Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some might think they are logical whereas others might think otherwise. Either way, the exact use of the word 'logic' can be different for everyone because technically there is no right or wrong and there is a reason behind everything. There's some logic for you, some might disagree..you see what I did there. Anyway, I want to see how the definition and standards of logic change depending on the thinker.

So it's up to you guys now to talk about how you determine whether someone is being logical

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Logic to me is whether their opinion is based on facts (or possible facts). If they believe in something based on blind emotions or "because someone said so" then I don't view it logical.

ISTJ's love the facts. For a different MBTI type, there will be other answers.

·
Banned
16,307 Posts
Math • Language = Logic

Logic can't exist outside of language, nor can it exist without mathematical parameters.

Astrology for example... is it logical? Only to those who understand the language and the mathematical formulas to calculate. Though modern astrology is a lot worse than ancient astrology, using weaker formulas because the good ones were destroyed by people who wanted to rule over others. It's kind of like if calculus disappeared and we had to calculate curves.. it wouldn't be logical but rather approximative.

So logic = non approximative language

·
Banned
2,042 Posts

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,393 Posts
Ti: Does it make sense to me whether I like it or not?

Te: Can you prove it concretely?

Feelers have a much harder time asking these questions. It's what personally matters to them, so while they can be very logical, they don't feel bound by objective data.

·
Registered
365 Posts
A logical conclusion is one that adheres to a "sound" process of reasoning and rejects principles that are built upon fallacious premises. To be logical, one must recognize logical conclusions and the process by which they are reached, and act in a way that is mindful of them.

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
Logic to me has a lot to do with finding the congruence thru possible methods of action or operation. Or the connection in pre existing as far as pattern. I tend to look at pros and cons of choices which result in action or operation.

NFJ (so all the same functions) are very similar btw. Big difference tho they seek for flow of operation thru group harmony. While I seek group harmony thru the flow of operations running smoothly. Both have a similar ideal result in mind just an opposite method. I believe if the operations are tended to properly and ergonomically it will run like a well oiled machine while an NFJ approach is more about commemoration of the group itself making the machine run.

So I guess a preoccupation in finding the function or use within the process of everything.

Te & Ti both are more bottom line than Fe & Fi generally. Te more so tho. Te relies on existing evidence while Ti questions it. Both are useful methods within healthy proportions.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
False. "Logic" has a standard definition, so the word can definitely be misused.
Wait, I just realized that you seem to be using "logic" in the narrow sense of "reason for something."

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
Logics are things that you can study. Classical logic features the law of contradiction. Yes��.
Sometimes using the word logic, I refer to deductive reasoning or a priori reasoning.

Commonly, people use the word logic synonymously with rationality. "Is that a logical thing to do?" Meaning, "is that a rational thing to do?" Rationality is dependent on some set of assumptions that we make. There is nothing universal about it. Typically people understand the implicit assumptions that others make to be useful or valid.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Logic is the ability to construct a correct reasoning. Although logic existed way before Aristotle, he was the one who formulate the basis of logic with his theory of syllogism which is a logical argument that applies deductive reasoning to arrive at a conclusion based at least on two propositions or premises, assuming that these propositions are true.
Example with the classical :
- All men are mortal (major premise)
- Socrate is a man (minor premise)
- Therefore Socrate is mortal (conclusion)

Now the propositions have to be valid to be correct in regards of logic which deal with truth or false, if not we call it sophism when the fallacy (proposition being false) is intend to deceive or paralogism when the fallacy is unintentional.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts