Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have you recently noticed that has reminded you that you're living in a physical world?

·
Registered
17,205 Posts
Usually what brings me back to reality is to feel things physically. If I workout or do something physical active and I can feel blood pulse the air trying to fight its way into my lungs, or the day after the slight ache of my muscles it's kind of nice.
One experience I won't forget was for the two weeks of holidays from school we were given, I never left the house, the first day I came out and felt the wind on my face was amazing. Something so simple seemed so incredible to feel after being without it for so long.
So pain and bodily sensations.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
When I wake up around noon and immediately start going off on my alarm clock for not doing the same to me earlier that morning. It's usually only when I'm about halfway through the verbal assault that I realize that a) it's Saturday and b) FTA digital alarm clocks have yet to become sentient enough to feel the full breadth of such emotional tyranny.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Going outside always brings me back to reality, I become startled at the texture of leaves and the ground. sunlight is always a nice plus too, especially when you haven't seen it in weeks.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I went out after not having left the house for a few days yesterday, and it was a nice day, sun, blue sky, it was the afternoon, so it was nice and pretty, like a lazy Sunday seems, yet I could not feel anything. :( I think my Se is broken. I felt disconnected from all that was around me, as if my filter were clogged or something. I'll have to work on this or something, it kinda scared me a little, I don't think I've ever felt anything that intense in that way before.

Reactions: Ista

·
Registered
INFJ, 5w4
485 Posts
Taking a nice, hot shower and then a self-massage with body lotion. Munching on delicious foods. Spending time with friends. Being aware and acknowledging the positive energy that radiates from our interactions.

Also, PS: Great thread topic imo.

Reactions: Ista

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Usually when I'm playing a mmorpg for hours and finally step outside I'm like "Whoa, this is just like an interactive video game but with better graphics!"

But to be honest, I sometimes remind myself that I'm thinking too much and simply observe the world without forming any judgments on it. I let thoughts pop and disappear without trying to attach anything onto it. I just do what I am doing with concentration on it. This heightens the experience of being nature. But then I forget soon and go back to thinking and not concentrating much on what is around me.

I think that taking a break from what I ordinarily do and going outside alone to think is beneficial. It's refreshing to turn off all the electronics and hike on a trail. I like to look at the interactions in nature, at the red leaves falling and twirling, at the squirrels twitching their heads, at the rabbits hopping into bushes. Just being around the wilderness is enchanting. But it's also wonderful to sit outside on a crisp night and look up at the pale glow of the moon and think about the depth of the space around the teeny planet I'm standing on.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I haven't.

The rain is rather disconcerting however.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Birds chirping as I walked to the bus stop in the morning.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
Bills in my mailbox.

But to be honest, I sometimes remind myself that I'm thinking too much and simply observe the world without forming any judgments on it. I let thoughts pop and disappear without trying to attach anything onto it. I just do what I am doing with concentration on it. This heightens the experience of being nature. But then I forget soon and go back to thinking and not concentrating much on what is around me.
That's what happens to me.

And there's a timelessness to the immersion. When it ends, I don't remember any of the detail. I remember shape and form and my inner mood, but not the details -- they just flow through my head and out the other side as I live in the moment.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Usually when I'm playing a mmorpg for hours and finally step outside I'm like "Whoa, this is just like an interactive video game but with better graphics!"

I think that taking a break from what I ordinarily do and going outside alone to think is beneficial. It's refreshing to turn off all the electronics and hike on a trail. I like to look at the interactions in nature, at the red leaves falling and twirling, at the squirrels twitching their heads, at the rabbits hopping into bushes. Just being around the wilderness is enchanting. But it's also wonderful to sit outside on a crisp night and look up at the pale glow of the moon and think about the depth of the space around the teeny planet I'm standing on.

(Offers old-man-wolf-paw sized ring.)

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,626 Posts
The avatars with the pink square and two lighter pink rectangles.

WHAT IS HAPPENING? WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE, RIGHT?

·
Registered
451 Posts
What have you recently noticed that has reminded you that you're living in a physical world?
Coffee for me, as well.

When my hands get pruney after handwashing pots and pans.

Cooking. Exercising.

Chilling out with the cat.
Looking for things I haven't used for weeks. :bored:

·
Registered
856 Posts
Sometimes I have moments where I feel like I'm snapping back into reality and I think, "Holy shit. This is real. This is my life."

There doesn't seem to be any pattern in when/where this happens. It just does.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I was just shooting guns with my Dad and his girlfriend a few hours ago. On the first shot, I was like "holy shit I just used something that could've killed someone. I haven't done this for years."

I think it was my ears ringing and the kick of pistol and that I noticed I landed it right on the head (we were shooting at zombie targets xD).

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I do this sometimes, but not on purpose. One of the reasons I'm considering the possibility of me being an ISTP.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts