Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to post this while I have the thought in my head, so I apologize for being so brief...

Do any of you relate to being better at thinking, reading, writing, or any form of concentrated mental activity at night. I'm not really thinking of problem-solving, but creative thinking. I just re-discovered the difference for me trying to concentrate on something during the day or at night when everyone else is at sleep and it is dark outside and I can listen to music and shut out the world and not be disturbed. My thoughts seem so much more focused and I'm not nearly as easily walking off with my mind in other directions, but manage to stay focused on my own thinking for much longer.

Do you have this too? Or have any thoughts about why?

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
I just want to post this while I have the thought in my head, so I apologize for being so brief...

Do any of you relate to being better at thinking, reading, writing, or any form of concentrated mental activity at night. I'm not really thinking of problem-solving, but creative thinking. I just re-discovered the difference for me trying to concentrate on something during the day or at night when everyone else is at sleep and it is dark outside and I can listen to music and shut out the world and not be disturbed. My thoughts seem so much more focused and I'm not nearly as easily walking off with my mind in other directions, but manage to stay focused on my own thinking for much longer.

Do you have this too? Or have any thoughts about why?
I'll get back to you on this in a few hours. It's only a quarter after 5pm where I'm at.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I just re-discovered the difference for me trying to concentrate on something during the day or at night when everyone else is at sleep and it is dark outside and I can listen to music and shut out the world and not be disturbed.
Please get out of my head! :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I absolutely think better at night. I think our type is drawn to solitude. Things are much quieter at night. I prefer the darkness, the crisp air, and the stillness of everything around me. I also get really melancholy at night sometimes. That's another INFJ trait :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Oh for shizzle I'm like that! Besides the quiet, it's also like I'm not subconsciously making sure that everyone is alright or okay. Like all of the feelers I have out testing the waters on a constant basis, is able to come back to me and be mine for that time since everyone is asleep. Also, I can't work on my mental "to do" list for the most part because it's too late and has to wait for the next day. So it's also the only "guilt free" time to do things just for me that I allow myself. Cuz I'm such a slave driver! :crazy:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I absolutely think better at night. I think our type is drawn to solitude. Things are much quieter at night. I prefer the darkness, the crisp air, and the stillness of everything around me. I also get really melancholy at night sometimes. That's another INFJ trait :)
agreed!

night is the peaceful time where there is space to think! i get energized at night! i know no one is going to turn up unexpectedly at my house and disturb me! my kids are asleep........and there is so much space within the silence!!!!:laughing:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Yes. I wish I had more time at night to think. It is a problem because I should be sleeping instead. I love it though. My mind just gets up and goes and I have wonderful revelations and can see everything so clearly.

I think it has a lot to do with people not being around to. I don't have to feel them or focus on them - no new info coming in from the outside. I can just work through the info that I have gathered and from within.

·
Registered
151 Posts
For me, thinking during night hours usually result in rather unproductive melancholy. I might come up with some ideas, but they won't stand the scrutinizing test in revealing daylight.

For me the best time is very early morning, before sunrise. Too late for drunk people to sing in the street (they usually pass out at 4 in the morning...), and too early for the working class to start flooding the streets (where I live, very few people go to work at 5:30 in the morning). Just love that quiet and peaceful time before the world wakes up.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Caffine helps me think more clearly though too much then it makes me disorientated and need to burn it off quickly to allow me to think straight.

But yes from last night and many nights I can assure everybody I am a night person. I operate on a much higher level during the evening, I love the tranquil atmosphere during the New Zealand summers in the evening which leads to a good night to unravel my thoughts.

Alcohol helps too, people love it when I'm drunk though I rarely drink.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Wow! I hadnt thought of this as being an INFJ trait. Yup, Im completely like this. I'm always disappointed if I have to go to bed earlier than midnight for whatever reason. The best part of day is the night.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I ALWAYS come up with the best ideas while in bed before sleeping. I remember for a while I was writing poetry quite often as therapy for dealing with bad emotions. During the day, rarely did I come up with the best words to describe but just before I fell asleep it was swarming to me like a wave.

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
I don't do mornings; they do me! :crazy: Give me night...sweet peace around and amongst myself. No one to say, Dalien...
Living where I do, there is so much daytime noise and going ons that that in its' self can become overwhelming at times.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep, its true. When i lay in bed I most of the time think of what I did that day, the things that happened etc. I think it's also because there is no distraction from your surrounding.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes, and problem solving too. I always do my homework/study after 7pm

My homework sometimes I do at 4pm, because I am at my grandma's house and it's really quiet here...all you hear are birds, every now and then dogs...

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
Although I can concentrate whenever I concentrate on concentrating,

I love the night. Cold + Darkness are my recipe for success. I hate HATE direct sunlight, i get all antsy etc. (I never did understand sunbathers).

Caffeine helps me too, I have a Coca-Cola collection which i have been keeping since age 3, although i've switched to water recently because i'm getting bad (health related) press.

I also hate being full, i like being just over the border of hungry

Yeah but mostly its cold plus darkness that keeps me in shipshape!.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts