Personality Cafe banner

The vast majority of people in the military are ST's: Agree or Disagree?

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  SarahWilliams 
#1 ·
Well, from what I have encountered the vast majority of the people in the military are ST's. Would you folks agree with this?

#2 ·
I think ISTJ might be one of the most common types in the military, I know first hand it is very SJ oriented though(that's why I got the hell out:tongue:).

#3 ·
It would make sense. I definitely think that the things the military mindset promotes are things that an ST would have an easier time dealing with than some types. It would be especially hard on someone like me, perhaps because of my being an NF.

I'm completely against everything the military stands for. Even the little things, like wearing uniforms to do away with individuality, using verbal abuse to do away with sensitivity, using rigid rules to do away with freedom, and it sickens me to think that it is all so people will be okay with acting as a hive-minded, unfeeling, murderous swarm, in order to defend not freedom or liberty or whatever other pretty-sounding word they are in love with, but violence, and the idea that those who have the most physical power should always win, no matter who is right.

Please don't think I am anti ST just because I am anti-war. I acknowledge that most ST types probably aren't warmongers. There are plenty of good ST types, like my dad, and they are too busy taking care of their own families to murder anyone else's.

#4 ·
Certainly. Both my brother and father (an ESTP and ISTP) applied to join the army, though both failed their physicals. I do believe that xSTPs might get annoyed with the conformity required in the armed forces.

Out of the two kids in my graduating year who joined the army, one was an ESFJ and the other an ENFJ.

Please don't think I am anti ST just because I am anti-war. I acknowledge that most ST types probably aren't warmongers. There are plenty of good ST types, like my dad, and they are too busy taking care of their own families to murder anyone else's.
Not to be picky, but F types can certainly get angry at the enemy.

#9 ·
Certainly. Both my brother and father (an ESTP and ISTP) applied to join the army, though both failed their physicals. I do believe that xSTPs might get annoyed with the conformity required in the armed forces.

Out of the two kids in my graduating year who joined the army, one was an ESFJ and the other an ENFJ.

Not to be picky, but F types can certainly get angry at the enemy.
Fe doesn't do so bad in the military, Fi does really shitty in the military. I dare you to show me one ISFP, INFP, or ENFP that has enjoyed the military. Coincidently though, I have met some ESFP's that liked the military.

Reactions: Linnifae
#5 ·
My brother is in the marines and is probably an xSTJ. He was always a softy but I can't see him being a dom F.

One of the best things he has ever said to me is that I would never make it in the military, I'm too opinionated. :crazy:

#6 ·
My dad is an ESTJ, and he was in the Air Force. However, he didn't do well, because he excels at giving orders, but sucks at taking them. I know he didn't enjoy it , at all, because he actually chased off the recruiters, when I started reaching graduation age, and when they would send me stuff in the mail, he would toss it out. He served during the Korean war, but he was just a cook. He's never really said why he hates the military so much.

#11 ·
Being told what to do and think is not my idea of a good career! Hopefully he moves up the ranks quickly and becomes the guy telling other people what to do.

#8 ·
My dad is air force and an ISTJ. I would agree many in the military would be SJ as they are comfortable in a rank system. I don't like people telling me what to do (unless I respect them or it is done correctly) so I never joined the military.

Reactions: SarahWilliams
#13 ·
I know a guy who is an artist who went into the air force due to money struggles. But he only lasted a few months. He couldn't deal with the rules... and he refused to kill anyone. But he had wonderful reflexes and do physically do everything they asked.

This guy is some sort of SP, who uses Fe. I would guess ISFP but he is the most talkative person ever. He craves attention constantly. So either ESFP or ISFP.

That's one example of an xSFP not enjoying the military.

And I would agree ST's and STJ's probably do the best at the lower ranks. NT's and NTJ's could in theory be wonderful commanders if they were patient enough to rise in ranks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.