irreversible damage, at the social and political level. Literally nothing has improved since 2010. Oh, unless you're in the top 1%. Cliched to say it these days, but they are the only folk who have done well. Sad indeed. Fuck modern right wing politics.
Yeah, I’m thinking he won’t win this time though. In 2016, he was extremely bold and knocked out 15 or 16 Republicans despite not even being the same as them at all. He completely wiped the floor with them. Hillary Clinton was easy to beat.

But now, he has no charisma at all. Everything he says about Biden is that Biden is far-leftist which is just false. Biden is always changing his positions like old fashioned politics. It’s all strawmen, deflection and talking over the opponent. I don’t think he will win anyway. But who knows, last time they said Hillary would win and Trump got it out of nowhere. So let’s see what happens.

·
Registered
29,166 Posts
I’m thinking this master’s degree thing is getting stupid. My university is pretty bad with their online course.

I have a final paper due next Monday (the only deliverable in the entire course) and I have no motivation to do it. It’s something I’ve already done in a prior class in my old school. All the topics were not new. They was no avenue to discover new things, no engagement at all.

I guess I got to take the algorithms class I wanted so badly to take. But now there is little interest in continuing.

I got reprimanded in an grade result for using “3 files instead of the directed 2 files.” It sounds patently stupid, but no it happened. This is supposed to be a “Master’s” degree and it is more about being treated like a pre-schooler. Not precisely following directions is a killer here I suppose.

Apparently there is a 6 month long ongoing group complaint from 100+ students and the school has only recently addressed it with their non-reply.

I think it’s going to be tough to justify. I think I learned the hard way not to accept credentialism. Suddenly, I no longer want to be a so called “Master.”

You know what would be better? How about I just become a Zen Master? At least I’d be improving myself. I’ve taken some thought into perhaps an alternate program in the philosophical areas, but I haven’t quite found one yet. A lot of them seem to be about theology believe it or not. At least the ones online. I could also exercise my creative muscle in that case. But maybe that’s for later, or just impossible.

·
Registered
29,166 Posts
New York has decided to put California back on the quarantine list the day after I booked my flight. I’m going to have to rethink this says I. It would be pretty bad to get stuck in that state.

·
Registered
INTP
5,269 Posts
Did I mention that my brother and his boyfriend moved back in?

It has been awful. Not nightmarishly awful, but just bad enough to feel like I'm not living my own life any more. Aside from the previously mentioned woes about how they are ALWAYS on my sofa (and they still are!), I am now beginning to feel marginally depressed by just how fucking boring they both are. They talk to each other in the way I would talk to someone in a job interview. Their interactions are oddly forced and robotic, with a politeness I find highly unbecoming of normal human interaction. So much please, thank you, "would you like one of these?", etc. It feels awkward and scripted, there are no are no colloquialisms or 'fun things' that they throw into their style of speech, like normal people do when they know each other well. It's just awkward and feels like it's all slightly muted.

It's weird. I highly suspect it's partly due to the fact that it's "my" house so they feel like guests and have muted their personalities a bit, in the way that new guests often do. But... for fucks sake, he's my little brother?! I always got on with him absolutely fine before. In fact I still do. The 'muted personality' issue is clearly a result of his boring, useless, waster boyfriend. When two people are together, their personalities rub off on each other a bit. It feels like my funny, outgoing, intelligent younger brother has been muted by his boyfriend. Not in an abusing or controlling way, but a sort of chameleoning way. My brother's an ENTP, so he shares some traits with me as an INTP, namely the social harmony and ability to just get on with people, but sadly this manifests as chameleoning in some ways and it has clearly subdued his personality.

They're both just so boring together.

In other news, my brother landed a job in London, so they're moving out in a couple of weeks. But this just circles back round to another rant about his fucking waster boyfriend. My brother tried really hard to get his new job, it was a really big selection process with about three online interviews, a presentation etc, where he was chosen out of about 700 other applicants. He's done really well and from now on he is going to be one rich motherfucker. Even his 'graduate trainee' salary is the same as my apparently high programmer salary. Anyway, back to his boyfriend... He hasn't tried to look for work AT ALL, and now they're moving to London together. Internally I'm just screaming, "HE'S A DEADWEIGHT ON YOUR LIFE!", but I don't know how to say it because my brother doesn't seem that unhappy overall. But how can he be happy like this? Who wants a partner that fucking boring, that much of a tag-along, and with that little aspiration to do anything other than sit there and read programming blogs?

Even funnier is that I'm absolutely certain his boyfriend is an INTP. He's highly intelligent but fucking useless and has zero interest in doing anything in the world. This is what a bad INTP looks like.

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
14,890 Posts
"HE'S A DEADWEIGHT ON YOUR LIFE!", but I don't know how to say it because my brother doesn't seem that unhappy overall.
This is just a thought. Did I hear you say you don't know what to say to them to get your feelings across? Maybe this is an unnecessary idea if they are leaving anyway but ... what about preparing a list of written questions? Call it a quiz they have to pass or fail. Numbering them and handing them to each? Act as of this is an amusing joke for you. I don't know what the questions would be ... just my intuition. These are not questions you would ask face-to-face.

1. How do like being here?
2. What do you think of me?
3. Do you think I like you here?
4. Do you like the color of my couch?
5. What do you do during the day?
6. What are your plans for tomorrow?

Maybe some of these are strong. Weaken them a bit.

·
Registered
INTP
5,269 Posts
This is just a thought. Did I hear you say you don't know what to say to them to get your feelings across? Maybe this is an unnecessary idea if they are leaving anyway but ... what about preparing a list of written questions? Call it a quiz they have to pass or fail. Numbering them and handing them to each? Act as of this is an amusing joke for you. I don't know what the questions would be ... just my intuition. These are not questions you would ask face-to-face.

1. How do like being here?
2. What do you think of me?
3. Do you think I like you here?
4. Do you like the color of my couch?
5. What do you do during the day?
6. What are your plans for tomorrow?

Maybe some of these are strong. Weaken them a bit.
That sounds like the most passive aggressive, awkward thing I could possibly do in this situation.

I'm just going to wait for them to leave. And yes I know I am badly exhibiting the worst aspect of the 'agreeableness' trait that INTPs are known to have. But hey, it's nearly over, so fuck it.

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
14,890 Posts
@HAL. Okay. I guess the need to act has passed in this situation. I've been accused of passive aggressiveness in the past. I guess I'll have to look at that.

Reactions: HAL

·
Registered
INTP
6 Posts
Hello my INTP comrades, I was just reading random INTP articles and came across one that suggested joining an INTP forum to help with boredom/ loneliness (I'd put myself somewhere between the two, maybe just lacking stimulating conversation) so I thought I'd come back to personality cafe and have a gander.
Apparently I joined this site while I was living in China, cuz that's where it says I am and I don't know how to change (not sure I care enough to).
Anyway, I like this thread. Once I remember what I came here to post in the first place, I will post it.

p.s. anyone else's life not change that drastically during the pandemic? 😅

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
14,890 Posts
p.s. anyone else's life not change that drastically during the pandemic?
Yeah. My life has changed for the better. I don't have to go out as much. On the other hand it's riskier when I do go out, but thems the breaks.

Reactions: LiMù

·
Registered
INTP
4,801 Posts
@HAL I want to fly over there and give them some aggressiveness!

@LiMù My life has changed for the better. Now I have more reasons to avoid people. I'm finding out how introverted I really am, and I'm enjoying my time alone.

·
Registered
29,166 Posts
Hello my INTP comrades, I was just reading random INTP articles and came across one that suggested joining an INTP forum to help with boredom/ loneliness (I'd put myself somewhere between the two, maybe just lacking stimulating conversation) so I thought I'd come back to personality cafe and have a gander.
Apparently I joined this site while I was living in China, cuz that's where it says I am and I don't know how to change (not sure I care enough to).
Anyway, I like this thread. Once I remember what I came here to post in the first place, I will post it.

p.s. anyone else's life not change that drastically during the pandemic? 😅
I was stuck at home and so was my mother and brother. I basically learned that being home is nice, only when I am alone. Home itself isn’t enough.

I have since gotten my own apartment and have been alone for a few months now. It doesn’t really affect me, I just wear a mask when I’m outdoors. But I’m almost never outdoors. Frankly, 1-2 times a month I’ve actually left the building since I’ve been on my own.

·
Registered
INTP 6w7
2,138 Posts
How do you get to know new people?
What are other people's first impressions of you like?
How much do you talk when you meet new people and does this have a positive/ negative impact on how things go?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I miss a view.
Always a fan of heights... and this guy buys a freaking ground-floor apartment. Fak you, past me.

·
Registered
INTP sp/so 9w1 6w5 4w5
5,479 Posts
Being an INTP Nine feels a bit weird sometimes.

·
Registered
INTP 6w7
2,138 Posts
How do you get to know new people?
What are other people's first impressions of you like?
How much do you talk when you meet new people and does this have a positive/ negative impact on how things go?
This was meant to be in ask the INTPs a question, sorry.

9181 - 9200 of 9250 Posts