Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

So i've been on both ends of the spectrum, having been the 'ugly duckling' that transitioned into the 'pretty swan', and one thing i've found is that annoyingly it really is true when they say that people treat you differently. You find that people are more likely to be open with their harsh comments about other peoples' unattractiveness and some people even try to hang out with you more because of the way you look. My past means that i've developed empathy and I don't share the same way of thinking like them. Relationships for me have to be based on character and depth. I can't stand superficial friendships. I feel like most people I meet these days seem to be vain and superficial.

So I guess my question is if you guys have had a similar experience and if so, how do you go about tackling that annoyance you feel when people behave like that?

It'll also be interesting to see the different viewpoints that different personality types have on this topic, so feel free to share! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same exact situation. I used to be very ugly all of my childhood but fortunately I got a huge glow up. My face changed a lot (my body has always been nice) and I'm so thankful for that.

Of course they treat you differently... It's harder to make friend (firstly because you're not confident at all (especially when you're between 11 ans 15 where look is the only thing that matters), consequently you're socially awkward... but in a way it's great because in most case if you succeed to make friends they are true and they love you for who you are. I had only 2 friends and now, years laters they're still my friends.
Secondly, yes people are more likely to open their mouth to say trash things about people's look and they expect you to follow them because you're "above" because of your look... like okay everybody gossip even ugly people but people may think that they are less judgmental (even if I think that there is no correlation I know ugly people who are dicks and very very very skindeep). One day a really good looking boy (he was skindeep) started to try to talk shit with me about other's looks.. He was very mean for nothing --' I found it... ridiculous. I was annoyed because it didn't entertained me at all like .. can't you mind your own bisuness?????We don't care..

Conversely to you, it didn't make me an empath. Not at all. I've been bullied because of my look but it made me... Insensitive... But I know what it feels like so I won't talk trash about people look, I just don't care (there is still a minimum like hygiene but I don't care if you look like brad pitt or if you're ugly in term of friendship... like what's the point ?)

In term of relationship I think the same way as you.

And when I see skindeep good looking people (I'm talking about the "cliché people", not everybody who looks good are skindeep) , most of time they respect me and they don't try to argue with me cause I guess that we are "on the same league"... I respect them back but I ignore them I don't try to be their friends even if they are seen as "cool"... I don't care about them they're doing their things and I'm doing mine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts