Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have a theory on life, the meaning of life, how/why humans do what they do?
Its quite a broad thread but never the less interesting (to me at least).

Try not to take put down a theory that you don't agree with, but playing devils advocate reasonably is fine.

Have fun!:tongue:

Personal Example: I have always had the feeling our bodies aren't "ours". That they are just vehicles necessary for life. We are much more then our bodies and therefore body image problems are both hard to fathom and easy to explain. It explains why some children feel that that are suppose to be a different gender, they where just literally born into the wrong body. Or the right body, see the body is just a physical representation of everything that is missing in "us" the real us.. now don't take that the wrong way that is not to say, for example physically pretty people are ugly on the inside but in a more abstract way. This is not to say this theory works everywhere/every time but that's why its only a theory.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Topic: Meaning of Life

Levels:

• Subjective
  • Objective
  • Absolute

Subjective:
A purpose you feel and (probably) pursue. Fills your life with meaning.

Objective:
Life is a self-perpetuating chain of organic forms which persists wherever it can for as long as it can, from bacteria to whales. It is, essentially, no different from rocks flying in space - one very long domino effect where natural selection and random mutations produce varying lifeforms.

Absolute:
God, religion, faith, similar. Governs everything.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I love this thread!

I think life is just like the cartoon show "Ozzy & Drix"!

Ozzy is a white blood cell with little respect for authority, and Drix is a cold pill and his best friend. They're cops and have an office inside Hector's left retina ("prime real estate"). It takes place inside the body of teenager Hector Cruz (referred to by the characters as "the City of Hector")!

So basically the Ozzy & Drix theory is that we all are lifeforms inside of another lifeform which we may call God.

So you could call me an Pantheist, just like Einstein and Spinoza.

·
chicken chaser
10,123 Posts
We merely exist as a projection of light that's already dead.

or, something like.
one whole-life's purpose is to live and die.
then that can be segmented into smaller frames
purposes could be assigned to each of these frames,
purposes could span across multiple frames,
frames and purposes could be segmented into smaller frames and purposes, respectively.

or did I just descibe a sim's life... /)_<

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
I sometimes believe we are just an experiment from them but then I start to think how powerful we are in a spiritual way and that's beyond any kind of intelligence.

We are the result of something divine from space, I don't think our existence was intentional, in fact we are a underestimated mistake. Like ants under the ground building their own world to survive.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Existence is a giant playground, and nature is the biggest kid.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I wrote a thread on the philosophy forum called Thoughts on free will, fate, and religion. I don't believe in freewill, but we do have the illusion of choice, which is important.

Also, I like to think our bodies are paintbrushes and our lives are the canvases. Treat your paintbrush well, and you can use it for years. But the canvas is 10 times more important than the paintbrush.

·
Banned
862 Posts
I'm Christian. I think that faith can never be proven. It's just something that God graces me with, and if I reach out then the reward unimaginable. To me, the idea of God giving a part of himself to save me from myself, as humanity rejected him initially, is transcendent compassion I'm incapable of comprehending. That's the meaning of life to me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I believe in free will. The thought of not being an absolute core or a center of a self that at least have some sort of control of our behavior and decisions, just because we can't pin point it out neurologically or find a physical evidence of it yet, and then just accepting our hole experience as an illusion, feels just not right for me. Neither does the idea of an personal God who created the heavens and the earth in 7 days. Though I think that the universe is too perfectly constructed, like if you put the earth just a little bit closer or further from the Sun and there coulden't be life on earth. But then again, everything could really be an concidence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
In a school philosophy class we thought about the meaning of life. I spent much time on it. Ultimately I came to a conclusion that I do not understand the question at all. "Meaning"? Words have meanings. I mean something with the words I use. If life has a meaning, who or what is the one that is meaning something with it? Life has a meaning only assuming that life was created on purpose for something.

This would mean that the question is of the religious nature. I could not understand it because I was not religious back then.
So, my answer, an opinion of a confused little child:

If no creator, no meaning
If creator, only they know what their intention was :)

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
I believe in parallel universes, that when an event occurs it results in multiple scenarios, multiple parallel lives. I also believe that intuition is a dimension which we can't see, trace or explain but it is as real as your 5 senses - though I believe these senses could be manufactured by your conscious.

I know it sounds like Intersteller now :p that is why I loved the movie actually, also Mr.Nobody

·
Registered
157 Posts
To me life is meaningless, as in there is grand scheme life MUST accomplish. If there was, why bother with life? Why not have some machine randomly appear out of nowhere and do the task. Perhaps life as we know is it just that, a complex mechanism to fulfill a goal, no free will, if you knew everything in the past and present you would know the future.

But what if free will does exist, and some forms of life actually can actually make decisions that are unpredictable. Would those forms of life be worth more than the forms of life that don't have free will? How should that change ethics of dealing with "life forms"?
Should self replicating artificial intelligence ever be considered life? Is it possible for it to gain a "free will"?
Which brings the question, is it ethical to end life that has no free will? Especially for the sake of life that has free will? And would the converse be ethical. Now when considering that question, what if everyone you knew didn't have free will, would that change your opinion?

TLDR:
Created or not, if life is to serve some greater purpose, why bother with it? (I actually find a meaningless life more appealing)
Does life have free will? And is life with free will greater than life without it?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would like to believe in free will, but I logically can't; the inductive argument against free will is too strong given advances in neuroscience.

I think the search for meaning itself evolved because it had to. The motile organisms with goals were the ones that were more successful in reproducing. When they achieved their goal, they were cognitively or physically rewarded. This is what kept them pursuing goals, etc.. It would seem. That's the pursuit of meaning.

I'm not sure about meaning itself. It seems the fulfillment of goals, but that answer is no fun.

·
Registered
790 Posts
We are all one conscious connected.
Our bodies are just a vehicle that will become one with the land that we live and reborn again in another form.
The universe is in continuous expansion because our desires (!)
There are other lifes, but they are in another dimension or level of consciousness, that we could reach together when we all learn whatever we have to learn (XD)

The objective of life is make it fun and meaningful.

Reactions: Yikes

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Around this time of year, people say all the things they're thankful for. And you never see "a pair of skis" on the list. It's always about people, because people are most important.

Life is the meaning of life. Life is surviving or reproducing. And you can give your life more purpose by how you choose to live it, but the only meaning of life is life.

I learned it's not how good you are at something, what's more important is who you know.

There's a lot of life theories in sociology. Like people don't realize how privileged they are. White people (I'm white) just assume everybody is treated fantastically, like they are.

There's no reason for a lot of things. Like there's no reason to believe in god but there's also no reason to believe in human rights either. (You can challenge me philosophically on this but I've explored the human rights thing for a while, looking for some justification/reason)

We're all incredibly conscious of our image. Like I know INFJs are deeper than your average bear, but we're still all pretty motivated by our persona.. The type of person we think we are who does the types of thinks we think we do and projects only things that reflect back on ourselves in a certain way.

And speaking of behavior, we're all driven to behave correctly. So we make decisions based on what other people are doing ("Customers who Bought this Product also Bought..."). If I'm ever successful at business, I think it'll be because I didn't feel a strong need to act conventionally. But I still took clues from how to behave from role models and stuff growing up. I just like to think I can make the most of out situations by doing it my own way rather than what's prescribed or demonstrated to me. Who knows if I'm right...

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
my theory on life is that everyone has something good about them except me. People do what they do to be mean to me and other people they deem inferior.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
What if I told you there is only your own consciousness and that's it.
If it was just our conscious, how would the projections of out conscious (as in you) know things that I don't know? :p

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Purpose of life is to have a relationship with God and obey Him out of love.

Once that purpose is fulfilled, so much more than ever imagined can happen after.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts