Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
🚀
10,137 Posts
I've seen here and there references to "unhealthy" INFP's; but what does this mean really? Other mental/behavioral health issues like anxiety or depression, narcissism, OCD..?
It doesn't necessarily refer to pathological issues, but can be related of course.

INFP Personal Growtbh said:
Most of the weaker characteristics that are found in INFPs are due to their dominant Feeling function overshadowing the rest of their personality. When the dominant function of Introverted Feeling overshadows everything else, the INFP can't use Extraverted iNtuition to take in information in a truly objective fashion. In such cases, an INFP may show some or all of the following weaknesses in varying degrees:

• May be extremely sensitive to any kind of criticism

• May perceive criticism where none was intended

• May have skewed or unrealistic ideas about reality

• May be unable to acknowledge or hear anything that goes against their personal ideas and opinions

• May blame their problems on other people, seeing themselves as victims who are treated unfairly

• May have great anger, and show this anger with rash outpourings of bad temper

• May be unaware of appropriate social behavior

• May be oblivious to their personal appearance, or to appropriate dress

• May come across as eccentric, or perhaps even generally strange to others, without being aware of it

• May be unable to see or understand anyone else's point of view

• May value their own opinions and feelings far above others

• May be unaware of how their behavior affects others

• May be oblivious to other people's need

• May feel overwhelmed with tension and stress when someone expresses disagreement with the INFP, or disapproval of the INFP

• May develop strong judgments that are difficult to unseed against people who they perceive have been oppressive or suppressive to them

• Under great stress, may obsess about details that are unimportant to the big picture of things

• Under stress, may obsessively brood over a problem repeatedly

• May have unreasonable expectations of others

• May have difficulty maintaining close relationships, due to unreasonable expectations

Explanations of problems and solutions...

There's also the theory on Dominant-Tertiairy Loop in relation to personality (disorder). Mind you, whether it is considered a personality disorder in psychopathological sense depends much on how it affects normal functioning or what is even considered 'normal' or 'abnormal'.
Psychopathology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dom-Tert Loops and personality disorder said:
INFP/ISTJ: Fi/Si or Si/Fi--Avoidant Personality (Disorder).
Often scarred by some intensely negative past experience with opening up too many of their private emotions, this type compulsively avoids social situations and interaction with others. They are fiercely sensitive and may exaggerate or misconstrue perceived negative emotional intent in the words or actions of others. They will sometimes project their negative feelings onto others (Fi), as Si tells them that if I were to behave this way, I would have to be very upset, so anyone who behaves that way must also be. These types often have a chronic problem with trusting the intentions or motivations of others, refusing to share private information with even their closest friends and family. They are so deeply sensitive that they refuse to risk being hurt by attempting deep connections with others--you'll see this a lot in ISTJs with Asperger's. If Ne/Te were doing its job, these types would maintain a heathy grip on the importance of letting go of the past and trying something new in the name of accomplishing a greater goal, but some of these remain total recluses for most (if not all) of their lives.
http://personalitycafe.com/articles/25205-dominant-tertiary-loops-common-personality-disorders.html
Marie-Louis von Franz on the Inferior Function

Inferior Te: Authoritarianism. Tyrannical. Stiff and unyielding. Interest in an immense number of outer facts but can be overwhelmed by too much material. Over efficient or over simplifying for the sake of minimizing deep thought (not wanting to have to work too hard at something conceptual). Intellectual monomania resulting in racing through a lot of material without much thought as to what you're creating. (She speaks of Freud who raced through a ton of material haphazardly and created theories that are not always self-consistent as probably a Fi-dom or Inferior Te-type. His writing lacks the intellectual nuance of say a Thinking type and exists in almost silly platitudes like the oedipal complex. The MBTI is another example of Isabel Myers' Inferior Te, where instead of just testing the functions outright, they are inferred through a constructed paradigm of judging/perceiving, which results in a process that is not always intellectually self-consistent).

