Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about this for a while.

Of course we aren't all the same robotic mould of each other, and we all have different levels of social and cultural conditioning. So what things do we find ourselves doing - natural or nurtured or otherwise - that aren't typical of the INTP stereotype?

I'll start:

- I have a severe hatred for the realm of non-scientific fantasy - e.g. dragons, elves, magic potions, WoW, LoTR, etc. It's all just other peoples' whimsical and unfounded ideas, with readers getting sucked in and following it as a form of cult. The only person to amply justify such escapism was JRR Tolkein in his essay, 'On Fairy Stories'.

That's just one example. Please don't hate on me or counter-argue it. I know most people quite like fantasy things. It's just a personal opinion of mine which I think may go against the grain of the typical INTP mindset. It seems more like an INTJ or ISTP attitude, maybe? I dunno.

I'll try to think of more if this thread sees some interest.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I like physical activity's, such as, sports, running and being competitive. Is this out of the norm?

Oh, I am pretty sure this is. I don't like reading, but I have a reason why.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am terrible at debating.

I could not formulate a rational, well put together argument to save my life.

But then again, maybe I'm just setting my personal standards too high, which is a very INTP thing to do.
NA, I'm not sure the INTPs I know have been that great at debate at all. They are good at not seeing that your argument smothers their assumption to smithereens always hopeful that there must be something out there that might still make them right.
:)
But then again, maybe you guys are good at debate but I don't see it as an INTJ.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I hate writing. It's too subjective for me...
I play sports.
I have somewhat of a perfectionist personality (type A), which is bad considering how disorganized/lazy I am.

Reactions: grandpa2390

·
Registered
257 Posts
-I don't learn for the sake of learning I learn because I'm am or eventually going to actually apply that knowledge in some way shape or form in the external environment.
-I enjoy objective facts over subjective thinking
-I don't have low self esteem or lack confidence
-Not indecisive

·
Registered
745 Posts
-I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like I'm the only INTP who doesn't get straight A's in school. I've almost failed a class or two every year of high school so far. I only get A's in classes I find relevant or helpful for me in the long run (math and science are not one of them *GASP*)

-Fantasy and most science fiction honestly never did anything for me either, you're not alone there.

-I seem to be the only INTP who actually loves hip hop music.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Sometimes when I'm alone I pretend I'm actually an INTP.

Reactions: Wolfrahm

·
Registered
168 Posts
-I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like I'm the only INTP who doesn't get straight A's in school. I've almost failed a class or two every year of high school so far. I only get A's in classes I find relevant or helpful for me in the long run (math and science are not one of them *GASP*)

-I seem to be the only INTP who actually loves hip hop music.
You're not alone in these.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
-Being ENTP (meh).

-l like food.

-l can uh, ''cook''. No guarantees.

-l mostly debate internally, and in fact l like it better that way...although maybe this is more INTP-ish.

-l also dislike science fiction, and have limited mental space for fiction in general that l ration very selectively.

-l can't solve a Rubik's cube and l can't even really be bothered to affect one in any way whatsoever, although recently l was wondering if Ni/Se or Se/Ni might take more naturally to this.

·
Registered
938 Posts
--I get angry pretty easily... road rage is pretty common for me. Revenge is always first on my mind when I'm pissed.

--Eh, I wouldn't say I'm intelligent. I'm pretty sure I have a lower IQ than the average INTP. I can get As, but I can only take a few classes in college. I don't like failure, so I prefer to take a few classes so I'm actually learning, not just... getting by.

--I DO get really emotional and if it gets too much I usually will just get up and leave, usually at the worst times to leave.

--I suck at spelling and grammar. I suck at my only language, Engrish. Although I get a lot of glorified complements from teachers and professors who want me to write a book, I still put so much effort and time into a simple essay. People say that I'm very smart (smartness is subjective) but I work very hard and put more time than the average person just to do good enough, the only issue is that other people just don't try.

--Sometimes I get excited and jump to conclusion, much like an ENTP. This tends to lead to holes in my argument... and leads to me to having to vastly edit spelling and grammar errors. Sometimes I wonder if I'm Ne dominant.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
Not a big fan of neutrality (still like abstract and "gray" thinking though), I like contingency plans and I don't like reading for pleasure all too much.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Very into being on time (to the point of being slightly neurotic about it) and wouldn't ever miss a deadline (or even do work close to one) - most of the time, but sometimes if I start feeling 'empty' I can end up cramming. I like to get all my work done ages in advance so I have time to alter it later. I'm also not massively messy.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I love money and strive for luxury. My dream is to have a lavish mansion with all kinds of luxuries.

I hate being INTP, whereas most INTPs seem to enjoy it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I genuinely like people, and prefer to think optimistically of their behaviour rather than cynically apathetic. I believe in common courtesies, social formalities, natural respect, and adherence to well-defined moral principles.

And I suck at computers.

·
Registered
INTP
1,752 Posts
-I don't like cats. I'm actually a dog person.

-I like outdoorsy things, mainly hiking, canoeing and camping.

-Fantasy and most science fiction don't do anything for me. Too much is fluffy and stupid. Only "hard sci-fi" is actually good, like what Stephen Baxter writes. Dragons and elves and shit are lame. Star Wars is lame. One thing I never understood is why so many alien races are humanoid when there are no common ancestors. It doesn't make any sense and I can't get over this fact whenever I'm watching/reading "sci-fi" with aliens that are humanoid.

-I'm an artist... good enough to have done serious commissions and make money off of it ((not enough to live, but enough to pay for my hobbies and art supplies)).

Don't worry, you're not alone in that. I wasn't a straight A student in high school by any stretch of the imagination. I only got A's in the subjects I actually cared about and like you, the ones I found relevant for my interests. Trying to get A's in EVERYTHING is a real waste of time/energy P:

Reactions: TriggerHappy923

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I think the universe is essentially irrational.

I am on the verge to deem art higher then science.

Truth is nothing objective imo. The nominalization of the word true is certainly one of the dumbest things ever made. True is only an adjective a statement might or might not have.

I don´t idealize the search for truth. Rather it seems to be a product of evolution, that we try to find out which theories/propositions are non-sense and which are not, because the epistemic aspect is closely linked to the practical one. (random example: the idea that the oven plate is dangerous is obviously helpful. In the opposite case we would have a bad time)

I am not really into science fiction as well.

I don´t know one programming language.

In school I did only what was neccesary, often skipped class and get tons of D´s.

I genuinely enjoy watching wrestling.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Odd that so many people here consider liking sci-fi and fantasy to be INTP things. From what I've seen, I've concluded the exact opposite, and I sometimes feel more like an INFP due to my preference for fiction over non-fiction, to the point where I started college as an English Major rather than Physics or Computer Science.

Also the idea that INTPs get good grades seems to be unrealistic. I'd imagine many INTPs find the basic education provided before college to be complete wastes of time, and they probably learn more outside of school than in it, leading to a lack of motivation to do the boring, repetitive work most classes require. I almost failed one class where I got As and Bs on every quiz/test because I had better things to do than homework.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts