Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pop media does not always portray realistic relationships. Most romantic stories are written to make viewers empathetic, but are often just made-up fantasies. Sure, you might see a boy chasing after a girl in a subway, like they do in movies; but unlike in movies, they don’t usually end with a kiss. In real life, it ends with a restraining order against the guy. That’s just one thing that romantic movies get wrong about relationships.

Another example is how there always has to be a third party, a rival for true love, a love triangle. Romantic movies introduce such characters in order to add tension and conflict (which I understand are needed to tell an engaging story), but most real-life relationships are already beset by common problems such as debt, bills, and whose turn is it to take out the trash. Not all real-life relationships have a love triangle, and if some do, then it’s usually resolved during the courtship stage.

Speaking of debt and bills, why is it that there’s always a difference in status between the couple? Like how the guy is a rich, pampered descendant of a Welsh royal—King Arthur himself even—and the girl is just from down the corner of Edison, New Jersey, or vice versa. It just adds more fantasy to the story.

But despite all of my gripes about what romantic movies get wrong about relationships, I still enjoy watching them. I have fun rooting for the guy chasing for the girl in the subway. I celebrate when the guy triumphs over the rival and wins the girl’s hand. I swoon when the man of lordly caliber sweeps the pauper girl off of her feet and marries her despite the gap in their station. I enjoy romantic movies for what they are—made-up fantasies.

Do you have any suggestions on good romantic movies that portray relationships realistically? Let me know.

·
Registered
15,689 Posts
From the top of my mind

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
500 Days of Summer
High Fidelity
In the mood for love
Before sunrise
Annie Hall
Umbrella of Cherbourg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: dulcinea

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I see you are new to the forum, welcome

Pop media does not always portray realistic relationships.
Most people don't have realistic expectations
most people have a very unrealistic description of their relationship
most people enjoy unrealistic movies that project their imagination
many enjoy movies that approach real life situations in unrealistic ways
like being poor, ugly but ending pretty/handsome with money, etc etc.

I enjoy romantic movies for what they are—made-up fantasies.

Do you have any suggestions on good romantic movies that portray relationships realistically? Let me know.
I also enjoy movies, there are many reasons for that, what I don't exactly like or agree with, is making masses idealize possible solutions. I mean, many movies try to be successful giving people the politics, religion, social and moral projections they want. Like you can be ugly, lazy, stupid and still attract the best guy/woman, sure many unhealthy people like that, or problem solving, terrible problem solving.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Things Romantic Movies Get Wrong About Relationships
Regarding your title: I believe there are many movies approaching problem solving the wrong way, in fact very unhealthy. Specially about forgiveness, many push the idea that a guy must self humilliate to say sorry, even if he didn't do anything but the partner feels offended (imaginary problem). Also how many couples end up together despite very... very unhealthy situations, and yes many unhealthy people like it and buy the ticket making it a success.

From the top of my mind

500 Days of Summer
High Fidelity
In the mood for love
Before sunrise
Annie Hall
Umbrella of Cherbourg
Those are very nice picks.

I would like to add Blue Valentine. It's bitter in many areas, how some person complains about the other person not using his gifts to her benefit, or wanting a better life "meaning money".

One of my favorites: Stor of Us.
Dinner with friends... very good.
Friends with money, not as serious but good.
Qu'est-ce qu'on a fait au Bon Dieu ? God what have we done! (French)
Jeux d'enfants (french) goes to fantasy extremes but portrayals very well how two people who love intensively end up apart and destructing themselves every time they approach being together.

·
Registered
INF-Something
6,569 Posts
From the top of my mind

500 Days of Summer
High Fidelity
In the mood for love
Before sunrise
Annie Hall
Umbrella of Cherbourg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I haven't seen all of these, but I have found (500) Days of Summer really relatable...how people idealize relationships, but, looking back, realize they didn't really see the whole picture. I've had similar experiences on both sides of the relationship

·
Registered
INF-Something
6,569 Posts
I think the problem is that most romantic movies are based on romantic comedy or romance novels, which are, by nature, formulaic, because the formula is what makes the big bucks. The majority don't really want realism, but an escape therefrom. That being said, so long as there is also a demand for realistic romantic comedies, someone will supply it. I, personally, prefer romances that stray from the formula and depict stories and characters that I find relatable, even if it doesn't have a storybook ending. I can't get into these Disnified saccharin, cinderally stories or these big hollywood glittery rom com affairs.

In addition the above, a story, a movie I really liked was "Marty". I thought it was such a simple story, and something I could see real people experiencing. I find "only the lonely" and "I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With" explore a similar storyline, but Marty, definitely did it the best.

·
Registered
INF-Something
6,569 Posts
Romantic movies are entertainment not a guide.

Next up, Star Trek does not realistically portray Space Exploration.
No one said romantic movies were supposed to be a guide. If someone wants a more realistic portrayal of relationships and to stray from the rigid formula that most of these films follow, they're entitled to their taste. Also the point about "Star Trek"? You realize that there are actually films that realistically portray space travel right?

·
exploring space
9,978 Posts
The romanticism of Romantic movies is based on the first stages of a relationship, when people are infatuated. The fantasy part of the movie is that this infatuation is often portrayed as being what the whole relationship is about, while the natural progression of feelings that happens in real life is kept out of it. This can be influential to people who are inexperienced in relationships, especially young, mainly in their expectations in relationships.

It's not entirely fantasy, like elves and time travel, it's more like a distortion of reality, which is fine if you know it's a distortion but many people don't until they find themselves thoroughly disappointed that real relationships are not like that.

I think a big part of "being romantic" is in a cycle of influence feeding and being fed by media like romantic movies/books, and lots of people who try to be romantic are trying to live up to these expectations whether they understand it or not. I'm sure Paris is a nice city to visit especially the museums, but I doubt its romanticism is not artificially created and perpetuated by the myriad mentions of it as being a "romantic city", for example.

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
I think there's none.

I soooooo hate romance shit actually

Since i was younger a teen, i hate romance..

Everyone around me we're so fucking hopeless romantic

I think, not watching romance will gain you more benefits when it comes to relationship

Because not watching romance makes me more realistic and is able to handle relationship better

And i think through over watching romance, you can build idealism that will just frustrate someone when they knew that their ideals doesn't exist in real life

That everyone is flawed and it's okay to be flawed

They will also set some standards within themselves that this should be what is done and what you should like in relationship

Where in fact, good impressions lasts only at the beginning and when you see that your partner is flawed yet you still love him is true love

Media makes life complicated.

They set standards that's unrealistic

Guys, never ever believe on media.

Like seriously

It blinded you on what's real

1 - 11 of 11 Posts