http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/100428-how-does-inferior-function-work-each-type.html
And Naomi Quenk on the Inferior Function

Inferior Function by Naomi Quenk said:
Summary
In the grip of inferior Extraverted Thinking, ISFPs and INFPs focus on their own and others’ incompetence, are hypersensitive to signs of dishonesty, and take precipitous action, often aimed at correcting an imagined error. The new awareness that occurs, often in conjunction with the process of regaining their Introverted Feeling equilibrium, tends to engage their auxiliary extraverted Sensing or Intuition. Discovery of facts that explain puzzling reactions occurs for ISFPs; significant insights that stimulate a new point of view are helpful to INFPs. As a result of important inferior function experiences, Introverted Feeling types are able to accept and value their own competitiveness, need for achievement, or desire for power and control—motives that their conscious Introverted Feeling values tend to reject and deny.They are also better able to accept and acknowledge their own competencies, as well as their insecurities and failings. They are thus able to temper their sometimes excessive idealism with more realistic goals.

http://personalitycafe.com/infp-articles/76770-recognizing-inferior-function-ifps.html

Then finally, there is Jung on Introverted Feeling in a neurotic state (and in relation to Inferior Extraverted Thinking).

Jung Psychological Types said:
So long as the ego feels itself housed, as it were, beneath the heights of the unconscious subject, and feeling reveals something higher and mightier than the ego, the type is normal. The unconscious thinking is certainly archaic, yet its reductions may prove extremely helpful in compensating the occasional inclinations to exalt the ego into the subject. But, whenever this does take place by dint of complete suppression of the unconscious reductive thinking-products, the unconscious thinking goes over into opposition and becomes projected into objects. Whereupon the now egocentric subject comes to feel the power and importance of the depreciated object. Consciousness begins to feel 'what others think'. Naturally, others are thinking, all sorts of baseness, scheming evil, and contriving all sorts of plots, secret intrigues, etc. To prevent this, the subject must also begin to carry out preventive intrigues, to suspect and sound others, to make subtle combinations. Assailed by rumours, he must make convulsive efforts to convert, if possible, a threatened inferiority into a superiority. Innumerable secret rivalries develop, and in these embittered struggles not only will no base or evil means be disdained, but even virtues will be misused and tampered with in order to play the trump card. Such a development must lead to exhaustion. The form of neurosis is neurasthenic rather than hysterical; in the case of women we often find severe collateral physical states, as for instance anæmia and its sequelæ.

http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Jung/types.htm

NB. It's possible someone cannot relate at all to any of these descriptions in which case it might be a worthwhile excercise to check (for instance) the ISFJ personal growth page (dom-tert loop and inferior function) and characteristics, or any other for that matter (or else perhaps take a good look in the mirror). When I read the INFP description (healthy that is), I could relate to it, but I felt a lot was missing, or at least it was not the complete story (there's another side of the same coin), which explains a very fluffy idealistic INFP at peace with it's environment, which in my case took quite some time to achieve. So at least a (significant) part of my life relates well to the descriptions (above) of unhealthy behavior.

http://www.personalitypage.com/html/personal.html

·
Registered
298 Posts
Maybe I'll add something not on the outward behavior but the inward feeling of unhealthy INFPs, and I don't know how reputable this information is cause it comes from me... but that rarely stops an INFP! XD

Physically healthy implies that you are eating properly for your growth and also exercising muscles for development, and I think it is the same psychologically.

Healthy psychological food for an INFP is proper encouragement, attention, and understanding - basically, everything that causes your Fi (harmony radar) to feel at ease. A feeling of disharmony (an Fi that is under duress) will eat up an INFP, making their whole life focused on that disharmony. It can manifest itself as escapism, going into their shell, dreaming or reasoning about a better place, etc. An Fi under duress will also make them stressed out - sad, questioning, bitter, and emotionally sensitive and charged. For the INFP, the world is not right if there is no harmony, and their development will revolve around combating the disharmony in their lives. Their behavior may take on preemptive defensive maneuvering to avoid the disharmony they are usually surrounded by, and they might see everything in a world view skewed with the disharmony that they've experienced.

An example is social outcasting which brings in a lot of disharmony - I think a typical INFP response would be to hole up in their shell, see others suspiciously, be very shy and distant, and be very active-passively trying to avoid that disharmony. The disharmony shapes a lot of the INFPs' development and growth into some not-so-healthy directions.

Healthy psychological exercise is to strengthen your strengths and shore up your weaknesses through a breadth of experiences and also practice. This includes developing organization habits, becoming less emotionally sensitive, thinking more systematically and logically, becoming more detail oriented, as well as getting a greater understanding of people, exercising your creativity, and putting effort into creating harmony in the world.

An unhealthy INFP may have grown up in an unhealthy environment or may lack exercise of their psychological muscles to some degree. But this doesn't mean that they are bad people! On the contrary, they are probably unpolished gems or rookies in their break out year! :)

It just takes a little healthy encouragement and some workout sessions and I think they will begin to shine.

·
Banned
573 Posts
This is what I wanted to post earlier today, but I couldn't remember where I had it! It was hiding in a file on Microsoft word! ha.. anyways, I saved this from somewhere on the internet a while ago because at that time, I was positive that I was a very unhealthy INFP, so I saved it just to pin-point my flaws. I was so unhealthy that I usually dress in blue colors to express my mood and character, but the downfall of my personality type caused me to wear nothing but black and white clothing. It makes perfect sense now that I think back to how unhealthy I was and all of the signs I was emitting. Back to what I came here for, this is what I wanted to post earlier haha Neurotically stuck in the Fi-Si loop. They put up walls between themselves and the outside world. Totally withdrawn, won't make social overtures, distrust people who make social overtures to them, thinking either the other person is just "being nice" or that they have an ulterior motive to control or use the INFP (because in their logic why else would someone want to bother with someone as inferior as they?).

Very self effacing, wanting to fade into the background. Wanting love and connection very badly but not feeling secure enough within themselves and/or having enough faith in themselves to risk normal rejection to attain it. Not wanting to "burden" others with their *miserable* company. A neurotic fear of trespassing on others. Magical beliefs, because without being able to use Ne, imagination to put feelers out into the world, they just feel there is no way to navigate such a scary place and things seem aribitrary and unfair in life. Repetitive negative thoughts. No energy to change their own situations or environment, a passive victim to the waves that others make. Unable to give voice to their own righteous anger or to stand up for themselves.
From what I understand they'd be isolated and completely overwhelmed by emotion to the point of not being able to deal with stress of any kind. Perhaps with standards for relationships that are far too high and unreasonable, preventing them from ever having one and becoming the quintessential cat lady.
As stress increases, 'learned behaviour' tends to give way to the natural style, so the INFP will behave more according to type when under greater stress. For example, in a crisis, the INFP might:

* concentrate only on what the INFP sees as important
* work alone if possible
* contribute creative ideas, but overlook current realities
* fail to consider the cost implications
* be overly idealistic
* appear out of touch, perhaps not fully recognising current realities, and disregarding those they find unacceptable
* be stubborn over issues the group did not anticipate being a problem
* spend too much time thinking
* avoid conflict and not giving forthright criticism when it is needed
* focus so much on interpersonal issues that cost and other impersonal considerations are not adequately discussed

Under extreme stress, fatigue or illness, the INFP's shadow may appear - a negative form of ESTJ. Example characteristics are:

* being very critical and find fault with almost everything
* doing things to excess - e.g.: eating, drinking or exercising
* becoming bossy or domineering and ignoring others' feelings
* being pedantic about unimportant details
They'd likely be any of the following: insanely moody, difficult or impossible to reason with, extremely defensive & sensitive, have very poor communication & social skills, self-absorbed, cynical, live in a filthy mess of chaos, be obsessed with minor details they've blown out of proportion, passive-aggressive, have an explosive temper (maybe even violent), a major detachment from reality, seem confused & lost in life, be withdrawn, rebellious, depressed, have an inferiority complex, seem arrogant as a defense, and may isolate themselves from people. There might be substance abuse also.

Besides the crazy cat lady, there's also the self-absorbed, reclusive, miserable artist stereotype for unhealthy INFPs (unlike the ISFP who is romanticized for this, the INFP is outcast). Another stereotype might be the incoherent hippy who lives in a pigsty and gives out philosophical advice to teenagers. Then there's the overly passive INFP who puts up with other people's abuse and seethes internally, but likely they explode and become one of the above stereotypes, or wilt into the crazy cat lady.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think you've just convinced me that I am definitely in the INFP camp. I've been undecided ever since taking an official mbti earlier this year and testing into a personality that really described my mother but not me. Last year, I fell into a huge heap as I had to deal with some fairly significant personal issues and the above fairly well describes my experience very accurately. I've become a little obsessively interested in working out my own type as due to unfortunate events throughout my life from childhood and continuing through most of my adulthood, I think I have suppressed a lot of who I should have been. I've found it easier to start with the negative aspects as these are easiest for me to recognise in myself and hope to work my way through to becoming a healthier version with some more positive traits of type. Might be a long journey, possibly painful, but hopefully worth it in the end.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Judgmental of others because of fear of admitting own weaknesses

Argues against everyone else, and even if the argument makes sense, he/she might realize later that he/she herself does not believe in it

Retreats to own imaginary world that is built of impossible ideals and standards, into which people who do not meet those ideals and standards shall not enter

Resentful as fuck

Low self-esteem, massive fear of rejection

Not open and chill

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting, thank you all for your input, it has been very helpful and more plentiful than I imagined..some of this applies to me but thankfully not a ton. I only have one cat, for example. And, I'm not a lady. Now I need to go chew on this for a bit! :p

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok now I'm pretty sure I'm an unhealthy infp. What bothers me the most is how sometimes I get crazy ideas about people, if someone smiles at me I think they are evil and are laughing at me, if someone is nice to me I start to think they want something and so on.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I kinda look at it in terms of the cognitive functions..

Fi: At its worst, self-centred and narcissistic. Everything the INFP feels becomes melodramatic and all-consuming. No one ever has felt this kind of pain, and no one else will ever understand. Desires pity, sympathy, and the skewered sense of values the Unhealthy INFP has will lead to either a victim or martyr-complex. Maybe both.

Ne: Unrealistic and disconnected, Ne run wild I'd imagine to be living in a fantasy world of pure speculation, with everything being redesigned, guided by the Fi to fit its narrative. Evidence and sensation will be completely rejected in favour of the Unhealthy INFP's "Special Snowflake" view of the world which, of course, other's can't possibly understand, only further feeding into the INFP's ego.

Si: Stuck in the past. Unforgettable and unforgivable wrongs (genuine or otherwise) will keep the Unhealthy INFP bound to their past, consumed by their failings, their heart-break, their inability to forgive and move on. This could often be an old relationship, a betrayal of trust, a time when the INFP failed trying, or failed to try, period. And when all external info is processed through the above unhealthy Ne, all these memories are cast under that self-absorbed narrative.

Te: Critical, aggressive, volatile, impatient, and intolerant. The INFP's Extroverted Judging function, when it arises, will be hasty and thoughtless. Insecure and bound up in their victimised, self-absorbed narrative painted by their other functions, when the INFP does make external judgements, they are over-defensive and cold.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I disagree with a few of these "unhealthy" descriptions, because they weren't seemingly made from an INFP point of view, and are probably referring to extremes, but not being clear enough in that way.

For instance:

• May be unaware of appropriate social behavior

It's important to be aware, yet not necessarily follow so-called "appropriate" social behaviour. As long as you are not hurting others, there's nothing wrong with going your own way and doing things differently, even in public. I may seem "unaware" of certain stuff, yet it's just that I don't care enough to sacrifice myself for the sakes of society's public behavior needs.

• May be oblivious to their personal appearance, or to appropriate dress

I am certainly not oblivious, but frankly don't care that much about dressing "appropriately" unless it's in a job or another specific situation where it would create needless conflict in the environment. Otherwise, wear whatever your creative self wants, really. (Avoiding personal grooming/taking care of oneself CAN be a problem if one is unaware it may be hurting your personal life beyond just wanting to do whatever you want-even then, in some cases perfectly happy INFPs are just being themselves, though it's something I would personally be wary about if I was them.)

• May come across as eccentric, or perhaps even generally strange to others, without being aware of it

This is most certainly NOT a question of healthy/unhealthy INFP, at least not in most cases where people lacking in insight would call others "weird" because they are different and just being themselves. Of course I am rather eccentric and generally "strange" to many but the most open-minded people (those that don't care-because they shouldn't-and give me the right to my own persona). I am not aware all the times it comes across as weird, because I shouldn't care in the first place about society's subjective opinions about my appearance.

This other whole list I mostly disagreed with (was seemingly written from the point of view of a **TJ or similar mix-no offense intended, though.)

* concentrate only on what the INFP sees as important (not to be done 100%, but sometimes we must focus)
* work alone if possible (no unhealthiness at all, unless you are fleeing reality 100% and are afraid to go out-we like to work alone for the most part!!!)
* contribute creative ideas, but overlook current realities (not necessarily unhealthy, because the latter is on the eye of the beholder.)
* fail to consider the cost implications (maybe they are not that good at that, but this can be developed. Those are life-skills one learns, but doesn't necessarily mean people must be unhealthy.)
* be overly idealistic (one can never be "overly idealistic", and being idealistic is not mutually exclusive with taking steps to make those ideals come alive. It's only dangerous when the INFP hates everything in the world and starts wishing reality could be only what he/she sees as ideal in his/her mind-a sort of escapism. But INFPs SHOULD be idealistic, as in many ways it's just part of who they are-learn practical skills, but never lose your idealism (and remember, being practical doesn't mean you are no longer idealistic, and viceversa.)
* appear out of touch, perhaps not fully recognising current realities, and disregarding those they find unacceptable (Some INFPs appear out of touch because they can be rather otherworldly-which is not unhealthy in my eyes-but disregarding other people's realities just because of your own is not the best path to take._
* be stubborn over issues the group did not anticipate being a problem
(Can only see this happening if a group value was violated that they (the majority) weren't aware of. In any case, the INFP will probably just steer away from such group without forcing his/her view if healthy, but won't probably relent.)
* spend too much time thinking (How can this ever be unhealthy... INFPs think a lot, but it doesn't mean they "won't do"-they just are extra careful to do it right (though one must be wary of extreme perfectionism getting in the way.) Dreaming is fine, as well as thinking "all-day"-the INFP ultimately ends up acting on their thoughts/dreams, sooner or later.)
* avoid conflict and not giving forthright criticism when it is needed (This is the only one I'd partially agree, but not all conflict-avoidant INFPs know what they are doing, as they can be on occasion used to running away from conflict. That is, I would consider this not necessarily unhealthy, but rather inexperienced/underdeveloped. They should also learn to speak the truth, as kindly-lying or not stating the facts to avoid conflict is a no-no. I suggest that INFPs should be brave enough to face their fears, including conflict situations. Running away from conflict all of our lives isn't good for us and our personal development-if you need to say no, just say it, if you need to make a stance, just go ahead, if you need to make that stressing phone call, please do so.)
* focus so much on interpersonal issues that cost and other impersonal considerations are not adequately discussed

(Not unhealthy at all, it's just that it's not natural for them and they must learn those skills. For the most part, INFPs will consider interpersonal considerations first and foremost, and there's nothing wrong about that. It would be equally unhealthy if impersonal considerations and "cost" were always at the fore, at the cost of how others feel. "Balance, in all things." Thinkers can learn to be considerate of others feelings, and feelers can also learn these "impersonal considerations.")

In short, I believe that only EXTREME situations of the points above in which an INFP may be negatively impacting his/her life or that of others may actually be "unhealthy INFP" symptoms. If you are eccentric, are a little late, spend a lot of time "in the clouds", care more about feelings than money, etc., I wouldn't classify you as necessarily unhealthy.

It's a never-ending journey of personal development after all, and we can all achieve some more growth.

Total bitterness, extreme escapism, total misanthropy, total mistrust of others, taking every single comment personally, never facing your fears, being intolerant of the values of others, crippling shyness and/or extreme social anxiety, utter self-hate, "life is not meaningful anymore for me", "everything is ugly", "everybody is selfish", etc. I have seen these things, and they are unhealthy, but not something that can't be conquered to be sure.

And finally:

unhealthy infp is a redundant term if you ask me...
NOT true at all, as there are many wonderful healthy INFPs in the world. Being INFP is hardly the equivalent of living in misery, UNLESS YOU LET YOURSELF into that pit. And even in such case, YOU CAN INDEED GET OUT and be a perfectly content human being. Happiness is not doing things the way others do (fitting in with society so to speak), but finding peace within yourself. Once you love and embrace yourself and your life journey, there's no reason why you should be unhappy/"unhealthy" forever as an INFP.

(Same with "unhappy 4s"... every single human being can be happy-even those who like and enjoy sad things.)

·
Registered
521 Posts
If it helps, while going through my incredibly troubled teenage HS years, I adopted the emo style specifically for all the attention I received that I wasn't getting from my mother or step-father--narcissism definitely seems to fit into the unhealthy INFP. I always felt wronged and actually expected people to completely sympathize with me; I was then able to manipulate people into feeling sorry for me, as though I was always the victim in every scenario--I could do no wrong, and my every trial was the fault of someone else. I could not, for the life of me, accuse myself of being the problem, but I suppose this evolved from the fact that my mother and her BF always accused me of being their problem, so I became defensive over it.

So it seems the "unhealthy" INFP represents the emo kid :p Self-loathing narcissist whose life is just a black spiral of hate and depression. And flippy hair. Edgar Allan Poe seems like the perfect match for this darker side of INFP.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
It doesn't necessarily refer to pathological issues, but can be related of course.
The one unhealthy INFP I knew actually experienced 7 of the 'weaknesses' noted, possessing no clear sense of self, often feeling external validation was necessary to her sense of self with questionable loyalties unless her needs were considered before others (your description did sound quite close to Avoidant Personality Disorder as the extreme perhaps).

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I kinda look at it in terms of the cognitive functions..

Fi: At its worst, self-centred and narcissistic. Everything the INFP feels becomes melodramatic and all-consuming. No one ever has felt this kind of pain, and no one else will ever understand. Desires pity, sympathy, and the skewered sense of values the Unhealthy INFP has will lead to either a victim or martyr-complex. Maybe both.

Ne: Unrealistic and disconnected, Ne run wild I'd imagine to be living in a fantasy world of pure speculation, with everything being redesigned, guided by the Fi to fit its narrative. Evidence and sensation will be completely rejected in favour of the Unhealthy INFP's "Special Snowflake" view of the world which, of course, other's can't possibly understand, only further feeding into the INFP's ego.

Si: Stuck in the past. Unforgettable and unforgivable wrongs (genuine or otherwise) will keep the Unhealthy INFP bound to their past, consumed by their failings, their heart-break, their inability to forgive and move on. This could often be an old relationship, a betrayal of trust, a time when the INFP failed trying, or failed to try, period. And when all external info is processed through the above unhealthy Ne, all these memories are cast under that self-absorbed narrative.

Te: Critical, aggressive, volatile, impatient, and intolerant. The INFP's Extroverted Judging function, when it arises, will be hasty and thoughtless. Insecure and bound up in their victimised, self-absorbed narrative painted by their other functions, when the INFP does make external judgements, they are over-defensive and cold.
Such an interesting analysis, sounding very much like negative self awareness and a desire to be accepted without accepting themselves or others often seen as projected reflections of what is 'bad' in themselves i.e. if someone seems be more confident it can become 'a personal insult' to such a person.

·
Registered
🚀
10,137 Posts
The one unhealthy INFP I knew actually experienced 7 of the 'weaknesses' noted, possessing no clear sense of self, often feeling external validation was necessary to her sense of self with questionable loyalties unless her needs were considered before others (your description did sound quite close to Avoidant Personality Disorder as the extreme perhaps).
It's not unusual at all when people grow up to be highly self-focused and lack self-awareness. It would play out differently, depending on the type's functional preference and habitual attitude (i/e).

For instance, at I believe 4 years of age it is expected to have developed a Theory of Mind, that is the cognitive ability to not only have an 'ego' sense, and attribute mental states 'I want this' or 'I see this' or 'I feel this' to it, but also understand that other people have their own ego sense and mental states that are not only different and also separate from our own, and the ability to recreate these in our minds and differentiate them as their own, rather than me (true, friend, etc.) versus 'un-me' (untrue, enemy). Theory of Mind is strongly related to autism.

This is not something you either (always) have or haven't and in general most children until age 14-15 are fairly egocentric (which is not the same as selfish). We may also develop self-consciousness. Private self-consciousness is the sense of introspection and focus on our thoughts and feelings and public self-consciousness is the sense of focus on how we are perceived by others. These two are not necessarily equal or interrelated. This is still different from self-awareness, which is the ability to differentiate our own individuality within a differentiated social context (and awareness) of others (with different thoughts, feelings, perceptions, desires), and seeing 'the big picture' so to speak, how they inter-relate or inter-act.

So for instance someone may view oneself as a nice person, and sort of expect the other person also sees and acknowledges this, without having any consideration for the different perspective, thoughts, feelings another person may have, other than being 'un-me', which may be invalidated as wrong, or misperception (assuming you only need to intend right to do right), and may be perceived as hostile and a threat of being undermining or invalidating, resulting in a defensive attitude, or even aggressive, and strategically attempting to invalidate or downplay anything that is perceived as hostile.

For INFP this may be strongly related to Fi and strong identification (self-concept, self-esteem, pride) with ones personal values or introverted validation of right and wrong. This is why Ne is so important for developing self-awarenes, and awareness and understanding of other peoples views, thoughts, different from our own, and by being perceptive of patterns and cues, and for instance notice a change in a person's behavior and reflect on possible reasons for this change in behavior, by seeing it from the perspective of the other person (his particular values, beliefs, motivations etc in other words using creative imagination to place oneself in the other person's position).

When people predominantely lean on Si perception, they can only understand in terms of what they would do themselves, or by perceiving it based on analogies in the past of what others did (and how it affected one personally) -and with availability heuristic biased to a negative mood dispostition or negative predisposition (although, Si could also operate similarly, but with a positive predisposition/ mindset), and not using the creative imagination of Ne for opening one's mind to other alternatives and new possibilities and experience.

So therefore INFPs in a Fi-Si loop can get stuck in experiential avoidant behavior, which over time only reinforces social anxiety, distrust, negative self-esteem and self-efficacy, and hostility towards anything 'un-me' and becoming more and more engrained in ones (avoidant) personality.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Ok now I'm pretty sure I'm an unhealthy infp. What bothers me the most is how sometimes I get crazy ideas about people, if someone smiles at me I think they are evil and are laughing at me, if someone is nice to me I start to think they want something and so on.
Probably because people do that often. Gossip and laugh at you. Their eyes shining with mockery and schadenfreude.

They are so deeply sensitive that they refuse to risk being hurt by attempting deep connections with others
Oh, here I am. But I fail to understand why are we unhealthy for not forgiving the bastards, but bastards are okay to harm us, betray us and then get away with it. All this obviously can only reach conclusion that we are trash to be kicked by others and worthless.

It was sb's responsibility and since the bastards don't get punished subconsciousness screams it must be us that are worthless scum, all resulting in self-hatred. We are to be blamed (as unhealthy and what not). F*ck this sh*t.

Also to be honest, not just in my experience Si but observing other people, they hurt each other more often than not and unnecessarily. Maliciousness. I know I'm not a special snowflake, but if you want to feel like you're less than nothing, there's a bunch of people who'll out of their own volition by default help you do so.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
So therefore INFPs in a Fi-Si loop can get stuck in experiential avoidant behavior, which over time only reinforces social anxiety, distrust, negative self-esteem and self-efficacy, and hostility towards anything 'un-me' and becoming more and more engrained in ones (avoidant) personality.
Thank you for taking the time to unravel how you perceive developmental psychologies, as always I enjoy your depth and breadth of discussions shown in your ability to conceptualise much (I am very prone to seeing hidden fundamentals as well, storing them away as empathic awareness of human motivators).

Something I have often noticed is how many in experiential cycles will often to their detriment do whatever it takes to maintain destructive patterns or models of thinking, seeing such personal adjustment disintegrations as akin to the 5 stages of bereavement no matter what support or advice is provided.

·
Registered
🚀
10,137 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to unravel how you perceive developmental psychologies, as always I enjoy your depth and breadth of discussions shown in your ability to conceptualise much (I am very prone to seeing hidden fundamentals as well, storing them away as empathic awareness of human motivators).

Something I have often noticed is how many in experiential cycles will often to their detriment do whatever it takes to maintain destructive patterns or models of thinking, seeing such personal adjustment disintegrations as akin to the 5 stages of bereavement no matter what support or advice is provided.
Thanks, I appreciate that.

Well Fear Conditioning and Learned Helplessness are two possible explanations.

With fear conditioning imagine the following situation. Suppose you would condition a dog that he relates a certain red light going on, before sensing an unpleasant electrical current on the metal plate the dog stands on. He will then soon associate the light with the unpleasant experience, and as soon as he sees the light go on, jump off the plate (experiential avoidance). Even when there is no longer current on the plate (reality has changed, it only looks similar), the dog doesn't want to go back on it as long as he sees the light is on. He will in fact believe you are crazy telling him so, or try to hurt him forcing him to. If you have him on a leash, he may try to resist or go berserk, and should you have managed to get him on the plate anyway feeling nothing, he might still be hyper aroused, expecting it to happen again any time. It's a simplistic example, but it explains how difficult it is to unlearn fear conditioning.

Life is a fear conditioning process on a large scale, and many times more complex than the example given. Recently it is proven at Harvard that meditation can 'reprogram' the amygdala, the part of the brain that is involved with fear conditioning. I know that already for a long time, lol, since I managed to reprogram mine, practicing Vipanassa meditation, liberating myself from irrational, unconscious and involuntary gut-responses.

Learned Helplessness is somewhat similar, but almost paradoxical, but it explains why people may stick to an unhealthy circumstance or mindset, even when there is an opportunity to escape it.

Learned Helplessness said:
Learned helplessness is the condition of a human or animal that has learned to behave helplessly, failing to respond even though there are opportunities for it to help itself by avoiding unpleasant circumstances or by gaining positive rewards.
Learned helplessness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.