Personality Cafe banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a theory (that I can't actually take credit for) that it is possible to evoke the use of various cognitive functions with physical or mental actions.

This idea can be related to the fact that someone who is in a bad mood can force themselves to smile. This action causes brain chemical changes that actually change the mood of the person from negative to positive.

(I'm not saying cognitive functions are influenced by brain chemistry. I just thought the "forcing something to work by a simple action" principle applied.)

The purpose of hypothesizing about what these actions might be is to provide those who have very little practice with certain functions or little personal concept of how they work to gain ability or understanding of said functions with the least possible effort.

I will list my rough-draft guesses about what actions might evoke the use of the various cognitive functions. Please give it some thought and share your ideas with me as well!

If you disagree with any of my guesses about how to force oneself to use a certain cognitive function, please tell me and explain why.

Please have fun with this and Thank you so much.

Se – Surround yourself with sensations such as sound, color, texture, etc or sit and people watch. Take the time to make yourself hyper aware of each of the sensations or individuals, one at a time, taking note of any and all aspects of each sensation or action on the part of the people.

Si – Take an object (such as a photo album of your childhood pictures) and look through it, making special effort to identify any thoughts that memories of the past evoke. Take the time to compare the thoughts that were evoked by memories of the past to common thoughts of the present.

Ne – Focus your attention on something you perhaps normally take for granted. Question the “obvious” reasons it “must” be the way it is. Think up ridiculous ways of doing it differently and then force yourself to come up with ways of making the ridiculous ways of doing it functional. You may not be good at it, but it might be practising Ne. I don't know.

Ni – When you are stressed about something, sit as still as possible in a quiet room, breathe deeply and slowly, quiet your mind and “listen” to the silence. Allow your subconscious to tell you what direction to go in. Practice taking whatever comes to you and looking for applications of that information even if, initially, it seems counter intuitive. Follow the thoughts into the future to anticipate outcomes of the revelations.

Te – Read a book about organizing. LOL. Apparently I have no Te, but I have read several books on decluttering and organizing and, when I apply myself, I am quite good at it.

Ti – When you are inclined to assume something about which you do not have enough information, stop. Ask for clarification. Ask yourself whether the information is complete, whether it is missing anything, whether it is functional, whether it makes sense.

Fe – Imagine yourself in another person's shoes. Take into consideration as many factors about the other person's circumstances and preferences as you can. Ask yourself, “What is this person lacking? What does this person need to feel happy?” Attempt to fill that need, immediate or otherwise.

Fi – I don't know. I need help with this one.

I realize I have a very shallow understanding of the cognitive functions. I'm in the process of understanding them.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Fi- Keep a self-analysis diary: write down, stream-of-consciousness-style, your observations, reflections and feelings about/ on your life and on the people/ events that comprise it, and then go back and try to analyze why you feel a certain way. Fi is my auxiliary function, and I find that this really helps me to get in touch with it, and therefore with my emotional side in general.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I've actually been working on this myself. Let us work together.

Ni: [Look at a billboard or advertisement, and follow this format: They want me to see X, but instead I only see Y. For example, "I'm supposed to see how amazing this soap is, but instead I only see a cardboard box and a logo."] This sounds simple, but a Ni dominant thinks this way instinctively. Ni is, in fact, not a completely subconscious function that delivers random information. Credit to Vel for this technique.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've actually been working on this myself. Let us work together.

Ni: [Look at a billboard or advertisement, and follow this format: They want me to see X, but instead I only see Y. For example, "I'm supposed to see how amazing this soap is, but instead I only see a cardboard box and a logo."] This sounds simple, but a Ni dominant thinks this way instinctively. Ni is, in fact, not a completely subconscious function that delivers random information. Credit to Vel for this technique.
Yes, let's work together, please. What are your thoughts on the other functions?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've got some more to add :)

Se-Try something new. Just.... wait for an opportunity to do something crazy with someone and then just go with it. For example a family friend recently went to Mongolia and he and the friend with whom he went agreed to say yes to everything while on the trip. They ended up in a wrestling match, eating a traditional Mongolian dinner with a family in a small village, and in a bunch of other sensory-rich situations that they never would have had access to otherwise.

Ni-Try to find the underlying truth in a concept. This might not make sense if you're not a Ni user, so I'll give a simple example. Think of someone you admire, then think about what they do that makes you admire them, then think about the motives behind that behavior, then think about the underlying traits/ situations that would cause the person to have those motives, and eventually you should find exactly why they are so impressive. For example it might all come to confidence. Obviously that's a fairly shallow example so if you want more of a challenge, try applying Ni's unique abstract-linear thinking style to, say, the meaning of life. Let me know if you come to any conclusions XD

·
Registered
773 Posts
i think this is just imitating those functions, not actually using them.

when you smile, but arent actually happy, you are repressing the sadness by imitating happiness. this isnt actually the same thing, repression is more sort of pushing away bad feelings/thoughts/whatevers by focusing on its opposite.

also there is the fact, that not all types use all of these functions, but all use T N S F.

imo it should be more like if you are in too heavy N mode, try to concentrate on what is, consciously ask question "what is" about everything, instead of looking at too much of the possibilities and thinking where they might go. naturally its good to see the possibilities for these facts of "what is", so you shouldnt try to abandon N completely. but concentrating on "what is" keeps you in the reality of things better, since too much N usage is exactly the reason for making unreal assumptions.

if you are in too heavy T mode, try to concentrate on what things are worth, instead of just analyzing them. consciously ask the question "what is it worth?", instead of concentrating and going too much depth with the question "what is it?".

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is taken directly from the Lenore Thompson exegesis wiki. I didn't write a single word of the following:

Te: What are my goals, my criteria of progress and success? How shall I constrain affairs to ensure that those goals come about?

Ti: I must understand for myself based on reasoning that I grasp first-hand. I will have to play around with it myself so that the way it makes sense becomes clear to my mind.

Fe: What network of obligations am I bound into? How will this affect or define my relationships with other people?

Fi: What is alive here and what are its needs, and what does unconditional moral principle call upon me to do about it? What will make my soul pure?

Se: What is my gut reaction right now, regardless of past, future, or faraway circumstances? What impulse do I feel like following right this second? What image shall I create (what gut reaction shall I produce in others)?

Si: What enduring things and concerns am I anchored to, regardless of changing circumstances? What can I always find by knowing to look for it? What can I depend on in a world that is mostly unknown and changing?

Ne: How can I change the game? How can I open up the unknown and thereby change our understanding of what's before us right now?

Ni: What is my own way of seeing things, independent of influences such as other people's ideas, other people's expectations, my culture, my language, or reality itself?

Relentlessly asking and answering these questions, we form an ego. We eventually believe that the "I" of one of these sentences is what we are, and any other "I" is a threat to our very integrity as a person.
Source (The site itself is having server problems, I could only access this page cached from Google.)

I hope this can help you with your theory. :)

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
when you smile, but arent actually happy, you are repressing the sadness by imitating happiness. this isnt actually the same thing, repression is more sort of pushing away bad feelings/thoughts/whatevers by focusing on its opposite.
While that makes sense, there have actually been studies on this sort of thing. In fact, the argument whether physiological change predicates emotional reaction, vice versa, or simultaneously has been going on for quite a while amongst psychologists. As I recall from my physiological psychology class, it varies based on situation. The theories are listed here: Emotion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, each have an affect on the other, and you can consciously affect your mental state by engaging in specific physical actions (check out this study: Can Smiling Make You Happy?), as well as being able to affect physical sensations based on your mental state. Here is an article about the effects of smiling on your mood: Smile! It Could Make You Happier: Scientific American

An interesting example of this relationship is when a child falls and scrapes a knee on the playground. Many times a child will just keep on playing, the physical sensation of the wound not enough to evoke an emotional reaction. However, if the child's parent sees the fall and then approaches the child showing obvious distress the child is much more likely to start crying. While this isn't exactly the same phenomenon, it definitely has to do with the same stuff.

It's amazing to discover that we have more control over our emotions than we want to believe. It is a choice to continue feeling sad. This isn't to say that we should ignore the emotion when it comes up, but instead we can simply acknowledge it, perhaps locate the source of it, and then let it go and move on. Now I just need to work on actually practicing what I preach =\

Reactions: Berdudget

·
Registered
773 Posts
While that makes sense, there have actually been studies on this sort of thing. In fact, the argument whether physiological change predicates emotional reaction, vice versa, or simultaneously has been going on for quite a while amongst psychologists. As I recall from my physiological psychology class, it varies based on situation. The theories are listed here: Emotion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, each have an affect on the other, and you can consciously affect your mental state by engaging in specific physical actions (check out this study: Can Smiling Make You Happy?), as well as being able to affect physical sensations based on your mental state. Here is an article about the effects of smiling on your mood: Smile! It Could Make You Happier: Scientific American

An interesting example of this relationship is when a child falls and scrapes a knee on the playground. Many times a child will just keep on playing, the physical sensation of the wound not enough to evoke an emotional reaction. However, if the child's parent sees the fall and then approaches the child showing obvious distress the child is much more likely to start crying. While this isn't exactly the same phenomenon, it definitely has to do with the same stuff.

It's amazing to discover that we have more control over our emotions than we want to believe. It is a choice to continue feeling sad. This isn't to say that we should ignore the emotion when it comes up, but instead we can simply acknowledge it, perhaps locate the source of it, and then let it go and move on. Now I just need to work on actually practicing what I preach =\
what i said doesent contradict with those studies, i said "when you smile, but arent happy", i never said that you couldnt get happy from smiling. i just think that the happiness comes from repressing the sadness by acting happy, and repressing sadness will bring out its opposite, which is happiness.

that children falling thing comes from mirroring the parents reaction, which brings out the emotional response in the child, its an emotional response evoked by mirror cells.

this acting like some function doesent work like that. when you imitate a function, you arent actually using the brain regions that does the function, you are just focusing yourself to act certain way, this is different regions that the functions, its actually one region that does this sort of mental modelling of all functions. how ever mirroring others do cause the same region to activate than what you are mirroring, but that doesent have anything to do with this, since this is about mental modelling, not about mirroring others.

also its different with happiness, happiness comes from release of various neurotransmitters. with this smiling to make you happy those neurotransmitters are released because you are conditioned to have an release of those neurotransmitters when you smile. its totally different thing with functions.

those descriptions in op, is about imitating functions by doing mental modelling. instead if you focus your attention to question yourself with these questions: "what is?"(S), "where something came from and where is it going?"(N), "what is it?"(T) and "what is it worth/is it worth it or not?"(F), you are evoking the function to answer the questions. thus getting in touch with the functions, not just doing mental modelling that doesent come from using the functions.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what i said doesent contradict with those studies, i said "when you smile, but arent happy", i never said that you couldnt get happy from smiling. i just think that the happiness comes from repressing the sadness by acting happy, and repressing sadness will bring out its opposite, which is happiness.

that children falling thing comes from mirroring the parents reaction, which brings out the emotional response in the child, its an emotional response evoked by mirror cells.

this acting like some function doesent work like that. when you imitate a function, you arent actually using the brain regions that does the function, you are just focusing yourself to act certain way, this is different regions that the functions, its actually one region that does this sort of mental modelling of all functions. how ever mirroring others do cause the same region to activate than what you are mirroring, but that doesent have anything to do with this, since this is about mental modelling, not about mirroring others.

also its different with happiness, happiness comes from release of various neurotransmitters. with this smiling to make you happy those neurotransmitters are released because you are conditioned to have an release of those neurotransmitters when you smile. its totally different thing with functions.

those descriptions in op, is about imitating functions by doing mental modelling. instead if you focus your attention to question yourself with these questions: "what is?"(S), "where something came from and where is it going?"(N), "what is it?"(T) and "what is it worth/is it worth it or not?"(F), you are evoking the function to answer the questions. thus getting in touch with the functions, not just doing mental modelling that doesent come from using the functions.
Now I understand what you are trying to say. It didn't come through the same way in the first post to me. But this makes sense. Thank you for contributing and for clarifying. This is useful. I'm glad @possiBri made the points she did so you were moved to reply again. EDIT: I am very interested in your source that describes which regions of the brain the cognitive functions are considered to function from. Can you provide it?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Now I understand what you are trying to say. It didn't come through the same way in the first post to me. But this makes sense. Thank you for contributing and for clarifying. This is useful. I'm glad possiBri made the points she did so you were moved to reply again. EDIT: I am very interested in your source that describes which regions of the brain the cognitive functions are considered to function from. Can you provide it?
i never said i have a source that links cognitive functions to certain areas, but its obvious that the functions are produced by brain areas. however i dont think jungian functions are caused by one brain area alone, they seem to be more like patterns of brain activity in several areas. i dont think there has been any large studies to track down single functions to certain brain areas(only seen one small study by some students, couldnt find it google again). but there is large amounts of stuff on internet that tells you how brains work.

also there is this small study about types and eeg, but it doesent show the functions
http://www.aptinternational.org/assets/jptvol65_1105_apti.pdf

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i never said i have a source that links cognitive functions to certain areas, but its obvious that the functions are produced by brain areas. however i dont think jungian functions are caused by one brain area alone, they seem to be more like patterns of brain activity in several areas. i dont think there has been any large studies to track down single functions to certain brain areas(only seen one small study by some students, couldnt find it google again). but there is large amounts of stuff on internet that tells you how brains work.

also there is this small study about types and eeg, but it doesent show the functions
http://www.aptinternational.org/assets/jptvol65_1105_apti.pdf
I came to a similar conclusion about locating function activity in the brain last night. lol. Thanks for responding. I look forward to reading the information in the link you provided.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Not really sure it works:

How to Experience Different Function-Attitudes

Ti's expressionless face.

Have had people get angry with me cause they thought I was angry/pissed off/sad/depressed because I was thinking.

Wonder if you ask "do people think you are .... when thinking" as a way to see if somebody uses Ti LOL

Or Ne's shifty eyes.

Aren't there any studies done on this already?

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Ti's expressionless face. Have had people get angry with me cause they thought I was angry/pissed off/sad/depressed because I was thinking.

Or Ne's shifty eyes.
I know exactly what you mean about this. Though this face might happen when I'm thinking about something that has made me angry, mostly I get this face ANY time I'm particularly deep in thought. I think my ESFP roommate might read into it too much sometimes. For me my Ne will be shifty eyed when I'm trying to find something interesting, and then they lock on and I get that "staring into the middle distance" gaze. When I was in high school I used to get people saying to me, "Hey what are you looking at?" The Ne gaze plus the Ti face can be taken very personally when it usually has nothing to do with the object being stared at. =|

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
I know exactly what you mean about this. Though this face might happen when I'm thinking about something that has made me angry, mostly I get this face ANY time I'm particularly deep in thought. I think my ESFP roommate might read into it too much sometimes. For me my Ne will be shifty eyed when I'm trying to find something interesting, and then they lock on and I get that "staring into the middle distance" gaze. When I was in high school I used to get people saying to me, "Hey what are you looking at?" The Ne gaze plus the Ti face can be taken very personally when it usually has nothing to do with the object being stared at. =|
1. Thanks. Good stories.

2. How could you not read my sig? This link's been there for weeks (months?) and is not mine :)

3. I saw it in D'ja-something, some ISTP with funny sig ) Laughed my ass off, especially when he was showing Fe, but after I laughed at his Ti, I was like: "Hey, I do that. OMG. It makes sense now they thought I was angry with them. LOL, stupid Ti face. Or shifty Ne eyes.

Imagine how many people are doing it around you and you can check to see if they were really using that function. "I think" vs. "We are all friends!" LOL

All 4 ENFPs I have seen have this really weird gaze where they are the opposite to us and their eyes are always following me even when they turn and they are hiding it. Like they are very concentrated. Does this ring any bells? If yes - is that Fi or there are two versions of Ne? If not - sorry for making you read this.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
1. Thanks. Good stories.

2. How could you not read my sig? This link's been there for weeks (months?) and is not mine :)

3. I saw it in D'ja-something, some ISTP with funny sig ) Laughed my ass off, especially when he was showing Fe, but after I laughed at his Ti, I was like: "Hey, I do that. OMG. It makes sense now they thought I was angry with them. LOL, stupid Ti face. Or shifty Ne eyes.

Imagine how many people are doing it around you and you can check to see if they were really using that function. "I think" vs. "We are all friends!" LOL

All 4 ENFPs I have seen have this really weird gaze where they are the opposite to us and their eyes are always following me even when they turn and they are hiding it. Like they are very concentrated. Does this ring any bells? If yes - is that Fi or there are two versions of Ne? If not - sorry for making you read this.

Cheers!
Well the ENFP I know does the shifty Ne eyes thing. Perhaps not universal, or he's really an ENTP haha

1 - 19 of 19 Posts