Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over at falkenblog, the blogger is discussing how the left and right sides of the brain deal with theory vs data.

The interesting part is where he discusses how a light that goes off 80% of the time to different sides of the brain is interpreted.:
Our narrative brain theorizes and is often wrong, but of course it does the best it can. Interestingly, the left side, the language side, is the theorizer. Thus, if you show the left brain a sequence of lights that flash above the line 80% of the time, rats and pigeons and 4-year olds do better than adults because our left, theorizing side, tries to guess which one will be above or below the line, matching only the relative frequency, but wasting many choices below the line. We basically become dominated by our wacky, theorizing left side around age 5, which as any parent will tell you, is well before reasoning has been perfected.

In contrast, if you merely show the pattern to the right side of the brain, as Michael Gazzaniga has done with his studies of split-brain patients, the right side is a simple bayesian, and goes with the frequentists approach (see his book Who's in Charge?). So, half our brain is a simple bayesian looking at data without much theory, the other half a theorist trying to integrate, analyze, and generalize.
Is it just me, or does that sound a lot like sensing vs intuition?

·
Registered
355 Posts
When I am focusing on my future plans or visualising how I want the future to look (which I do a lot!) I find myself moving my eyes to the extreme right hand corner. I know an INTJ who seems to do this too. Now, I remember learning somewhere that information coming from the right visual field travels to the left hemisphere of the brain. This would perhaps fit with the idea of intuition being located in the left hemisphere.

·
Banned
554 Posts
eye direction and brain direction in that regard is also related to deception and manipulation.

Reactions: bellisaurius

·
Banned
554 Posts
What do you mean? Could you explain further?
left side - deception, manipulation, making something up - theory its not exact, not concrete, a lot of ambiguity
right side - data, facts, statistics, when people look to the right they often are not deceiving information, they are disclosing information that has happened, is real, can be measured accurately erc.

the fabricator will look to his left, the truth speaker will look to his left.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
left side - deception, manipulation, making something up - theory its not exact, not concrete, a lot of ambiguity
right side - data, facts, statistics, when people look to the right they often are not deceiving information, they are disclosing information that has happened, is real, can be measured accurately erc.

the fabricator will look to his left, the truth speaker will look to his left.
I'm not sure I agree with this one. I'm more than capable of keeping my gaze fixed if I choose to. As a matter of fact I have a tendency towards my eyes wandering almost ALL the time. If my gaze is fixed I'm actually concentrating, and the likelihood that I'm up to something is somewhat higher.

Reactions: n.yumikim

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with this one. I'm more than capable of keeping my gaze fixed if I choose to. As a matter of fact I have a tendency towards my eyes wandering almost ALL the time. If my gaze is fixed I'm actually concentrating, and the likelihood that I'm up to something is somewhat higher.
agreed.

the eye thing is different for everyone; the study explicitly has a disclaimer on that.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think this what my wife is focusing on when she asks about what I'm thinking, being much more still and focused. Now, I just have to learn how to fake my normal way of looking around...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts