Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hypothesis, and I want to collect data from you all to prove or disprove it. So please humour me and answer me the following question:

You are on your own. You are boarding a completely empty bus for a half-hour journey. Where do you sit?

I'll start - I will sit, facing forward, so that I have the window on my left, and I will sit just slightly behind the centre line - on the buses here that means at the very back of the "front" section, opposite the doors.

·
Registered
294 Posts
well, if it's completely empty, then I'd have to take the dirver's seat to go anywhere...;)

If it's a given that there's already a driver, then I'd probably sit about three or four rows back on the opposite side of the driver, so I have someone to watch, but discreetly, and so he (or she) and I can talk once in a while, but will also have our privacy when needed.

Now, if you mean that it's currently empty, but that others will be getting on shortly, then I'd probably sit somewhere in the middle in an isle seat, also on the driver's opposite side. This would allow me to observe some, but I wouldn't want to sit all the way in the back (which would allow for more observation), because it would make me sick. Plus, in my experience, the crazies often sit in the back...

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I sit in the veeery back-right corner of the bus, beside the window. Best spot to quietly gaze off into space.

Plus, in my experience, the crazies often sit in the back...
I daresay, your timing is impeccable.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
I will sit on the front seat on the left side (as I walk in the bus). I wouldn't sit in the driver's seat. I don't know how to drive a bus. Maybe my imaginary friend can do it. :wink:

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
In the UK the drivers side is on the right so from this perspective I will sit on the driver's side, so the window is on my right and I will sit almost in the middle but slightly more towards the front.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
In the UK the drivers side is on the right so from this perspective I will sit on the driver's side, so the window is on my right and I will sit almost in the middle but slightly more towards the front.
I must admit that it looks weird to me to watch people from the UK driving on TV.

It seems like they're driving on the wrong side of the road. lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would sit three or four rows behind the driver and I would sit by the window .

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would choose the same seat as you, Kateykinz. That is, if it is not already taken, by you or somebody else :laughing:

Regarding left side or right side driving, I think the English would change to right hand side driving only if the rest of the world changed to left hand side driving...

Reactions: Daveman

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Having taken busses extensively I must say I often take sit that is right in front, on right side of driver (driver is on left side facing front window). This way I can fully see front window and front door as well as driver. Don't like sitting in back in empty busses. However if it is night I might sit towards middle, because then it is dark and I can't see anything out of front window anyway.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your replies. Assuming we are all INFJs, you've pretty much just thrown my theory out of the window, but given the very small sample size I'll wait to see if there are any more replies before dismissing it completely, and sharing with you what that theory was.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
So far it sounds like a lot of us like the centre area.

I also sit in either just in front of the middle or just behind it. (middle is where the door is)
I have a habit of sitting at the left side, where the driver is, but if there is a mirror as there are in the buses here, I will move to the right side lol

I am not really comfortable sitting all the way at the back. I think I get some security being in the middle, mostly because you get hidden in the crowd of people. I have never sat at the front unless I had no other choice. I feel like I am on display up there.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I would sit just behind the back doors, which here means slightly behind the centre of the bus. On the opposite side to the driver. That would give me the best view inside the bus - as going further back would mean not being able to fully see the front door - and at the same time have a fairly clear view of the road ahead. If I were on the same side as the driver, I wouldn't see anything ahead, and only the traffic through the side windows.

However, if there are a lot of people on the bus, I'd prefer sitting either further back or further ahead, to get a clear view either of the road, or of most people on the bus.

If i were tired, I'd just go lay in the back seat.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I'd sit on the left (non drivers side) in the seat with the wheel arch in. That's if there is one... it's usually quite near the back if that means anything :unsure:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You are on your own. You are boarding a completely empty bus for a half-hour journey. Where do you sit?

At the moment predict were It will be the most peaceful. I'm not much for seating in the middle of anything.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I would choose the middle left side, beside a window. The back tends to be jarring and bumpy, and I like to be a bit away from the front in case of a collision. I am currently in Nepal, and if I were taking a bus here I would definitely not sit in the front unless it were absolutely the only available seat. I made the mistake of sitting in the front of a large bus in India once, next to the driver, so I could see everything that was happening (basically two lanes of speeding traffic on a one-way-sized street). I was terrified, and never did it again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I havent read any responses yet. Interested to see :)

This has happened to me before. I sit in the first available non-disabled seating, usually on my right. Window on my left.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, so the reason I asked was that I always sit with the window on my left - have done so for nearly 10 years of commuting. I don't feel comfortable sitting with the window on my right, or sitting sideways or at the back of the bus. On the way home last week it occurred to me that I am always staring out the window, but not at anything in particular, I'm always off in my own world. Then I read about INFJs eyes looking up and left during Ni-drift, and I realized this was exactly what I do for most of my bus journeys - just looking up and left while deep in thought. If I sit on the right hand side of the bus I find it more difficult to stare out the window and daydream, and if my eyes drift left then I'm often staring at a passenger without realizing it, which then makes me uncomfortable when I realize what I'm doing.

The evidence here does not overwhelmingly support my theory that Ni dominant people will sit on the left by the window - but I see that there is more evidence for sitting towards the middle rather than at front or back...perhaps just our best attempt at not standing out?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
oh wow you actually pointed something out to me, katey.. (._.) The times where I scare or anger someone because I am staring or 'looking at' them, it is always to my left !! (O_O)!! and for a time i was thinking i was subconsciously sensing an *aura* XD however there are a few times when i look straight and slightly to the right.

in general i do feel uncomfortable sitting on the right

1 - 20 of 34 Posts