Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's your occupation , if you are a student then what's your major? Does it go well with your type or you don't give much thought on it.

·
Banned
1,536 Posts
I'm studying engineering.

I wouldn't say that it is the best fit in with my type, but it's not bad. I can handle maths and logic.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm not much help because I'm in high school but I think this will be an interesting thread if it stays afloat. I plan to go into psychology and/or linguistics.

Reactions: Sefii

·
Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
(Unemployed) professional musician. I am also going to school but studying math to become a researcher or cryptographer. It seems to be a stereotypical INTJ choice to major in math/science to help out the world in some way.
Music and math ? A little contradicting isn't ?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Actually, music and math go hand in hand. There's quite a bit of research out there to suggest that music education can enhance mathematical skills, and pretty much every academic subject.

Music incorporates a lot of math and patterns and abstract reasoning. For example, rhythm is all about fractions of specific periods of time. Pitch is frequency.

·
Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, music and math go hand in hand. There's quite a bit of research out there to suggest that music education can enhance mathematical skills, and pretty much every academic subject.

Music incorporates a lot of math and patterns and abstract reasoning. For example, rhythm is all about fractions of specific periods of time. Pitch is frequency.
Understandable, but I guess it also depends on the person .. As the human mind is designed to focus on one thing at a time, it would be quite distracting to listen music and do Maths alongside, but that's just my theory.

·
Registered
379 Posts
it would be quite distracting to listen music and do Maths alongside, but that's just my theory.
I think the research points more to learning about music and theory alongside mathematics. For example, two groups of kids in 3rd grade are given a math pre-test, then one group gets three months extra music education while the other group doesn't, and then both groups take a math post-test after that three month period. The kids in the extra-music group get higher scores on the math post-test.

Listening to music and doing math at the same time really does depend on the person. I like to listen to classical music because it helps to filter out all of the sensory input around me so I can just think. Others require complete silence.

·
Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the research points more to learning about music and theory alongside mathematics. For example, two groups of kids in 3rd grade are given a math pre-test, then one group gets three months extra music education while the other group doesn't, and then both groups take a math post-test after that three month period. The kids in the extra-music group get higher scores on the math post-test.

Listening to music and doing math at the same time really does depend on the person. I like to listen to classical music because it helps to filter out all of the sensory input around me so I can just think. Others require complete silence.
Must be, I heard that classical music is good for IQ.
Then I also heard that music works like a drug, takes you in, control your mind, makes you vulnerable.
Hence, I was surprised that how does that even works, but guess we have to look more into it to understand the specific human mechanism. . . . And their interest in Maths.

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
INTJ - Delusional limerant layabout. Sometimes I even go to work to support my addiction to doing nothing much. If I'm really pushing my limits I'll probably daydream a bit and maybe write some smut.

·
Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
INTJ - Delusional limerant layabout. Sometimes I even go to work to support my addiction to doing nothing much. If I'm really pushing my limits I'll probably daydream a bit and maybe write some smut.
Lol, for a moment I concluded you being a writer.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Marketing and web design.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I still have one year of HS (grammar school) left, and I'm planning on taking modern languages (Spanish and Japanese) at university.

·
Registered
707 Posts
ENFP, Majoring in Communication, on breaks I work in Inside Sales

1 - 20 of 73 Posts