Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What music album would you classify as the ultimate ENTP album?

I think 'Skeletal Lamping' by of Montreal should be required listening for all non-ENTPs. I don't know how I would go about enforcing that, though. Probably through some sort of police force.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agree with Brian that citizens should be allowed to raise their own personal police forces to impose whatever they wish on others.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know! I've been saying this for a long time now. The police are civil servants, after all.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Eminem's first three albums. Eminem is an INFP, but the albums are dedicated to ENTPs.
I'm supposing your excluding "Infinite" as being as first album?

I'm gonna just have to go with my favorite album of all time "American Thighs" by Veruca Salt.

The album contains everything I love about music and they don't sing about obvious things like most bands. There's even a song on there about Venetian Blinds for crying out loud but it sounds like it's about depression if you misjudge the lyrics lol. Also contains a catchy song that paints the image of the singer being a murderer but I never took it seriously like most people might. God I love that album :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why is that?
Because ENTPs have already experienced it. Listening to that album is like peering into the ENTP mind.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eh... Radiohead is overrated.

I'd say "Cowboys from Hell" by Pantera
'Overrated' is a silly word, and certainly does not apply to Radiohead. What Thom Yorke and the rest of the band excel at is creating moods and sustaining them. 'OK Computer' is a great example of this, as are 'Kid A' and 'Amnesiac'. Most music listeners do not listen to music to create a mood, so it is lost on them. They're left wondering "Why isn't there a solo in this song?" or "Where are all the catchy riffs?"

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
'Overrated' is a silly word, and certainly does not apply to Radiohead. What Thom Yorke and the rest of the band excel at is creating moods and sustaining them. 'OK Computer' is a great example of this, as are 'Kid A' and 'Amnesiac'. Most music listeners do not listen to music to create a mood, so it is lost on them. They're left wondering "Why isn't there a solo in this song?" or "Where are all the catchy riffs?"
I never said they weren't good. They're very good at what they do, but they're not THAT great as far as I'm concerned. There are plenty of other bands that can do the same.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never said they weren't good.
This is a true statement. Another true statement? I never suggested you did.

They're very good at what they do, but they're not THAT great as far as I'm concerned.
Though I can't claim to understand the subtle difference between "Very good" and "Not that great", I'll assume that you do understand it.

There are plenty of other bands that can do the same.
One could claim (quite rightly) that Pantera is not the only band capable of producing this:

Needless to say, duplicating the Mona Lisa with some sort of "duplication ray" does not diminish the quality of the painting. Quantity is not related to aesthetic quality.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
This is a true statement. Another true statement? I never suggested you did.
You trying to explain to me why they're good which implies that you thought I didn't.

Though I can't claim to understand the subtle difference between "Very good" and "Not that great", I'll assume that you do understand it.
They're a good band, but they're not the greatest band, or a as good a band as many of their fans seem to think. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

One could claim (quite rightly) that Pantera is not the only band capable of producing this:

YouTube - ‪Cowboys From Hell - Pantera‬‎

Needless to say, duplicating the Mona Lisa with some sort of "duplication ray" does not diminish the quality of the painting. Quantity is not related to aesthetic quality.
That's a bad analogy. That would only apply if other bands were making covers of that original piece, and not composing their own music. Thus, since many other bands CAN create a mood, and did so before Radiohead (and now, of course), this does not necessarily make Radiohead exceptional by this trait alone.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You trying to explain to me why they're good which implies that you thought I didn't.
Colloquially, maybe. But I never THOUGHT you thought they were bad. Merely overrated, like you said. Sorry for my own lack of clarity.

They're a good band, but they're not the greatest band, or a as good a band as many of their fans seem to think. Sorry for the lack of clarity.
I'm having a hard time responding to this. It's mostly because "good" and "greatest" are not qualities of the object, but of the observer.

A little bit of a response is that many of the fans seem to be great musicians themselves. Surely they are the closest things to experts?

That's a bad analogy. That would only apply if other bands were making covers of that original piece, and not composing their own music. Thus, since many other bands CAN create a mood, and did so before Radiohead (and now, of course), this does not necessarily make Radiohead exceptional by this trait alone.
Perhaps it is a bad analogy. I don't see the lines you see between the two situations, though. A cover is just a more direct duplication than an original piece is.

I think that if I went further, I'd be defending my interpretation of the album, and not the album itself. I would have had an easier time continuing this discussion BEFORE I'd been exposed to philosophy.

Reactions: Third Engine

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Colloquially, maybe. But I never THOUGHT you thought they were bad. Merely overrated, like you said. Sorry for my own lack of clarity.
You probably didn't, but I thought you did. Doesn't matter either way. :tongue:

I'm having a hard time responding to this. It's mostly because "good" and "greatest" are not qualities of the object, but of the observer.

A little bit of a response is that many of the fans seem to be great musicians themselves. Surely they are the closest things to experts?
I actually agree with you here, and I didn't actually think about this in my first response. It would be difficult to assess a work of art such as "Kid A" or "OK Computer" on its goodness without just giving one's personal view, although there is certainly "good" music, music that is creative, complex, and thoughtful, among other qualities (or sans these qualities), and "bad" music. This is getting into Aesthetics though, I don't think this is the appropriate place to have this discussion.

And again, that may be true, but most it is subjective.

Let me rephrase myself-- I think it is quality music, but I don't like it as many others seem to do.

Perhaps it is a bad analogy. I don't see the lines you see between the two situations, though. A cover is just a more direct duplication than an original piece is.

I think that if I went further, I'd be defending my interpretation of the album, and not the album itself. I would have had an easier time continuing this discussion BEFORE I'd been exposed to philosophy.
The reason I said it's not a good analogy is because it really isn't directly comparable. It's true that duplicating the Mona Lisa would not diminish the quality of the work, but since we're talking about different bands who don't all write the exact same music with the exact same sound, it doesn't quite work. I hope this a better explanation.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Oh, and another ultimate album I would recommend is Colors by Between the Buried and Me (see my avatar). It has the complexity of classical music, the force of heavy metal, chaotic but ordered, and thoughtful lyrics.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I think "Millenium" could be considered one of man's greatest achievements.
What about "Willenium" no one gives Will Smith the credit he deserves for being one of the greatest musicians of our generation...I kid of course.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts