Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are we born our MBTI type, as it says we are born our first Enneagram type? Do they both go hand in hand?

Is there a set path for our Enneagram, or does the rest of our trifix form through life experience?

I know abuse forms us all in some way.

I know that suffering allows wisdom once conquered.

I also know that people are born with their intellectual capacity. IQ being separate from wisdom.

Our cognitive functions, are they destined to be in a direction of the four main functions as soon as we are born, like for me, an INFJ, beginning with Ni as soon as I am formed as a fetus, or out of the womb?

Is there any answers to this?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I also know that people are born with their intellectual capacity. IQ being separate from wisdom.
If this were true humanity would have gone through a lot of mutations in recent (= lets say the last 50) years since overall IQ is rising. But species aren't mutating that fast (this takes some thousands of years at least for homo sapiens).

I think MBTI is taught in early years and is heavily influenced by outside factors for the rest of ones life, but with bigger influence in teenage years and a bit later (maybe early or late 20s?). I believe there is only a little influence by genes.

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,717 Posts
I think your childhood experiences have a lot to do with it. I tend to think personality development is a bit more nurture than nature, but I'm not entirely educated on the subject matter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've read from an article that our MBTI type will be the same throughout our lives, therefore we are born with it. However, I'm not quite convinced by this.
Recently I've been trying to recall how I thought and acted as a child and I noticed something different about me which was actually more classified as an INTJ's characteristic. As I grew, I learned to stop this habit (I prefer not to mention what it was) but some of it still remains inside of me. I know I'm an INPF. But sometimes I let go of what I really think about people and whenever I do, the words I say are quite cold and may actually insult them. I judge people and things rationally and rarely apply feelings. I see this as kind of an INTJ thing. But more INFP characteristics fit me, therefore I call myself an INFP. the tests I've taken also gave me INFP results (most of the time). It's just that I'm not quite sure if my MBTI type right now has been the same since I was born.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've read from an article that our MBTI type will be the same throughout our lives, therefore we are born with it. However, I'm not quite convinced by this.
Me neither.
There is a major fault with this argumentation. If a character trait or personality is present throughout one's life that doesn't mean one is born this way. If parents (especially mothers) never give their newborn child love and care for example and this child still manages to grow up, is he then born with all his possible (negative) character traits? If not giving love affects a child, then giving love necessarily affects a child, too. And their are numerous other factors that may influence one's personality. But I don't want to discount genes. Genes play a role, too. But not even genes stay the same throughout your life. Genes are activated and deactivated in accordance with your environment.

So, genes are changeable and our brain is very kneadable. No reason to believe MBTI-type can not change in a lifetime.

I still believe that fundamental character traits are heavily influenced by the very early years and genes, though. I believe you are "born" (= the condensed influences and genes of maybe your first year on earth) with your introversion and extraversion and your sensitivity and excitability.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I believe I wasn't born this way, I was forged this way by my environment. I'm willing to admit maybe introversion was genetic for me but that's it. I believe personality is as changeable as switching from dominant right hand to left hand. It's possible, but unlikely.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I personally believe that your dominant function - the basis of your personality type - develops very early in childhood and is your natural form that doesn't change. I believe that somebody is born with their natural function preferences, but that nurture has a great effect on how strong and well-developed these preferences become.

The important part to remember is that your MBTI type isn't your whole personality, it's a small part of it; a broad archetype that determines what your natural preferences regarding the psychological functions are. For example, you could (and most probably do) know a large number of ISFJs. You could be in a room surrounded by a number of ISFJs and yet you'll find that these individuals are likely to have many, many differences; despite also sharing some similar core traits.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts