Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some things that INTPs do that we assume EVERYONE does? We are so accustomed to the way we think, the things we do, that we take for granted certain things that we just assume are the norm for everybody. We know everyone laughs, everyone smiles, everyone cries (or at least it's considered "the norm"), everyone lives, everyone dies. But what are some things that, because of the way we are so accustomed to ourselves, we assume everyone else does those things as well?

They could be anything, from something barely worth a mention to something big that we never thought about before.

·
Registered
288 Posts
We assume people have common sense and the ability to make sound decisions, when in actuality, people are just so fucking stupid sometimes. And blindly so.

A lot of ignorant INFP's and ENTJ's have been blowing my fucking brilliant mind lately.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Just what everyone else said - thinking about things and making decision based on sound reasoning. Like... that seems basic right? Why would you want to make a bad decision? Fat-lot-of-NOPE. The world is so dumb.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just what everyone else said - thinking about things and making decision based on sound reasoning. Like... that seems basic right? Why would you want to make a bad decision? Fat-lot-of-NOPE. The world is so dumb.
I'm guilty of this as well. It seems so COMMON SENSE to me, even more common sense than walking in front of a moving vehicle. There's a problem...you find a fucking solution. Quit crying about it.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
.... But what are some things that, because of the way we are so accustomed to ourselves, we assume everyone else does those things as well?

They could be anything, from something barely worth a mention to something big that we never thought about before.
One thing could be a belief that the world is swarming with INTPs; like, it's the default personality type.

That's just plain not true! INTPs are only 3.3% of all types (according to the MBTI Manual) and estimated elsewhere to be at 3-5% in the US.

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
5,197 Posts
empathy vs sympathy...

initially believing that the former is the default of greater society...

which likely explains why so many of us grow up to become such jaded, cynical bastards... and generally, being suspicious of things displayed as sympathies.

... actually, I'd say with my oft too repeated sentiment, a lot of it holds up to the hope for humanity, even while lacking the faith in it -- which all boils down to perspectives of on other people, that are often misjudged... a certain naivety, vulnerability when it comes to other people, even if we act like distant or pompous arses...

what? you've never stayed up for three days researching 14th century chinese pottery that you got distracted on because you went looking for a singing shroom which that other harry potter movie really needed... as screaming mandrake just wouldn't do...

totally common sense... pssh.

I dunno... so, many filters in place for the general public and each other, are there any truths?

... existing... the separation of emotions and thoughts, being able to view both objectively, distantly... disconnected... without being completely schizophrenic... by the hollywood view.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I think that societal norms are things that are disposable, like you can throw them away when they are no longer useful for me. In that case, if on the chance I do, I realise that others do not find that amusing. They're way too invested in that shit.

·
Registered
INTP
1,755 Posts
I tend to assume everything I know is common knowledge so I get surprised every time someone is confused about what I'm talking about because they hadn't heard of it before. It happens often and yet I still assume this and I still get surprised.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sitting in a waiting room for 7+ hours, *unrelated* doing your research. I didn't realize how little people do this

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I tend to assume other people like learning and research and dissecting concepts as much as I do.

At school(community college) other people like to ask how long until I graduate and talk about how they can't wait to be done, but I'm a 5th year student with no projected graduation date and no real desire to graduate because I still have so many classes that look cool that I haven't taken yet. (I mean I much prefer studying on my own and I'm notorious for being trouble to professors who expect me to show up to class, sit still, turn things in, and generally act like a student, but I like learning and I want to know ALL THE THINGS and other people just don't get that :/)

·
Registered
4 Posts
The ones who are also ignorant enough to try to somehow blame a mistake or involve you in their mistake in any way leave a bitter taste in my mouth. But hey, anybody willing to explain all these abbreviations to me.. puhlease

·
Registered
INTP
7,072 Posts
One thing I've noticed lately is that I've sometimes mentioned how 'we've all seen far worse things on the internet', to which people laugh, and I quickly realise they don't know I am, although joking, rather serious.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Able to follow my verbal logic, and distinguish facts and opinion. Well, I used to think that. Being almost 50, I've gotten a lot more realistic about it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sitting in front of the computer for hours on end without getting up to eat whatever meal I was supposed to be eating at that time. I'm either just too intensely focused on a certain task, or I just end up getting distracted with one thing after another because my mind keeps going off on random tangents.

·
Registered
163 Posts
We assume people have common sense and the ability to make sound decisions, when in actuality, people are just so fucking stupid sometimes. And blindly so.

A lot of ignorant INFP's and ENTJ's have been blowing my fucking brilliant mind lately.
How did they blow you away? hehe, pun intended.

For me;

To enjoy reading others thoughts and dissecting the hell out of them looking for irrational or wrong thought patterns/conclusions. Doing the same for myself too. Asking others what they think and how they came to that conclusion.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
When I thought of something funny in my head or thought of a solution in my head and smirk to myself without saying anything. Other people look as if I'm just fucking crazy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.