Personality Cafe banner

241 - 255 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,007 Posts
I would like to thank whoever put free sanitary products in womens bathrooms at Uni.

side note: the idea of menstral cups has always seemed gross to me. First you have to bend the cup and put it in your vagina which seems bad enough. The idea of the uterus lining and blood being collected in a cup is disgusting to me. If mothernature wanted me to suffer monthly i will make it suffer too.

·
Registered
9w1 sp
2,703 Posts
Sometimes, it's like I'm getting alzheimer's or dementia when the periods come. I'll walk into rooms and not remember why I'm in there. I'll forget things I was going to do or get practically left and right. I once went into the living room to fold clothes only to see my basket sitting with all of my clothes folded inside of it. I don't think I had any memory of folding the clothes what must have been within hours before, but it was a nice surprise nonetheless lol. Something similar happened last night with some dishes, except I did remember cleaning them when I saw them at least lol.

·
Beer Guardian
PerC Host, ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE
15,077 Posts
Sometimes, it's like I'm getting alzheimer's or dementia when the periods come. I'll walk into rooms and not remember why I'm in there. I'll forget things I was going to do or get practically left and right. I once went into the living room to fold clothes only to see my basket sitting with all of my clothes folded inside of it. I don't think I had any memory of folding the clothes what must have been within hours before, but it was a nice surprise nonetheless lol. Something similar happened last night with some dishes, except I did remember cleaning them when I saw them at least lol.
FYI I looked it up, you're not alone. Something to do with progesterone.

Brain Fog around your period.

Periods and forgetfulness.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Hold on nobody told me I'd get COOTIES opening up this thread, warn a guy for fuck's sake.

Reactions: Lady of Light

·
Registered
9w1 sp
2,703 Posts
@Echoe did you see this?
Howdy :kitteh:

I looked at the links... they made me nervous initially (lol) but I do think it's my hormones causing this. I don't have a heavy flow and my symptoms are generally pretty tame (so it's not distraction by other symptoms, and I doubt it's related to blood loss), I think, compared to most women. I don't always have forgetfulness. Most of the time I don't have that particular symptom, or not to the amusing degree described in my post. Not sure why it might appear in one month but not another. But anyway, yes, I saw a part about the progesterone impacting serotonin and other hormones that have to do with mood and alertness. Hm... (the menstrual cycle does all kinds of crap, huh?)

Also (to you or anyone else who might be interested), I've been reminded me of a discussion I had with a gynecologist about 5 years ago. We talked about hormones, body mass, and the menstrual cycle. I think he said that a higher body mass increases estrogen levels. He mentioned overweight men with breasts, for example -- "its not just fat". I'm thin and always have been. I started my periods at 14 and they've always seemed light compared to what other girls/women describe.

https://www.ucrhealth.org/notes-news/blog/may-2017/how-obesity-impacts-your-menstrual-cycle/
(Towards the bottom of the article, there's a part about how body mass and estrogen are related in menstruation)

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,593 Posts
At least I didn't have to wait a nerve-racking 30 days this time!
No future quaran-teens for me.

·
Administrator
13,484 Posts
I tend to get migraines right around my period and one of the symptoms I have sometimes, from migraines, is trouble thinking.

It usually comes out as trouble talking or being more anxious or just confused. I remember once I had to do a presentation while having a migraine on my period, and it wasn't terrible, but the organization and scatteredness and brain farts were off the chart (not to mention losing track and going on tangents that lead to nowhere).

My migraines seem to be affected by hormones. They also are like weird stuff in the brain. idk

This month just had two days of pain on one side of my head and now it's gone, but the heavy cramping has started. Yay!

·
Administrator
13,484 Posts
Wow, perfect. 28 days from the last post...by me. My uterus has a way better sense of time than I do.

AND I decided to not go to two stores to get pads and groceries--so I went to the discount grocery store in hopes they had pads there too. It is a pandemic and I also just didn't feel like going in a different store just for pads.

They had night time maximum flow pads...with NO WINGS. What is the point of making a night time pad with no wings? WHY would they even do that? Who designed that? And the sucker is not very impressive otherwise.

So I decided to put on a regular pad with wings, and put the night time pad with no wings over it--and see if sleeping with two pads will be better than either one. :confused:

·
Administrator
13,484 Posts
Wow, perfect. 28 days from the last post...by me. My uterus has a way better sense of time than I do.

AND I decided to not go to two stores to get pads and groceries--so I went to the discount grocery store in hopes they had pads there too. It is a pandemic and I also just didn't feel like going in a different store just for pads.

They had night time maximum flow pads...with NO WINGS. What is the point of making a night time pad with no wings? WHY would they even do that? Who designed that? And the sucker is not very impressive otherwise.

So I decided to put on a regular pad with wings, and put the night time pad with no wings over it--and see if sleeping with two pads will be better than either one. :confused:

I just learned the 2nd store (the drug store) that I almost went to (if I was less lazy and more unafraid of covid19) had several of their employees come down positive with COVID just within the last couple days. So in some ways, that crappy pad with no wings could have helped save me from exposure--that and my own laziness and dislike of shopping.

So now I love my crappy no-wing pads.

·
4,854 Posts
I usually get just like a drop of blood the first day, as a warning, but today it was just there all of a sudden, like a waterfall when I rose in the morning, it was like a bloodbath in the bathroom... and I have problems with the smell of blood.

Then an hour or two later when back in the bathroom I started feeling faint, and then queasy, even though already sitting down. It wasn't enough to put my head between my legs, so I had to lay down on the floor for a while and try not to hyperventilate (which make one more faint). After a while I felt slightly better and rose to wash my hands, and when looking in the mirror I looked like a ghost, all gray in the skin and blue lips, it was scary. I hurried to go to bed, but it took about half an hour before feeling fairly well, first I just lay there still faint and shivering cold.

I have never experienced this kind of reaction. I have felt faint because of my own blood before (wounds, when donating blood), but not related to menstruation. Has anyone else experienced this?
It made me a bit scared to be honest, if there might be something wrong. But I feel silly taking up healthcares time if it is just that I faint at blood, especially at these times.

·
Beer Guardian
PerC Host, ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE
15,077 Posts
I usually get just like a drop of blood the first day, as a warning, but today it was just there all of a sudden, like a waterfall when I rose in the morning, it was like a bloodbath in the bathroom... and I have problems with the smell of blood.

Then an hour or two later when back in the bathroom I started feeling faint, and then queasy, even though already sitting down. It wasn't enough to put my head between my legs, so I had to lay down on the floor for a while and try not to hyperventilate (which make one more faint). After a while I felt slightly better and rose to wash my hands, and when looking in the mirror I looked like a ghost, all gray in the skin and blue lips, it was scary. I hurried to go to bed, but it took about half an hour before feeling fairly well, first I just lay there still faint and shivering cold.

I have never experienced this kind of reaction. I have felt faint because of my own blood before (wounds, when donating blood), but not related to menstruation. Has anyone else experienced this?
It made me a bit scared to be honest, if there might be something wrong. But I feel silly taking up healthcares time if it is just that I faint at blood, especially at these times.
Attic,

You may have menorrhagia with anemia. That could explain the symptoms. I'd seriously suggest you talk to your gynecologist.

If you're wondering how I know about that, I had a cousin who had it. I also had a gf/ex wife who used to pass out every month due to extremely painful cramps and bleeding.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Has anyone else experienced this?
this is not 'taking up healthcare's time'; it's a good example of what healthcare is for.

posting mostly to say i have had some of those symptoms occasionally - the faintiness in particular. i remember how scary it was; i did have a patch of time where the first half-day of every period had to be spent in bed physically fighting my own parasympathetic nervous system. it felt like if i didn't keep it under control by my own efforts, it would spiral itself right out of control.

decades later some doctor told me that some women's reproductive stuff is more tangled up with the vagus system than other women's. a lot of things kind of fell into place for me then. in my case i ended up getting prescribed consistent doses of anti-inflammatories for other reasons, and i will say that the armageddon periods seemed to stop at around the same time.

but yes, i would go and get someone real and medical to look at it. don't take my anecdotes for anything more than just that.

241 - 255 of 255 Posts