Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to post this thread here instead of General Chat. Purpose is to brainstorm potentially all the possibilities before going public; good or bad.

Most parents are utterly clueless when it comes to raising a child / child upbringing. And since there's no official manuals, most of these clueless parents do what they do best and go with the flow on the fly.

It use to be that parents may not know better and mistakenly drop their child in the tub and bruise them. Nowadays, the presence of a bruise may cost such parents turmoil when social services appear knocking on their door for child negligence and the likes.

Let's not confuse this with how INTP's should raise their child. This is generalized 'common-sense' information to help the belligerent teens and forthcoming mommies-to-be and daddies-to-be.

It's all nice and dandy to have parents watch the newborns while working, or even perhaps daycare or a babysitter, however, not everyone has that luxury or capability. I.E. parents may be dead, living out of state, cannot afford daycare or babysitter, etc.

As NP's, we observe a shitton of crap that goes on that is wrong with the world. Henceforth, we recognize and can distinguish common-sense and stupidity vs. those who believe otherwise.

With this said, let's create a manual. What to do's and What not to do's... Good idea? Bad idea? Regardless, let's see where we can go with this....

.... Annnnnnnnnnd Go.

·
Registered
525 Posts
you want something like :
" If you haven't thought about all the consequences and repercussions , don't even think about bringing another person on the world" ?

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
Jesus, I barely have enough common sense to take care of myself properly, uh lets see... hmmm... do not leave an older jealous sibling around the child when they are unsupervised. When I was 4 and my sister was a few months old, my mother left us in the same room as she showered, she came back to a crying baby with teeth marks around her arm and me going "I didn't bite her" before she even asked... I guess my logic and reason has developed much since then...

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. with this thread, bring anything you spot potentially wrong and offer a resolution if you can.

I've witnessed co-workers breaking down in tears not knowing what to do because their child was getting a fever and fed them 1/4 a teaspoon of ADULT tylenol... not children's tylenol, thinking a smaller dose would have some delineated difference. Instead, it made their child get worse.

Fevers are natural. I am a strong believer that the human body can ward off a shitton of illnesses without the need of modern medication.

Now if the issue was for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, painkillers for cancer, that's different... but a common fever with the kid being 100 degrees (F) as opposed to 98.6 degrees (F). Whoop-dee-doo... the 2 degrees is proof that the body is running on overtime circulating blood to cycle and filter out foreign particles... but the typical parents may overreact to this.... especially the mom's and single dad's. Now if the fever was 105 - 110 degrees (F), THEN there's reason to panic.

In addition, the parents who strongly believe over the counter meds to speed up the recovery process is what's wrong with the current world. They're using their kids as guinea pigs and feeding money for pharmaceutical companies toward the belief that the medication would quickly speed up the recovery process; which it does. But the parents are totally oblivious to the potential damaging side effects in the long run. Is it worth the trade off? This is their kids they're talking about.

Which brings forth lawsuits and blah blah, but that's beyond the scope of this topic. Purpose is for the manual to educate the parent to make the best educated choice(s) they present themselves with and go from there.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Don't instantly rule out anything your child says just because they are younger than you.

Don't use the "Because I said so." reason. It gives us more incentive to disobey since you are giving us no valid reason.

Don't try to force your child into being an extrovert.

If they need help with school, then help them. But you need to remember to help them, not do it for them while they watch.

Find something they enjoy participating in (sports, music, whatever), and encourage them to do this. Let them try doing new activities, but don't force them into it because you think they will enjoy it.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
I've thought a lot about this, and from conversations with those who have children, they have unanimously agreed that how they raised their abstract, un-born, future child had very little to do with how they actually raised their child. Turns out, these funny "emotion" things come into play along with some super-intense archetypal parental energies. I guess what I'm saying is that if you don't have an actual kid, how you think you would raise an abstract child doesn't carry much weight.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
Don't put your baby in the dishwasher.
Of course. I mean, the washing machine is a more suitable size and allows your child some room to maneuver -- as well as being a locale that does not contain sharp knives.

Reactions: 37119

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I want to point out that public laundromats, they have a serious flaw. The commercial class washer and dryer machines, as soon as the door is closed, it cannot be opened again until the cycle is started and finishes.

Therefore, if a person or child becomes trapped, better get the fire department on the line with the jaws of life. Otherwise, kiss another human life goodbye.

I do believe this was brought to some company's attention, but like all safety concerns, it's a very slow process to climb up to get approval, acknowledgement, and recognition that the issue is indeed a serious issue. This is mostly because quite a lot of other issues are pretty stupid and masks/covers the severity of the issues that are truly urgent.

This is sad, but it is also true..... at a level beyond belief.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I want to point out that public laundromats, they have a serious flaw. The commercial class washer and dryer machines, as soon as the door is closed, it cannot be opened again until the cycle is started and finishes.

Therefore, if a person or child becomes trapped, better get the fire department on the line with the jaws of life. Otherwise, kiss another human life goodbye.

I do believe this was brought to some company's attention, but like all safety concerns, it's a very slow process to climb up to get approval, acknowledgement, and recognition that the issue is indeed a serious issue. This is mostly because quite a lot of other issues are pretty stupid and masks/covers the severity of the issues that are truly urgent.

This is sad, but it is also true..... at a level beyond belief.
I know this is off topic but dont they have windows of some kind? Cant they be broken?

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know this is off topic but dont they have windows of some kind? Cant they be broken?
reinforced glass.. usually 2-3 ply layers at 1/16th or 1/8th inch thick... don't quote me on that... just a guesstimate from what I can remember. Most commercial grade machines are made to be rugged and not easily broken or require lots of maintenance.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Don't take every mistake they make personally.

You can probably assume that they weren't thinking "Let's drink all these beers because I hate my mom." or "I have no respect for my dad, so I'm going to steal these M&Ms."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts