Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Not an original theory by any means but... Andy's mother in Toy Story was Jessie's previous owner.

In that clip you'll see Jessie's previous owner with Jessie's hat. Andy wears that same hat.

Considering barely anyone knew who Woody's Round Up Gang were, we can only assume Andy got that hat from his mother.

How blown are your minds right now? :laughing:

·
Registered
493 Posts
I just love a place on the internet where there is a thread called Theory Thursdays. Nice!

Hows this for deep. The theory I'm pondering is that some people are keeping themselves unhappy. Its hardly original. :) But its a new toy for my mind to play with right now from the perspective from which it came into my mind. Good times.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Got a theory buzzing around in your brain? Today is the day to share it. It can be about absolutely anything (serious or silly).
What happens now is a reflection of what happened before. It's the surface of two mirrors, one facing the other. One mirror is the past, the other mirror is the present. Let's say there's a face in each, and let's say the Face of the Past is frowning. It frowns because it's waiting. The Past waits.

Now, the Face of the Present sees the frowning Face of the Past. The Face of the Present frowns, because it sees a frowning Face. And that is the news, world events, recycled cycles of life and death, repeated patterns, reruns.

But what would happen if the Face of the Present decided to smile? What would happen if the Present smiled at the Past? What would happen if the Face of the Present held that smile forever?

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I'll toss a few in the ring.

*People are more incline to remember your avatar than your username on here.
*When it comes to more serious posts, overtime the "Thanks" system alters how you express yourself on here based on that subtle feedback you get (or lack thereof).

Beyond the forums~

There's a saying that many (not all) women look to date someone that's like their father. I suspect that's because in a traditional household a daughter often takes on a role akin to a mother/wife of sorts, but they rarely have overlapping responsibilities that a father would. In other words, later on in life there's that "need" for someone that embodies the traits of their father as the missing piece to their puzzle. I'll expand this by saying that I think many relationships are often similar to conventional family dynamics. Some guys date girls that basically act as a mother to them, some girls date guys that are like a father, some people date someone that's like a brother (that may bully or protect you) or a sister.

[HR][/HR]

Love, or what may be interpreted as love, can be a shortcut to helping or healing people. I say shortcut because I believe it's easier to get someone to fall in love with you, or at least believe they are, than it is to serve as a pseudo counsellor or therapist of sorts and actually get some results.

[HR][/HR]

Sexual

For men, I suspect that if you continually pee in the shower you slowly condition yourself so that similar warm + wet environments, like sex with a girl, stimulate you in certain ways that make you basically more prone to that sexual release a bit earlier than you would otherwise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a theory that our dollar is about to collapse, and life is going to get very hard this year. Between July and October. JADE HELM and the zombie exercises they're training pilots with... Department of homeland security has more bullets per member than army. Hollow points. There is a reason for this. You don't use hollow points for target practice. Research these things on the internet. Read revelations. Shit's about to get real.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jebediah, she dropped her off in a donation box. I need to watch the movies again. I only watched the first two. Need to play them for the kids. Thanks for reminding me.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have a theory that my body masks a soul that looks much different than the rest of the world...

Oh, serious?
That was. ;)
But here's another- I have a theory that WiFi will one day be like pot at Burning Man. Everywhere and free for everybody!

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
I know it's Friday, but who cares. Theory knows no time limits right? ;)

Anyways, just reading this, concerning the common fallacious narratives used to frame how the world is: Beware the Too Compelling Narrative | The Art of Manliness

I bring this up, because I myself have noticed many of these false narratives and have had to challenge them myself. I can relate to the example given at the beginning where people will rave about the latest trend and fad as if it's truly new, yet I myself know all too well that it isn't. It's almost a recycling of old ideas in new form.

The "rise and fall" narrative is all too common in many of the pop culture threads on this forum. This is also common to religious threads, where people continually predict the demise of religion due to several factors. I critically refuted many of these premises before in one thread.

Sorry if I'm being incoherent here, my mind is rather swimming with thoughts here on the issue, which corresponds to theories I've long entertained on the issue. Reality is so multi-facted, more so than many narratives that are presented give credit to. As such, there's almost any number of angles and paradigms one can examine the issue, which is one reason I often struggle to coherently explain what I mean - there's simply so much to explain!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Oh It's not Thursday, but if I don't post it, Ill forget it ;).

I have a theory that dreams don't occur while *sleeping*, but at the end of it, like the last 10-15 mins of REM state. We remember then as soon as we wake up because they're fresh, and our short memory keeps them for a while. Why we forget them..?

... discover it the next Thursday.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
Love, or what may be interpreted as love, can be a shortcut to helping or healing people. I say shortcut because I believe it's easier to get someone to fall in love with you, or at least believe they are, than it is to serve as a pseudo counsellor or therapist of sorts and actually get some results.
The best predictor of quality of (professional) therapy is the relationship between the therapist and their client. Ones that are more based on trust and a sense of "unconditional love" (nevermind one party is paying the other) are the ones that succeed more frequently.

It's also fairly common for the client to develop a crush for their therapist, because of this illusion of "love" they're receiving.

So anyway, you're not half off. :happy:

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
I have a theory that infjs would be the most amazing socal engineers ever. Though the more you know the more you feel like this is all just the matrix and that we mind fuck ourselves and that it really sucks, some things will never happen because of just everything. Social Engineering would be the silver lining. Something I would be (or any infj I imagine) would be amazing at. I missed my calling :(

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
I theorize that this thread will recieve most of its posts on days other than the titular Thursday, and indeed, if it were the reverse it would die out rather quickly.

There's also a theory floating about that I can be a snarky fellow at times, but perhaps that is more rumor than theory. :tongue:

·
Registered
INTP (I thimk) 5w
17,176 Posts
I have a theory that dreams don't occur while *sleeping*, but at the end of it, like the last 10-15 mins of REM state. We remember then as soon as we wake up because they're fresh, and our short memory keeps them for a while. Why we forget them..?
INTP here who is fond of theory. I've had many dreams. I can note them if woken. This can happen three hours into sleep or an hour before normal wake time. Many times I've noted 3am and 6am dreams. If that happens I have to struggle to recall them by telling myself the story before going back to full sleep. The earlier the dream the more symbolic or "deep" it seems to be. Not sure why that is.

·
Registered
790 Posts
INTP here who is fond of theory. I've had many dreams. I can note them if woken. This can happen three hours into sleep or an hour before normal wake time. Many times I've noted 3am and 6am dreams. If that happens I have to struggle to recall them by telling myself the story before going back to full sleep. The earlier the dream the more symbolic or "deep" it seems to be. Not sure why that is.
Interesting, but at what time exactly do you remember them? Can you recall them hours later?
In those 3 am dreams, did you wake up exactly after they happened?

·
Registered
INTP (I thimk) 5w
17,176 Posts
Interesting, but at what time exactly do you remember them? Can you recall them hours later?
In those 3 am dreams, did you wake up exactly after they happened?
Good questions. To recall any dream later, I have to be aware with the tiniest clue I'm dreaming. I wouldn't recall them hours later, say when I awake unless I cue myself to note what the dream is about on waking. Hard to describe. If I were to be in deep sleep the whole night through, I wouldn't remember anything. It's the slight wake up, say if I have to go to the bathroom, that says I have a dream. To remember it, requires practice. I am very drousy but awake enough to go over the dream in as much detail as I think is important. I try to remember one word, say, "office" if the dream is about something at an office. Then when it's time to wake up in the morning I remember, "office." That's enough to write the dream down before the day's activity erase my memory.

At 3am I have to decide whether to bother to remember. For me it depends on whether I want to or not. If dream is matter-of-fact routine I might not bother. If the dream is highly emotional and I feel panic, since I'm a thinker, I might want to remember it so I can later try to figure out what prompted that panic.

Oddly enough I lose no sleep in this process. If I'm pleased to remember or know I'm going to remember it's relaxing and I go right back to sleep. I would give even more detail only I understand that's for "Theory Thursday." :laughing:

Reactions: Maidelane
1 - 20 of 20 Posts