Personality Cafe banner
4961 - 4980 of 5006 Posts

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
hi again...update
I found a posting about 9w1 and decided to read it. I resonate with 3 of them. Are these stackings, like equivalent to enneagram health scale?
If anyone would like to explain it, feel free.
sx/sp 9w1 Id say this one is more when I am depressed, and angry with myself. I definitely felt the "sloth".
sx/so 9w1 This one hurt the most....lol it was all accurate expect the music part. I am terrible at music. i love it and listen to it of course, but I cannot figure how the tunes or lyrics or anything. This I guess, "shocked" me the most " This type falls in love easily" yeah....
and with this one sp/so 9w1 It is more of a description of someone who I want to be, who I strive to be, how I think of myself.....But I really dont think I am
I would advise steering clear of resources that talk about shit like "music" as part of IVs. Keep it simple: what are IVs actually about? How are they defined?

IVs are three primary modes of instinct that motivate human behavior: Sp, or Self Preservation, Sx, or Sexual, and So, or Social. You can also think of them as being "subtypes" of each type.

Sp is...supposedly most occupied with physical safety, security, or comfort; concerns about food, clothing, money, housing, health. They'd allegedly first notice something like temperature when they walk in a room. Some would disagree with this definition. Others associate it with things like guardedness.

So is...associated with groups, a need for acceptance and belonging, banding together with others, subtle "politics" between the different people and groups. They're attuned to a "place" within a hierarchical social structure, both in regards to themselves and others.

Sx is...being sexy. Just kidding, please never mistake it for this. It's actually all about intimacy, intensity, 1 on 1, focus on the most interesting people in the room (people they are drawn to) rather than hierarchical structures like Soc IVs, magnetism.

What do any of these have to do with music skills or intelligence again? Hmm. Yep, basically nothing.

Reactions: starwars

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would advise steering clear of resources that talk about shit like "music" as part of IVs. Keep it simple: what are IVs actually about? How are they defined?

IVs are three primary modes of instinct that motivate human behavior: Sp, or Self Preservation, Sx, or Sexual, and So, or Social. You can also think of them as being "subtypes" of each type.

Sp is...supposedly most occupied with physical safety, security, or comfort; concerns about food, clothing, money, housing, health. They'd allegedly first notice something like temperature when they walk in a room. Some would disagree with this definition. Others associate it with things like guardedness.

So is...associated with groups, a need for acceptance and belonging, banding together with others, subtle "politics" between the different people and groups. They're attuned to a "place" within a hierarchical social structure, both in regards to themselves and others.

Sx is...being sexy. Just kidding, please never mistake it for this. It's actually all about intimacy, intensity, 1 on 1, focus on the most interesting people in the room (people they are drawn to) rather than hierarchical structures like Soc IVs, magnetism.

What do any of these have to do with music skills or intelligence again? Hmm. Yep, basically nothing.
Lolol that is something I learned thru mbti, just because the stereo type says this type is good at it, does NOT mean everyone with that type does the same. Thanks for the break down. I now want to look up my whole families stacks.
also I kinda hate you with your joke. I giggled. yeah why am I giggling

Reactions: Hexcoder

·
Registered
6,666 Posts

Currently laughing at all the people who said I was too reactive to be a 9w8 (which is the type and wing this paragraph is talking about).

·
Registered
INTP sp/so 9w1 6w5 4w5
5,543 Posts
I now want to know about my instinctual (is that what it is called?) thing I have seen it around and took the test once before but was so completely lost. Is this part of enneagram, or another personality thing?
I actually think it's useful on its own. Sometimes I haven't the foggiest idea what someone's Enneagram or MBTI is, but I can tell what their dominant instinct or instinctual stacking is, and it gives me at least a foothold in trying to understand something about them. With the sx instinct, much like with MBTI's Se, sometimes I admire it, and sometimes I have to remind myself it's a perfectly valid way of seeing the world.

I guess I tend to think of it as a Venn diagram, maybe "separate but complementary". That being said, I've almost never seen it discussed outside the context of Enneagram. Probably the only useful bit I've learned about being an sp-first sx-last in relation to being a Nine is that it explains why I don't experience merging or even understand the appeal of it.

Interestingly I've heard that instinctual stacking (how frequently you use all instincts compared to each other) is one of the few things about our personality we can actually change. I don't know if that's true, I can't imagine being anything other than sp-first, but I find the idea compelling.

You might find this thread helpful:

THE Resource Thread for Instinctual Variants and Stackings

Even IQ tests can't measure that well because there are multiple intelligences
Oh man, so much this. School came easily to me except for math (at least up until I had a tutor over the summer and an excellent math teacher the next two years, and even then I never earned the grades I did in other classes; for instance, language was like breathing to me) and PE (my old attitude toward PE was essentially shooting myself in the foot). So when people tell me I'm smart, I reply that a more accurate way of putting it would be that I'm academically inclined. Interpersonal dynamics? Stereotypical INTP. Emotional intelligence? Again, see INTP. Street smart? Fail. A friend once said, "You don't do very well with 3D spaces, do you?" I replied, "So basically...real life?" He cringed, but couldn't deny it.

So while I might be smart, it's only within a very narrow sense of the word. (And to be honest, I don't even think I was all that academically smart to begin with, and not having consistent habits of what and how and when I learn, I feel quite dumb these days.)

I saw somewhere that self-preservation is not just preservation of the physical self, but of the sense of self. It might explain why I think merging with another person would feel like a kind of death. And I'm clearly sp, but I do not at all relate to "I am my body." (Perhaps that's why sp is so often described as being concerned with physical comfort, because from what I can tell most people seem to think they are their bodies.)

Sx is...being sexy. Just kidding, please never mistake it for this.
I often see sx equated with sex drive/libido. It makes me sigh and have to refrain from saying, "You do know sp Nine is nicknamed Appetite not merely for a lust for food, right?" But I never do because I fear the creepers.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
:lemmings_by_mirz123

ignore this, im getting the emoji for somewhere else

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Oh man, so much this. School came easily to me except for math (at least up until I had a tutor over the summer and an excellent math teacher the next two years, and even then I never earned the grades I did in other classes; for instance, language was like breathing to me) and PE (my old attitude toward PE was essentially shooting myself in the foot). So when people tell me I'm smart, I reply that a more accurate way of putting it would be that I'm academically inclined. Interpersonal dynamics? Stereotypical INTP. Emotional intelligence? Again, see INTP. Street smart? Fail. A friend once said, "You don't do very well with 3D spaces, do you?" I replied, "So basically...real life?" He cringed, but couldn't deny it.
I was the same way with language and math in school. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying you're smart, don't sell yourself short. It's not a claim that you're good at everything or have all the intelligences, it's just an acknowledgement that there is some intelligence there as demonstrated in a particular area.

So while I might be smart, it's only within a very narrow sense of the word. (And to be honest, I don't even think I was all that academically smart to begin with, and not having consistent habits of what and how and when I learn, I feel quite dumb these days.)
Sometimes feeling dumb just comes from not using your strengths enough and losing sight of them. Not that it's necessarily the case with you, but maybe it's food for thought. Being immersed in things you're bad at isn't good for the self-esteem unless you're growing from it. People aren't made to be good at everything at the end of the day still though, we all have our strengths and weaknesses. I can't follow long sequences of instructions to save my life (thanks, ADHD), but I'm a Tetris/packing queen. People praise my skills and say I could make more working elsewhere in one thing (I was packing shopping carts as a cashier at a store that doesn't use bags) and they treat me like I'm incompetent in another (such as a sign production job, bc long sequences), yet I barely even tried at the thing I was good at.

I often see sx equated with sex drive/libido. It makes me sigh and have to refrain from saying, "You do know sp Nine is nicknamed Appetite not merely for a lust for food, right?" But I never do because I fear the creepers.
Tbh I'd disagree with Sp or any IV being associated with sex drive for any type. In my mind, it just deviates too much from the primary modes of instinct that drive human behavior that the instinctual variants are supposed to be. It kind of goes without saying that sex drives basically all of us at least to some extent. Any type can have any level of libido, that's something we all have. It's also something that can be affected by medical conditions, hormone levels, medications, etc. there are too many variables to really be able to attribute sex drive to an IV if you ask me.

I saw somewhere that self-preservation is not just preservation of the physical self, but of the sense of self. It might explain why I think merging with another person would feel like a kind of death.
I honestly have a problem with the whole "9 Sx merging" thing as a psychological health issue. After learning about Identity Disturbance I just can't look at this as something normal. It seems more like a mental health concern. So if you ask me, this description of Sp 9 is moreso just describing a healthier person.

And I'm clearly sp, but I do not at all relate to "I am my body." (Perhaps that's why sp is so often described as being concerned with physical comfort, because from what I can tell most people seem to think they are their bodies.)
I wouldn't relate to this either, I'd relate more to being my mind or my consciousness. I don't think I'd trust whatever source this claim came from. I don't know if I agree that most people think they are their bodies, either.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
During the quarantine, I've stopped focusing much on the outside world. I started having vivid dreams again that I remember well when I wake up. The dreams almost feel more real than the real world. I look forward to falling asleep every night now, curious about what will happen in my dreams.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
I'm really sick of the stereotypes that a 9 is a weak pushover/doormat that always avoids conflict to the point of detriment, is always happy, carefree, and smiling, and is never reactive at all.

Like really? What the fuck are you people smoking? There are people on this planet who are just completely incapable of healthier practices and they will always be stuck in a certain unhealthy behavior no matter how hard they try? As if they can never be found guilty of doing a pendulum swing while trying to learn assertiveness? As if their experiences with being treated like a doormat can never be a catalyst into always being assertive and refusing to ever be treated that way again, possibly even becoming hypersensitive to it, because they're so fucking sick of it all? Does a personality type provide somebody with immunity to emotion-related mental illnesses like bipolar, borderline, depression, and anxiety disorders? Do you seriously think that someone who prefers equilibrium can't possibly ever also have emotional depth and struggle with emotional self-control when that equilibrium is disturbed?

You claim that typology helps you understand people so much, yet you stereotype because you understand so very little about human beings. You say you understand people better, but in reality, you just reduce humans to simpler concepts that are easier to grasp than the complexity of reality and in doing so you dismiss many nuances of truth that are actually still there.

·
Registered
810 Posts
You claim that typology helps you understand people so much, yet you stereotype because you understand so very little about human beings. You say you understand people better, but in reality, you just reduce humans to simpler concepts that are easier to grasp than the complexity of reality and in doing so you dismiss many nuances of truth that are actually still there.
I have seen this in parents. They are like 'i dunno why my kid hate me' and from what i can tell, all they really did was give them room, food, clothes, and some pats. dear parent, you are raising a HUMAN BEING something super duper sophisticated. Stop being so dumb.
also another pet peeve is how people expect you to be just like them. moods, thinking, actions, all of it. and they are all shcked to learn that your (in this case, my) brain is "wired" differently.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I don't know where else to express this but this seems like a good place.

I feel like I've been blessed. I feel an understanding of things forming in my being, both of myself and of the world I live in. It feels like I've found a balance between pessimism and optimism. I believe there are things larger than me and this world that I can't articulate through words alone. I have lots of ideas about how to make the world a better place, but they're different enough from the way things are now that I don't know how well most people would receive them. This is largely due to the writings of an author I've been lucky enough to read a book of lately, but also due to some intense experiences I've had over the past year. I used to feel terrible when I was alone for any significant length of time, but now I can feel something great when I'm alone, some kind of oneness or universal essence. It's hard to explain but it's the thought that we're all in this together. I feel like it's ok to understand different viewpoints, like I don't have to be ashamed of being able to, but I also feel a core philosophy developing in my mind. Like I finally know what my fundamental beliefs are about the world, or I'm starting to anyway. Now all I want is to talk them over with people, to see what other people have to say about these feelings I have, about the ideas I've been reading about, and about what our life's purpose is.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This quarantine has been quite bad for me as a Type 9. I’ve been forced to live in a new environment, and I’ve been unable to adapt to the online/distance learning process we’ve have to go through. This has really exposed my unhealthy type 9 tendencies. I’ve felt that I have been “asleep” for almost a month now, putting off my uni courses and indulging in TV shows, YouTube, and video games. I’ve never really felt this way before the quarantine started, probably because my surrounding environment has always been so strong that I never really needed to motivate myself to do anything, such I just “followed the flow”. Traditional university life has been great for me, since I was busy all the time, with something to occupy me. Now that I’m on my own, I haven’t been able to motivate myself to do anything, daydreaming, imagining what it would be like if I lived in a TV show world.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
This quarantine has been quite bad for me as a Type 9. I’ve been forced to live in a new environment, and I’ve been unable to adapt to the online/distance learning process we’ve have to go through. This has really exposed my unhealthy type 9 tendencies. I’ve felt that I have been “asleep” for almost a month now, putting off my uni courses and indulging in TV shows, YouTube, and video games. I’ve never really felt this way before the quarantine started, probably because my surrounding environment has always been so strong that I never really needed to motivate myself to do anything, such I just “followed the flow”. Traditional university life has been great for me, since I was busy all the time, with something to occupy me. Now that I’m on my own, I haven’t been able to motivate myself to do anything, daydreaming, imagining what it would be like if I lived in a TV show world.
I often think that daydreaming is underrated. Have you thought about writing them down? Living in a TV show world is an interesting idea, like in the movie "The Truman Show" :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I often think that daydreaming is underrated. Have you thought about writing them down? Living in a TV show world is an interesting idea, like in the movie "The Truman Show" :)
Yeah I think you’re right. When I’ve been writing down my daily thoughts in a journal I feel that my thoughts are more clear. It’s just sometimes even the act of acknowledging my darker thoughts becomes uncomfortable that I don’t want to consciously revisit them. Given some deeper stuff comes out of my dreams and daydreams it might indeed helpful to reflect on them. I feel like as a 9 we don’t have direct access to those thoughts, as we so often tend to turn away from them.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Yeah I think you’re right. When I’ve been writing down my daily thoughts in a journal I feel that my thoughts are more clear. It’s just sometimes even the act of acknowledging my darker thoughts becomes uncomfortable that I don’t want to consciously revisit them. Given some deeper stuff comes out of my dreams and daydreams it might indeed helpful to reflect on them. I feel like as a 9 we don’t have direct access to those thoughts, as we so often tend to turn away from them.
I think so too. I've been having such vivid dreams since the quarantine started, enough so that I think they must represent some of my true thoughts and feelings. Sometimes they surprise me with their intensity--it's like, I don't always realize I'm capable of it until my conscious mind is turned off.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think so too. I've been having such vivid dreams since the quarantine started, enough so that I think they must represent some of my true thoughts and feelings. Sometimes they surprise me with their intensity--it's like, I don't always realize I'm capable of it until my conscious mind is turned off.
It’s been interesting because since I’ve moved to the USA for university (almost 1 year now), I’ve never had a dream set here, only at home, or in a fantastical setting resembling home. I’ve had dreams however with people I’ve met here being back home with me, which is particularly strange. Maybe it means that I haven’t really totally internalised my life here yet?
I feel in a way I do learn more about myself through my dreams than when I’m awake :proud: It really is hard for me to form a self awareness of what I really feel about something — it’s just something I’ve been told not to share, which I’ve interpreted as not sharing it with myself as well.

Reactions: goldthysanura

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
It’s been interesting because since I’ve moved to the USA for university (almost 1 year now), I’ve never had a dream set here, only at home, or in a fantastical setting resembling home. I’ve had dreams however with people I’ve met here being back home with me, which is particularly strange. Maybe it means that I haven’t really totally internalised my life here yet?
I feel in a way I do learn more about myself through my dreams than when I’m awake :proud: It really is hard for me to form a self awareness of what I really feel about something — it’s just something I’ve been told not to share, which I’ve interpreted as not sharing it with myself as well.
Yeah, or maybe some part of you misses home, and is still longing for it? Or at least, it's still on your mind/heart, perhaps.

That's interesting. Once in a while I have dreams about being back in school (pre-college school), though I'm not sure if it's because I miss it or because I'm still processing what that was like, even though it was a while ago.

I'd say that even though we react to the present while we're conscious, our past experiences often continue to live on with us, rippling out in time, and we're more aware of that when we're dreaming. Maybe that's where ghosts come from, too. I read somewhere that a high percentage of people who've lost a loved one have an experience where they hear and/or see that loved on after they're gone, like they were there in the flesh.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I've been having some serious conflict lately. I got angry with a roommate a little over a month ago (in response to them getting angry with me); it was bad. Then, tonight I finally brought up the tension I've been feeling with a different roommate (partially related to that first incident). It was super awkward but I did it while other people were there, which I think was a good decision. I had been trying to sweep that tension under the rug, but it caused me pain to suppress it. In the end, even though revealing the problems was unpleasant, I'm glad I brought it out into the open. I hope that going forward, I/we can find more peace. If not, then I guess I'll have to roll with the punches.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I think I've gone through the worst of the feelings surrounding that conflict. Now that it's out in the open, I can see things more clearly. It's just way better and I'm proud of myself for being honest.

·
Registered
9w1 sp
2,907 Posts
Is it possible for one's instinctual variants to change? I used to have a preoccupation with finding people I clicked with super well, particularly as a romantic connection. I don't really care about that now. I don't recall traits (stereotypical or not) of instinctual variants because I've not been into the subject for awhile, but I seem to recall the connection-obsessiveness as something Sx-people might have lol. I never could tell what my second variant might be -- always found Sx and So both relatable. I suppose I'm more So-like these days.

4961 - 4980 of 5006 Posts