Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I see!, they are plausible reasons.

I have permission to question other people's types, I hope? :) So...

Have you ever taken this one test?

Big Five Personality Test

Would you mind posting your results?...
Ludi, my issue is that you are doing it in a thread that has nothing to do with it.
If you think she's mistyped, do what normal people do and send her a private message.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ludi, my issue is that you are doing it in a thread that has nothing to do with it.
If you think she's mistyped, do what normal people do and send her a private message.
Why are you being so hostile towards Ludi? He's learning by understanding her path to understanding... Her answers to his questions helped me as well.

·
Registered
680 Posts
-forewarning-
PLEASE DONT BAN ME FOR DISAGREEING

INJ (se): "...such a brutal, sensate landscape. why do people settle for animalistic immediacy? I'm not an animal, that's for sure. I'll conceive my own reality, on my own terms."
ITP (fe): "...people are so easily manipulated and shallow. I can see how things really work, I couldn't possibly play along. Isn't anyone able to think for themselves?"
IFP (te): "...individuals are so divided and discouraged, for such horrid impersonal reasons. I pay attention to how people feel, and that's more important than anything."
ISJ (ne): "...such chaos and nonsense, it would all self-destruct if it wasn't for those of us keeping check of things. Do people really want things to fall apart?"

EFJ (ti): "...cold, hard logic doesn't go anywhere toward helping people. where would we be without each other? why risk breaking that neccessary bond?"
ETJ (fi) "...people are so unwilling to take charge, too afraid of stepping on someone else's toes just to get something done. I get things done, I have the balls to see how life really works."
ENP (si) "...immobility never lasts, the earth never sits still. If you just sit in one place, how could you possibly go anywhere?"

ESP (ni) "...trying to repress your own instincts only serves to heighten them. why are people so frightened of what's right in front of their nose?"
i find that people who are comfortable with, and have been forced to use their inferior functions may not agree with the above. personally, i agree with the ETJ quote especially since i adore Te. My Fi manifests itself through evaluating how realistic emotional responses are. So I get especially annoyed at soap operas with ridiculous relationship dynamics. I find that IFP would be more annoyed at how people do not consider ALL the variables or mitigating circumstances behind human actions/feelings.

·
Registered
164 Posts
B) You're not likely an "N"

Everyone theorizes, generalizes or have some idea of how the world works. And most importantly, understanding is pertinent in terms of every learning style. The next time you put in "I prefer theorizing" even though you're secretly uncertain if you're really an ENTP, consider putting more details or context. People will sniff you out regardless of what you write.

Technically everyone has at least some ability to think abstractly and notice that there's an underline in this word (and not the other one).
C) Imagination is an universal survival skill

Everyone uses their imagination at some point or daydreams ideals. You need to be more specific about how you go about your glorious "imagination" and also, you are not likely to be scouted for Pixar.
K) "I'm not traditional"

Have you considered what the term "traditional" really means?
Did you just pulled out a dictionary and stopped thinking after you read the dictionary definition or go, "did you think I'm idiot to not know what the term means?"

Then you're probably not an N. No offense or taunt bait intended.
So...I take it you feel that a lot of people have mis-typed themselves as iNtuitives when they are actually Sensors due to not understanding questions on the test or applying the questions to scenarios too specifically.

That was just the impression I got. :tongue: However, I must agree in the fact that people can misunderstand the questions, and thus mistype themselves.

C) I can see your angle on this. My younger sister is an ESFP, and she seems to have a fairly active imagination. However, you also neglected to mention that while everyone imagines or has some kind of fantasy/day-dream, everyone also has to live "in the real world" from time to time. Most of the information guides I've read have said that iNtuitives are more likely to have a well-developed "Sensor" side than "Sensors" are to have a well-developed "iNtuitive" side, because of how important "Sensing" is to our culture and society. That's one of the many reasons why it can be difficult to separate an "iNtuitive" from a "Sensor."

K) Uh, I actually didn't understand what you were saying here about whether or not you know what "Traditional" means and comparing it to whether or not you're an "N" type. You're probably not an "N" type if you do know what it means, or if you don't know what it means?
Assuming it's alright to be a little straight-forward here, are you sure it's wise to hinge an entire personality (the "S" and the "N" changes quite a bit in the personality profile) on a detail such as whether or not a person understands a word? You forget that even the strongest of iNtuitives live in a world dominated by Sensors. As for myself, I'm pretty well surrounded by Si and Se doms; I'd never be able to survive if I didn't understand something so important to them.

I'd be interested to see if you have an idea as to how we can separate the N from the S, considering that people seem to mistype themselves between these two soooo often. :wink:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Oh! So P.M. works here? I thought it would bothersome to others...
Oh yea because completely derailing a thread is NOT bothersome. /sarcasm

On topic: I think it is important to note that MOST of the work should be done by the one who is typing themselves not the one who is trying to help with the typing. A lot of people come in just expecting to be told what their type is without looking to much into it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
So...I take it you feel that a lot of people have mis-typed themselves as iNtuitives when they are actually Sensors due to not understanding questions on the test or applying the questions to scenarios too specifically.

That was just the impression I got. :tongue: However, I must agree in the fact that people can misunderstand the questions, and thus mistype themselves.

C) I can see your angle on this. My younger sister is an ESFP, and she seems to have a fairly active imagination. However, you also neglected to mention that while everyone imagines or has some kind of fantasy/day-dream, everyone also has to live "in the real world" from time to time. Most of the information guides I've read have said that iNtuitives are more likely to have a well-developed "Sensor" side than "Sensors" are to have a well-developed "iNtuitive" side, because of how important "Sensing" is to our culture and society. That's one of the many reasons why it can be difficult to separate an "iNtuitive" from a "Sensor."

K) Uh, I actually didn't understand what you were saying here about whether or not you know what "Traditional" means and comparing it to whether or not you're an "N" type. You're probably not an "N" type if you do know what it means, or if you don't know what it means?
Assuming it's alright to be a little straight-forward here, are you sure it's wise to hinge an entire personality (the "S" and the "N" changes quite a bit in the personality profile) on a detail such as whether or not a person understands a word? You forget that even the strongest of iNtuitives live in a world dominated by Sensors. As for myself, I'm pretty well surrounded by Si and Se doms; I'd never be able to survive if I didn't understand something so important to them.

I'd be interested to see if you have an idea as to how we can separate the N from the S, considering that people seem to mistype themselves between these two soooo often. :wink:
C) I'm not really sure about this because my education systems had issues with sensors. The typical route is Highschool -> university where one can tune in once more this "higher order thinking" with college as the party bus of "hands-on workers". I had questioned how much my intellectual style is influenced by my university education so I assume there's society dependency on this, subconscious or not.

Although if your self image is, for whatever reason, in a flux between INFJ and INFP because you have this thing called "imagination that is totally me,me,me" when the possibility of being ISFP is equally valid, then the type descriptions need more terrorism.

I'd quote up your point on C because it restores some balance to the guide, but I can't edit =S

K) It's the observation that most people automatically think Si = traditional without a second thought of how they are part of society( this, "tradition") as a whole. Of course you can't decide someone based on their understanding of a single word but think of it as I'm trying to get people to think. Granted, it's usually this single Si=tradition and OMG I'M NOT CULTURE SHEEP issue that potentially sprouts shit storm.

Consider that most of these "traditional bullshit" are still part of abstract frameworks that can be re-applied in the future. A "hot" thing is hot next to a cold thing, but is a cold thing next to a hotter thing. The idea of traditional-or-"not" is too subjective to be used for typing, in general anyways. Apparently anarchy is cool. But it's even cooler that one is up in this personality theory when many people aren't interested in it so this forum is safe from any anarchy unique-snowflake bombs.

What if Cognitive functions automatically become the traditional method of whatever social practical use then? Then N= Unique-totally-novel-totally-not-traditional image is kinda moot.

·
Registered
154 Posts
i find that people who are comfortable with, and have been forced to use their inferior functions may not agree with the above. personally, i agree with the ETJ quote especially since i adore Te.
I found the list tremendously useful and accurate, but you have a point there! I think age also plays a role here: when you mature, you're more likely to see the value of your inferior function. For example, when I was 19, I would have whole-heartedly agreed with the ITP quote. Now when I'm 29, I can still relate to it (if I had to pick a quote from the list, I'd pick that one) but only if I'm feeling particularly cynical or disappointed with the world.

So... Maybe we should come up with additional quotes: things people would relate to when they acknowledge the value of their inferior function?

I'll take a shot at it. Everyone, please feel free to correct or fine-tune my suggestions!

INJ (se): "...such a brutal, sensate landscape. why do people settle for animalistic immediacy? I'm not an animal, that's for sure. I'll conceive my own reality, on my own terms."
"Sometimes it's so relaxing to live in the moment, being guided by my animal instincts only. I can deepen my understanding of my own reality by immersing myself in it, experiencing it, and living it."

ITP (fe): "...people are so easily manipulated and shallow. I can see how things really work, I couldn't possibly play along. Isn't anyone able to think for themselves?"
"Getting along with people can improve my quality of life. People aren't logical creatures, so I should learn to recognize how feelings and emotions affect their behavior. This helps me see how people, relationships and society work."

IFP (te): "...individuals are so divided and discouraged, for such horrid impersonal reasons. I pay attention to how people feel, and that's more important than anything."
"Individuals have different needs, values and feelings. Often they clash, so we need a way to ensure everyone will respect each other's values even if they disagree. Impersonal rules and regulations can be useful in protecting these rights in a world where individual values clash."

ISJ (ne): "...such chaos and nonsense, it would all self-destruct if it wasn't for those of us keeping check of things. Do people really want things to fall apart?"
"Things change; it's an inevitable part of life. If I resist too hard, change will result in chaos. If I learn to see what's coming, if I learn to adapt and integrate new things into my world, I will be even better at keeping everything in check."

It was fairly painless to come up with something for the introverts (except for Fi - that was hard), but for some odd reason I'm totally lost with the extraverts. Help? Ideas?

EFJ (ti): "...cold, hard logic doesn't go anywhere toward helping people. where would we be without each other? why risk breaking that neccessary bond?"
ETJ (fi) "...people are so unwilling to take charge, too afraid of stepping on someone else's toes just to get something done. I get things done, I have the balls to see how life really works."
ENP (si) "...immobility never lasts, the earth never sits still. If you just sit in one place, how could you possibly go anywhere?"
ESP (ni) "...trying to repress your own instincts only serves to heighten them. why are people so frightened of what's right in front of their nose?"

·
Registered
164 Posts
C) I'm not really sure about this because my education systems had issues with sensors. The typical route is Highschool -> university where one can tune in once more this "higher order thinking" with college as the party bus of "hands-on workers". I had questioned how much my intellectual style is influenced by my university education so I assume there's society dependency on this, subconscious or not.

Although if your self image is, for whatever reason, in a flux between INFJ and INFP because you have this thing called "imagination that is totally me,me,me" when the possibility of being ISFP is equally valid, then the type descriptions need more terrorism.

I'd quote up your point on C because it restores some balance to the guide, but I can't edit =S

K) It's the observation that most people automatically think Si = traditional without a second thought of how they are part of society( this, "tradition") as a whole. Of course you can't decide someone based on their understanding of a single word but think of it as I'm trying to get people to think. Granted, it's usually this single Si=tradition and OMG I'M NOT CULTURE SHEEP issue that potentially sprouts shit storm.

Consider that most of these "traditional bullshit" are still part of abstract frameworks that can be re-applied in the future. A "hot" thing is hot next to a cold thing, but is a cold thing next to a hotter thing. The idea of traditional-or-"not" is too subjective to be used for typing, in general anyways. Apparently anarchy is cool. But it's even cooler that one is up in this personality theory when many people aren't interested in it so this forum is safe from any anarchy unique-snowflake bombs.

What if Cognitive functions automatically become the traditional method of whatever social practical use then? Then N= Unique-totally-novel-totally-not-traditional image is kinda moot.
C) Yeah, I've heard that the more you advance in education, the more iNtuitive it becomes. I'm in college, and I have to say I agree with that assessment. I think it's because a lot of higher education material involves having the ability to think abstractly or "truly understand" the information being fed to you, rather than "regurgitating" what the teacher says (paraphrase from a teacher in an actual psychology class I took). However, it would be amiss to suppose that because higher order education does it, all of society must value it. There are a lot of places we go in life that aren't our careers and education. According to most of my sources, Sensing has to do with experiencing the physical reality and basing opinions and ideas on what can be directly sensed, versus "gut feelings" or basing opinions and ideas on the imagination. People who suppose that aliens exist, for example, have been everything from crazy, to paranoid, to money-hungry, to attention-seeking. This isn't to say that at least some of them weren't actually paranoid, crazy, money-hungry, and/or attention-seeking. But a lot of people don't believe in it "because there is no conclusive proof." I, for one, wonder if aliens sit around and talk about earthlings all day. "Oh, no, I don't believe in earthlings, there is no conclusive proof." Of course, I doubt we'll be walking in on their planet anytime soon. It's usually considered an error in judgement to make assessments based on what we can't directly sense. Think of all the crap that certain beliefs get; believing in magic, fairies, ghosts, demons, angels, monsters, spirits, and all kinds of things like that are considered childish. I have asked people why others consider such ideas strange, and the answer I get 100% of the time is "Have you ever seen a ghost?" That's not to say that all iNtuitives believe in those things, or that no Sensors do. I'm just making a point; iNtuitives are often considered by society to be strange, impractical, and even unfocused or undisciplined (consider the age-old belief that day-dreaming is a sign of lack of focus and means that you can't discipline your mind). Needless to say, even if college and other forms of higher learning value iNtuitive traits, the rest of the world desires practicality.

K) "Traditional" is a favorite term among personality profiles. But since traditional doesn't always mean the same thing, I agree; we need better descriptive words. From what I've read even just on this website, any "J" type whether iNtuitive or Sensing can be considered "culture sheep." I have understood that Si is a method of using the system that's always worked in the past to achieve the desired result, rather than trying to cut your own pattern. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have "traditional" values and beliefs, and being in iNtuitive doesn't mean you don't. I would say that someone using "Si" might, for example, use the same recipe their grandmother used to make birthday cake because it's always been wonderful in the past, and they don't feel the need to go tweaking it; it's fine just the way it is. "Don't fix what ain't broke" is a saying I've heard before to describe that pattern of thinking and doing. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
I found the list tremendously useful and accurate, but you have a point there! I think age also plays a role here: when you mature, you're more likely to see the value of your inferior function. For example, when I was 19, I would have whole-heartedly agreed with the ITP quote. Now when I'm 29, I can still relate to it (if I had to pick a quote from the list, I'd pick that one) but only if I'm feeling particularly cynical or disappointed with the world.

So... Maybe we should come up with additional quotes: things people would relate to when they acknowledge the value of their inferior function?

I'll take a shot at it. Everyone, please feel free to correct or fine-tune my suggestions!

"Sometimes it's so relaxing to live in the moment, being guided by my animal instincts only. I can deepen my understanding of my own reality by immersing myself in it, experiencing it, and living it."

"Getting along with people can improve my quality of life. People aren't logical creatures, so I should learn to recognize how feelings and emotions affect their behavior. This helps me see how people, relationships and society work."

"Individuals have different needs, values and feelings. Often they clash, so we need a way to ensure everyone will respect each other's values even if they disagree. Impersonal rules and regulations can be useful in protecting these rights in a world where individual values clash."

"Things change; it's an inevitable part of life. If I resist too hard, change will result in chaos. If I learn to see what's coming, if I learn to adapt and integrate new things into my world, I will be even better at keeping everything in check."

It was fairly painless to come up with something for the introverts (except for Fi - that was hard), but for some odd reason I'm totally lost with the extraverts. Help? Ideas?

I'm 24 now and I definitely agree with what you're saying. I can't really relate to the ITP quote but I would've if I had been in my teens. Your quote is pretty spot on where I am now currently, but I'd phrase it more as:

Getting along with people can improve my quality of life. I can't always understand or appreciate the feelings of others but it is this illogical nature that makes them interesting. There is nothing wrong or dangerous with social interaction. I can't always understand but it's all right.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
On the topic of the inferior function, I would like to say that the following explains it quite well:

Personality Junkie | Understanding the Inferior Function

When discussing how to integrate your inferior function, this part seems the most important to take note of:

"Even as the inferior is granted a stronger voice in the congress of consciousness, it will never overtake the dominant function as the president. In fact, the process of individuation may actually lead to a more effective use of the dominant function, since it is not as susceptible to manipulation by the inferior, whose nature and motives have been exposed through the light of consciousness. As I’ve written elsewhere, wise decision-making typically involves granting greater decision-making power to our dominant and auxiliary functions, which represent our most effective tools for navigating the world."

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
If you are not mature enough and have self-knowledge enough to answer the questions correctly, you might not get the correct type from tests. But I still suggest taking many (different) tests over trying to "type" yourself using cognitive functions and descriptions.

You know, it is all a generalized - but useful - system, and I am pretty sure it is not the Answer to how people work, but can give hints. Nardi found that the "types" actually used their brains differently.... He minted the term "christmas light pattern" when describing the energy consuming all-over brain activations of xNxP types....

N vs S.... is mostly about interest. Talk to people about "what if-ideas" or philosophy or theories.... The really interested ones are likely inclined towards N and the bored ones or those who relatively quickly wish to change subjects to more "wordly" matters or "old times" are probably more S. Perhaps it is difficult for many Sensors to know the difference though, how typist I yet may seem when stating it....:-(

Signs of being an N: Absent-mindedness, Often pranked because you dint pay attention to the details around you, predicting the outcomes of books, movies or stories while seeing them rather than just enjoying what you see, trying to see "systems" or general rules to fix or see causes to problems, not noticing hunger/pain, not being too interested in make-up/clothes and fashion, being nerdy ... Just a few.

As an ENTP I use Si when comparing Ideas and previous outcomes... It keeps me grounded and

·
Registered
671 Posts
I understand it to mean that while a sensor would either decide "I know what traditional means, it's pretty basic, come on" or "Hm, well, better look it up and find out" while an N would probably just sit there after reading the question and consider it in their mind. "Well, have I thought about the true meaning of the word traditional? Maybe some people think of traditional as wanting to live in a country cottage, but what if the writers of the questionnaire are considering a more metropolitan ideal? Maybe I should look it up. But maybe the dictionary definition is what the writer has a problem with. Hm. I'm going to continue reading what this person is saying so that I can find out where their train of thought is going on this one."

edit: @Wakachi Is this where you were going? Or was I not supposed to let the cat out of the bag?

Reactions: Lanark

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you are not mature enough and have self-knowledge enough to answer the questions correctly, you might not get the correct type from tests. But I still suggest taking many (different) tests over trying to "type" yourself using cognitive functions and descriptions.

You know, it is all a generalized - but useful - system, and I am pretty sure it is not the Answer to how people work, but can give hints. Nardi found that the "types" actually used their brains differently.... He minted the term "christmas light pattern" when describing the energy consuming all-over brain activations of xNxP types....

N vs S.... is mostly about interest. Talk to people about "what if-ideas" or philosophy or theories.... The really interested ones are likely inclined towards N and the bored ones or those who relatively quickly wish to change subjects to more "wordly" matters or "old times" are probably more S. Perhaps it is difficult for many Sensors to know the difference though, how typist I yet may seem when stating it....:-(

Signs of being an N: Absent-mindedness, Often pranked because you dint pay attention to the details around you, predicting the outcomes of books, movies or stories while seeing them rather than just enjoying what you see, trying to see "systems" or general rules to fix or see causes to problems, not noticing hunger/pain, not being too interested in make-up/clothes and fashion, being nerdy ... Just a few.

As an ENTP I use Si when comparing Ideas and previous outcomes... It keeps me grounded and
i'm definately a n because every movie, show, manga etcc.. i watch im way ahead of it. In naruto i guessed who tobi was after about a week of him showing up..

21 - 40 of 117 Posts