Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 'Tender Loving Care' Mother
ISFJ (Introverted, Sensing, Feeling, Judging)

"I want my children to feel they have an ally, someone who knows them completely. I want to be a haven for them."

Gentle and kind, the ISFJ mother provides her children with generous amounts of tenderness, affection, and the comfort of daily routine. Her aim is to "be there" for her children, physically and emotionally. She is sensitive to their feelings, offering closeness, understanding, and quiet support.

Loyal and devoted, the ISFJ mother has a strong sense of duty and consistently puts her children's needs first. She delights in taking care of the little things that matter to a child, making each one feel loved and special.

To provide her family with security and warmth, the ISFJ mother tends to the practical and domestic, aiming for a smooth-running household and an attractive home. She also observes and conveys the value and importance of family traditions.

Tips
The ISFJ mother can benefit from cultivating her own interests and putting her needs first every so often. Young children may appreciate her unwavering attention. But older children with increasing needs for independence may find it burdensome. Encouraging herself to experience life beyond the responsibilities of motherhood can give the ISFJ perspective and a sense of fun and joyful living her family is sure to appreciate.
Because she needs structure and quiet to fully relax, the ISFJ mother may need to schedule time off on a regular basis-a half hour alone each day, one night a week when she doesn't prepare the meal, a monthly outing by herself, a regular manicure appointment, or a daily walk in the fresh air.

Strengths
Showing love in practical ways. The ISFJ mother shows her love with home-cooked meals, an orderly house, neatly folded laundry, hand-made holiday decorations… and time with each child in quiet togetherness.
Tending to the little things. The ISFJ mother goes the extra mile to take care of what's important in a child's life—from the child's point of view. Whether it's searching for hours for a lost toy, reading a favorite bed-time story for the fifty-first time, or volunteering as a teacher's helper in her child's classroom, the ISFJ knows what matters to her child and comes through.
Establishing boundaries. The ISFJ mother provides a secure environment for her family by defining clear roles for parent and child, steady and consistent rules, and predictable routines. Her children know what they can count on.
Sensitivity. Loving and kind, the ISFJ mother is a patient listener, valuing and respecting each child's feelings and concerns.

Struggles
Appreciation. Because she serves behind the scenes and makes household and mothering tasks look effortless, the ISFJ mom may struggle with feeling taken for granted. She may feel hurt if loved ones fail to notice or appreciate her efforts.
Guilt. With a fierce sense of being duty-bound to family, home, and other commitments she has made, the ISFJ is vulnerable to both internal and external "shoulds" and feelings of guilt.
Fear of being a "wet blanket." The ISFJ, knowing she pours herself into her family and has a high need for order and structure, wonders about the impact she has on her loved ones. She may worry that her children find her too serious, overly sensible, or stifling.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Everything in that except 'serious, overly sensible or stifling' fit to a T for my mum, in fact they'd be the last words I'd use to describe her with.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Thanks for that, my mom is an ISFJ and that was very accurate. I will make sure that she knows just how much she is appreciated for all that she does. And I agree with the poster above...I wouldn't describe my mom as "serious, overly sensible, or stifling". She can be all of those things occasionally but overall I wouldn't use those words to describe her at all.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think the ISFJ also represents the religious elements of society.
I - the monk, Jesus wandering in the desert for 40 days
S - the mystical experience
F - emphasizing love/compassion over reason/justice
J - order = good, chaos = bad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts