Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer:
This idea just clicked in my head a while back. I'm not going off of much, except for experience and a sense of "truthiness." (refer to my signature for definition, lol)

I was thinking about how similar Ti/Fi were (constant, internal frameworks) so I was like "hm, how would Te/Fe be similar externally in the simplest way possible?"
We know they're similar in many ways, but how would they look when dealing with the environment?

My Hypothesis

At their most interactive with the environment:

- Extraverted Thinking can organize environment in
logical ways. (This we know.)
- Extraverted Feeling can organize environment in
harmonic ways. (This is my inquiry.)

In addition, if this were agreed upon, then in that sense could someone be called "harmonically rational" similar to "logically rational"?

I don't know if "harmonically" is right word choice there, but the idea is that could there be some "logic" or "rationality" so to speak, behind Fe?

It also
influenced me a little that Jung called Fe a rational function.

Thoughts?

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
I'm not sure logic is really the right word because Feeling can be a form of logic too. In fact Thinking types often deride Feeling types for being illogical, not recognizing the form of logic that Feeling facilitates. It's just that, in this scenario that you set up, the Feeling function would 'organize,' if you will, according to evaluation (good/bad, like/dislike, ugly/beautiful). Whereas the Thinking function deals with things on a purely conceptual level (non-evaluative categorization, identification, rules, etc). Thinking tells us what something is, Feeling tells us whether or not we like it.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Additional info, I guess:

From experience, I don't generally like giving orders or taking control, but when something/someone is really bothering me I have no problem taking control of the situation or even getting a little bossy if I have to. As a matter of fact, I would feel uneasy if I didn't. I figured it's a judging function, so once I decide I've had enough I would have to intervene or take action.

But that's just under stress...

Under normal circumstances, I've noticed that once I
feel like I need to do something then I need to finish it.
My best example of this would be how I would wait for the last minute to do assignments for classes because "I need the pressure." (I don't have a primary or auxiliary Je function.) And if I decide something isn't worth continuing, I don't feel much like going back to it...

Speculation...

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure logic is really the right word becauseFeeling can be a form of logic too. In fact Thinking types often deride Feeling types for being illogical, not recognizing the form of logic that Feeling facilitates. It's just that, in this scenario that you set up, the Feeling function would 'organize,' if you will, according to evaluation (good/bad, like/dislike, ugly/beautiful). Whereas the Thinking function deals with things on a purely conceptual level (non-evaluative categorization, identification, rules, etc). Thinking tells us what something is, Feeling tells us whether or not we like it.
"...Feeling can be a form of logic too..."
Awesome! That's what I was saying.

You're pretty much correct in your interpretation. Would you agree the bolded part could be called "harmonic organization"?

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
My best example of this would be how I would wait for the last minute to do assignments for classes because "I need the pressure." (I don't have a primary or auxiliary Je function.) And if I decide something isn't worth continuing, I don't feel much like going back to it...
This points toward the Feeling function. Not because of what you feel (because all functions will have an emotional aspect to them) but rather because you are making a value judgment. That whatever you feel like doing right now is more important than doing your homework and that the pressure (ostensibly from the outside world) of getting it done compels you to action. This is probably a haphazardly developed Extraverted Feeling function, sort of half paying attention to how the world evaluates, but half not caring either.

For example, we sometimes associate Ti-types (INTPs specifically) as being sort of lazy or undisciplined and assume that their Ne is responsible, but actually it's often due to their miserable Fe. Their ability to make effective value judgments about what is important right now, versus later is poorly developed or ignored, so their actions might be more likely to be more egocentric because of the downplay of being evaluating by the outside world. Fe is there to keep the Ti-dom grounded in the real world, so he doesn't get lost in his own subjectivity, but in INTPs (and INFPs too whose Je function is the inferior) it is much tougher because the only thing that really keeps them grounded to the real world are the Si+Fe (or Te in INFP) functions that are both less-favored or repressed.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
"...Feeling can be a form of logic too..."
Awesome! That's what I was saying.

You're pretty much correct in your interpretation. Would you agree the bolded part could be called "harmonic organization"?
I think only if you're talking about Extraverted Feeling (checking yourself against an external standard). I think Introverted Feeling would be much more insistent on internal coherency (I suppose you could call that harmony, that's certainly the buzz word, but it may be an oversimplification). I'd have to dig into James Hillman to give a better definition.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
For example, we sometimes associate Ti-types (INTPs specifically) as being sort of lazy or undisciplined and assume that their Ne is responsible, but actually it's often due to their miserable Fe. Their ability to make effective value judgments about what is important right now, versus later is poorly developed or ignored, so their actions might be more likely to be more egocentric because of the downplay of being evaluating by the outside world. Fe is there to keep the Ti-dom grounded in the real world, so he doesn't get lost in his own subjectivity, but in INTPs (and INFPs too whose Je function is the inferior) it is much tougher because the only thing that really keeps them grounded to the real world are the Si+Fe (or Te in INFP) functions that are both less-favored or repressed.
Great example! I totally agree. One thing that came to mind that's interesting about this is how this is very very mildly reminiscent of how lobotomy victims have trouble functioning meaningfully (I really don't mean to over compare the extent of inferior Fe and this, but you get my drift). Knowing my INTP twin as well as I do, I think there's truth to this - they tend to have a lot of trouble knowing when meaningful times to act, do something, etc. based on external values are, or they're overly rigid about acting on what they gauge as meaningful and important (when the dominant function is behind it). The "all or nothing" nature of the inferior function, I think.

Reactions: madhatter and Owfin
1 - 8 of 8 Posts