Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've compiled a list of the things I have done for some time already in attempting to venture out of my usual old comfort zone
  • I've expanded some of my interests. For example, I become more passionate in studying why people have certain interests that are different from mine.
  • I've made promises to myself to stand up for my views more often if I know I'm right, and they work.
  • I've showed more passion in talking about imagination, idealism and dreams even though in the past I usually went a bit shy when it comes to talking about those things.
  • I tend to see the bigger picture of things more often rather than only things that benefit my very personal subjective system.
  • I become more honest with my flaws, but not enough until I allow people to hurt me emotionally.
Can any of those be beneficial for other INFP's? Just wondering.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I would say that leaving your comfort zone can always be beneficial in some respect or another, depends really if the benefit is one you are looking for.

I think all objects need to grow or will grow, e.g just like a flower growing too big for its pot and needing to be replanted elsewhere. Comes down to whether that growth is positive or negative growth in your eyes. I think comfort zones are too safe yet ultimately too stagnant. I believe all comfort zones do not want to change but the world does and they will find themselves bending long before the rest of the world does. So learning to be comfortable outside the established comfort zone helps it bend, change and adjust to the changes occuring around it all the time.

A few of your points to me seem to embody increased assertion or confidence in your beliefs. I would say these are good traits for any INFP to strive towards (or perhaps any introvert) if you can nurture its growth whilst remaining true to who you are. But it comes down to you in the end and what you believe I think.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I'm working on it too.

Attempt at balancing my Introversion in order to be socially fulfilled:
Yesterday I actually left the house. I wandered around in the fog playing a wooden flute, dressed in my homemade clothes. I must have seemed crazy, but somehow it went well. I even got a guy's phone number, and had conversations with strangers. (Then I came home and slept for about eight hours, because it was draining.)

Attempt at balancing my Feeling in order to increase my empathy for people I would usually consider threatening:
I have been exploring sections other than the INFP section, asking questions of scary people in order to figure them out and make them less scary.

Attempt at balancing my iNtuition in order to become more in tune with physical reality:
I've been making hand-crafted items without necessarily feeling the need to make them all meaningful on a non-aesthetic level. Yesterday I felt almost giddy while fabric shopping, and focused on enjoying the fabric for its textures and patterns rather than because 'Ooh, this one has dragonflies on it, and dragonflies are a symbol for transformation and renewal since they can be associated with both air and water, and air represents...." :laughing:

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I've been trying harder to look strangers in the eye when I talk to them. I've also been trying harder to ease up when talking to strangers. Talk to them like I already know them, like I already know they are cool people, like they are my friends, like they understand me and I understand them. Just using a different voice inflection, smiling and letting them into my space. Trying to be more casual and less on-guard.

I've been wearing lipstick every day. Trying to actually care about what I look like rather than just getting by wearing whatever was clean easiest to throw on. Trying to make a good impression rather than always being invisible.

I'm trying to sit comfortably in my faults. Acknowledging when I screwed up, when I don't have the best intentions, and being ok with it. Not being so hard on myself. Giving myself permission to be free rather than letting other people tell me what to do with myself and feeling caged. Knowing that my freedom isn't always going to be a good thing and may have consequences. Accepting those consequences.

Being comfortable with my sexuality. This is a big one for me right now. I'm trying to sort through a bunch of shit that's wayyy back in my mind, has been there forever, and has never seen the light of day. I've been gradually letting that part of myself out of its protective layer to be free and able to accept myself in that aspect. I want to be ok with it one of these days. Baby steps.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm trying to sit comfortably in my faults. Acknowledging when I screwed up, when I don't have the best intentions, and being ok with it. Not being so hard on myself. Giving myself permission to be free rather than letting other people tell me what to do with myself and feeling caged. Knowing that my freedom isn't always going to be a good thing and may have consequences. Accepting those consequences.

Thank you, inspiring words :happy:

·
Registered
88 Posts
[*]I've showed more passion in talking about imagination, idealism and dreams even though in the past I usually went a bit shy when it comes to talking about those things.
Definitely something I've been wanting to do for a long time. It seems like imagination is something that mainstream society is seriously lacking as far as I can tell, so sometimes I feel like such a loner when I spout a bunch of crazy stuff that's roaming around in my head. I've come to realize though that even if people think I'm a little crazy, deep down they know I'm being myself and most people will respect that in the end - myself included. I'm banking on the hope that my imagination will keep me feeling young and optimistic for a bit longer than the average bear...*crosses fingers*

·
Registered
128 Posts
Attending more social events and attempting to meet new people is what I'm doing right now.
I'm not too comfortable in social settings so I'm guessing that I'll get used to it by going to many of them.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I'm waging an assault on my social anxiety and prior poor self image by attempting to go to the gym on the regular.
A younger me used to really dislike my appearance, and in my head that ugly duckling will always be a part of me.
I guess engaging in regular physical activity in front of people :unsure: is my attempt at realizing myself as the mediocrely swan ish type I have become.
I am also the only "alternative" looking person at my gym, so people stare, which I hate. However, it is helping me get over my fear of perceived or real judging eyes, and inhibitions about unfamiliar human interaction in general.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Several years ago I decided to stop saying "no" to reasonable offers of new experiences. I used decline something new that I didn't know much about, so I wouldn't try new foods, new places, new people. Now, I may have initial resistance, but I remind myself to just try things. It has brought me a lot of things I never would have known! I've met great new people.

In some ways it has made me bolder. I've taken trips on my own that I usually would have just missed out on. I try cooking things I've never even eaten before. If I could have afforded it, I would have moved to England all on my own. All in all, being more experimental has made me more comfortable with myself.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Pretty much what ii V I said. Going to the gym is one of the most out-of-comfort-zone things I've done, and it helps in so many levels.

I was feeling too out of touch with reality. I didn't take care of myself, didn't go out, etc. I was not feeling ok, but not doing much about it either.

It's been a couple of years since I started going out more, going out with different people, and now it's been about 6 months since I started gym. I'm not exactly feeling great, but I'm definately better than before.

I remember the first time I went to a club. I was dancing completely self conscious, trying to figure out what I should do, I saw some people stepping away from me and felt horrible. Then I just stood by a wall, watching everybody. I stood there for some time, then went home early.
Nowadays I actually enjoy going to these places. But I can't ignore lousy music, it is a HUGE turnoff for me if the place has terrible music.

Life is made of experiences, and it's generally a good thing to step out of your comfort zone and experimenting.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Going to the gym is one of the most out-of-comfort-zone things I've done, and it helps in so many levels.
That reminds me of the big thing I did from trying new things. I ran a marathon! It taught me a lot of physical discipline that I had never known before. Working out can help so much, and a gym is totally not a natural INFP place! Great point!

Reactions: ii V I and refugee

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm going into my last year of high school next year, and two of the courses I'm considering taking involve public speaking/performing and social interaction. I'm going to have go to a college by myself to meet up with a college professor and other such things.
I can't just be a wallflower in those classes if I do decide to go through with it.
I'm scared, but I know I'll regret it if I don't do it.

Also, we have something called a senior project which involves a 20 minute long presentation
given in front of FOUR ADULTS.

I'm scared out of my mind.

Yes, public speaking and one on one social interaction is WAY out of my comfort zone. and I'm going to have to do it, and do it well. :sad:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, public speaking and one on one social interaction is WAY out of my comfort zone. and I'm going to have to do it, and do it well. :sad:
You'll be fine! I'm getting close to the end of Design college now, and through this years, I've had lots and lots of presentations, very long presentations to do.

In my school years, I was terrified of presentations, I'd always look straight to the wall in the back of the classroom, and speak everything quickly. Then, this changed after practice in college, and eventually you'll see how great it is to speak in public about a project where you worked very hard and feel proud about the result, then see people admiring it.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
@Innocent Civilian - Do you know the four people at all? I use an easy trick with a group like that where I just treat it like I am talking to my friends, even if I only slightly know the people. It warms them up, which eases me

If you like acting, you could get into character. I've done that for presentations, too. If not, just be yourself as best you can.

Reactions: thistled bones

·
Registered
951 Posts
-Becoming a radio dj in college.
-Attending the masturbation discussion during sexual awareness week, at a Christian college, and being the main proponent of masturbation during the discussion.
-Taking a teaching job in El Salvador.
-Collecting signatures for the Nader Campaign in Wyoming.
-Driving ten hours to work in Yellowstone.
-Joining a dating site.
-Writing a fifteen page letter to my friend, discussing my romantic feelings, which I'd always hidden in the past. And then discussing them in even further detail on forums.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Also, we have something called a senior project which involves a 20 minute long presentation given in front of FOUR ADULTS.
Been there. I did it in 7. :frustrating:

But hey, they passed me anyway, and just look at me now! :dry:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Several years ago I decided to stop saying "no" to reasonable offers of new experiences. I used decline something new that I didn't know much about, so I wouldn't try new foods, new places, new people. Now, I may have initial resistance, but I remind myself to just try things. It has brought me a lot of things I never would have known! I've met great new people.

In some ways it has made me bolder. I've taken trips on my own that I usually would have just missed out on. I try cooking things I've never even eaten before. If I could have afforded it, I would have moved to England all on my own. All in all, being more experimental has made me more comfortable with myself.
this somehow reminds me a lot of Jim Carrey's 2008 movie "Yes Man!" :laughing:

Reactions: Hotspur

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
@niki - Yes, it does! :wink:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts