Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm writing my thesis about "manly" female heroes in fantasy and sci-fi.
I decided to write about females that are somehow different from the normal female characters.
A male hero is most often an introvert and either a Ti user of Te user (The strong quiet type). So I wanted to talk about female heroes that have been typed as IxTj or IxTP. The problem is that I'm not agreeing with myself on some of their typing so I'm hoping some of you geniuses could help me argue why they CAN indeed fit in these categories. These are of course fictional characters and not real persons but anyway - you know how heated conversations can get when discussing a type of a fictional character. :wink: Also if you have any other ideas about introverted female heroes from (mostly fantasy or scifi) books or movies that have Ti or Te as a second function. I'm in real need of INTJ's btw. :confused:

Here is a list of the characters I'm writing about.

Brienne of Tarth (Song of Ice and Fire) : I'm writing her as an ISTJ even though I'm pretty sure she might be an ISFJ.
Katniss Everdeen (Hunger Games): I'm hoping to write her as an INTJ even though I think she might be ISTJ (I'm in real lack of female heroes that are INTJ as you can imagine.)
Eowyn (Lord of the Rings): I'm writing about her as an ISTP thought I'm almost certain she is an ISFP.
Tris (Devergent): ISTP and I'm pretty certain.
Hermione (Harry Potter): ISTJ and I'm pretty certain. (If someone can convince me she's an INTJ, please do)

Other characters I might include:

Arya Stark (Game of Thrones)
: I might write her as an ISTP thought I think she's probably ISFP.
Lyra (His Dark Materials: In hope she could be an ISTP
Ripley (Aliens): Obvious ISTP. I'm trying to keep them more book related but I might make an exception. :)
Susan (Narnia): ISTJ?

Brienne_S3.jpg

·
Registered
242 Posts
Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter: INTP
Selina Kyle/Catwoman from DC Comics: ISTP
Gamora from Guardians of the Galaxy: ISTP
Alice from The Magicians (book): INTJ

I think Hermione is an ESTJ, but I'm not sure.
Brienne: I agree with ISTJ (but she might be an ISFJ in the loop)
Katniss: ISTJ
Eowyn: I don't really know, people type her ISTP, INFP and ISFP.
Arya: ISTP
Ripley: INTJ
Susan: ISTJ all the way

Good luck with your thesis.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hermione is an ESTJ in the movies, and an ISTJ in the books.

Myka (Warehouse 13), Diana (The 4400) and Eve Baird (The Librarians) are all ESTJs
Claudia Donovan (Warehouse 13) and Zoe Carter (Eureka) are both ENTPs
Black Widow (Marvel) is generally typed ISTP.
Sydney Bristow (Alias) is an ESTP.

The only INTJ female heroine in fantasy/sci-fi outside of an Ayn Rand novel I can think of is Siuan Sanche from the Wheel of Time. I haven't read the Magicians. There are also good examples of other Thinker female heroes in Wheel of Time, like Min Farshaw (INTP) and Aviendha (ISTJ). And anti-heroes like Tuon and Lanfear (ENTJ) and Graendal (ENTP).

My favorite INTP in science fiction is a hero in her own right, though not in a traditional way, Rebecca Abrabanel from the 1632 series.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Idk how broad you want to go in your thesis, but there are a fair number of xSFP heroines that I could see being worth mentioning, even if they're used to contrast the thinker heroines. Maybe you could talk about them as the female equivalent to the high Te male superhero...pinpointing how their Fi is the counterpart to these masculinzed portrayals of Te? I could see that being extremely relevant when talking about the role of female heroines as a response to feminism, like with Wonder Woman, considering that her creator was likely an xNTJ type (or at least, that's the vibe I get when hearing about Marston).

You can discuss Arya, Daenerys (if you type her as ISFP), Eleven from Stranger Things...there are many others (that I can't think of off the top of my head atm lol).

If you don't mind using Disney characters, you can argue ISTJ and even INTJ for Elsa. Apparently Imperator Furious from Mad Max is an ENTJ. Princess Leia is frequently typed as ESTJ.

Rey from Star Wars can be argued as ISTJ, ISTP, or ISFP, though I personally think she's Se-Ni.

Apparently Violet Baudelaire from A Series of Unfortunate Events is an INTP, and Jessica Jones could be argued as one possible maybe?

Idk if you're using anime but Mikasa from Attack on Titan could be argued as INTJ as well, even though she's likely ISTJ...I feel like you'll have to BS the INTJ females sadly :(

That's all I got. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Louise Banks (Arrival) - INFJ
Sarah Connor (Terminator) - ISTP
Trinity (The Matrix) - ISTP

I don't know if anime counts, but...

Lain Iwakura (Serial Experiments Lain) - INTP
Kino (Kino no Tabi) - ISTP
Princess Mononoke (Princess Mononoke/Mononoke Hime) - ISxP (ISTP is my guess).
Chihiro (Spirited Away) - INFP
There is Makise Kurisu from Steins;Gate, but I am not sure about her type.

How manly some these characters are sure is up to debate, but since you mentioned Hermione, I think you really meant the quotation marks you put in manly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you so much! @Reila :D But I definitely meant those quotation marks :D I know Hermione isn't "manly" haha.
Just trying to make it simple in the text. But at first I meant to look at some "manly" women (like warrior kind) like Eowyn and Brienne and possibly Katniss.. who have all at some point been typed as ISTP. so then I thought about ISTP women but I could not see any of them (other than possibly Eowyn (before she completely throws her personality to the side for love :shame:) and Brienne definitely isn't one and I can't make myself write about her as one - Way too Si. So now I'm thinking of putting them in groups instead and talk about more of them heroes/heroines. :) I'm trying to keep following the stereotype of the strong and silent male hero who is in most cases introverted and non-feeling. So that's Why I'm only taking women that are IxTJ and IxTP. At least all of them are somehow different from the "typical feminine characters" :)

Thanks again.

One idea of groups (with examples of characters):
1. Warrior Women : Brienne (ISTJ) and Eowyn (ISTP)
2. Nerds/Geeks: Hermione (ISTJ) and Luna (INTP)
3. Rebels: Katniss (INTJ - this hurts my eyes she is so ISTJ in many cases but I need an INTJ and I think i ) and - maybe Ray? (ISTP)

I definitely could use some anime/manga characters. i even thought about writing about the differences of western female heroes and japanese/eastern female heroes but decided to to this instead. This is a Literature Thesis but it's all basically the same (we share so many classes with cinematography students and my supervisor told me that I could not just ignore that most of these characters have been filmed ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much @fresh.
This is a very very good point.
I did actually think about doing something similar. The only problem is that it might get too broad for a BA thesis. But let's see.
The ISFP heroines are especially common I think! I even see Eowyn as more Fi-Se than Ti-Se.
Maybe I will change it. :) But Rey is a good point. I can definitely see her as an ISTP! I might include her :p
And yes - I did actually think about Mikasa - as an ISTJ probably. Had forgotten about her. Thank you. And yes.... I feel I really need to BS those INTJ's :upset: Seems INTJs are way too sterotyped in fiction as some men who are either villains or antiheroes. Quite annoying. :) I think Amy from Gone girl might be a good INTJ - possibly (need to watch it again) but I can't start including Thriller characters or the Thesis will be way to broad :p I'm gonna try to keep it Fantasy/Sci-fi - at least as much as I can.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks @TyranAmiros

Yeah, I'm using the books mostly so I'm gonna keep hermione as an ISTJ. :D
I need to check out those INTJ's and INTP. Don't know all of those books. Clearly need to broaden my view of Fantasy/sci-fi. :D

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Ellen Ripley was already mentioned as an INTJ exemplar, but let's not forget Clarice Starling.

And here's classic Ripley in her 1979 "lunarcore" duds.

Reactions: chocolatefox
1 - 11 of 11 Posts