Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this evening, while eating a dinner in a pub it struck me how great the impact of misinformation on the internet is to the world.
I was speaking to someone about some simple quantum mechanics, but that leisurely chat went down the drain after I had to explain that a photon really does have a mass. No matter how much information he has gathered from YouTube videos.

But not only this; when my dear other half read from a book that an Incubus is a female demon and the writer compared it to the Mare, I knew she (the writer) meant Succubus, and probably visited Wikipedia for inspiration...

But the worst must be some of those pseudo scientists that explain the law of attraction but start in their second paragraph that there are only 4 elements, oxygen, hydrogen, Carbon and Nitrogen.

I'm sure you people have heard many more of these things; and I do understand your frustration and feeling you want to beat the living #@^! out of your lesser informed and hard headed fellow man. But since everyone apparently has the right to be stupid; it might bring some solace to vent and rant here.

·
Banned
4,143 Posts
As a Christian biologist, I can say that both hardline creationists and hardline anititheists like to bring up thirty - year old points that have since been solved. Do your research, people, and read a book.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Just show them relativity. E=M(gamma factor), and with a photon going the speed of light, your gamma factor is the infamous c^2.

c is more or less an arbitrary unit and you can pretty much set c=1 in your own unit space. Have E=M. If their assertion that a photon is massless is also true then a photon has no energy whatsoever which is not true. Then explain the speed of light squared is a big ass number and the mass of a photon is so small it's effectively massless but isn't.

I found the easiest way to prove scientific things is the eqns themselves.

·
Registered
INTP
7,070 Posts
I don't like it when people jump to very silly conclusions using scientific buzzwords that bear no relevance on what they're saying.

I met a guy in Goa (a place where many misinformed 'spiritually inclined' westerners seem to congregate), and when I told him I study physics, he went on to tell me about the 'quantum energy generator' in some Arab country that the world doesn't want us to know about, which most people are killed for getting into, but this particular project is guarded by some oil prince or something.

May or may not be true, but 'quantum energy' is a term I'm yet to be familiar with, particularly when he tries to relate it to perpetual motion and free energy devices, the latter of which I know to be quite impossible.

And don't get me started on fucking 'SCALAR WAVES'.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts