Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's Theory Thursday. Come join us and share a theory that's been rolling around in your head :) Serious or silly.

I kind of feel bad because I've never really shared a theory for these things at all. Just blank right now ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've been wondering lately about our place in the universe.

Our sun is 4,5 billion years old. There has been life on earth since 3,5 billion years.
The universe is more than 13 billion years old.

That means that there could be a planet out there that has been harborring life 10 billion years longer than our earth. Wouldn't that life form be super-advanced, I mean Star Trek-style? Why haven't we had any visitors, when the chance of a superior alien race - with technology that would probably seem magic to us - is immensely great, even in our own Milky Way Galaxy?

Maybe Dynamo the Magician is an alien, who came here to make people smile and wonder, and make our kind a bit more cheerful?

Feww, I'm glad that's off my stomach.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I've had this dumb theory for years now, I think. I'll preface it by warning that brain aches are a common side effect :)

So, basically, every choice you make has an infinite number of alternative possibilities. For example, I just wrote this sentence with ten words. I could have written it with eight, or eleven. And the words could have been in a mixed-around order, or I could have said "for instance" instead of "for example," etc. The list goes on with even smaller alternatives, like how I waited two seconds between typing these next two words-- but I could have waited 1.9 seconds, or 1.95 seconds, or 5 seconds, or 12 hours. You can see how convoluted this is!

Well, the next part of the theory goes that each one of these alternate choices branches this reality off into billions of other realities. So there was a two-second parallel universe that existed where I actually did type "for instance" in the first paragraph. There was also another two-second reality where I typed "chicken feet" instead, and another where I misspelled "chicken feet" as "chichen feet," and another as "chiken feet," and so on... Then, after splintering off into an infinite number of tiny universes, those new branches would split into another round of infinite realities based on the choices I would make next.

So really, this reality in which I am living involves me typing every word out exactly how I just did, and correcting my wording in exactly the same way, and fixing my hair the same number of times, and taking the exact time to type out this response, and blinking the same amount of times with the right number of seconds in between each one. And trillions upon trillions of new realities have just been created where I did all of that in minutely different ways (or in extremely different ways).

And that was only all of the realities revolving around ONE person for about FIVE MINUTES. The number of branched realities for all seven billion of us, and for every insect, animal, and plant, and for thousands of years is astronomically huge-- too huge to comprehend.

Is your brain hurting yet?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Why haven't we had any visitors, when the chance of a superior alien race - with technology that would probably seem magic to us - is immensely great, even in our own Milky Way Galaxy?
The biggest reason why they haven't found us would be the vast distance between solar systems. Even considering that something could travel at the physical speed limit that is the speed of light [299 792 458 m/s) it would still take hundreds if not thousands of years to get to us. The closest star to our system is Alpha Centauri which is 4.3 light years away, and the rest of the galaxy is even further away.

Another problem would be how to observe other systems that are far away because of how time is relative. If someone at Alpha Centauri would point a giant telescope towards earth they would see what was on earth 4.3 years earlier. Because the light reflecting the image of earth would take that long to reach the telescope.

Here's a fun little site displaying the size relevance of the universe: The Scale of the Universe 2

Use the scroll to either zoom in on the atoms or out into space.

Hope this clears up any confusion you might have.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
I've been wondering lately about our place in the universe.

Our sun is 4,5 billion years old. There has been life on earth since 3,5 billion years.
The universe is more than 13 billion years old.

That means that there could be a planet out there that has been harborring life 10 billion years longer than our earth. Wouldn't that life form be super-advanced, I mean Star Trek-style? Why haven't we had any visitors, when the chance of a superior alien race - with technology that would probably seem magic to us - is immensely great, even in our own Milky Way Galaxy?

Maybe Dynamo the Magician is an alien, who came here to make people smile and wonder, and make our kind a bit more cheerful?

Feww, I'm glad that's off my stomach.
Well, if you want to relate it to Star Trek, the Federation has that Prime Directive thing that keeps them from making contact with a new species until they have warp drive/similar technology, so as not to 'corrupt' those species with more advanced tech than they can reasonably handle.

Could be the same thing for advanced aliens finding us. Even if they know about us right now, they may be choosing to wait to make contact until we are ready with a similar level of technology to their own. And if they are able to watch our news or anything, they'll know we're hardly ready to meet aliens right now anyway. We can't even unite with ourselves, what with wars and riots and all that jazz.

And honestly, if there are aliens out there wanting to meet us, I hope they're like that. Because if they're not, they'll not be concerned with how we might deal with them and will be here to conquer or kill us for our resources instead. And if they travelled all the way over here to do that, I doubt we'd be able to stop them.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
The biggest reason why they haven't found us would be the vast distance between solar systems. Even considering that something could travel at the physical speed limit that is the speed of light [299 792 458 m/s) it would still take hundreds if not thousands of years to get to us. The closest star to our system is Alpha Centauri which is 4.3 light years away, and the rest of the galaxy is even further away.

Another problem would be how to observe other systems that are far away because of how time is relative. If someone at Alpha Centauri would point a giant telescope towards earth they would see what was on earth 4.3 years earlier. Because the light reflecting the image of earth would take that long to reach the telescope.

Here's a fun little site displaying the size relevance of the universe: The Scale of the Universe 2

Not only that, but there's also millions upon millions of stars, and then multiply that by the planets that might be circling each one. The chances the planet some alien race is actively studying ALSO has life let alone ALSO is inhabited by us personally...pretty small.

·
Registered
417 Posts

Oh, come on.

Haven't you seen Contact?

......................... ;)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
This is not a theory, just a weird quirky situation, but...I was recently in Kathmandu, Nepal (Boudha, actually), studying Buddhism and Tibetan language at a monastery (a branch of Kathmandu University). Anyway, I was there during the recent earthquake, camped for much of the time in a camp in a field behind the monastery. I returned to the U.S. on the 7th of May and will be going back on the 8th or so of June. I recently bought an airline ticket for $108. A couple of days ago I took my mother's car in for a brake job, and the price was $108. 108 is an auspicious number in Buddhist circles. These are the only "significant" numbers I have encountered thus far since returning.

Yesterday, I was buying a couple of pair of jeans (the price was $51, so meh) and I found a ten rupee Nepali note at the counter with Nepali writing on the back. It may have come from my pocket, but it did not seem so, as I had taken all the Nepali money from my wallet and washed my shorts several times since arriving in the U.S. I left the note on the counter. I was so taken aback that I had difficulty interacting with the cashier.

I am not given to magical thinking, and more than likely the note did come from my pocket in some manner. That said, 108 has been coming up with some regularity in my life over the last few years (particularly with hotel/guest house room numbers). I have no theory on the matter and consider myself an (weakish) atheist. It is certainly nothing more than coincidence (in which I am a firm "believer"). Nevertheless, I found this incident interesting.

As far as life other than that found on this planet, the Fermi Paradox is interesting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts