Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everyone's day is a little different. In the short time it takes for our little blue ball to rotate while orbiting the sun, each of our individual lives goes through a repeating cycle of observation, implementation, execution, and learning. it is a never ending cycle unless the person is in a coma or deathbed.

So things I learned yesterday includes:

- the nature of Boston, it will take 15+ minutes to get INTO the city to desired destination and there is no traffic jams but about 4 minutes-ish to back back to where you originated from. Someone told me this is due to the plethora of one-way streets. To me, the symmetry of the city just threw me in for a whack and made me go wtf.

- Blue Man Group, there are these three guys in blue masks who do not speak but if you can imagine three aliens that communicate by observation and sight, not even so telepathically instead of verbally, they do quite some random shit on stage that entertains people. so picture taking INTPs and ISTPs and put them on stage and simply make things happen without question or retort and you will have an entertaining performance.

- GPS in the city of Boston, yeah... good luck with that. They dont pinpoint you to which lane you're specifically suppose to be in except that you should follow the name of where it is pointing you. But the kicker is, the sign you're supose to follow is tucked in small print behind another sign, then another, and by the time you realize, you would have missed your exit.... recalculating.... times 30 bajillion times. Thus rendering all conversations to a grinding halt because the GPS was being rude and obnoxious.

So what are things you have learned yesterday?

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Yesterday? So long ago. I learned that Mofo don't eat no baby food and that I'm implementing a three strike policy with hardcore ISTJs when explaining things, after that I'm just making an excuse and walking away. Those are the conscious understandings anyway.

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
I learned how an electric motor works. Actually no I didn't learn at all. I learned what an electric motor does. High school physics is fucking stupid. Electromagnetism is so poorly explained. I guess the thing I learned was that much of high physics is watered down, and I just need to grit my teeth and wade through it until I can learn it properly at university.

I also learned this: I don't know if wikipedia is US-biased or my staff training was full of corporate bias, but apparently it was an American who first introduced self-service supermarket shopping to the UK, however I learned just a few days ago that it was the supermarket where I work that introduced it, at a way earlier date than wikipedia says. Hmm! hah.

And.... hmmmmm..... I learned that life started because of the electro-chemical imbalanced caused by volcanic activity in isolated pools/lakes of water. Proton gradients, etc. Its a bit wishy-washy because it was watered down prime-time national television, but that's what I got from it.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yesterday, I learnt that the brain processes numbers written as words (e.g. eight) as numbers and not words.

And.... hmmmmm..... I learned that life started because of the electro-chemical imbalanced caused by volcanic activity in isolated pools/lakes of water. Proton gradients, etc. Its a bit wishy-washy because it was watered down prime-time national television, but that's what I got from it.
I don't think he actually answered the question "What is life?" in that programme. I know it's a massively complex question, but all I got out of it was proton gradients. And that Brian Cox has very frothy spit. I'm still going to religiously watch the rest of the season though.

·
Banned
2,585 Posts
I just learned that:

-my cat has a nasty breath when he yawns

-Most people are douchebags, every bit of information you feed them about you is exploitable and can be used against you

-It is unknown how many dimensions exist, the only thing we are sure about is that there is a minimum of 3 dimensions

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I learned:

-How thermoelectric generators work using the Seebeck effect.

-That you can build a real working nuclear fusion reactor in your garden shed for as little as £1000. It'll fuse deuterium atoms together, but it won't produce more energy than you put into it. Still pretty cool though (and still counts as working fusion).

·
Registered
938 Posts
I learned from a memory of when I was 6-8 years old and stating to children my age that I didn't want kids... then I realized this was not just something I grew to hate, that I just never liked kids. I learned something about myself yesterday. Why my family still refuses to believe me... idk. I guess when I'm 45 it will click.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I learned that poppies are bleeding difficult to draw if you've never done it before and don't have a reference.

Reactions: qingdom

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's blue grease paint, not masks. Now you've learned something else!
Pretty sure they're masks... or at least some headpiece / makeup layer that makes them bald and cover their ears.... because from all the activities they do throughout the night, they don't break a sweat. If it's just their face alone even with a layer of paint on, the audience should be able to see sweat bullets of sorts (sans the liquid drums they splash themselves with).

but I do not deny they're covered with blue paint though.

Image:

Source:

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What I learned yesterday was:

- If you live on the East Coast and plan to travel to the Northeastern states and take I-95 but don't want to get stuck at the horrid traffic bottleneck that is George Washington Bridge, you can cut a little north, travel a little bit farther to whichever destination, and take the Tappen Zee Bridge.

Image:

That's not the exact route I took to/from, but where pin 'B' is will more than likely be a clusterfuck of congestion depending on which kind of rush hour / peak hour / bumper-to-bumper hour traffic you get stuck in. Not to mention that bridge costs $13 per car.

- Next time heading up north, I'll try to cut through from NJ Turnpike, take the Garden State Parkway, up to I-87/I-287 to Tappan Zee then merge back to I-95 and see how well that fairs.

- Do not trust listening to the timing of your GPS. You may only have seconds to make an exit before you miss it. And don't be like those asshole drivers that listens to it precisely, cuts three lanes disregarding traffic behind them just to make that exit. Yes, don't be that asshole. Better you be safe than sorry you made a risky judgement. Taking the next exit to drive back isn't the end of the world.

- If you drive, do yourself a favor and buy an EZ Pass. It saves a shitton of time. The excuse of 'oh I don't drive often out of state' is not a legit excuse because when you do travel out of state that has tolls, you will wish you had it. And non-EZ Pass drivers are what mostly causes those traffic congestion bottlenecks. AND non-EZ Pass drivers pay a little premium on top of the toll cost not to have the little device for 'convenience' purposes.

- It's nice and all to follow the crowd going 75+ mph where speed limit is (55mph - 65mph), but I've found during my travel to/from Philly to Boston that driving the speed limit instead of over gets to the destination only a fraction of an hour later, and I'd gotten better mileage. But because I wasn't in a rush and going 75+ wouldn't automagically get me there say 2 hours less travel time either. It's quite funny to watch people rush off to die especially when they tailgate and cause a multi-car accident when the chain fucks up somewhere (if at all).

- There are jackasses that drives fast and flashes people driving the speed limit on the slow lane... Therefore, the rule of 'keep right, pass left' is rendered null and void. Where do these people earn their licenses again? Just remember to stand your ground, laugh, and piss them the hell off. =D Or brake and force them to get stuck and pinned with no where to merge and speed off to. =)

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
Pretty sure they're masks... or at least some headpiece / makeup layer that makes them bald and cover their ears.... because from all the activities they do throughout the night, they don't break a sweat.
I read an article about it many years ago back when I was in a theatre makeup class. They put on a latex bald cap and put layers of latex glue on their faces, then they paint the whole thing blue with grease paint. The latex adhesive underneath is what gives it the mask-y look, but it's 100% makeup (aside from the bald cap).

edit: hey, look at that... I managed to find the article.

·
Registered
657 Posts
This. Who knew! Now if someone can get me some actual hard evidence for it, I will live by this!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
You were in Boston? 4 more hours North and you would have found me ... time to move again.

·
Registered
82 Posts
- collared aracari are awesome-looking birds!

- keas (who are uncredibly smart parrots and therefor earn brownie points part of which are about to get subtracted) tend to tear open the skin of living sheep to gnaw on their subcutaneous fat.

- According to the facial reconstruction of the body of king Richard III recently found in Leicester, he looked like Quentin Tarantino:

- A discussion with my fellow INTP boyfriend about a graffito on the back of a seat on a bus on the way home from some grocery shopping that said "ghetto" led to the question why the word ghetto ... which we knew was derived from the name of a Jewish neighborhood in 16th century Venice which in turn was named after the fact that there was a foundry - a getto - nearby ... was spelled with an "h" and pronounced "g" rather than "dj". There was some heated speculation (he insisted a phonetic shift was unlikely and a misunderstanding by some foreigner visiting Venice and spreading the word all over Europe was more probable, which I denied) we finally looked it up and the most plausible answer we found (in the Italian Wikipedia) is this: The Ashkenazi living in the Venice ghetto in the renaissance were mostly of German origin and mispronounced getto as ghetto and the name stuck since they were the ones living there and using the name on a daily basis. Thus the word for foundery became first a proper placename and then a general abstract term for an enclosed, lockd-up neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I learned it's hard to stay awake during the day when you are usually nocturnal.

- According to the facial reconstruction of the body of king Richard III recently found in Leicester, he looked like Quentin Tarantino:

I guess this means Quentin can't join Nicholas Cage's vampire squad :crying:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Wait is it not normal to know about the Blue Man Group?
I live in Orlando so I've grown up around where they preform, but I've always just assumed they were one of those things everyone's at least heard about.
Also, they aren't masks, they're painted blue. Cool group though.

Anyway, yesterday I learned what happens in my highschool if someone calls in a bomb threat. And that no one really cares.
I mean, this is a picture one of my friends posted on her tumblr Photo by rhymeswithmaya • Instagram (ESFP on the left, I don't really know the one in the middle ENFP on the right. The one in the middle made it)
They just made us sit in the football stadium.

Let's see... Yeah, I didn't do much yesterday. I mean, I had a lot of feels about the Lizzie Bennet Diaries, but that's not really interesting.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have learned yesterday that most 32-bit operating systems will go wonky after 3:14:07am on Jan 28, 2038.

On one hand, it's a great thing we're migrating / integrating quite a lot of current hardware to be 64-bit. To be able to utilize more than 4gb of ram on 32-bit OS using a 64-bit OS is a great thing. But old and obsolete hardware may have a lifespan for another 26 years before going kaput.

speaking of obsolete components, I still have a crapton of old hardware even though I chucked / donated a lot... ranging from 386sx through pentium 4's... the amount of money i poured into technology since 1990 ... i would slap myself if i were to travel backin time, but I wouldnt give it up still, because i wouldnt be where I am today without that knowledge and experience.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts