Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
NFPs, they highly value their uniqueness, some don't like being "boxed in".

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
It bothers me when people suggest that MBTI 'boxes you in', but yeah...most likely NFPs.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
My ESTJ brother hates it when I talk about his type, continually calls it BS and says he is typeless. :crazy:

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
SPs and NPs in general. They want to feel unique and not be fitted into some pattern or rigid structure. I believe ISFPs are the least likely to take the MBTI test. I have also noticed that going to P forums to talk about MBTI trends there is a greater chance encountering a backlash there and getting blamed for "stereotyping".

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
ESFP. They tend to place a lot of value on their uniqueness, but in a manner that allows them to also feel integrated, unlike the INFP who might use the MBTI to feel less like a freak. This means that the MBTI serves no purpose for them, and merely makes them feel like they are being "put in a box" or "labeled." Their love of freedom and spontaneity would make the idea of being predictable abhorrent to them. Identifying with a specific type would be pointless, since they tend to be very straightforward and authentic without so many layers of hidden mysteries to probe. Paradoxically, their lack of mystery can, in itself, be a mystery to N types, who may consider them nearly magical for their unfamiliar strengths. Intuitives seem more inclined to use type to figure people out, especially intuitives whose dominant processes are Ti or Fi.

Reactions: Max

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't really agree with the NFP thing, although the reasoning makes sense. Before it was taken off, this site showed the number of viewers for each temperment and NF's always tore shit up in quantity by something like 5 to 1 over SJ's. If we don't like being boxed in, how come we're the most likely to USE the tool overall? I think SJ's can think it's all theoretical BS, SP's are interested but think it's too abstract, NT's think's its cool but wonder if Robots have a type, and NF's think "SHIT YEAH, Now I can finally be SEEN?!" I personally can't predict who would feel boxed in.... Maybe introverts in general?

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I don't really agree with the NFP thing, although the reasoning makes sense. Before it was taken off, this site showed the number of viewers for each temperment and NF's always tore shit up in quantity by something like 5 to 1 over SJ's. If we don't like being boxed in, how come we're the most likely to USE the tool overall? I think SJ's can think it's all theoretical BS, SP's are interested but think it's too abstract, NT's think's its cool but wonder if Robots have a type, and NF's think "SHIT YEAH, Now I can finally be SEEN?!" I personally can't predict who would feel boxed in.... Maybe introverts in general?
I've seen a lot of NFPs on this site talk about how they have slight problems with MBTI because it boxes them in or somehow prevents them from fully expressing their individuality. That really doesn't make sense, but that's how some people feel about it. Although, my point with that is that even people on this site may still have a problem with it in that regard.
And it's just an observable trend, not a rule...

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I've seen a lot of NFPs on this site talk about how they have slight problems with MBTI because it boxes them in or somehow prevents them from fully expressing their individuality. That really doesn't make sense, but that's how some people feel about it. Although, my point with that is that even people on this site may still have a problem with it in that regard.
And it's just an observable trend, not a rule...
It's probably dual, or perhaps a bit of a conflict for them. They want to search for their unique identity, so it looks good for self-understanding, but then some (especially those who are not as strong in their preferences, or are coming across bad descriptions of types, temperaments and functions) might feel boxed in.

I think it's a combination of the Ne and Fi. They are abstract focused, and drawn to concepts dealing in possibilities or new perspectives, and Fi provides the search for personal identity. So they gravitate to this moreso than an SFP. The Ne then also pulls towards other possible interpretations, so they do not want to be trapped in one.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
ENFP!

I'm sorry... I misread your thread as "The type most likely to want to be topless."

The TYPEless one... INFP.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I dont know which type in general would most prefer to be typeless.

I know I would. In fact I often feel that I could be any kind of INxx depending on the situation. But the fact that I officially test as INFP may not be factor in answering this question.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Which type do you think that is?
I am an INFP, and personally, I have my own personal riot towards MBTI although I can't stop reading about it and somehow I'm a bit obsessed.
Sometimes i doubt if the human experience can be closed into 4 letters, because i think it goes further. there's something truth in this, and yeah, i hate being labeled.
So, xNFPs win.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't know about that. Saying "INFP" because of their "I wanna be special" Fi thing makes sense, but if this is true then why are they so overrepresented in MBTI forums? (Disclaimer: what follows is a lot of unnecessary generalization) Many INFPs when reading about their type for the first time exclaim "Aw GAWD I am NOT a FREAK after ALL!". Of course because we are such indecisive gits, we come to doubt our types and curse MBTI for its evil boxing of people, even though we can't help feeling intrigued by it because it's precisely about what interests us: personality, the things that make people tick...

Therefore I think it's more likely for people who discard MBTI and other personality typing right away for being "useless bullshit" to qualify. Some Sensor types perhaps. I'd say ESTJs and ESFJs, as there seem to be almost none of them on the MBTI forums I visited... but then again MBTI is used in businesses, so I guess some ESTJs must see some merit in it. Hmm, for now I'll say ESXXs in general.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Not NFPs :dry:....this "theory" does not hold water in reality, as NFPs are two types which embrace MBTI so wholeheartedly their presence on boards such as this is overwhelming. Many prominent MBTI authors identify as INFP, and Isabel Myers, the one who created these categories, was INFP herself. To suggest that we reject MBTI and claim being type-less is ludicrous in face of the facts. I mean - just look around, this place is crawling with self-identifying INFPs!

I agree with the INFPs in here that it was a relief to discover my type. It's comforting to fit into a box! My whole life I've felt alienated - I felt strangely connected to other people & "understood" by finding my type.

My observation: often, when a supposed NFP questions the MBTI "boxes", it turns out they mistyped. Of course the "box" did not resonate when they were picking the wrong one....

I read in some MBTI book (not one of the better ones - can't remember what it was) that INTPs are supposedly the most skeptical of the system and will reject it and its "boxes". However, we all know INTPs get pretty into MBTI also....they are probably the next most common type around here, after INFPs.

I also notice that when people don't choose to list a type, it turns out they are/were NTs or Sensors. There are a few possible reasons for this - S and T functions may be more skeptical for different reasons (distrust of theory or determining flaws in it, respectively); Sensors get a bad rap around here and may not be taken seriously with that S badge.

Anyhow, I am tired of this stereotype, because what happens is, when someone who cannot decide on a type asks for help, if they note that they have considered an NFP type, then people use this erroneous idea as the reason they are probably NFP. It is very, very poor reasoning and should not be used to type people. Labeling someone NFP based on not being to decide on a type is reinforcing the idea that MBTI is just unfounded stereotypes. Now you have made it into the very box they are avoiding.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Not NFPs :dry:....this "theory" does not hold water in reality, as NFPs are two types which embrace MBTI so wholeheartedly their presence on boards such as this is overwhelming. Many prominent MBTI authors identify as INFP, and Isabel Myers, the one who created these categories, was INFP herself. To suggest that we reject MBTI and claim being type-less is ludicrous in face of the facts. I mean - just look around, this place is crawling with self-identifying INFPs!

I agree with the INFPs in here that it was a relief to discover my type. It's comforting to fit into a box! My whole life I've felt alienated - I felt strangely connected to other people & "understood" by finding my type.

My observation: often, when a supposed NFP questions the MBTI "boxes", it turns out they mistyped. Of course the "box" did not resonate when they were picking the wrong one....

I read in some MBTI book (not one of the better ones - can't remember what it was) that INTPs are supposedly the most skeptical of the system and will reject it and its "boxes". However, we all know INTPs get pretty into MBTI also....they are probably the next most common type around here, after INFPs.

I also notice that when people don't choose to list a type, it turns out they are/were NTs or Sensors. There are a few possible reasons for this - S and T functions may be more skeptical for different reasons (distrust of theory or determining flaws in it, respectively); Sensors get a bad rap around here and may not be taken seriously with that S badge.

Anyhow, I am tired of this stereotype, because what happens is, when someone who cannot decide on a type asks for help, if they note that they have considered an NFP type, then people use this erroneous idea as the reason they are probably NFP. It is very, very poor reasoning and should not be used to type people. Labeling someone NFP based on not being to decide on a type is reinforcing the idea that MBTI is just unfounded stereotypes. Now you have made it into the very box they are avoiding.
I think people make this connection because there are so many "infps" on personality boards, and they are most in the spotlight. Usually the first type that comes to mind when assorted qualities are brought up, regardless of whether they fit, is infp! infp! infp! (whose the most sensitive type? infp! whose the most volatile? infp! who desires love the most? infp!) it's like... there are several other types to consider in all these equations, and yet the focus is always on infps'.

I think people really have a very superficial view of Fi... psychological types are an Fi+Ne persons dream; which is why so many infps' are drawn to it. Psychology is a institution filled with labels and criteria, and I believe many infps' are drawn to this field. I think it's the case that xnfps' might be more vocal about opposing the system, whereas other types will silently dismiss it and not even contemplate it in the first place. If you were looking for "most likely" to dimiss the system, it seems illogical to point towards the most over represented type on personality boards. Just because a handful of infps' oppose the system, doesn't mean this type is the most likely to prefer not being typed. If you're going to generalise about a type, you have to think of general trends in the majority in proportion with the population of the type. If you come across 5 infps' in 100 who don't want to be typed (more likely to come across 100 infps' on a personality site), it's not logical to say this type is the least likely to be typed, when perhaps 20-30 in 100 of another type, dismiss types altogether and wouldn't be found on personality sites in large proportions.

Fi+Te doesn't see every label as a box. I've never seen "labels" in that way :dry: and I don't consider type a label. Fi is a little more self absorbed and interested in learning about the self, and would prefer to see it as a tool of learning. Psychological typing and mbti is like the dream tool to an infp. It feeds Ne and gives Fi something to analyse the self with.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts