Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
INFP-T
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m pretty sure I’m most likely either INFP or ISFP at this point. I def think I have strong Fi, probably weak Te, and just about every test I take is INFP with ISFP here and there (I am wondering if I’m getting mistyped as intuitive) so I writing a thread about how I think I relate to INFP’s and ISFP’s aux and territory functions respectively to see which one fits me more:

How I might be Ne:

-I’ve made some “connections” between things before. Like how I think the inside of a jawbreaker looks like those science book illustrations of the earth’s layers. And being able to see faces or characters in dumb things like floor tile patterns and wall plastering. This can also be negative, I’m prone to falling for conspiracy theories and see patterns where maybe there isn’t something there and I’m just paranoid. (but that could just be my OCD)

-I make up conversations in my head, all the time. They flow seemingly naturally in my head. This is mostly more in a negative nature now, but in the past I would daydream about having conversations with people I wanted to know better.

-I have interest in some abstract concepts, such as personality theory.

-I like novelty and doing new things. I’m adaptable to change.

-I can see multiple possibilities for the future about positive ways my life can go, what kind of colleges I want to go to, what careers I could pursue, what hobbies I could take up, what projects I could start, etc.

-I have too many ideas for my own good. I have a list of creative projects I might want to start someday. More often than not, when I don’t act on an idea for too long, I lose interest and drop it even if I already started it.

-I go “what if” a lot, usually when I’m anxious, but sometimes not. (could just be my OCD)

-I like stories that are ambiguous, open-ended, and leave you theorizing / interpreting.

How I might use Si:

-I’m pretty nostalgic. Even over little things, like a grocery store we used to go to. I love revisiting things I enjoyed from the past, and can go off on things like, “hey, remember when ___? / anyone else remember this?”

-I can be sentimental. I feel tenderly towards things others might find silly. As a kid, I had difficulty parting with toys or other such things. I am better at parting with them now, but also my childhood holds a soft place in my heart.

-I have a good memory, whether it be vocab/terms for a class, details about something I’m interested in, past events and when/where they happened, or the faces/names of people I know. I can remember details about memories I had from years ago, including when I was very young.

-I think I relate a lot to Fi-Si loop. I sometimes reflect too much on past memories to find answers and get stuck in the past. I often think about the past, how things could’ve been different if I did this and that, people from the past I still think about, reflecting on how the past made me who I am now, beating myself up or feeling guilty for past mistakes, etc.

-I trust / respect most authority (apparently this is an Si thing?)

How I might NOT be Ne:

-I like abstract concepts and theories, but have troubling executing my own abstract ideas, like through art or writing. Most of my art is representational in some way or another. I can write fiction, but not really poetry. I feel I fall short when it comes to expressing my emotions in an artistic way that is more ambiguous and interpretable. I feel like sometimes it comes out too literal and I don’t really like that.

-I sometimes have trouble brainstorming. If I don’t get an idea right away from a certain prompt, it can take me time to come up with an idea I actually like. If I go out actively seeking for ideas I often won’t find them, as my good ideas come to me, rather than I go after ideas.

-I don’t like when people push a meaning on something when there isn’t supposed to be meaning there. An example being the fact that a blank canvas can sell for millions at an art museum because “it means something” when very little work was actually put into it. I like meanings and patterns, but it’s not in EVERYTHING.

How I might be Se:

-I like doing and experiencing new things. I’m adventurous.

-A lot of my hobbies (past and present) have been described as “physical” - making art, photography, enjoying nature, biking, (learning to) skateboard, swimming, field hockey. I love listening to music and sometimes playing video games which I’m not sure is more intuitive or sensory. My only “non-physical” hobbies are reading and writing. I wanna sing and dance and play music but that’s just not what I’m good at. I sometimes like to express myself through fashion and aesthetics and I heard that’s a sensor thing.

-How I described my love for nature in a previous post: “I remember seeing a sky full of stars for the first time and being astounded, just wanting to look at it forever. My favorite time is dusk and I love the feeling of being out and about right before dark, and how beautiful the skies are, and how the light hits everything perfectly. My favorite season is summer because of the warmth of the sun, blue skies, green grass, colorful flowers, but I also enjoy the colors of autumn. Sometimes I’ve wanted to just pull a Christopher McCandless and live in the wilderness, taking it all in, exploring.a’

-I can sometimes notice things that others don’t. I’ll see something in the corner of my eye, and it turns out to be a small animal or something, but no one else seems to notice.

-This is more likely than not my ASD but: I like to feel the texture of things, like soft blankets / pillows, or twirling my fingers in my necklace chain. On the other hand, I dislike things like tags on my clothes or hair growing past my ears, I notice it too much and it makes me uncomfortable.

How I might use Ni:

-Sometimes I had hunches or feelings of dread that came true, but they are far and few in between. The examples that stick to me in my head was this feeling I had that something was wrong between me and some of my friends doing several points in my life, and it turned out their feelings toward me were changing.

-I think I could see Fi-Ni loop too, but not as much as Fi-Si. Sometimes I look at things I did in the distant or recent past and feel scared of potential social consequences in the near or distant future. I sometimes wonder what people from way back think of me now, if I’ll ever run into them again (directly or indirectly) in either a positive “false hope” or in a negative way, and if my failures will come back to bite me.

-I think I’m insightful and can pick up on people’s hidden motivations or feelings sometimes but I’m not sure how accurate that is.

How I might NOT be Se:

-I want to be in the present more but struggle to. I just have a hard time feeling attached to my emotions and environment in the moment, but I do want to. I want to be experience life as it is happening and feel in touch with the present moment, not the past or future as I tend to be. Nowadays I barely feel connected to my immediate physical surroundings or even my feelings because I’m just thinking constantly. Not sure if it was always like that, though it could’ve been, but in a healthier way.

-I don't follow the "trendy" crowd nor care what's really trendy or "cool".

-I am not always aware of my environment and can lack spatial or bodily awareness. I can be clumsy and run into things, or knock things over. It takes me time to learn new physical skills, like driving. (could possibly just be my ADD or aspergers)

-I really, really, don’t like competitive sports or physically taxing activities. (unless it’s field hockey, biking, hiking or swimming. I like those things.)

-I’m not great at processing present information sometimes, I tend to space out a lot and miss details. (could possibly be my ADD or aspergers)

Not sure on:

-I feel I can be either “head in the clouds” or “down to earth” depending on the situation.

-I use a mix of figurative and literal speech. I can also be blunt at times. I get my ideas across better when writing rather than speaking, where I stumble over words and can’t plan out exactly what I need to say.

-I’m really introspective.

-I can be daydreamy, sometimes.

-I like to write fiction but work so much better when bouncing off on someone’s ideas (like post by post role-play).

-People tell me I’m good at bringing out the “small details” in my artwork (is that Si or Se? potentially both?)

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I’m pretty sure I’m most likely either INFP or ISFP at this point. I def think I have strong Fi, probably weak Te, and just about every test I take is INFP with ISFP here and there (I am wondering if I’m getting mistyped as intuitive) so I writing a thread about how I think I relate to INFP’s and ISFP’s aux and territory functions respectively to see which one fits me more:
Spoiler: what you describe here seems much more in line with ISFP than INFP to me, let me walk through the whole thing here:

How I might be Ne:
-I’ve made some “connections” between things before. Like how I think the inside of a jawbreaker looks like those science book illustrations of the earth’s layers. And being able to see faces or characters in dumb things like floor tile patterns and wall plastering. This can also be negative, I’m prone to falling for conspiracy theories and see patterns where maybe there isn’t something there and I’m just paranoid. (but that could just be my OCD)
Everyone makes connections sometimes, that's just a thing humans do. Conspiracy theories tend to fit best with Ni-using types (especially with it lower in their stack), although it can depend on a lot of factors too.

-I make up conversations in my head, all the time. They flow seemingly naturally in my head. This is mostly more in a negative nature now, but in the past I would daydream about having conversations with people I wanted to know better.
That can easily fit with Fi actually. Fi is about how you relate to other people and Fi-dominants are great listeners in general, that will often overthink human interactions a lot.

-I have interest in some abstract concepts, such as personality theory.
There's a difference in having an interest in "some" abstract concepts or constantly theorizing about a growing number of different things. What you're saying here isn't really a reason to suspect aux Ne.

-I like novelty and doing new things. I’m adaptable to change.
That can be either Ne or Se, depending on the context.

-I can see multiple possibilities for the future about positive ways my life can go, what kind of colleges I want to go to, what careers I could pursue, what hobbies I could take up, what projects I could start, etc.
Could be Ne, but Ni can do this just as well. There's also a lot of Fi here, which makes it hard to distinguish Ne from Ni in this one.

-I have too many ideas for my own good. I have a list of creative projects I might want to start someday. More often than not, when I don’t act on an idea for too long, I lose interest and drop it even if I already started it.
That could definitely fit with Ne, although losing interest if you don't act on something could also fit with Se.
In general, having ideas is just a human quality.

-I go “what if” a lot, usually when I’m anxious, but sometimes not. (could just be my OCD)
Could be Ne, but could be something else.

-I like stories that are ambiguous, open-ended, and leave you theorizing / interpreting.
I've seen that with ISFPs just as much as with INFPs.

How I might use Si:
-I’m pretty nostalgic. Even over little things, like a grocery store we used to go to. I love revisiting things I enjoyed from the past, and can go off on things like, “hey, remember when ___? / anyone else remember this?”
That's mostly Fi, but I've seen this with Fi+Si.

-I can be sentimental. I feel tenderly towards things others might find silly. As a kid, I had difficulty parting with toys or other such things. I am better at parting with them now, but also my childhood holds a soft place in my heart.
Si is more than that, but this could fit.

-I have a good memory, whether it be vocab/terms for a class, details about something I’m interested in, past events and when/where they happened, or the faces/names of people I know. I can remember details about memories I had from years ago, including when I was very young.
You mentioned your autism somewhere in this thing too. Attention to detail is a typical trait and having a good memory for specific types of things is also typical.
All of this could actually relate more to your autism than to your personality type, especially since they're more skills than traits.

-I think I relate a lot to Fi-Si loop. I sometimes reflect too much on past memories to find answers and get stuck in the past. I often think about the past, how things could’ve been different if I did this and that, people from the past I still think about, reflecting on how the past made me who I am now, beating myself up or feeling guilty for past mistakes, etc.
This is definitely related toy Fi and could be Si, but I'm not 100% convinced it's Si yet.

-I trust / respect most authority (apparently this is an Si thing?)
That's more of a Te thing generally than an Si thing. It's often related to STJ types (although it's more of a stereotype in practice).

How I might NOT be Ne:
-I like abstract concepts and theories, but have troubling executing my own abstract ideas, like through art or writing. Most of my art is representational in some way or another. I can write fiction, but not really poetry. I feel I fall short when it comes to expressing my emotions in an artistic way that is more ambiguous and interpretable. I feel like sometimes it comes out too literal and I don’t really like that.
Having trouble executing is typical IxFP. It's more related to inferior Te than to anything else.

-I sometimes have trouble brainstorming. If I don’t get an idea right away from a certain prompt, it can take me time to come up with an idea I actually like. If I go out actively seeking for ideas I often won’t find them, as my good ideas come to me, rather than I go after ideas.
That sounds like a very good reason to think that Ne is not one of your functions. Good ideas coming to you rather than you chasing after ideas fits better with Ni than Ne.

-I don’t like when people push a meaning on something when there isn’t supposed to be meaning there. An example being the fact that a blank canvas can sell for millions at an art museum because “it means something” when very little work was actually put into it. I like meanings and patterns, but it’s not in EVERYTHING.
Not sure if that's related to anything in MBTI.

How I might be Se:
-I like doing and experiencing new things. I’m adventurous.
That fits well.

-A lot of my hobbies (past and present) have been described as “physical” - making art, photography, enjoying nature, biking, (learning to) skateboard, swimming, field hockey. I love listening to music and sometimes playing video games which I’m not sure is more intuitive or sensory. My only “non-physical” hobbies are reading and writing. I wanna sing and dance and play music but that’s just not what I’m good at. I sometimes like to express myself through fashion and aesthetics and I heard that’s a sensor thing.
This also fits well.

-How I described my love for nature in a previous post: “I remember seeing a sky full of stars for the first time and being astounded, just wanting to look at it forever. My favorite time is dusk and I love the feeling of being out and about right before dark, and how beautiful the skies are, and how the light hits everything perfectly. My favorite season is summer because of the warmth of the sun, blue skies, green grass, colorful flowers, but I also enjoy the colors of autumn. Sometimes I’ve wanted to just pull a Christopher McCandless and live in the wilderness, taking it all in, exploring.a’
Not sure what to make of this in regards to cognitive functions.

-I can sometimes notice things that others don’t. I’ll see something in the corner of my eye, and it turns out to be a small animal or something, but no one else seems to notice.
Again, that could be ASD attention to detail.

-This is more likely than not my ASD but: I like to feel the texture of things, like soft blankets / pillows, or twirling my fingers in my necklace chain. On the other hand, I dislike things like tags on my clothes or hair growing past my ears, I notice it too much and it makes me uncomfortable.
Definitely more ASD than Se/Si.

How I might use Ni:
-Sometimes I had hunches or feelings of dread that came true, but they are far and few in between. The examples that stick to me in my head was this feeling I had that something was wrong between me and some of my friends doing several points in my life, and it turned out their feelings toward me were changing.
Honestly, Ni isn't dependant on if the hunches come thrue or not. It's more about the hunches and feelings themselves rather than their value.

-I think I could see Fi-Ni loop too, but not as much as Fi-Si. Sometimes I look at things I did in the distant or recent past and feel scared of potential social consequences in the near or distant future. I sometimes wonder what people from way back think of me now, if I’ll ever run into them again (directly or indirectly) in either a positive “false hope” or in a negative way, and if my failures will come back to bite me.
I'm not very big on 'loops' for practical purposes. They can often distract from actual data in typing someone.

-I think I’m insightful and can pick up on people’s hidden motivations or feelings sometimes but I’m not sure how accurate that is.
That could fit with tert Ni, but it could fit with lots of other things too.

How I might NOT be Se:

-I want to be in the present more but struggle to. I just have a hard time feeling attached to my emotions and environment in the moment, but I do want to. I want to be experience life as it is happening and feel in touch with the present moment, not the past or future as I tend to be. Nowadays I barely feel connected to my immediate physical surroundings or even my feelings because I’m just thinking constantly. Not sure if it was always like that, though it could’ve been, but in a healthier way.
ADD tends to prevent you from being in the present, so that could be a factor.
Other than that, there's a difference between ISFP and ESFP and this is definitely a big part of it.

-I don't follow the "trendy" crowd nor care what's really trendy or "cool".
That's definitely not required for being ISFP. I think most ISFPs don't go for what's trendy or cool.

-I am not always aware of my environment and can lack spatial or bodily awareness. I can be clumsy and run into things, or knock things over. It takes me time to learn new physical skills, like driving. (could possibly just be my ADD or aspergers)
I could see that as being part of the ADD. Most Se-users are quite in tune with their environment but it's more about how you respond to things in your environment than about physical skills.
This one could go both ways.

-I really, really, don’t like competitive sports or physically taxing activities. (unless it’s field hockey, biking, hiking or swimming. I like those things.)
You don't have to like everything of course, just having one passion could be enough.

-I’m not great at processing present information sometimes, I tend to space out a lot and miss details. (could possibly be my ADD or aspergers)
That's a combination of those things and the IxFP type. ISFPs are often similar to this.

Not sure on:

-I feel I can be either “head in the clouds” or “down to earth” depending on the situation.

-I use a mix of figurative and literal speech. I can also be blunt at times. I get my ideas across better when writing rather than speaking, where I stumble over words and can’t plan out exactly what I need to say.

-I’m really introspective.

-I can be daydreamy, sometimes.

-I like to write fiction but work so much better when bouncing off on someone’s ideas (like post by post role-play).

-People tell me I’m good at bringing out the “small details” in my artwork (is that Si or Se? potentially both?)
Many of those last few things are behaviours that could go either way.

Overall it looks to me like ISFP fits better than INFP, but I've just seen a snapshot of you as a whole. ASD and ADD can really make typing hard so I understand the difficulties here.
For me though, ISFP fits the above information better than INFP.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts