Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been active in the MBTI community for several months now, having spent upwards of 9 months learning about cognitive functions, the types and differing type theories.

Online I've seen a large bias against sensors, which is understandable because some online resources describe sensors as having purely physical with minds that only think about the past or present. Obviously sensors are much more than that, although underdeveloped ones may seem to match this initial description. I was wondering if any sensors could inform me on what they think are their 'sensing' traits, and why it can be an advantage to be a sensor.

One other strange bias I've seen, which is a bit more subtle, is one against extroverts. It's not huge, but some introverts seem to have difficulty dealing with extroverts and imply that they are less intelligent, not deep in their thinking, and that they don't think much before acting. If you're an introvert feel free to articulate why you feel this way or how you feel about extroverts, and if you're an extrovert let me know if you've noticed this too and if it's effected you.

The final bias i've noticed are against a few specific types: ISTJ, ESTJ, ENTJ, ISFJ and ESFP. If anyone knows why, please discuss that as well, especially the ENTJ one because it makes the least sense to me. ENTJs seem to be disliked by a relatively large group of the N types, and although I have a vague understanding of why I'd like to broaden it. Also I've noticed that these five sensors listed seem to be the least liked, and I'm wondering about that as well.

In an effort to increase valid scientific musings on this thread rather than emotional outbursts I'm going to preemptively apologize for anything I might have said that could be interpreted as offensive.

·
Registered
195 Posts
dunno, ESFP is part of gamma quadra.
Anyone in the gamma quadra is a sacrificial warrior for good. I applaud them.

Against ENTJ? I had no idea. ENTJ is the best, if not INTJ in accordance with morality.

SJs always laugh at the little things, poor INTPs (and others) get laughed over petty mundane bullshit. I don't think NT types want to be reminded they live in a jungle and even less that the jungle hates them like if he was a witch on a stake for speaking in contradiction to the ''(insert bs of the century)''.

Even the ISTJ who has learned to greatly admire me (maybe he got some Ne, Fi) has systematicly laughed at my differences from the begining while they showed no objective disadvantage.

TLDR: SJs make you feel discrimination (oh, because it truly is what they have in mind!) on your differences. It's racism. Plus when they do this shit, they remind me of all the demography who supports bs totalitarianism. ex: Nazi soldiers who think they have no responsibility for their actions because they ''gave it over'' to the government. Hitler is 1 person, the millions who made it possible is millions. I mean nothing against Hitler. and all the macro-psychological attributes that make populations act like cattle.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If they weren't so predominant, maybe they would see past their dominant functions.
Now I almost verified with unanimity, there are retards in all MBTI types so much that type is irrelevant. Truly.

·
Registered
195 Posts
ESTJ probably has something to do with meeting the following:
- unstoppable mad bulldozering ( I tried all cooperative means for 20 minutes (including 10 minutes of saying nothing and just listening her madness)) then I heard from some INFJ that you better avoid them when they get mad otherwise ur stuck wasting time in front of an impossible situation.
- Narcissistic (and maybe even psycho) with power, ruining an organization you would otherwise liked.
- Being inefficient with differences even though they have the wisdom to realize it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
ISFJ: I guess:
-Annoying mundane facts.
-Social comedy (absurd theater)
-Hyper-critical or harassing Fe or Si. Cultural ''''morality'''' paired with the previous.

that's what I saw may be the reasons, so that's all I have.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Online I've seen a large bias against sensors, which is understandable because some online resources describe sensors as having purely physical with minds that only think about the past or present. Obviously sensors are much more than that, although underdeveloped ones may seem to match this initial description. I was wondering if any sensors could inform me on what they think are their 'sensing' traits, and why it can be an advantage to be a sensor.

One other strange bias I've seen, which is a bit more subtle, is one against extroverts. It's not huge, but some introverts seem to have difficulty dealing with extroverts and imply that they are less intelligent, not deep in their thinking, and that they don't think much before acting. If you're an introvert feel free to articulate why you feel this way or how you feel about extroverts, and if you're an extrovert let me know if you've noticed this too and if it's effected you.

The final bias i've noticed are against a few specific types: ISTJ, ESTJ, ENTJ, ISFJ and ESFP. If anyone knows why, please discuss that as well, especially the ENTJ one because it makes the least sense to me. ENTJs seem to be disliked by a relatively large group of the N types, and although I have a vague understanding of why I'd like to broaden it. Also I've noticed that these five sensors listed seem to be the least liked, and I'm wondering about that as well.

In an effort to increase valid scientific musings on this thread rather than emotional outbursts I'm going to preemptively apologize for anything I might have said that could be interpreted as offensive.
It's widely accepted that the internet forums are overwhelmingly populated by introverts, and the number of intuitives is much higher than in the majority of the world's population. Though I can't speak to how true that is, the (very limited) available data seems to support it.

INxx who feel cut off from the world around them can tend to group extraverts and sensors into a large category of "people I don't like", partly because they want those they hate to be different from them, and partly because those people have traits they tend to clash with. The world tends to run on Si- schedules, calendars, time frames, deadlines, etc.- which can be really frustrating if you're growing up with a dominant or secondary intuitive function and don't connect as easily to others.

I'm an extravert and I often find other extraverts really annoying. Some of them just can't shut up, though this can definitely be true for some introverts. For perspective- most of my friends are INTs. Of my close friends, the ones who talk the most are ENTJ (not me) and ISTJ.

People hate STJs because they're not flexible and can try to control other types. People hate ENTJs because we're dictators, talk a ton, can be dicks, often disregard others' emotions, and can be absolute freight trains. I've seen less ISFJ hate and more ESFJ hate, though that's probably because I hang out in the INTP forum a lot. People think ESFPs are shallow because they type shallow cartoon characters as ESFPs and attach caricatures of that character to the people they don't like.

TLDR: People mistype people they don't like as types that are different from them. ES tends to far less represented on the forum than IN.

That last line made me chuckle.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I've been active in the MBTI community for several months now, having spent upwards of 9 months learning about cognitive functions, the types and differing type theories.

Well, the terms 'introvert' and 'extrovert' are poorly understood/defined by many in the community. Many of the less useful definitions designed to be popular so that the authors can sell books (Susan Cain, I'd guess) make out introverts to be the 'deeper' people among us who just need more time to think. My own opinion is that this is marketed less to introverts and more to people susceptible to the snob appeal fallacy.

The bias against sensors is partly just the community bonding 'trash talk' of the majority of intuitives or professed intuitives online. Plus yes, Keirsey makes them out to be no good.

ENTJs are always portrayed as villains in movies. They tend to be pretty utilitarian, and if people skills are not up to par they can leave a lot of people feeling inadequate or looked down on. Also, they are freed from some of the constraints that hold back other N types due to dominant Te rising above the nerd factor and achieving what it needs to.

I don't think that many people know how to type STJs correctly. Real life STJs are fairly rare in my experience, almost as rare as NTJs. The majority of people seem to be SFP, SFJ, and STP.

ISFJs are usually found as mothers, keeping records in doctor's offices, doing clerical work and being secretaries. I don't see what there is to dislike; they're very normal people with normal desires and are normally successful to a normal degree :)

ESFP men are often very good with women for no obvious reason. I guess jealousy could be a factor.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
A lot of people on this forum or on other forums think I'm this outspoken, "rude", and "aggressive" IRL. I'm not. So it's funny to me when I skype with people and they're surprised by my laidback personality. Still doesn't mean I'm not outspoken though. I'm just more diplomatic about it IRL cause of self-preservation & shit.

If I've learned anything. Online biases can be just as harmful as ones face-to-face.

·
Registered
300 Posts
That's an interesting point @bionic

I think perhaps its a circular reference/problem. Ie. stereotypes of said "bad" "negative" MBTI types, automatically haze in when readers are reading comments that said "bad/negative" types write, so they see things written through those hazy eyes and continue to do so. Its very hard to convey emotion/attitude/feeling through text without using numerous adjectives...
People see ENTJ/ESTJ/whatever bad types you want and automatically zone into "whatever they write is probably unemotional and aggressive"... even when its not. I could be crying out with wide eyes and soft smile, but the reader can't see that in text LOL Not that I am doing that, but as an example LOL.

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts

I think perhaps its a circular reference/problem. Ie. stereotypes of said "bad" "negative" MBTI types, automatically haze in when readers are reading comments that said "bad/negative" types write, so they see things written through those hazy eyes and continue to do so. Its very hard to convey emotion/attitude/feeling through text without using numerous adjectives...
People see ENTJ/ESTJ/whatever bad types you want and automatically zone into "whatever they write is probably unemotional and aggressive"... even when its not. I could be crying out with wide eyes and soft smile, but the reader can't see that in text LOL Not that I am doing that, but as an example LOL.
Two things:

1. I've Skyped with @bionic . Totally laidback. Easy going. Comes off completely different in print sometimes.

still wouldn't mess with her, though :wink:

2. I agree with you @Sophia1 . I think that we have a way of speaking that is blunt and matter-of-fact. In print it comes off as aggressive. In real life, though, it more often than not comes off as funny. More like a stand up comic pointing out the futility or ridiculousness of something.

In print, I think that sometimes I come off as more gruff or serious than I am. In real life, I talk really fast and sound like a Valley Girl. (Have that in your head the next time I post something snarky). :wink:

I think the most common thing I hear from people whom I've met here online that have talked with me personally, either on the phone or on Skype, is that I seem a lot "more animated", nicer" and "funnier" in person.

as with @bionic , I wouldn't mess with me, either, though :tongue:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Two things:
I think the most common thing I hear from people whom I've met here online that have talked with me personally, either on the phone or on Skype, is that I seem a lot "more animated", nicer" and "funnier" in person.
[/spoiler]
Thisss!!!
People fail to realize we're extroverts!!! This is totallyyy missed by others because of text writing. I am an extremely expressive and animated person and the other ENTJs I know in real life are totally animated also. The animation is what makes our words humorous, we can be very likeable and very charismatic, people fail to realize this is just part of our animation, but the animation carries through All our words. Its something I can't turn off - at least well - unfortunately.

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
Thisss!!!
People fail to realize we're extroverts!!! This is totallyyy missed by others because of text writing. I am an extremely expressive and animated person and the other ENTJs I know in real life are totally animated also. The animation is what makes our words humorous, we can be very likeable and very charismatic, people fail to realize this is just part of our animation, but the animation carries through All our words. Its something I can't turn off - at least well - unfortunately.
Ya. People don't put enough focus on understanding that as natural leaders, we have a skill set that enables us to personably interact with people, get their input, bounce ideas around, and be able to get them to follow our lead once we have formulated a plan. Sure, we can juggle abstract thoughts and form strategies in our minds but the origninal input has to come from somewhere and as extraverts we take that information in by talking to others.

Super easy to pull that off if you lack the ability to talk to people. :dry: (said sarcastically, flourished with a WTF? facial expression). :wink:

I think sometimes people just imagine us as dour and unpersonable because they read that we are Fi-inferior and they assume that means that we are unable to chat amiably with others. While our decision making process may be impersonal, and we may tend to not have a lot of patience with bullshit or fucknuttery, it doesn't mean that we are automatons incapable of genuine human interaction.

·
Registered
300 Posts
While our decision making process may be impersonal, and we may tend to not have a lot of patience with bullshit or fucknuttery, it doesn't mean that we are automatons incapable of human interaction.
bang on. Impersonal Thinking Te approach to decisions - amiable approach to human interaction. Plus we absorb energies from the room, the more pleasant the crowd the more pleasant and amiable we become.

Although - I can see how an immature under developed Fi could make the Te decision making and human interaction very unpleasant.

likewise... an overdeveloped Fi ... can make us extremely charming... and if we know how to use it... extremely manipulative...

·
Registered
4,385 Posts

Oh yeah. SO much gets lost through translation and I think that is how I get into a lot of arguments on the forum. People mistake my sarcasm for seriousness. They don't "get" my humor. And it ends up in me saying "Hey yo, I was being sarcastic" and then people end up butthurt n' stuff cause they take it personally or misrepresent it in some way. When I'm sure if I said it to them, in a chill out tone, face-to-face, they wouldn't get as upset.

It would be cool if there was an option to video yourself while making posts. Perhaps people would think more before they post (myself included lol). Yeah, totally... people into MBTI stereotype ENTJs & ESTJs as emotion-less but it's ironic to me because I find a lot of ExTJs I know can be pretty emotional.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Oh yeah. SO much gets lost through translation and I think that is how I get into a lot of arguments on the forum. People mistake my sarcasm for seriousness. They don't "get" my humor. And it ends up in me saying "Hey yo, I was being sarcastic" and then people end up butthurt n' stuff cause they take it personally or misrepresent it in some way. When I'm sure if I said it to them, in a chill out tone, face-to-face, they wouldn't get as upset.

It would be cool if there was an option to video yourself while making posts. Perhaps people would think more before they post (myself included lol). Yeah, totally... people into MBTI stereotype ENTJs & ESTJs as emotion-less but it's ironic to me because I find a lot of ExTJs I know can be pretty emotional.
The most emotional people I know are all ISTJs. I don't know why this is, because I'd have suspected the INFPs or INFJs would be the most sensitive. But ISTJs pick up on details and get really hurt when they don't feel respected or valued. And IRL, ENTJs are a lot like puppies, as dehumanizing as that comparison might be. We really like people and we'll start a conversation with a smile and good will. We can also get really hurt when we put ourselves out and get shut down.

I've found an interesting contradiction on the forums, actually- it's also one I've found applies in my own life. People think ENTJs are both completely emotionless and have anger problems. When I was younger, I had to work really hard on not coming off as angry during a simple discussion, and on adding in extra "I'm nice" body language, vocal tone, etc. so that people could tell I was joking. My sense of humor tends to be really deadpan, and I'll still revert to this when I'm too tired to emote.

Sometimes I'll compensate for my sarcasm with gratuitous overuse of emoticons, especially if I'm texting/messaging someone I normally communicate with face-to-face. It helps that I'm less likely to be sarcastic with people I don't know very well. But yeah, I definitely prefer face-to-face communication, if only because then I can read the other person's body language and know how well I'm being received.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just looking at the number of posts in each sub-forum its easy to see a representation problem:

Extroverted vs Introverted is around 24,000 to 62,500 posts
Sensor vs Intuitive is around 15,200 to 71,300

The specific bias' probably come from negative life experiences/negative stereotypes from various website description of the types; ISTJ's are all mindless drones, ESTJ's are all uptight and bossy, ect. Most of these are perpetuated by people who are new to mbti or peole who have some kind of bone to pick, it's rare to see anyone who has been around a while make these assumptions. I've noticed a bit of a "Woe is me I'm an introvert in a society that values extroversion" trend on the internet as well so that's probably a contributor to the anti extravert bias.

You might want to post this in a more general sub-forum if you want opinions from the other types you mentioned, hell even the NT sub-forum will get more exposure.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Agreed, the internet is populated by mostly INxx. I'll give up an example - look at tumblr, probably the biggest blogging site in the world. It is largely INxx teenage girls, who completely villainize anyone who isn't an INxx because of 'special snowflake syndrome' - very much like, "We are different and deeper than anyone else, we are special and wonderful and everyone else is trash!". Extroverted Sensors are particularly demonized. xSTJs are viewed as robots, ISFJs as pushovers, ENTJs as asshole villains, and ESFPs as obnoxious drunk cheerleaders. It's very high school like, to be quite honest.

In real life, however, these stereotypes aren't as apparent. The world practically runs on STJs, after all :laughing:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, the statistic evidence on this site is wildly different from the real world. Introverts and Intuitives roam these woods.

Aside from that I think it's because people have a very box-like mentality. Always wanting to have like-minded people inside the box, and fiendish alien people outside it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts