Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, recently, a perC friend of mine asked how I learned to accept life. I needed to think about this. And then I recalled that not to long ago I had a three day epiphany. I was going to write a blog about it. But here's the thing. Epiphanies are pulling all the details together into one central concept. The reason my epiphany lasted three days was because it was pulling my life together under one central concept.

For me, whenever I hear a theory it stays in the back of my mind until I see it in real life for myself. I never take anyone's theory for what it is at face value unless I have already experienced it but didn't have the words to describe it. In this way, I feel that I discover the meanings to ideas.

Sooo...I haven't finished writing it and even leaving out many of the details, it might turn into a novel for which I am grateful for the idea.

Every epiphany leaves an imprint on my world perspective. Allowing me to tap into different abilities of my psyche. I can make myself happy, sad, focused, distracted, calm and nervous. I can laugh because I realize life is just a joke.

Instead of publishing my memoir on the forum, I am just going to share the most inspirational words/ideas that were the most important in achieving this state of mind.

A. The six human needs (According to Tony Robinson--who I think is an ENFP)
The first four are easily satisfied and everyone will find a way to satisfy whether it be in a healthy or unhealthy way:
1. Certainty
2. Uncertainty
3. Significance
4. Love
The second two are just as important but many people forget:
5. To grow
6. To give back

B. All struggle is internal struggle.

C. Though I walk through the shadow of the valley of death, I fear no evil, for thou art with me.

(This statement is akin to J.F.K.'s: The only thing to fear is fear itself.)
Fear must be dismantled and picked apart because it is useful but only because when you pick it apart and prove it wrong, you learn new ways to love the world around you.
You cannot love and fear at the same time. I learned this, try it sometime if you have the chance. You will be amazed.

D. There are four kinds of love.

1. Affection
The love for that which is known and familiar. Allows you to take that which is loved for granted. The love for that which is inferior in value.

2. Friendship.
Friendship is when one person sees the world a certain way and someone else says something that indicates they see it that way too. They both say, in their heads, "You, too? I thought I was the only one."
Now there are two of you. And it's so beautiful.

3. Eros
"In love" this is lustful, passionate, insatiable love. Also called infatuation. Infatuation waxes and wanes in its power. Because it is weaker than the fourth kind of love but it is more powerful, entrancing, spellbinding, than any of the others.

4. "Charity" AKA The source of love
All the other kinds of love are derived from the source of true love which is the ONLY permanent form of joy in the universe. Buddhists call it enlightenment. Christians call it the love of God. Jung called it psychological wholeness.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By that you mean you don't know how to shake it up?
It's so weird that you mention uncertainty because I feel like when things are too uncertain we can go a little crazy. Nobody likes it. Why are so many people afraid to quit their jobs? It's like the unknown that brings this tremendous fear. That's why the concept of faith (trust in tomorrow, trust that what will happen will happen and you will survive, everything will turn out) has been so important to me.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Side note, have you ever noticed that optimism in a person who has had their whole life turn out great and nothing bad has ever happened to them is just annoying and stupid but optimism in the face of someone who has experienced near cataclysmic doom is one of the most beautiful things in the whole world?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
"The only thing to fear is fear itself" Not to be a stereotypical S, but that was actually FDR :)

"5. To grow
6. To give back"

These seem to be the two values lacking from American/western culture (I can't comment on the rest of the world because, quite simply, I don't know). We say we value them all the time, but I never see it in practice. And it's sad, because the way I see it, these are the two most crucial values to coming to the state of enlightenment you seem to have reached. I just recently accepted them, myself, and it's the first time ever in my life that I've been complete and happy. I have had so many people try to guide me to their form of "enlightenment", but it was always self-centered.

It's too bad you can't teach people this stuff. "I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it" is all too true.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts